Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Brackhar posted:

Dark Silver shield has very low hit res. It will fully block any attack yeah, but it will chew through your stamina quickly.

By default the Hit Res on it is pretty poor, but if you fully upgrade it it's got better Hit Res than anything but the Tower Shield or an upgraded Brushwood shield (and both of those require 10+ more strength).

I'll probably upgrade the DSS on my next playthrough to go along with my +5 Adjudicator. As a mage I don't really need to do much upgrading with Colorless Souls of the unique weapons.

VV

Still use it for bosses, I should probably get around to upgrading it. I offhand the Sword of Searching for normal fights.

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 1, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

What about the kris knife? Did you stop using it at some point?

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Ehud posted:

Reading through this thread has made me want this game and a PS3 really badly. You guys are satan.

I barely know what anyone is talking about when I read this but I'm going to buy the game just so I can play it on my buddy's PS3 on his days off, and just leave the game there the rest of the week. That is how much I want to play this game.

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

Irony.or.Death posted:

What about the kris knife? Did you stop using it at some point?

Yeah, the upgraded kris knife is ridiculous. Mine is only at +2 and it's insane what it can do. For example, when facing the red-eyed skeletons in 4-x on NG+, my flame thrower does 98 damage without the kris. With it equipped, the damage pushes 260-270.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well
Did anyone else find Maneater comically easy? I was at SL50 and I absolutely butt raped him with two-handing the Crescent Falcion +4 with the thief ring equipped.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

The Raglay posted:

Yeah, the upgraded kris knife is ridiculous. Mine is only at +2 and it's insane what it can do. For example, when facing the red-eyed skeletons in 4-x on NG+, my flame thrower does 98 damage without the kris. With it equipped, the damage pushes 260-270.

drat -- I have to try that. I haven't picked up the flamethrower spell, but recently starting using fireball. Is fireball more or less powerful than flamethrower?

EDIT: Hmmm -- twice as strong, according to the wiki. Time to work on upgrading the kris knife.

McCoy Pauley fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 1, 2009

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Finally beat Phalanx and it feels good.

Didn't see this on the wiki but is there a stat to raise to be able to roll in armor or am I just going to need to take it off if I want to roll around?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

LoG posted:

Didn't see this on the wiki but is there a stat to raise to be able to roll in armor or am I just going to need to take it off if I want to roll around?

I think the deal is that your total equipped weight has to be no more than 50% of your total equipped weight limit. If you look at your status screen, you should see these figures, and note that this is different from your total weight carried stat. Having a bunch of ore you're carrying around affects total weight you're carrying (and the Herculean Ring increases this limit). The items you're actually equipped with at the moment are what go into determining your equipped weight. As far as I know, if you're over 50% equipped weight, you can't roll.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

pretend to care posted:

Did anyone else find Maneater comically easy? I was at SL50 and I absolutely butt raped him with two-handing the Crescent Falcion +4 with the thief ring equipped.

Yeah once you learn how to dodge his attacks he is pretty easy. Taking advantage of the brazier in the middle helps too. What does cutting his tail off do though?

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah once you learn how to dodge his attacks he is pretty easy. Taking advantage of the brazier in the middle helps too. What does cutting his tail off do though?

He can't fly off, I think.

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.

pretend to care posted:

Is the thief ring actually useful in fights like this? I thought it was just good for not pulling a bunch of extra enemies and sometimes for getting closer for an easier backstab.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Well when he flies away, he can't lock on to you, or doesn't see you, so most of the time he just lands without ever firing his stuff at you. And other times if you are out on the brazier, he will land in the middle and just sit there. You can run up and hack at him without ever having to block or dodge his attacks first.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

LoG posted:

Finally beat Phalanx and it feels good.

Endurance increases your equip rate, but your best bet is to go pick up the ring of giant strength in front of the resting blue dragon in 1-1.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

The thief ring definitely helps in some boss fights. For instance, I had no idea how anyone has had trouble with 4-2's boss; he was by far the easiest in the game for me. Apparently this is because he had some idea where less sneaky people were standing.

Squint
Jul 14, 2007

Extremely Not Bad

Yodzilla posted:

Cutting off Maneater's tail gets rid of that that triple-homing Soul Arrow-like attack he does while flying, as well as the move where the tail bites his head and gives him that yellow glow which makes him more aggressive and cuts all damage in half.

