Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.
I finally killed Maneater using a Kilij +7 and it was remarkably easy. However I'm two chunks of sharpstone short of being able to get it to +8 and turning it into a large sword of searching and it looks like I'll have to wait for 1-3 to get them. I really wish some vendor sold the chunk level stuff, even if it was horrendously expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iloveyouall
Oct 26, 2007
Ok guys im wanting to use the white bow and it has a strength requirement of 30. How much strength would that take if I was using it two handed?

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.
Don't you have to use bows two handed?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

iloveyouall posted:

Ok guys im wanting to use the white bow and it has a strength requirement of 30. How much strength would that take if I was using it two handed?

Two-handed adds 50% strength, as far as I can tell, so you should be good to go with 20 strength.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Oae Ui posted:

Don't you have to use bows two handed?

Yep. Any bow's actual strength requirement is always 2/3rds of the number listed. I'm still trying to figure out why I should bother with a White Bow when I have a Lava and a Compound Longbow. And yes I know it has a longer range, but I've never had any issues with either of the other two bows having too short a range.

Shalinor posted:

Which classes have you taken that route?

They don't matter so much even a little ways into the game, but for 1-1/1-2/2-1/(maybe)3-1, I suspect that Thieves and similar are going to have a slightly rougher go of it than someone a little meatier with a better shield.

Wanderer, which is basically just a Thief with a little more HP and starting with a falchion. You can find a scimitar or buy a longsword in 1-1 easily enough, so it's not hard for a Thief to do the same thing. If you want to be even more of a pimp, go to 4-1 and grab the crescent falchion... it's really not that hard to do, and I've gone in there and grabbed it and the Talisman of God right after beating Phalanx. You just need a club.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

The Raglay posted:

Offline is nice for farming, since world tendency won't revert to neutral when you're not online, but the game does feel a bit lonely when you're not online.
I've seen a few people saying world tendency resets. I'd just like to say being on my 3rd character (I haven't actually completed on any yet, but 2 of them are close) that I have never had the world tendency reset on me, only decay when I die or kill certain npcs.

I usually quit to the game main menu from the ingame menu before using the PS button to quit the game and then I turn off the system; and I keep doing it that way just in case that's why my WT doesn't randomly reset.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
How do you use the soulsucker spell?

It's such short range, has a huge startup, and doesn't track. Even wearing the thief and graverobber rings, and casting hide, I can't get close enough to be able to hit with it.

Dominic Bones
Jan 27, 2009
Ok, how the hell do you beat Allant with a barbarian type
character?
I have died around 4 times to this guy, I just can't win. My best sword is the Meat Cleaver and it's far too slow, are there any other swords that use the Strength/Dexterity stat mostly?

Goddamnit, every boss has been incredibly easy, except this one dude. On my last character he glitched and got stuck in a wall.

Dominic Bones fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 4, 2009

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Thievery posted:

Is there anything specific aside from "You'll die a lot" that I should know before going for it? Not that I mind just going out and getting slaughtered.

The one really lasting decision you will make for your character is gender; the game has convinced me that women are superior based on the silver bracelet (increases the number of souls you get for killing stuff, and stacks with everything else that has the same effect), but some might argue that men get prettier clothing.

I've never worn anything besides the dark leather set for more than a few minutes, so I'm kinda jealous about the bracelet thing.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Irony.or.Death posted:

The one really lasting decision you will make for your character is gender; the game has convinced me that women are superior based on the silver bracelet (increases the number of souls you get for killing stuff, and stacks with everything else that has the same effect), but some might argue that men get prettier clothing.

I've never worn anything besides the dark leather set for more than a few minutes, so I'm kinda jealous about the bracelet thing.

Males get more gender specific armor sets, but it seems to be an all or nothing type of thing - either you get your choice of light cloth magey type armors (Saint and Sage sets) or your choice of heavy platemail sets.

Females at least get Miralda's set, which aside from looking really neat is actually a nice compromise between weight and protection.

But yeah, the bracelet is pretty much the winner in terms of gender bonuses.

iloveyouall
Oct 26, 2007
How do you pick up the ring of great strength? I killed the dragon in 1-2 but when i try to hit the green dragon it seems to do nothing.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

iloveyouall posted:

How do you pick up the ring of great strength? I killed the dragon in 1-2 but when i try to hit the green dragon it seems to do nothing.

