Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

I just realized that violins/violas/chellos are amazing in pop songs.

Example - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCvJwzDQTBM

the parts with the violins (?) are awesome. Any more songs that have something like that in them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Omena posted:

Can anyone recommend me bands like Sublime? I've tried Last.fm but I'm not a huge fan of dub music, which seems to be all I'm getting. I like the reggae taste of Sublime.

Uhh, dub is instrumental reggae basically. I've never heard Sublime so I don't know the specifics but that's such a weird request.

scumble
Dec 10, 2005

It's Fozzie Bear, not fuzzy bear.

Econosaurus posted:

the parts with the violins (?) are awesome. Any more songs that have something like that in them?

While he doesn't often use a full-on orchestra, Andrew Bird went to school for violin performance and used to play fiddle for the Squirrel Nut Zippers and is pretty much the man. He does lots of looping with his violin, be it plucking it like a mandolin or playing it with a bow. Try http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV-IDVdDx78 or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g48C0CEL0dQ or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRk2iHkOcNE

PS cello doesn't have an h :eng101:

Omena
Aug 29, 2008

One day we will die
and our ashes will fly from the aeroplane over the sea

HAI posted:

Uhh, dub is instrumental reggae basically. I've never heard Sublime so I don't know the specifics but that's such a weird request.

Ugh, I'm terrible at genres, being a music newbie and all. Umm, just more bands like Sublime would be awesome if you guys know of any.

bumpizza
Feb 11, 2006
Long Beach Dub Allstars are made up by the remnants of Sublime, they're decent. Also, try Dub Congress, they're kind of similar.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I posted something a while back maybe it got missed.
I'm looking for dark psytrance. It seems more difficult to find than it should be. Most electronic music is cheesy but I like my dance music fast and dark and trippy, so maybe there is a better genre than dark psytrance?

Also I'd be interested in some ambient music. But all the stuff I find has more going on than I'd like, is there ambient stuff out there that is really really ambient? Maybe even if it was like nature sounds (river running) + a little bit of something else? That sounds ideal if it exists

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HAI posted:

Really? I don't doubt you but all the dub I've heard sounds a lot less like reggae and almost what happens when dance music and reggae have a black swan for a child. The "skanking" aspect of reggae seems totally amiss for one - which I always thought was quite fundamental.. Or I could be wrong?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

echinopsis posted:

Really? I don't doubt you but all the dub I've heard sounds a lot less like reggae and almost what happens when dance music and reggae have a black swan for a child. The "skanking" aspect of reggae seems totally amiss for one - which I always thought was quite fundamental.. Or I could be wrong?

You're wrong...

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Omena posted:

Can anyone recommend me bands like Sublime? I've tried Last.fm but I'm not a huge fan of dub music, which seems to be all I'm getting. I like the reggae taste of Sublime.
I've been listening to the Expendables lately, they don't sound like Sublime per se but they remind me a lot of them. Pick up Gettin' Filthy, it's their drummer's favorite (I asked him!). My favorite tracks off it are "Let Her Go," "Head In My Hands" and "Sacrifice."

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

Omena posted:

Ugh, I'm terrible at genres, being a music newbie and all. Umm, just more bands like Sublime would be awesome if you guys know of any.

Maybe try Operaton Ivy or Rancid.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Operation Ivy and Rancid are more ska and punk I would say. Try Pepper. I think they've got that chill feeling of Sublime with the ska/reggae off-beat guitar chord. They get into a little funky rock too and sound like the Red Hot Chili Peppers sometimes too.

breaks
May 12, 2001

echinopsis posted:

You're not totally wrong, you're just thinking of a different dub. There's dub like King Tubby and then there's dub as in Pole. The former came first and the latter is influenced and based on it, and obviously inherited the name, but it's gone so far off in another direction that as you observed they are mostly separate things in practice.

By the way, does anyone have some recommendations for hosed up, quirky, or otherwise reasonably weird "pop" music. Examples include Camille, Tujiko Noriko, Bjork of course, Dani Siciliano, some Anja Garbarek stuff, Susanna and the Magical Orchestra... Electronics aren't strictly necessary but I guess all of these have an electronic sound.

breaks fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 27, 2009

19charactersorless.
Apr 26, 2006

If these guys do their job I might have my eyes back in as soon as Monday.

breaks posted:

By the way, does anyone have some recommendations for hosed up, quirky, or otherwise reasonably weird "pop" music. Examples include Camille, Tujiko Noriko, Bjork of course, Dani Siciliano, some Anja Garbarek stuff, Susanna and the Magical Orchestra... Electronics aren't strictly necessary but I guess all of these have an electronic sound.

You probably know this already but Robert Wyatt and Ryuichi Sakamoto are amazing. Scott Walker's later stuff and Mark Hollis could be appropriate too.

