Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Holy poo poo, that's terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tastethehappy
Sep 11, 2008

What part of highly classified do you not understand?
If it makes anyone feel better, Alyson Hannigan just had her baby. So circle of life in the Whedonverse and all that jazz?

Still sucks about Lorne, though :(

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

I just picked up Buffy Seasons 1-4 from Wal-Mart for 15 bucks each. I'll start watching 'em soon, once I'm done with my current series.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.

tastethehappy posted:

If it makes anyone feel better, Alyson Hannigan just had her baby. So circle of life in the Whedonverse and all that jazz?

Still sucks about Lorne, though :(

I hope she names him Andy. :unsmith:

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Uncle Ulty posted:

I hope she names him Andy. :unsmith:

It's a girl.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20268972,00.html

quote:

Satyana Denisof

Friendly Geek
Aug 11, 2005
Your friendly neighborhood geek. Friendly and/or geeky since 1982.
Such awful news about Andy. He was absolutely one of the highlights of that show.

But good news about Alyson and Alexis's new baby. Congrats to them.

What a bittersweet day for the Whedonverse family.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Can somebody explain to me why everybody hates Angel for Angelus' actions? I can see not trusting him because of the possibility that he'll go all Angelus again, but Angel and Angelus are different beings entirely- why the hating Angel for something done by a demon who occupied his body?

thingfromtheswamp
Feb 25, 2009
Yeah, such a great loss. He was one of the best things about Angel. RIP.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I remember Andy Hallet's introduction - Episode 1 of season 2. I was seriously about to drop the show as it just wasn't holding my attention.

Fade in from black to a small centre of light. From the shadows appears a menacing demon. Green skin, horns and blood red eyes. The whole schmeer. Okay, I thought. Scary. Now what?

He sang. Goddamn demon karaoke. I was captured.

Best character introduction ever. I'll miss him.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Apr 1, 2009

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Gorilla Salad posted:

Rest in peace, Andy. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glLWdVlWsUM

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

Pope Guilty posted:

Can somebody explain to me why everybody hates Angel for Angelus' actions? I can see not trusting him because of the possibility that he'll go all Angelus again, but Angel and Angelus are different beings entirely- why the hating Angel for something done by a demon who occupied his body?

Because the shows/characters are somewhat inconsistent in the way they treat the human/vampire/ensouled-vampire split. Especially comparing Angel and Spike's situations.

Xander and Giles were the only ones with relatively pragmatic views throughout the whole thing (albeit for different reasons): "There's always a monster underneath and even if he has a souuuuuuul now, that can change. So the :drac: bastards can either gently caress right off or get staked."

Of course Giles gets poo poo on in season 7 for this re: Spike, but I'd still say he made the right call.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
Well, even though at times they act like the demon is a completely separate personality from the human host, there are other times where it is made semi-clear or even mentioned that the demon takes on traits of the host or part of the host sticks around.

Angel mentions it himself when they're talking about the alternate dimension vampire Willow.

And Spike was an evil man-killing vampire, yes, but never the evil-for-the-sake-of-evil type that Angelus was. I think that was because of their human personalities. So, even if Angel's soul happens to be around at the time, its like everyone knows there is something in his human part that makes his vampire version extra-special evil.

That's my take anyways.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
I'm'a pour out a forty and sing Viva Las Vegas in honor of our fallen hero.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
I was sort of hoping this was a morbid April Fool's Day joke. This blows.

Brimmy
Jan 13, 2006

"Never gonna give it up, Adrian."
Sucks about Andy. Met him before and he was a genuinely lovely guy.

RIP old Green Guy.

S11001001
Jun 21, 2004

the sexiest thing is trust

DoggPickle posted:

Well, even though at times they act like the demon is a completely separate personality from the human host, there are other times where it is made semi-clear or even mentioned that the demon takes on traits of the host or part of the host sticks around.

I think the notion of them being completely separate is a mutually reinforced lie. Slayers and watchers are more comfortable with the idea of the human being entirely gone from the vampires they kill (never mind those dead Knights of Byzantium), and Angel would prefer people thinking of him as completely disconnected from Angelus.

Bunnita
Jun 12, 2002

Was it everything you thought it would be?
I just read about Andy, this is terrible. He was such a great singer, and the sad thing is I wouldn't know him from Adam walking down the street, I only knew his green face.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Gorilla Salad posted:

I remember Andy Hallet's introduction - Episode 1 of season 2. I was seriously about to drop the show as it just wasn't holding my attention.

Fade in from black to a small centre of light. From the shadows appears a menacing demon. Green skin, horns and blood red eyes. The whole schmeer. Okay, I thought. Scary. Now what?

He sang. Goddamn demon karaoke. I was captured.

Well said. It was a great intro. I kinda missed that they gave up on Lorne's more "gray" aspects -- he always had a slightly sinister feel about him in his early appearances, not so much evil, but in a "he's a messenger of the gods and doesn't care about our morals" kinda way. But that aspect of the character went away, replaced by an utterly trustworthy and loyal soul. Did Lorne have a soul, actually, being a demon and all?