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
Ok, I'm just about to start on the path to getting colourless souls to upgrade my kris for some sweet sweet magic damage. What is the best place to farm for black tendency > kill the something demon then > farm black tendency again?

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

tazman posted:

Ok, I'm just about to start on the path to getting colourless souls to upgrade my kris for some sweet sweet magic damage. What is the best place to farm for black tendency > kill the something demon then > farm black tendency again?

There's only one primevil demon in each world, and it doesn't respawn. Helpful hint: If you kill one and it doesn't drop something, immediately quit using the guide.

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
Then whats the best way to farm colourless souls? Or is that the only way?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

pretend to care posted:

Indeed he was. The only problem I had was falling to my death on that stupidly narrow walkway. I mainly blame the lovely-rear end lock-on system. You try so hard to get a lock on that you forget where you stand and you dodge out of the way only to fall off the ledge.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

tazman posted:

I think you can also obtain 2 from trading with the crow in 4-1 and another 2 from the Mephistopheles assassination quests. But there are a finite number available in each play through -- you can't grind them like you can ore.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if I glitched up the AI on the 1-4 boss or what, but that was comically simple. I immediately just moved to hug the left wall next to the stairs, the King wandered my way slowly, then turned around and didn't move. I sorta walked into range, let the Death Cloud plague slowly drain him of HP, then got impatient and whacked him with some quick Moving Soul Arrows. He didn't react. If I'd given it 20 minutes the plague alone would have killed him.

Note for anyone who wants the Paring Dagger but can't get World 3 to White tendency: you get one if you kill a particular NPC - Mephistopheles in the Nexus. If you complete all the assassination quests Meph will attack you then - I assume if you don't want to kill the others you could just get the Black Character tendency so Meph shows up and just take her out then. The wiki doesn't have that one listed, so if anyone has an account they can toss that up in the item lists.

tazman posted:

There's no real way to farm the Colorless Souls, so you have to use 'em wisely. You can get ten or so a game.

5 from Primevil Demons (no respawn) - seems like a high drop rate but I made sure to kill them with 25 luck + Sword of Searching so be ready to quit the game for another try if you get stiffed on the drop.
1 in 1-1 on a corpse past the pure white/black gate at the start.
2 from the Crow in 4-1 (trade a Talisman of God and the Gold Mask
2 from Mephistopheles assassinations - Patches and Biorr . Note to get to these two souls you have to have already killed Freke and Urbain , so there are consequences to trying to get these.

I think that's all of them unless someone discovers another way to get them. It's probably worth checking what you get for upgrading gear with the souls on the Wiki before you spend them due to their scarcity. At least there's no trophy for a fully upgraded Colorless item!

Whorehey
Jun 3, 2006
You saw it here first folks...

Jimbot posted:

Indeed he was. The only problem I had was falling to my death on that stupidly narrow walkway. I mainly blame the lovely-rear end lock-on system. You try so hard to get a lock on that you forget where you stand and you dodge out of the way only to fall off the ledge.

Maneater was the hardest fight in this game for me so far. He' the only boss, other than the dragon in 1-4 but he doesn't really count, who's killed me anything beyond 5 or 10 times. It wasn't that he was that difficult, he did minimal damage. The problem was that he would throw me off the pathway or that GOD DAMNED copy of his. If I wasn't falling to my death I was trapped and cornered getting battered around by two bosses with no ability to change the outcome.

I eventually did beat him, however, with the help of a blue phantom and several other times later as a blue phantom, just to rub it in his scaly, ugly face. He was seriously frustrating. I suppose I should mention that my spell/miracle usage is extremely limited and I noticed that the phantom who helped me just torched his rear end and I was able to use the stun time to go to town with my Large Sword of Searching.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

:siren: Maintenance Alert :siren:

Demon's Souls Online is going down tomorrow at "12:00 to 14:00" for Server Maintenance. There probably won't be any game-side related repairs but this is just a heads up

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

What do you mean it's not done!?
Too bad it's just a maintenance, I wish they would patch back blue phantoms getting white World Tendencies. :(

plainclothes goth
Jul 15, 2001
This game is actually a little too good. I can't play it without playing it for like six hours, then when I try to go to bed I can't sleep well because my mind is still going a mile a minute and grinding away meaninglessly.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Okay, I have no idea how world tendency is working right now. I took 2 down to pure black, offed the relevant phantom and primeval demon, then killed the dragon god in human form. This should have left me as partial white according to the most recent numbers on the wiki, but I picked up the kreel blade and pure greystone without issue. I'm going to go try this in another world, but it looks like you might be able to hit pure white solo with a single boss? That'd be more workable than I'd thought it currently was.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

God drat, I am just terrible at PvP unless it's the 3-3 Old Monk battle where I can cheap out victories. Does anyone have any general advice they could give? Fuzz, I'm looking at you.