FlightyMcWenis
Jan 22, 2005

Okay recommendation megathread here's my question for you:

You know "How Soon Is Now?" I presume, and I think you will agree with me that The Smiths material doesn't generally sound like that song, it's far more acoustic, or non-overdriven guitars, folksy, poppy, etc... so my question is what bands actually sound like that song? I mean play smooth, kind of spacey, catchy alterna-rock?

Besides Morrisey himself.

FlightyMcWenis
Jan 22, 2005

And here's my contribution:

echinopsis posted:

Also I'd be interested in some ambient music. But all the stuff I find has more going on than I'd like, is there ambient stuff out there that is really really ambient? Maybe even if it was like nature sounds (river running) + a little bit of something else? That sounds ideal if it exists

I can help you here. Two places to start would be Brian Eno and Stars of the Lid. These are pure atmospherics. From there I can recommend some soundtracks, for example Brian Eno did a track for the Dune film score that is really quite excellent, and there's Robert Fripp's assorted work as well.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I'm looking for songs or bands that have a similar sort of sound to this song:

Incubus - Quicksand

Most of the reccomendations on Last.fm are for songs I know are nothing like it.

Anything that sounds as surreal as that I'd really like to hear more of, and I'm guessing for that I'd probably have to stumble into Electronic music, which isn't a genre I'm all that familiar with.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated :)

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

^^^ Check out UNKLE - Lonely Souls. That Incubus song reminds me of it

i_teefbrush_U
Jun 13, 2008
Where do I start with the blues? I listen to a lot of hip-hop and like a lot of blues/jazz inspired beats, and would like to expand a little further. I'm particularly interested in blues harp, so anything in that direction would be great.

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

The person can drink sake for the following five reasons. First of all, for the national holiday. Moreover, it fills with the nectar. Finally, for reasons. Next, to heal the dryness of the place. After that, to refuse the future
Fun Shoe

Econosaurus posted:

Ahh, then let's get you started with the classics. Electric Light Orchestra was one of the first groups to successfully meld strings with pop / progressive rock (mostly pop).

Here are some samples, mostly popular releases:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivFM0pYyUcY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC5kuFIAztA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98P-gu_vMRc

A track more progressive, but still heavily string-based:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfBUVpGvOOs

If you want a good place to get started, I would suggest the albums A New World Record, or Out of the Blue for the poppier sound.

You might also want to check out Eldorado, it's a concept album done in-entirety with a full orchestra (this is as-opposed to the dozen or-so backing strings you'll hear on most later ELO tracks). It has it's flaws, but it is a good listen.

defaultluser fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 29, 2009

coronalight
Oct 12, 2006

asdfghjkl;
I want more music like Algernon Cadwallader. I don't mean just the guitarwork, because then I'd get suggestions like American Football. I want some more bands with happy vocals with a free/messy style. I'm basically looking for a band similar to them that can make me just as happy. Algernon cheers me up like no other. They don't have to sound like Algernon, but that would be preferred.

teexas
Apr 13, 2007

Any suggestions on Philip Glass albums?

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

teexas posted:

Any suggestions on Philip Glass albums?

Kinda depends on what specific style of work you're looking for (solo piano, orchestral, one of his operas or movie soundtracks, etc). If you're looking for a broad introduction to his work I would get one of his compilation albums, the 'Oevres Majeurs' 2cd one is the only one i have and it's good. Otherwise, my personal favorite is Itaipu / The Canyon, followed by Music in Twelve Parts and the soundtracks to Mishima and Powwaqatsi

also re whoever asked for really ambient sound pulsey stuff, check out Robert Rich, The Orb, Pete Namlook, and Kompakt records pop ambient releases

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 30, 2009

dsh
Aug 2, 2003
I am having a birthday party on Saturday and need suggestions on popular music college-age chicks like to dance to. I'd like to have a decent playlist of 40 or so good songs I can just put on shuffle. Playing my collection of obscure indie and electronic music won't cut it. Anyone know where I could get a good list?

coronalight
Oct 12, 2006

asdfghjkl;
Night Ripper and Feed the Animals by Girl Talk will be all you need.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

i_teefbrush_U posted:

Where do I start with the blues? I listen to a lot of hip-hop and like a lot of blues/jazz inspired beats, and would like to expand a little further. I'm particularly interested in blues harp, so anything in that direction would be great.

Well blues and jazz aren't really the same thing at all, but if you're looking for blues harmonica, Sonny Boy Williamson II is one of the best harpists. For blues in general (with some harmonica) I'd recommend Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf.

dsh posted:

I am having a birthday party on Saturday and need suggestions on popular music college-age chicks like to dance to. I'd like to have a decent playlist of 40 or so good songs I can just put on shuffle. Playing my collection of obscure indie and electronic music won't cut it. Anyone know where I could get a good list?

Don't know if this is too hard rocking, but Andrew W.K.

Pomplamoose fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 31, 2009

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

Way Past Cool! posted:

Well blues and jazz aren't really the same thing at all, but if you're looking for blues harmonica, Sonny Boy Williamson II is one of the best harpists. For blues in general (with some harmonica) I'd recommend Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf.

