Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Policenaut posted:

But I didn't even buy any from her the first time, I just noticed she had them for sale but then when I went back to buy some she didn't sell them anymore.

Huh, she sold them when I went into the Valley at neutral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

So I just need 10 in Faith to qualify for the Evacuation miracle?

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Kessel posted:

So I just need 10 in Faith to qualify for the Evacuation miracle?

Yeah, and the 20,000 souls it costs to buy it. It's worth it.

Squint
Jul 14, 2007

Extremely Not Bad
Evacuation is indispensable. For the price of four one-time-use Splinters of Keystone you have a miracle that gives the same effect. Knowing you can always return to the Nexus from wherever you are with all of your souls collected takes a lot of the stress out of exploring unknown areas or potentially getting lost.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
So does One-time revival only work once per trip into a level, or only one EVER. The description is a little unclear, so can anyone weigh in on its worth?

Nuitari
Jun 17, 2005

Shit, Piss, Fuck, Cunt, Cocksucker, Motherfucker and Tits.

Hackan Slash posted:

So does One-time revival only work once per trip into a level, or only one EVER. The description is a little unclear, so can anyone weigh in on its worth?

Cast it, stays on you for the entire level I believe (haven't paid enough attention to see if it stays if you return to the Nexus, I doubt it does).

You reach 0 health, kicks in, spell no longer on you.

Recast ASAP. Back on you.

Repeat.

You can keep it on you as much as you want as long as you recast it when it kicks in. Just be sure to deal with whats killing you first, or you'll likely die again before getting the 2nd cast off.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Zarick posted:

Yeah, and the 20,000 souls it costs to buy it. It's worth it.

When and where is the earliest I can buy it?

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.
I've tossed around the idea of importing this since the first thread. Does it play somewhat like a Devil May Cry game in terms of style and difficulty? That's the general impression I'm getting from you guys' descriptions; but it's hard to tell from the gameplay videos I've seen. Also, how big of a deal is multiplayer? I'm assuming you can go through the whole game without ever seeing another person and not miss much; but teaming up can be fun?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

EvilSlug posted:

I've tossed around the idea of importing this since the first thread. Does it play somewhat like a Devil May Cry game in terms of style and difficulty? That's the general impression I'm getting from you guys' descriptions; but it's hard to tell from the gameplay videos I've seen. Also, how big of a deal is multiplayer? I'm assuming you can go through the whole game without ever seeing another person and not miss much; but teaming up can be fun?

Uh... doesn't play like DMC at all. It basically plays how Ultima IX SHOULD have played.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Kessel posted:

When and where is the earliest I can buy it?

As soon as you beat Phalanx in 1-1, go to the Nexus, there's a guy sitting around the corner from the blacksmith and storage guy. Do keep in mind that you need a Symbol of God to cast it. There's a fairly easy one in 4-1... if you can take on the rolling skeletons there. Bring a 100% damage resist shield like the heater. Block their rolling attacks, avoid the heavy swing, and it's not too bad. The Symbol is right in front of a fortress wall with two skeleton archers atop it and a fog door in the doorway.

DaveTheButcher
Sep 29, 2005

I was one of the 3 people who liked the King's Field series and as I'm just discovering the existence of this game and seeing how awesome it looks, I'm thinking about selling my XBOX 360 and all of my games (I don't like any of them anyways) and buying a PS3 and then importing this game. I haven't been geeked out for a game like this since I was a kid. But it seems from a few posts in this thread that people are having a hard time importing it lately based on limited supplies, so I'm not sure if it would be worth going through all of that trouble only to be disappointed by waiting for months and not getting the game.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

You can always check Ebay. Quite a few people got their copies there.

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

Just chiming in to say that any brave mages should give firestorm a try against bosses. It uses a ton of mana, you have to be really close and you're open to attack for quite a bit, but man is the damage worth it. I threw two at the 4-2 boss and he was a down to a sliver of health. Beat rolling around shooting soul light at him only to die when I got jammed into a corner.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Holy Jesus, New Game+ is tough. Farming souls in 4-1 is goddamn insanely hard without your thief ring. If you don't have it on those loving archers see you from a hundred million miles away, hit you for a hundred million damage. I'm surprised they don't brick your system if they kill you too.

You can't screw up there or else you're dead. In fact, you can't screw up in New Game+ period or else 95% of your health is gone in one hit. My advice? Stay in your original game forever. New Game+ is full of cheap bullshit. If you want to venture into New Game+, be Soul level infinity, maybe then you can survive more than two hits. Maybe.