Just rush on in and grab it.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Run in, bait the dragon into attacking, wait for it to slam its tail down, then run in and grab it. If you just rush in, it's gonna whack you.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So, uh, about Mephistopheles, is it possible to skip past the currently offered "objective?"

I only really want the Foe's Ring, which is obtained by killing Yuria, but I really don't want to do the mission she's offering to kill Saint Urbain and his followers. Is it possible to skip it somehow and go onto the next one or do I have to kill Saint Urbain (then probably Freke next right?)

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Policenaut posted:

So, uh, about Mephistopheles, is it possible to skip past the currently offered "objective?"

I only really want the Foe's Ring, which is obtained by killing Yuria, but I really don't want to do the mission she's offering to kill Saint Urbain and his followers. Is it possible to skip it somehow and go onto the next one or do I have to kill Saint Urbain (then probably Freke next right?)

Nope. You have to do them in order. If somebody's already dead, Mephistopheles will skip that target, but that doesn't really help here.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Policenaut posted:

If there's a way to skip down the list then I don't know how to trigger it.

Here's what I'd do to get the Foe Ring with minimal impact on your game. Leave Meph alone in the Nexus until you've completed everything but 1-4, and complete that as much as possible (kill the Blue Dragon if you're planning on doing that). Set your Miracles/Magic as you want them for the 1-4 boss and for 1-1 on the next cycle (don't really need to set anything special for 1-1 as it's simple, but if you're decent with magic might as well give yourself some sort of fire spell for easy Phalanx roasting). Do the assassinations all in a row, just kill, get reward, kill, get reward. Once Yuria's dead you'll get the Foe Ring, then Meph will attack. She's easily dispatched.

Now that you've got the Ring, just hop back into 1-4, finish the level, then you can finish the game. After you complete 1-1 on the next cycle then Freke and Urbain's apprentices will be back in the Nexus and you can change your magic/miracles around as you see fit and just proceed.

Note if you wait until you've done 1-3 to start doing Meph's assassinations then you're going to miss out on the Ostrava kill/Talisman of Beasts reward, so you'll have to go take out Black Phantom Scirvir in 2-2 to get one of those.

Petridish
May 25, 2008

Hamburger Test posted:

I've seen a few people saying world tendency resets. I'd just like to say being on my 3rd character (I haven't actually completed on any yet, but 2 of them are close) that I have never had the world tendency reset on me, only decay when I die or kill certain npcs.

I usually quit to the game main menu from the ingame menu before using the PS button to quit the game and then I turn off the system; and I keep doing it that way just in case that's why my WT doesn't randomly reset.

Have you been quitting in an archstone? The wiki says that if you quit from inside an archstone, the WT won't reset, but if you quit from the Nexus, it will. I found this to be the case for myself, so I've been quitting in archstones for awhile.

And btw, I love the multiplayer in this game, even without voice support. It always amuses me how we communicate non-verbally in DS. Join co-op game -> Bow to other players -> black phantom joins -> awkward pause -> slay black phantom -> cheer at each other -> get raped by boss or fall off cliff.

I think my favorite memory of multiplayer was when I was killing the 1-4 dragon slowly with my arrows, and a co-op guy I picked along the way kept cheering me on. Twice we had black phantoms break in and each time we would run into the castle and watch as they tried to get past the dragon's flames and fail. I finally killed the dragon and we just looked at each other and cheered. We then proceeded to the boss where we were promptly made his bitches.

I love this game, even if it is harsh.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
gently caress they need to ship out my copy so I can play it on my roommate's PS3. I haven't read the full thread since I am trying not to spoil the game, so I'm sorry if someone has asked this before.

How does the combat control? Certain buttons for different kinds of sword attacks, with other buttons to execute parries, etc?

Squint
Jul 14, 2007

Extremely Not Bad
Shoulder buttons correspond to your left and right hands. R1 is a quick attack, R2 is a slower, stronger attack. These can be mixed up to a limited degree to get different "combo" moves. For example, pressing R2 and then R1 with a straight sword makes your character do the strong stabbing attack followed up by a fast horizontal slash. Each class of weapon behaves differently, however, and delivers different types of damage in different ways.