You forgot Little Walter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtnJM8iUy38&feature=channel_page

*edit*

sorry if I sound like a snoot, I know a fifty year old harmonica player in a blues band XD

Munoma fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Mar 31, 2009

queenoffarts.edu
Nov 11, 2005

Anyone recommend a band that might sound somewhat similar to Air France?

krillatarium
Nov 6, 2008

dsh posted:

The dude who suggested Girl Talk is on the right track. College bitties go for dance/rap. Anything that is easy to dance to. Girl Talk and Flosstradamus are always hits. Also, Lil Wayne is a must. Try Young Jeezy, T-Pain, Akon, basically anyone you hear in clubs or radio.

For the guy looking for Sublime type stuff...I hate this genre, but I know some. Probably the biggest is Slightly Stoopid. Also, there is a Sublime cover/tribute band called Badfish.

And to the guy looking to entertain his 9-year old brother, go with catchy stuff. Honestly, that age is perfect for getting into pop punk like New Found Glory and (old) Saves The Day, which can definitely lead to diverse tastes later.

Angiepants
May 8, 2008
I somehow just got around to checking out The Hold Steady. I love Stay Positive, what album should I get next?

Foiltha
Jun 12, 2008
I've been listening to a lot Erykah Badu lately and gently caress, I've been seriously missing out all these years. She has an absolutely amazing voice, not to mention catchy melodies and funky basslines. The thing is, is there anything else like Erykah out there?

amishmatrix
Mar 21, 2009
Just discovered these guys but really know nothing about them. They're called Aberdeen City, its an alt indie rock group. A great song is Pretty Pet, got it here with a pretty cool vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5L3vMYoYWA

AndItsAllGone
Oct 8, 2003

Angiepants posted:

I somehow just got around to checking out The Hold Steady. I love Stay Positive, what album should I get next?

Just work backwards through their catalog. Try Boys and Girls in America next, then Separation Sunday, then Almost Killed Me.

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

Foiltha posted:

I've been listening to a lot Erykah Badu lately and gently caress, I've been seriously missing out all these years. She has an absolutely amazing voice, not to mention catchy melodies and funky basslines. The thing is, is there anything else like Erykah out there?

I've asked this a number of times in past recommendation threads and probably this one but no luck really. You might want to look back to some 70s singers to see their influence on her, for example Minnie Riperton is excellent. If you want an album that sounds like Baduizm then good luck cause I've never found one. Maybe try D'Angelo? Similar vibe.

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

Foiltha posted:

The closest thing I can think of is Joi, Pendulum Vibe. Mainly for the song "freedom."

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."

queenoffarts.edu posted:

Anyone recommend a band that might sound somewhat similar to Air France?

The Tough Alliance is very similar.

thetruancybot
Dec 26, 2008

by Fistgrrl
hey guise i'm getting into shoegaze, and i really enjoy Gala and Spooky by Lush and Loveless by My Bloody Valentine. what else should i check out?

MementoMori
Sep 3, 2008

thetruancybot posted:

hey guise i'm getting into shoegaze, and i really enjoy Gala and Spooky by Lush and Loveless by My Bloody Valentine. what else should i check out?

For some bands from within the past 5-10 years: Try "Future Perfect" by Autolux, "Microcastle" by Deerhunter and A Place to Bury Strangers' ST and Shocking Pinks' ST album - "You Can Make Me Feel Bad" has a really nice Loveless feel.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

thetruancybot posted:

The Jesus and Mary Chain's Psychocandy is early/proto-shoegaze and still one of the best albums in the genre. Darklands is also good but they never made another album quite like Psychocandy. After that I'd recommend Nowhere by Ride and Souvlaki by Slowdive. Don't forget MBV's first album, Isn't Anything, which isn't as refined as Loveless, but still has some great songs like the harder rocking "Feed Me with Your Kiss". Of course there's plenty of other bands and later fusions, but these are the essentials in my opinion.

tv iv is nerds
Feb 26, 2006

by angerbot
I'm looking for stuff like astronautalis. He's become a favorite of mine, specifically the song The Wordsmith and his sons.
Other artists I like in the same vein are Busdriver and Beck. I liked Beck's early music like odelay and midnight vultures over anything more recent past guero. His new poo poo just seems too listenable.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l3_gwIOTGI Loser live, more poo poo like this would be awesome.

As far as hip hop and rap goes, I've been listening to stuff like krypios, This is my hit, El-p is pretty good as well as Lyrics Born and Pigeon John.
Also if anyone has some recommendations for stuff like Lords of the underground that'd be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

tv iv is nerds posted:

As far as hip hop and rap goes, I've been listening to stuff like krypios, This is my hit, El-p is pretty good as well as Lyrics Born and Pigeon John.
Also if anyone has some recommendations for stuff like Lords of the underground that'd be great.

I think of Lords of the Underground more for their singles than for their albums, so maybe you should search for some early 90s mixtapes or podcasts. You can check out the rub's history of hip hop podcasts at http://brooklynradio.net/the-rub.