Gonmon
Feb 16, 2009
That or learn to co-op all the goddamn time. It helps alot when you just start picking up people and run through sections for eachother.

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks
Has anyone else had any issues with the auto-save crapping out? For some reason no matter how far I get it will always load to the exact same spot.

Beaumains
Aug 8, 2007
HURFDURF scary stories are dumb, I'm so cool i lack even the rudimentary analytical abilities to decipher basic themes and archetypes, anything without fast cars and explosions is for babbies, heh im so goddamn tough and grown up :smug:

EvilSlug posted:

If you love Devil May Cry 1, you will love this game. If you're thinking more of DMC3 and DMC4's emphasis on super crazy combos with limitless potential, not so much... but Demon's Souls and DMC1 both have good gothic atmosphere, excellent enemy design, and extremely well tuned, difficult-but-fair gameplay. Melee in Demon's Souls is way more restrained than DMC, but the core elements are there: you must utilize the proper offense, and properly defend/evade the enemy's attacks or meet a quick death--button mashers will die extremely frequently.

However, DS has a stamina meter. This prevents you from waging an all-out offense because you will simply be unable to attack after a certain point. DMC wants you to go all-out with stylish moves, while DS wants you to really think about the loving mess you've got yourself into.

But yeah. Buy the game.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Just in case you were wondering, when Mephistopheles has you assassinate people in the Nexus, they stay dead. If you're going to miss someone's services, don't take 'em out.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

ScratchAndSniff posted:

Has anyone else had any issues with the auto-save crapping out? For some reason no matter how far I get it will always load to the exact same spot.

Sometimes I really wish I had this problem.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Tortolia posted:

Just in case you were wondering, when Mephistopheles has you assassinate people in the Nexus, they stay dead. If you're going to miss someone's services, don't take 'em out.

He shows up when your character tendency is 100% black, right? What's the best way to do this -- invade people as a black phantom?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

McCoy Pauley posted:

He shows up when your character tendency is 100% black, right? What's the best way to do this -- invade people as a black phantom?

Yeah, that's what I did - just killed people in 4-2 a few times until I was black, then he's on the second level of the Nexus (he's pretty apparent).

He seems to have some relation to Yurt, though it may just be coincidental. I looked on the second floor, didn't see him, but did run into Yurt who was talking about how life wasn't precious. I attacked/killed Yurt, he mentioned that Mephistopheles was right about me, then the next time I entered the Nexus Meph was there. I'm uncertain if killing Yurt is any sort of trigger.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

McCoy Pauley posted:

Invade as Black, get a new body, promptly suicide, then do it again. 2 cycles of that should take you from neutral to full black.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Oh god damnit, getting your connection dropped somehow resets your Tendency! I was farming Chunk of Cloudstone in 4-4 when I finally got my 6th Chunk of it for my +3 Fire Shield and I got dropped, so I reloaded and came back to the Nexus with my World 4 tendancy in Neutral after having been Pure Black! Damnit!

I was all well and good though, until I saw that +5 required two Pure Cloudstones! Damnit!

Drakkarim
May 4, 2005

Policenaut posted:

Oh god damnit, getting your connection dropped somehow resets your Tendency! I was farming Chunk of Cloudstone in 4-4 when I finally got my 6th Chunk of it for my +3 Fire Shield and I got dropped, so I reloaded and came back to the Nexus with my World 4 tendancy in Neutral after having been Pure Black! Damnit!

I was all well and good though, until I saw that +5 required two Pure Cloudstones! Damnit!

I've been playing offline when doing anything requiring tendency just so it doesn't randomly wipe out my progress.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Kessel posted:

What the gently caress happened to your avatar?

The Woz...he danced his way into my heart.

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird

Drakkarim posted:

I've been playing offline when doing anything requiring tendency just so it doesn't randomly wipe out my progress.

In regards to this...is there ANY way to raise your white tendency offline? The only thing I can really think of is killing bosses. If they are all dead are you poo poo outta luck?

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.

Beaumains posted:

If you love Devil May Cry 1, you will love this game...But yeah. Buy the game.
Thanks for the info, that's what I had in mind. Kind of a light DMC + Elder Scrolls hybrid combat system with serious difficulty. Good enough for me, even if the world tendency and online stuff sounds tedious or annoying as hell. :)

Gay Rumsfeld
Nov 12, 2006
For anyone still shopping around for a place to buy this from, the best deal I could find anywhere was from this guy on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PS3-Demons-soul...p3286.m20.l1116

$59.99 for the game itself, and just $3 for shipping anywhere in the world (it takes 2 weeks, but you can pay extra if you want it faster). Anyone who's not in a huge hurry can pick it up here for $62.99. I ordered Saturday and got shipping confirmation Sunday afternoon.