With a shield equipped in the left hand, L1 holds it up to block, and L2 either performs a parry move or shield-bashes, depending on the type and size of the shield. Large shields offer better insulation against stamina loss on a successful block than medium or small shields, but they cannot be used to parry due to their size. If you have a weapon in the offhand it gets a little more complicated. some of them block in L1 and swing in L2, others have attacks for both, and still others can be used to parry (the Paring Knife even has a bonus for this in the form of a larger window in which you can "land" the parry).

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Thanks, that sounds loving awesome.

(Bonus shoutout- I finally got an English copy of 7.62, Squint. I pre-ordered it ages ago, and I'm glad I did. If I tried to buy it now, I wouldn't be able to because it's restricted to Europe for some reason. Your LP loving rocked.)

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.
OK I might be retarded, but how do I actually use miracles? I saved up for Evacuation, I have it memorised, and I have enough MP to cast it, but it's just greyed out. What gives?

Eru
Dec 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Sunday Punch posted:

OK I might be retarded, but how do I actually use miracles? I saved up for Evacuation, I have it memorised, and I have enough MP to cast it, but it's just greyed out. What gives?

You need a Talisman.

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.
Right. Umm, where can I get a talisman? (I wish the manual wasn't in chinese)

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Sunday Punch posted:

Right. Umm, where can I get a talisman? (I wish the manual wasn't in chinese)
You'll find one over the course of gameplay, a/o depending on your initial class.

You can find one pretty early on, so long as you've got a decent shield and a blunt weapon (or happen to be really good at dodging/running). Spend all your souls, because you will probably die a few times doing this. Go to 4-1. Get past that first skeleton under the arch, go up the stairs, get past those skeletons, and now you're looking at a big castle wall with a gate. Look at the rightmost end of that wall, and you'll see a glow - go grab that, and that's your Talisman.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Tortolia posted:

If there's a way to skip down the list then I don't know how to trigger it.

Here's what I'd do to get the Foe Ring with minimal impact on your game. Leave Meph alone in the Nexus until you've completed everything but 1-4, and complete that as much as possible (kill the Blue Dragon if you're planning on doing that). Set your Miracles/Magic as you want them for the 1-4 boss and for 1-1 on the next cycle (don't really need to set anything special for 1-1 as it's simple, but if you're decent with magic might as well give yourself some sort of fire spell for easy Phalanx roasting). Do the assassinations all in a row, just kill, get reward, kill, get reward. Once Yuria's dead you'll get the Foe Ring, then Meph will attack. She's easily dispatched.

Now that you've got the Ring, just hop back into 1-4, finish the level, then you can finish the game. After you complete 1-1 on the next cycle then Freke and Urbain's apprentices will be back in the Nexus and you can change your magic/miracles around as you see fit and just proceed.

Note if you wait until you've done 1-3 to start doing Meph's assassinations then you're going to miss out on the Ostrava kill/Talisman of Beasts reward, so you'll have to go take out Black Phantom Scirvir in 2-2 to get one of those.

Thanks, I was right at the end of the game just mopping things up so I pretty much used Mephistopheles as a motivator to finally finish the game. Uh... That's some final boss.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Petridish posted:

Have you been quitting in an archstone? The wiki says that if you quit from inside an archstone, the WT won't reset, but if you quit from the Nexus, it will. I found this to be the case for myself, so I've been quitting in archstones for awhile.
I have been quitting almost anywhere, most often in the nexus though and have not seen any WT resets at all. I have gotten all worlds to pure white on my latest two characters on normal difficulty.

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

Shalinor posted:

You'll find one over the course of gameplay, a/o depending on your initial class.

You can find one pretty early on, so long as you've got a decent shield and a blunt weapon (or happen to be really good at dodging/running). Spend all your souls, because you will probably die a few times doing this. Go to 4-1. Get past that first skeleton under the arch, go up the stairs, get past those skeletons, and now you're looking at a big castle wall with a gate. Look at the rightmost end of that wall, and you'll see a glow - go grab that, and that's your Talisman.

Thanks! I'll give it a shot if I ever find my way out of the Latria tower jails.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Hamburger Test posted:

I have been quitting almost anywhere, most often in the nexus though and have not seen any WT resets at all. I have gotten all worlds to pure white on my latest two characters on normal difficulty.

I, on the other hand, have seen it reset when I quit inside an archstone, when I quit in the nexus, and sometimes when a moth sneezes in cambodia. On the bright side, you really only need pure white tendency for a short time to pick up all the special items; I've got everything besides World 3 (because I killed all the bosses before I figured out how to work it) and World 1 (because Miralda doesn't have anything I care about). Pure black -> NPC phantom -> primeval demon -> one boss while alive and you're set.

