Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Vallens posted:

If you can get ahead of the player, I would think you could use my patented "drop the most worthless item in your inventory as bait then backstab" maneuver.

You can't drop things as a Blue Phantom... I'm pretty sure you can't as a Black Phantom, too. I haven't tested yet, so I'll try it out tonight and report back.

On an aside, if you invade in 4-1 and they've used the Crow at all, you can actually pick up whatever the Crow leaves for them as a Blue/Black Phantom. I invaded some guy like a week ago and went up there because it's a pretty good vantage point and you can get down to the tunnel really easily to head them off, and there was an item back there, so out of curiosity I grabbed it and got some White Arrows. I feel kind of bad for taking them, but they were just White Arrows, it's not like I stole his Fragrant Ring or a Colorless Demon Soul. Thing to watch for, however, is that if you haven't beaten the Adjudicator yet, I would advise against dropping the Golden Mask or a Talisman of God by the tree, or if you do, go back in Soul form to get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Fuzz posted:

You can't drop things as a Blue Phantom... I'm pretty sure you can't as a Black Phantom, too. I haven't tested yet, so I'll try it out tonight and report back.
I once had a black phantom take pity on me and drop a couple of items for me to pick up and then let me kill him. Probably because I had a female character (and went from 100% health to a sliver in 2 hits). :v:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

ImpactVector posted:

I once had a black phantom take pity on me and drop a couple of items for me to pick up and then let me kill him. Probably because I had a female character (and went from 100% health to a sliver in 2 hits). :v:

Well now I know what to do with all my extra Fresh Spice. It's Killing Time.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Fuzz posted:

You really would have blown the mind of the guy whose White Arrows you took if you had dropped a fresh spice in their place.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Fuzz posted:

The only problem I see with this idea is the graphic for a player-dropped item looks a lot different than a corpse to examine. So anyone smart would know it's a trap. Though I suppose at the very least this weeds out those you need to be cautious of.

If we're still talking 4-1, you have to assume the person had something waiting for them. Otherwise I know I generally don't go up there. (As an aside, this has turned into a very good reason not to do the crow quest while online in human form.)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

So what's the best (fastest) setup for killing dragons without magic? Lava Bow or something else?

Vallens
Jan 27, 2004

Get back in line you drunken fool!

ImpactVector posted:

The only problem I see with this idea is the graphic for a player-dropped item looks a lot different than a corpse to examine. So anyone smart would know it's a trap. Though I suppose at the very least this weeds out those you need to be cautious of.

If we're still talking 4-1, you have to assume the person had something waiting for them. Otherwise I know I generally don't go up there. (As an aside, this has turned into a very good reason not to do the crow quest while online in human form.)

Too true. I stole a guys golden mask in 4-1.

Fuzz posted:

So what's the best (fastest) setup for killing dragons without magic? Lava Bow or something else?

I used a composite bow and killed the dragon in 1-2 with about 200 arrows. If you have a lava bow it should be pretty easy to do.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Fuzz posted:

Took me about 70-80 arrows (the regular ones) using the Lava Bow (at a point when I think I had just high enough stats to use it, to the extent that made a difference).

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

What's a good way to counter the Moving Soul Arrows? I had some Black Phantom tool just spam that poo poo over and over again and I couldn't get close to him. Well, I could have but the fuckface was using Acid Cloud, so I couldn't go near him. I was having lag issues again as my Soul Lights were passing right through him. Though one hit and it took 85% of the chump's health away, but he ran away and disappeared as I was giving chase (not sure how, though).

I need to start writing these dicks' who uses acid cloud and junk names down. That way if they invade, I can just use my white stone and boot them.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Jimbot posted:

What's a good way to counter the Moving Soul Arrows? I had some Black Phantom tool just spam that poo poo over and over again and I couldn't get close to him. Well, I could have but the fuckface was using Acid Cloud, so I couldn't go near him. I was having lag issues again as my Soul Lights were passing right through him. Though one hit and it took 85% of the chump's health away, but he ran away and disappeared as I was giving chase (not sure how, though).

I need to start writing these dicks' who uses acid cloud and junk names down. That way if they invade, I can just use my white stone and boot them.

Sounds like Acid Cloud is the problem, not Moving Soul Arrow. Moving Soul Arrow is actually fairly easy to dodge. Just get in range, then roll away. Usually they'll fire at you as soon as you're close enough. It's much harder to avoid spells the player chooses when to fire.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Oh, they're set to a range limit? I see.

I wouldn't have had a problem, but if it wasn't the lag, the guy was doing clean dodges of my spells, so that spell was stopping me from getting close. The guy was literally chain-casting that spell. It'd shoot off, and while I was dodging he'd cast another.