Coincidentally, the Pylea arc has been airing on TNT the last couple of days, four episodes which are in large part about Lorne. Got to say I had a moment when Lorne says goodbye to his "mother" for the last time.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
ImDB has revealed to me that Amber "Tara" Benson and Adam "Warren" Bousch are dating and cohabiting. :ironicat:

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

Pope Guilty posted:

ImDB has revealed to me that Amber "Tara" Benson and Adam "Warren" Bousch are dating and cohabiting. :ironicat:

Something about that's downright unsettling.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

Whoa. I. I> Does not compute......

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGe-U4ypMXw&NR=1

Here's Andy as Andy doing a little interview at a con.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

greatn posted:

I half expected "Is that it, am I done?"

I don't know what this says about me as a person, but I don't think I like it. Still, :(

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
On less depressing news, it looks like Serenity will live on.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!

MacBook Air Gamer posted:

If by "Serenity" you mean COLBERT! :rock:

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978

MacBook Air Gamer posted:

The bar graph looks like "Serenity" is giving the bird. I approve.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

quote:

"I think a lot of people would choose to be green. Your shade, if they had the choice."

Now I'm sad.

Jems
Mar 23, 2005

Duckling, darling.

greatn posted:

Aww, Groo is so cute in the background hitting the high C in this!

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."
"Oh AAAAAAAAAAAAANDY, yeah you came and you brought lots of humour...and we'll miss you a lot...."

Oh Andy. :(

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

redshirt posted:

Well said. It was a great intro. I kinda missed that they gave up on Lorne's more "gray" aspects -- he always had a slightly sinister feel about him in his early appearances, not so much evil, but in a "he's a messenger of the gods and doesn't care about our morals" kinda way. But that aspect of the character went away, replaced by an utterly trustworthy and loyal soul. Did Lorne have a soul, actually, being a demon and all?

I think he just decided to be an awesome guy on his own accord. I think that with all the demon characters that have been good or neutral, we can safely say that having a soul doesn't really have much to do with it. The difference for Angel is Angelus versus Liam.

A Big Dark Yak posted:

Of course Giles gets poo poo on in season 7 for this re: Spike, but I'd still say he made the right call.

Giles always makes the right call. gently caress the Scoobies and gently caress Spike.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

If not Spike, who'd have worn the amulet?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Pope Guilty posted:

If not Spike, who'd have worn the amulet?

Buffy, probably. Or possibly Angel.

On an unrelated note, I'm doing a Buffy rewatch, and I had forgotten how great of an episode Restless is. Whedon does a great job with dream logic and imagery.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

ShakeZula posted:

Buffy, probably. Or possibly Angel.

Angel was Wolfram & Hart's plan if I'm not mistaken. Had he worn the amulet, the partners would have suddenly had a lot of control over him once he was bound to the Wolfram & Hart offices.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Psimitry posted:

Angel was Wolfram & Hart's plan if I'm not mistaken. Had he worn the amulet, the partners would have suddenly had a lot of control over him once he was bound to the Wolfram & Hart offices.

I thought the amulet was part of Lindsey's whole scheme? Having Angel as a ghost wouldn't really do W&H any good, seeing as how they want him combat ready to help their side win the apocalypse.

My thought is that W&H knew Buffy would send Angel away and give the amulet to Spike, and they intended for Spike to burn up and die and resolve the two ensouled vampires conundrum. Lindsey just managed to work some mojo to ensure Spike's essence would be captured inside the amulet when it did its thing, allowing him to send Spike a box o' flash that would magic him back to corporeality.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Gordon Shumway posted:

I thought the amulet was part of Lindsey's whole scheme?

ok. then that's it. I knew it was something like that. I knew it wasn't just "hey! since now you're with us we've got this groovy amulet thing that might help someone you know out!"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Gordon Shumway posted:

I thought the amulet was part of Lindsey's whole scheme? Having Angel as a ghost wouldn't really do W&H any good, seeing as how they want him combat ready to help their side win the apocalypse.

Smells like a double retcon. First, an assumption that Angel wouldn't use it? He didn't know what it could do, neither did Buffy. Assuming Buffy will send Angel away seems like a huge stretch as well.

AND! Either Lindsey gave the medallion to W&H, or somehow changed what it was intended to do, or, he's bullshitting. Regardless, Lindsey's addition to the end of Season 4 Angel/Season 7 Buffy feels tacked on, no doubt because it is.

Now, trusting an amulet from W&H in the first place? Madness.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Watching Firefly for the first time now. Man, Out of Gas was an awsome episode. So... :D what're the chances... that they'll start it up again. Yeah yeah it's not going to happen. gently caress!

Anyways is there anything out there that will ease my pain when I've finished Firefly?

tastethehappy
Sep 11, 2008

El Grillo posted:

Anyways is there anything out there that will ease my pain when I've finished Firefly?
Serenity?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

tastethehappy posted:

Serenity?

Should've mentioned that I watched Serenity first :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tastethehappy
Sep 11, 2008

El Grillo posted:

Should've mentioned that I watched Serenity first :)

I'm just happy I got the name right :)

(I've never seen anything Firefly :()

• Locked thread