It would be kind of nice if I could reliably keep places in pure black for general playing the game purposes, but I'll live. And hopefully we get another patch to clean this system up sooner or later.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
Can anyone help me find the lever for the elevator in 2-1? The one for the primeval demon, not the one for the blacksmith. I feel like I've been over the whole level, but haven't found it, or how to get up to the guys who are throwing boulders in the beginning.

edit: derp it's right by the elevator

Edly fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 4, 2009

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
This game finally made me buy a PS3. I figured the number of exclusive titles was large enough to justify the purchase and so for I have not been disappointed.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Anyone know where the broken sword is in 5-2? I feel like I've searched the whole level, but I can't find it. I don't really feel like grinding soldiers...

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Kris Knife in 2-1 claims to "boost magical ability". Does this mean it pumps up spell damage or is it just referring to the magic damage it does each swing?

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

The Kris Knife in 2-1 claims to "boost magical ability". Does this mean it pumps up spell damage or is it just referring to the magic damage it does each swing?

It acts like a ring of magical sharpness that gets better as you upgrade it.

Tzar
Jun 9, 2005

Dammit DeeDee, you've failed me for the last time!

dis astranagant posted:

It increases your magic stat, quite a lot. I haven't got plat but someone posted damage comparisons earlier in this thread, I think it doubled the damage of fireballs.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

The Raglay posted:

Yeah, the upgraded kris knife is ridiculous. Mine is only at +2 and it's insane what it can do. For example, when facing the red-eyed skeletons in 4-x on NG+, my flame thrower does 98 damage without the kris. With it equipped, the damage pushes 260-270.

This was posted earlier about the Kris Knife. This makes me want to go farming colorless demon souls right now.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

McCoy Pauley posted:

awesome quote

Well, looks like I'm using that. Does it have to be in the off hand or does it work as a catalyst? I was getting kinda grumbly because my soul arrows aren't quite one shotting miners and the mana waste was annoying.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
So I just ordered mine from YesAsia.com, it tells me it'll take just about a month to reach me which is fine - I just want to know if its reliable? I feel like this is something I should ask prior to ordering.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

Speaking of 2-1, at one point maybe more than half-way through, there looked like a couple of items on a platform across a bridge. I started going across and, perhaps predictably, it crumbled before I could make it across. Am I screwed now regarding those items?

Also, about World Tendencies, I've heard that dying in human form alters the tendency slightly towards Black, but is there a difference if you're killed by an enemy rather than through a careless environmental death? When do I get the Black Eye Stone too?

Still a great game so far, and it's a good kind of tough. And at least Herbs are plentiful enough. I used up practically my whole supply fighting the 1-2 boss.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

dis astranagant posted:

Well, looks like I'm using that. Does it have to be in the off hand or does it work as a catalyst? I was getting kinda grumbly because my soul arrows aren't quite one shotting miners and the mana waste was annoying.

You need the Kris Knife in the hand that your catalyst/talisman is not in, so you're going to be shieldless when it's equipped.

The Kris Knife is nice in that it stacks with the Magical Sharpness ring, so you can toss both on for a major damage upgrade (just be warned that your magic defense is going to drop like a rock when you're doing this).

Nick Biped posted:

Speaking of 2-1, at one point maybe more than half-way through, there looked like a couple of items on a platform across a bridge. I started going across and, perhaps predictably, it crumbled before I could make it across. Am I screwed now regarding those items?

Also, about World Tendencies, I've heard that dying in human form alters the tendency slightly towards Black, but is there a difference if you're killed by an enemy rather than through a careless environmental death? When do I get the Black Eye Stone too?

If you leave 2-1 and re-enter that platform will be there again, just start running and be at full speed before you step on the plank and you'll get across.

Not sure if suicide differs from enemy death in terms of world tendency alterations, I've just made a habit of letting an enemy take me down when I'm shooting for Pure Black.

You'll get the Blackeye Stone the first time you take down a NPC black phantom. This is likely to be either in 2-2 or 3-1, but where you get it doesn't actually matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Flinging myself off a cliff twice, and succeeding as a black phantom twice got me to pure black.

• Locked thread