I wish there was a Protection Spell - like Total Protection - but for magic.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well
Anti-magic playa. It's a miracle I think.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah, anti-magic field is a miracle you can pick up. I believe it stops you from casting too, but in some situations it's probably worth it.

I've found myself shifting from dex/magic to an exclusive magic focus when I noticed how generally pointless my fatal secret dagger was and how many ways I had to buff magic damage, but am seriously considering starting another character to focus on dex/miracles. The thief approach seems like it would work a lot better if you stopped people from spamming moving soul arrow/whatever the aoe fire thing is called. It would still be terrible against any of the actually dangerous solo stuff, but might be fun in PvP.

Seriously if you're just starting, I would not advise going the dex/dagger route. There are places where it will make you feel amazingly powerful, but you're going to one-shot weak enemies just as well if you stab them in the back with a claymore and you can neither parry nor backstab the really dangerous stuff.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
This game looks fantastic, too bad it is sold out everywhere and backordered for weeks.

EDIT: gently caress it, ordered it on NCSX. It gets here when it gets here, I guess.

Gooch181 fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 3, 2009

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

This is probably the only game that I've actually gone back to after beating it the first time. This time I managed to beat tower knight the hard way, then I did 4-1 pretty much flawlessly the first time through. I was hacking away at tower knight's ankles for ages doing like 31 damage, and I was pretty sure I would die because I didn't have many herbs left and pretty clearly it would take ages to kill him doing 31 damage a hit. Then he suddenly collapses and I stab his face till he dies. It was awesome.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
It definitely seems like the Wiki underestimates the value of killing bosses while alive for White world tendency.

I finished the game up, immediately hopped into New Game + (you start 1-1 alive this way), got invaded by a single black phantom right before Phalanx, killed it, then killed Phalanx. Pure White in world 1 just from those two things.

Liked the ending, though I went with what was presumably the good ending. Looking forward to seeing how it plays out differently this game!

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

FirstPersonShitter posted:

This time I managed to beat tower knight the hard way...

Er, what's the easy way? Buy a million arrows or something?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Irony.or.Death posted:

Er, what's the easy way? Buy a million arrows or something?

You don't need that many, maybe like 70. You can just stand at the ramparts, aim for his head, and if you stand at the right place you can shoot him but he can't shoot you so you can just kill him easily.

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.

Tortolia posted:

Liked the ending, though I went with what was presumably the good ending.
Ending spoiler C'mon how did you resist the temptation of stabbing the maiden in the back ? My boot walking on her skull to go to the old one was the best part of the game :)

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Putting maneater on a tiny path and making all of his moves knock you off said path for insta-death was a dick move, but putting an unavoidable respawning red phantom mind flayer on the way TO said dick move is the crowning dick moment of the dick kingdom.

gently caress you, maneater. You don't even have a cool intro cinematic, you dick.

EDIT: VV

Which dagger? My +4 Quality Dagger may as well be nerf for all the notice he takes of it. As it is, I can reliably take him, but it requires a large number of perfectly timed rolls under paralysis bolts (+ a backstab, treated with turpentine, to get him down to under half heath). It's just irritating to have to do that every time before you even GET to the boss, and I end up burning a ton of resources on him only to get one-shotted by the boss 30 seconds in.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 3, 2009

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.

Shalinor posted:

Putting maneater on a tiny path and making all of his moves knock you off said path for insta-death was a dick move, but putting an unavoidable respawning red phantom mind flayer on the way TO said dick move is the crowning dick moment of the dick kingdom.

gently caress you, maneater. You don't even have a cool intro cinematic, you dick.

I found the red phantom pretty easy to deal with as a thief. With the thief ring equipped I'd wait for him to get a ways down the stairs, turn around and start heading back up. If I sprinted I could get close enough to do a backstab since the mind flayers turn around pretty slowly. If I missed the backstab I could stunlock him pretty easily with my dagger.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Oae Ui posted:

I found the red phantom pretty easy to deal with as a thief. With the thief ring equipped I'd wait for him to get a ways down the stairs, turn around and start heading back up. If I sprinted I could get close enough to do a backstab since the mind flayers turn around pretty slowly. If I missed the backstab I could stunlock him pretty easily with my dagger.

Heck, I always just booted him off the edge with a backstab. The thief ring is amazing. I wish there was a better combo to use besides Cling/Thief, but stick with what works.

In reference to what the above poster said, I started a dagger character for maximum backstab fun. I break into my first world, backstab the host and his two phantom buddies, and then... they have two thirds of their health left. What should I focus on for one hit kills? I had my eye on the fatal secret dagger, but from what I'm hearing it's no good.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Uh... just shoot it with an arrow from across the gap and dodge its spells. The AI is so dumb he runs directly at you instead of around down the stairs, so he ends up just falling off. Hilariously easy.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

The game arrived today, a lot faster than I thought it would. Got right to playing and got through 1-1 for now. Holy crap, people are not kidding when the say this game is ridiculously difficult. Between stumbling off a very high staircase, getting roasted by a dragon, and just plain mistiming attacks versus enemies, there are so many ways to die. I'm sure I'll get better as I get used to the playing mechanics, but on the other hand, the game's going to get tougher too. Still, it's really satisfying to get past the tough parts.