I'm mainly just trying to get to Black Character Tendancy so I can get the Mephistopheles Quest Line and kill Yuria so I can get the Foe's Ring (one of 3 rings I need to get the Trophy) but any attempt I make to play PvP in a wild setting end terribly. It's either "Die from the dragon", "enemy summons 2 other phantoms", "enemy somehow can use that Firestorm spell 5 times in a row" or "Holy gently caress that North Regalia killed me in one hit." In the past 10 attempts I only won once, and that was to a Fluted Armor wearing Knight who had a Dozer Axe and rolled around aimlessly.

I'm wearing Dark Silver Helm and Armor with Gloom Greaves and Gloves. Using Blueblood Sword, Kris Knife, defending with a +5 Adjucator's Shield and casting with a Talisman of Beasts. Soul level 114 with everything above 20 (focuses on Vit, Endur, and Luck)

What should I be doing? I'm about 4 Equip points from being able to equip a Ring of Great Strength and doing Noble-esque rolls.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Be gone with you! You'll spoil my focus.

hoodrow trillson posted:

This game is actually a little too good. I can't play it without playing it for like six hours, then when I try to go to bed I can't sleep well because my mind is still going a mile a minute and grinding away meaninglessly.

I find I have this problem as well.

Also, i do hope there is a patch, particularly regarding tendencies, but everything else seems balanced enough. Afterall I love tearing around with my Longsword of searching. :science:

Edit:

Policenaut posted:

PVP

Ive had luck with two handing my Long sword of searching around 100.. I use leather/hard leather and no shield Just have my beast talisman for spells. I'm primarily Strength and Luck.. Not sure if/how much it helps but I hope it does!

Talran fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 2, 2009

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Policenaut posted:

What should I be doing? I'm about 4 Equip points from being able to equip a Ring of Great Strength and doing Noble-esque rolls.

What spells are you trying to use against the other players? If it's not a bigger nuke like Fireball, Moving Soul Arrow, or presumably Firestorm/Rage of God (don't have them) then it's not going to do the burst damage you need. You could also try Death Cloud if you have it to plague them and give them something else to worry about.

I've probably got about a 35-40% success rate invading other players, so it's not easy, especially since there's generally lag due to the distances involved. If they aren't smart enough to get the jump on you (by hiding near the Archstone where you spawn) then a giant game of cat and mouse can work to your advantage, since all the pressure is on them - as an invader you have absolutely nothing to lose unless you get real sloppy and fall off a cliff, and they've got to win or they get knocked back to soul form.

I'm not sure if it does change your tendency towards black, but if I join a game and the host is co-oping I like to take out the soul form players they've got first - since they have less HP than a living character they can be dropped pretty fast, and you want to even the odds ASAP.

I generally try to get close and blast 'em with Moving Soul Arrows, but don't be afraid to retreat and change strategies.

Really, though, don't be too frustrated if you have dry spells where you just can't win. Unless you're co-oping yourself there's really no chance you're going to accidentally shift your character tendency back towards white and it doesn't reset between sessions, so a kill here and there and you'll be meeting with Meph sooner than you think.

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

Policenaut posted:

God drat, I am just terrible at PvP unless it's the 3-3 Old Monk battle where I can cheap out victories. Does anyone have any general advice they could give? Fuzz, I'm looking at you.

I'm mainly just trying to get to Black Character Tendancy so I can get the Mephistopheles Quest Line and kill Yuria so I can get the Foe's Ring (one of 3 rings I need to get the Trophy) but any attempt I make to play PvP in a wild setting end terribly. It's either "Die from the dragon", "enemy summons 2 other phantoms", "enemy somehow can use that Firestorm spell 5 times in a row" or "Holy gently caress that North Regalia killed me in one hit." In the past 10 attempts I only won once, and that was to a Fluted Armor wearing Knight who had a Dozer Axe and rolled around aimlessly.