The guy only has 4 left though, so if you want one you better get it fast.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I hadn't realized that the Talisman of Beasts not only requires 18 will, but 18 faith to use. I only had 10 faith. :v:

Handy little item, though, even if the only miracle I have equipped and can equip this game is Evacuation (thanks to killing Urbain and company).

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Is it possible to get Boletaria to pure white, post-patch on a first play through?

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

For someone just starting out, is Wanderer a good choice? The wiki hurts more than it helps really, there's no info about it past "it's a hybrid of thief" but doesn't really say thief and what else.

Thinking about either Soldier or Wanderer or Thief, I just wanna hit guys with swords and do big damage and not wear huge armors.

GhostdogDK
Sep 14, 2003
Insert witty comment here

PUPPY PUZZLE posted:

For someone just starting out, is Wanderer a good choice? The wiki hurts more than it helps really, there's no info about it past "it's a hybrid of thief" but doesn't really say thief and what else.

Thinking about either Soldier or Wanderer or Thief, I just wanna hit guys with swords and do big damage and not wear huge armors.

I just got the game a couple of days ago and started off as a Wanderer. So far I've killed everything melee except for the flamelurker boss. No huge problems so far. I'd say its a cross between Thief and Soldier.

GhostdogDK fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Mar 30, 2009

Squint
Jul 14, 2007

Extremely Not Bad

Quinton posted:

Is it possible to get Boletaria to pure white, post-patch on a first play through?

I've managed to get all worlds pure white by defeating all three bosses while corporeal. In offline mode, you don't have to do this in one session, but the tricky part is not dying while in your body (at least not in the world you're trying to get pure white).

I'm about to try to get Boletarian Palace to pure white by first getting it to pure black and then killing the primeval demon, all of black phantoms I can find, and the 1-3 boss. If that doesn't do it, then I'll try to kill the 1-4 boss too, which should hopefully be enough. If that's not enough... well, I'll let you all know so you don't try it. :)

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Quinton posted:

Yes, I did 1-1 and then brought in two phantoms for 1-2. After that I spent 20 minutes slowly grinding down the dragon using soul arrow and waiting for mana to refill as a noble and that was enough. If you haven't done 1-2 before there's a very good chance you'll die on your way there or on the boss and thus put pure white tendency well out of your reach for now.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Be gone with you! You'll spoil my focus.

Hamburger Test posted:

Yes, I did 1-1 and then brought in two phantoms for 1-2. After that I spent 20 minutes slowly grinding down the dragon using soul arrow and waiting for mana to refill as a noble and that was enough. If you haven't done 1-2 before there's a very good chance you'll die on your way there or on the boss and thus put pure white tendency well out of your reach for now.

A simple fix for worrying about your body is suiciding in another world and coming back to 1-2 so you don't have to worry about your body, just getting there, and using an Emph Eye to res. I doubt you can fail the 1-2 boss if you get two people to help ^^;

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Talran posted:

A simple fix for worrying about your body is suiciding in another world and coming back to 1-2 so you don't have to worry about your body, just getting there, and using an Emph Eye to res. I doubt you can fail the 1-2 boss if you get two people to help ^^;
If you do go off and suicide in another world you would be starting that world off lower than normal. And if you're on your first playthrough I'd say there's a still good chance at dying at the boss him self.

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Mar 30, 2009

Tzar
Jun 9, 2005

Dammit DeeDee, you've failed me for the last time!

Talran posted:

Didn't the patch make blue phantoms dying in your game count towards black tendency?, better make sure everyone knows what to do with the boss if so.

Gherkin Jerkin
Jan 22, 2006

With great power, comes great crunchability...

Rhaka posted:

Oh loving gently caress me.

While standing next to Blacksmith Ed, I accidentally dropped my controller. I caught it, but in doing so, hit him twice with my Claymore. Now he just beats my rear end, and I can no longer talk to him.

Any way to reset that? gently caress. Had all the stuff for my Large Sword of Searching, too...

That's why you should quit out immediately after doing this. Yeah, I suppose technically it's cheating, but I think it's justified in this case.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Tzar posted:

Didn't the patch make blue phantoms dying in your game count towards black tendency?, better make sure everyone knows what to do with the boss if so.

Yes. Blue phantoms dying moves you towards black tendency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life
How do I get more L. splinters of shrpstone?

• Locked thread