Scary moment: I just finished beating the Phalanx (long more than difficult) and went back to the Nexus where the lady started talking about the Monumental. We're having a thunderstorm right now, so guess what? The power goes out just at that moment! I just about had a heart attack there, thinking all my work was down the drain. Fortunately, it looks like auto-save is constant. I loaded back at the Nexus with everything I'd gotten from the Phalanx.

One question about 1-1: one pathway went towards a long bridge with a black-cloaked enemy on it. I chickened out of fighting it for now, but what was that? It seems like it was optional, since I beat the stage without needing to go past it.

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

Nick Biped posted:

One question about 1-1: one pathway went towards a long bridge with a black-cloaked enemy on it. I chickened out of fighting it for now, but what was that? It seems like it was optional, since I beat the stage without needing to go past it.

It leads to a door you can't open yet (you get a key from Ostrava, the guy wandering around 1-1) with a boss fight behind said door. That enemy is a red-eyed knight, and he will likely destroy you at this point in the game. Play a few levels, gain some confidence and then give 'em a go. They show up a lot in 1-3 and 1-4 and are still a pain then. Early in the game it's just another way for you to die from curiosity.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Shalinor posted:

Which dagger? My +4 Quality Dagger may as well be nerf for all the notice he takes of it. As it is, I can reliably take him, but it requires a large number of perfectly timed rolls under paralysis bolts (+ a backstab, treated with turpentine, to get him down to under half heath). It's just irritating to have to do that every time before you even GET to the boss, and I end up burning a ton of resources on him only to get one-shotted by the boss 30 seconds in.

Dunno how the phantom versions of the mind flayers take it, but when I was in 3-1 I'd use the strong attack (R2) with my dagger. As long as you get to them before they start casting a spell it stuns them for a second. (They seem to be immune to stunning when casting, unfortunately.)

Then again, by the time I was in 3-2 and climbing those stairs I had a +4 Dragon Claymore to 2-shot him with. But still seconding the Thief Ring usage. I only take it off when I feel like passively regenerating some mana.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Dantes posted:

Ending spoiler C'mon how did you resist the temptation of stabbing the maiden in the back ? My boot walking on her skull to go to the old one was the best part of the game :)

I wanted to learn Soulsucker! :v:

Note for those of you looking ahead to your second (or later) playthrough on a character, the fog door after 1-2 is NOT sealed. You can move straight into 1-3 to rescue Yuria if you want (or, in theory I guess you could just haul rear end right through World 1 and end the game extremely prematurely)

Once you know how to play the game properly and have an idea of what to expect from enemies, the game actually becomes much simpler, even if things do a lot more damage to you in New Game+. I've done all of 1-1 through 1-3 without dying once, and that includes taking out the Red Dragon, Miralda, and four separate invading black phantoms. I know there's going to be enemies and bosses in the other worlds that are going to have me swearing up a storm when I branch out to them, but it reminds me of a Ninja Gaiden - once you know how to play, it can actually be easier in later games despite the increased difficulty setting.

It's for that reason that if you intend on playing through the game more than once I recommend not worrying about Pure White tendencies the first time through - the boost you get for killing bosses while alive is massive now, and once you know what to expect from a boss and how to handle it the odds of you being able to walk out of the chamber with that bonus go way up. Co-op helps too.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

ImpactVector posted:

Dunno how the phantom versions of the mind flayers take it, but when I was in 3-1 I'd use the strong attack (R2) with my dagger. As long as you get to them before they start casting a spell it stuns them for a second. (They seem to be immune to stunning when casting, unfortunately.)

Then again, by the time I was in 3-2 and climbing those stairs I had a +4 Dragon Claymore to 2-shot him with. But still seconding the Thief Ring usage. I only take it off when I feel like passively regenerating some mana.

The BP Mindflayers have more than twice as much health as the regular ones, and also don't get stunned by most attacks. They also have the crazy air gong spell that knocks you over and stuns you so that if it hits you and you're alone, you're probably dead.

They are dicks. Big tentacled dicks. gently caress the Japanese. :colbert:

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Hackan Slash posted:

In reference to what the above poster said, I started a dagger character for maximum backstab fun. I break into my first world, backstab the host and his two phantom buddies, and then... they have two thirds of their health left. What should I focus on for one hit kills? I had my eye on the fatal secret dagger, but from what I'm hearing it's no good.