I'm wearing Dark Silver Helm and Armor with Gloom Greaves and Gloves. Using Blueblood Sword, Kris Knife, defending with a +5 Adjucator's Shield and casting with a Talisman of Beasts. Soul level 114 with everything above 20 (focuses on Vit, Endur, and Luck)

If you have the opportunity, mess with the environment. Move enemies around with soul remains, drop items in places where you can hide nearby, etc. You're already at a disadvantage when you invade, so play dirty. Thief ring, hide spell and one other ring (subdue soul? I forget what it's called or if there's only another ring for blue phantoms) will make you nearly invisible before your first strike.

I would assume the anti-magic field would stop firestorm, but I don't know if it affects miracles. If not, rage of god would break through. Not that cutting off your own casting is a good thing, but it's one way to deal with it.

Other than that, if you're fighting straight up you're probably fighting the lag more than the player, which has been my experience. I've shot soul lights that clearly hit but registered no damage, probably because the player was no longer actually in that spot. I wait for the other player to end a roll, miss an attack, change direction or something where he's standing still momentarily before firing off a spell. It's annoying.

If you jump into a game with 3 dudes blasting moving soul arrows right as you spawn in, you're hosed. You're only going to win if they screw up. Your best hope for success is to land in a game that has progressed a bit, which gives you time to move around and set up.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Be gone with you! You'll spoil my focus.

The Raglay posted:

If you have the opportunity, mess with the environment. Move enemies around with soul remains, drop items in places where you can hide nearby, etc. You're already at a disadvantage when you invade, so play dirty. Thief ring, hide spell and one other ring (subdue soul? I forget what it's called or if there's only another ring for blue phantoms) will make you nearly invisible before your first strike.

I would assume the anti-magic field would stop firestorm, but I don't know if it affects miracles. If not, rage of god would break through. Not that cutting off your own casting is a good thing, but it's one way to deal with it.

Other than that, if you're fighting straight up you're probably fighting the lag more than the player, which has been my experience. I've shot soul lights that clearly hit but registered no damage, probably because the player was no longer actually in that spot. I wait for the other player to end a roll, miss an attack, change direction or something where he's standing still momentarily before firing off a spell. It's annoying.

If you jump into a game with 3 dudes blasting moving soul arrows right as you spawn in, you're hosed. You're only going to win if they screw up. Your best hope for success is to land in a game that has progressed a bit, which gives you time to move around and set up.

I second this, hiding is the best thing you can do, if you just rush the player you're giving up the best things about being a black phantom..If you can set up ahead of the player by sneaking past you can set up an ambush to help you out, remember, this isnt a duel, no matter what you have less heath. You're plaing the demon here. Use every trick you have :3:

Vallens
Jan 27, 2004

Get back in line you drunken fool!

Talran posted:

I second this, hiding is the best thing you can do, if you just rush the player you're giving up the best things about being a black phantom..If you can set up ahead of the player by sneaking past you can set up an ambush to help you out, remember, this isnt a duel, no matter what you have less heath. You're plaing the demon here. Use every trick you have :3:

If you can get ahead of the player, I would think you could use my patented "drop the most worthless item in your inventory as bait then backstab" maneuver.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

hoodrow trillson posted:

Games like this make sitting through a work day really, really hard.

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

Games like this make sitting through a work day really, really hard.

A few nights ago when I was trying to farm crystal geckos, I must have said "gently caress you, game!" one too many times, because my girlfriend finally said, "Why do you play this game?"

The only response I could think of was, "Because I can't let the game win."

gently caress you, game.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Wow-wee, past the regular hump, farming souls in 5-2 is goddamn crazy easy. With 42 Magic, Insanity Catalyst and the Kris Knife +2, poo poo dies fast. Just need to blow up one see-through dude so he won't attack me, then I bow death to... death then hit that crazy black katana skeleton with three flamethrowers.

Easiest 24k souls ever. Takes about two minutes tops. The downside is that it costs me 62k souls to upgrade a stat now.

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.

Jimbot posted:

Wow-wee, past the regular hump, farming souls in 5-2 is goddamn crazy easy.
4-2 right ?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Dantes posted:

4-2 right ?