If you take a fatal secret dagger up to +5 and toss on the master's ring, you'll certainly do a lot of damage; I think I was backstabbing for 600-700 with about 21 dex. If you can get the parry thing down, you'd definitely see some one-hit kills in PvP. My problem with it is that the damage is wasted against anything it's possible to parry/backstab in the solo game (i.e. not bosses), and everyone can toss around silly damage in PvP. For comparison's sake, with about 20 magic I tossed on the monk's hat/ring of magical sharpness/kris knife +3/insanity catalyst, and dropped someone I'd invaded with two soul arrows at ~420 each. I didn't have to parry anything or waste any time dancing around to do it, either.

It's definitely satisfying to land a solid backstab, and you can get big numbers that way, but you're also going to run into a lot of situations where someone who knows Firestorm obliterates you or you hit a little lag and a guy with a tower shield and a meat cleaver kills you with a single backstab. At some point I'll probably start another (third! curse this game) character to play with a dagger/anti-magic field combo, but I'm pretty happy with my decision to shift this one's focus to magic.

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.

Shalinor posted:

I was doing it with a Dagger +7 and that would take off nearly all of his health. One or two more weak slashes as he was getting up from the back stab would finish him off.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
So I've got my Dragon Longsword up to +3 and now need more L.Splinters of Dragonstone to upgrade it. 2-2 is the best place to get those, right? Am I correct in thinking that the Large Sword of Searching is going to help me get the drops I want for these?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

McCoy Pauley posted:

So I've got my Dragon Longsword up to +3 and now need more L.Splinters of Dragonstone to upgrade it. 2-2 is the best place to get those, right? Am I correct in thinking that the Large Sword of Searching is going to help me get the drops I want for these?

The Large Sword of Searching flat out doubles your character's "item drop" stat (the number that the Luck stat increases), so anything that isn't a guaranteed drop will be affected by having equipped.

And yes, you can just toss it in your offhand for the bonus, you don't have to be using it to get the kills.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Under the Demon's Souls section in the wiki, at the very bottom there's a Beast's Demon's Soul. How do you get that one? Is it from the bad ending?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Tortolia posted:

The Large Sword of Searching flat out doubles your character's "item drop" stat (the number that the Luck stat increases), so anything that isn't a guaranteed drop will be affected by having equipped.

And yes, you can just toss it in your offhand for the bonus, you don't have to be using it to get the kills.

Awesome -- thanks. I guess I should spend a few points on luck, then, since I'll get them back double when I use the sword.

I had underestimated the effectiveness of fire damage, particularly for its stun effect. Now that I've got this dragonsword, I finally have a reason to set aside the Crescent Falchion for a bit.

Unrelated question. Just beat 1-3 and am at the point of fighting those 3 Black Phantoms at the beginning of 1-4. The first guy went down easy, but now I'm stuck with some archer, who keeps running from me, and a guy who appears to have the Tower Shield and a Scraping Spear. Is the best strategy for the spear guy just to keep rolling around him trying to get a shot at his back? That was sort of working last night, but got really tedious and seemed like pretty slow going. Any better strategy?

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
I finally got to mess around in multi player last night. Summoned a guy at the beginning of 1-2 and he took off like a bottle rocket while I was grabbing some loot. I died to some dragon fire and never saw him again. If you die does it reset or something or was he just running around way ahead of me? Hopefully I'll get in a lot more time this weekend. So are all the white ghosts I see actual players and what exactly do the blood spots do when the red guys pop out of them?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

LoG posted:

I finally got to mess around in multi player last night. Summoned a guy at the beginning of 1-2 and he took off like a bottle rocket while I was grabbing some loot. I died to some dragon fire and never saw him again. If you die does it reset or something or was he just running around way ahead of me? Hopefully I'll get in a lot more time this weekend. So are all the white ghosts I see actual players and what exactly do the blood spots do when the red guys pop out of them?

The red souls show you how a person died in that area. Sometimes this can be useful for predicting what's coming up, but early on it's just as often some dumbass running right off a high ledge.

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

TheQat posted:

The red souls show you how a person died in that area. Sometimes this can be useful for predicting what's coming up, but early on it's just as often some dumbass running right off a high ledge.

Blood spots high up in the Nexus are my favorite. Can't get too cocky running down those steps.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

LoG posted:

I finally got to mess around in multi player last night. Summoned a guy at the beginning of 1-2 and he took off like a bottle rocket while I was grabbing some loot. I died to some dragon fire and never saw him again. If you die does it reset or something or was he just running around way ahead of me?

I'm pretty sure that if the host dies the co-op player is kicked back into his own game. I seem to recall that having happened to me once or twice, and I know I've died as the host and then when I respawned obviously the co-op guy isn't in my game anymore.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

If that happens, how will you be able to cast resurrect on them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

TheQat posted:

That's great. I'll have to start paying attention to where they go.

• Locked thread