I'm assuming that's what he means. I'd note that if you have the Lava Bow, 3 shots with just basic wooden arrows are enough to take out the reaper, and if you sprint from the archstone to the sniping spot, you can get off 3 shots well before any of the see-through enemies get close to you -- makes it a lot faster to farm this spot.

So having created the Scraping Spear, I'm a little disappointed with how it seems to be useful mostly for being a dick in PvP. Seems like I would have ended up with something more useful for regular gameplay if I had just kept upgrading the winged spear.

But having spent my winged spear on the Scraping Spear, what's my next best option for getting another spear and building it up into something powerful? If I'm at 1-3 by now, is the merchant in 1-2 still around (which I ask because the merchant in 1-1 appeared to disappear once I beat 1-1), so I can buy a short spear off of him, which I can build up into a Crescent Short Spear? Is there some better option? Should I be farming lancers in 1-1 in hopes that one drops a new Winged Spear (which the Wiki suggests they will, although I've never gotten one to date)?

Edit: And this is a dumb question I should probably know the answer to, but when the bonus stats for the Crescent Short Spear are listed as "E/E/C/-" that means I'm getting a bonus from all three of the first stats combined, right? That is, I'm getting something for strength, something for dexterity, and also something for magic, right? If so, that looks like it's going to be a much more formidable weapon than my scraping spear, even if I'm using a short spear rather than a winged spear.

McCoy Pauley fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 2, 2009

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

McCoy Pauley posted:

I'm assuming that's what he means. I'd note that if you have the Lava Bow, 3 shots with just basic wooden arrows are enough to take out the reaper, and if you sprint from the archstone to the sniping spot, you can get off 3 shots well before any of the see-through enemies get close to you -- makes it a lot faster to farm this spot.

So having created the Scraping Spear, I'm a little disappointed with how it seems to be useful mostly for being a dick in PvP. Seems like I would have ended up with something more useful for regular gameplay if I had just kept upgrading the winged spear.

But having spent my winged spear on the Scraping Spear, what's my next best option for getting another spear and building it up into something powerful? If I'm at 1-3 by now, is the merchant in 1-2 still around (which I ask because the merchant in 1-1 appeared to disappear once I beat 1-1), so I can buy a short spear off of him, which I can build up into a Crescent Short Spear? Is there some better option? Should I be farming lancers in 1-1 in hopes that one drops a new Winged Spear (which the Wiki suggests they will, although I've never gotten one to date)?

Edit: And this is a dumb question I should probably know the answer to, but when the bonus stats for the Crescent Short Spear are listed as "E/E/C/-" that means I'm getting a bonus from all three of the first stats combined, right? That is, I'm getting something for strength, something for dexterity, and also something for magic, right? If so, that looks like it's going to be a much more formidable weapon than my scraping spear, even if I'm using a short spear rather than a winged spear.

Crescent is -/-/A/-. E/E/C/- is moon. I haven't yet made +5 in both categories to directly compare which is better for magic users, but with 42 magic I think the difference would be negligible, which gives crescent the edge since it adds passive MP regen. Regardless, crescent should outpace moon when your magic skill gets in the 60 range.

The most powerful weapon you can make crescent is the Uchigatana. If you absolutely must have a spear, the Phosphorescent Pole, which can be found in 3-1 from the locked-in phantom, might be worth looking into.

If you're not a high magic stat character, I'd go moon or track down the Phosphorescent Pole if you like the idea of a boost from magic. Otherwise there are better options.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

McCoy Pauley posted:

Yes, the merchant should still be there. Then again, I've also seen those lancers drop a spear or two (as a thief w/ 15+ luck). You could go buy one of the short spears and see how it handles. (Though according to the wiki it doesn't look like it can be made Crescent. Perhaps you meant Moon? I'd almost argue for Quality or Fatal, but it'd depend on your stats.)

Or you could always wait until NG+. I'm not sure how set you are on having a spear. I know I pretty much replaced all my weapons with a Dragon claymore sometime in the middle of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Whoops -- I meant moon, not crescent. I guess if what I want is a good piercing attack (which is what I'm really after), I should just stick with my Crescent Uchigatana, since the R2 attack with that is piercing. I just found the Winged Spear to be pretty handy, so I was looking to get something comparable, and I think the spear is faster than the Uchigatana. Hmmm.

• Locked thread