Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
magical_ape
Apr 30, 2008

*Do justice to yourself*

Captain Seafart posted:

So I just ordered mine from YesAsia.com, it tells me it'll take just about a month to reach me which is fine - I just want to know if its reliable? I feel like this is something I should ask prior to ordering.

I ordered mine exactly 30 days ago, i emailed them a short time ago asking when it will be sent and they pretty much just replied with "should be about 30 days after you order it".
Shame you cant cancel the order with them or i would of gone with ncsx by now, they update alot and seem to have a hell of alot more shipments than the other 2 places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizzybone
Nov 24, 2007

Hackan Slash posted:

Anyone know where the broken sword is in 5-2? I feel like I've searched the whole level, but I can't find it. I don't really feel like grinding soldiers...

I can't pinpoint it, but when you get down into the swamp go to the left toward the area where the Black Phantom patrols. You can see items in the distance pretty easily and it's around there, maybe at the border of the swamp.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Dizzybone posted:

I can't pinpoint it, but when you get down into the swamp go to the left toward the area where the Black Phantom patrols. You can see items in the distance pretty easily and it's around there, maybe at the border of the swamp.

Thanks for the help.

I wish it was easier to find people to coop with. I'm trying to get world 3 white, but nobody ever appears to drop their blue stones. Anyone around soul level 58 want to help me clear world 3-2 and on?

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

Thanks for the replies. I'm not worrying too much about Character and World Tendencies yet while I'm going first time through the stages, but it'll be cool to see how they change as Pure White/Black.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Okay, I've got a question about Crystal Geckos in relation to the Wiki.

It mentions that if you miss out on a Crystal Gecko, you can "load the game" and regain the 1 instance of its appearance for another try (presumably indefinitely) but I have no idea what this means. Does this mean "immediately turn off your PS3 and turn it back on" or something? I just don't want to miss out on Pure Moonlightstone again

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Okay, I've got a question about Crystal Geckos in relation to the Wiki.

It mentions that if you miss out on a Crystal Gecko, you can "load the game" and regain the 1 instance of its appearance for another try (presumably indefinitely) but I have no idea what this means. Does this mean "immediately turn off your PS3 and turn it back on" or something? I just don't want to miss out on Pure Moonlightstone again

That's exactly what it means. It's possible to burn through all your gecko spawns and then never be able to get them back until you beat the game and start over. If you kill a gecko and it doesn't drop what you want, immediately quit out of the game and reload. It takes awhile and it sucks, but it's your best bet at getting what you want.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The Raglay posted:

That's exactly what it means. It's possible to burn through all your gecko spawns and then never be able to get them back until you beat the game and start over. If you kill a gecko and it doesn't drop what you want, immediately quit out of the game and reload. It takes awhile and it sucks, but it's your best bet at getting what you want.

So, just to make sure, I hit the PS Button and Quit Game from the XMB right? Without hitting X to confirm the item pick up? I'm just trying to get this down pat before I start hunting Crystal Geckos in 3-2 again

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

Policenaut posted:

So, just to make sure, I hit the PS Button and Quit Game from the XMB right? Without hitting X to confirm the item pick up? I'm just trying to get this down pat before I start hunting Crystal Geckos in 3-2 again

You can confirm the item pickup, but it's faster if you don't. Speed in quitting is more important than what you do in game. The point is to quit out before the auto save saves your status. As soon as you see a drop you don't want, quit game from the XMB. You'll probably spawn in a weird spot near the gecko, but the point is the gecko will be there for you to kill again.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

magical_ape posted:

I ordered mine exactly 30 days ago, i emailed them a short time ago asking when it will be sent and they pretty much just replied with "should be about 30 days after you order it".
Shame you cant cancel the order with them or i would of gone with ncsx by now, they update alot and seem to have a hell of alot more shipments than the other 2 places.

I ordered from NCSX and missed the shipment from last week due to trouble with my card. I emailed them about it and how I was hoping to have the game in hand this weekend. Customer support was extremely prompt in responding and said they hoped to get more in this last monday and that they would do everything they could to get it to me. They had it to me by thursday.

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.

Captain Seafart posted:

So I just ordered mine from YesAsia.com, it tells me it'll take just about a month to reach me which is fine - I just want to know if its reliable? I feel like this is something I should ask prior to ordering.

I ordered my copy from Yesasia, and the expected ship date was about a month. But they actually shipped it after three weeks, so that was cool.

magical_ape
Apr 30, 2008

*Do justice to yourself*
Just had an email exactly 30 days after ordering from yesasia saying they are pushing the date back to 19th of April :suicide:

JGTheSpy
Jul 31, 2002
Excuse me, but if I could have a moment of your time, I'd like to explain why you're not actually enjoying that game that you're enjoying. You see, I am in fact an expert. At games. I know, it's impressive.
My copy should be here today but my work schedule is all busy and weird. What is the save system like in this game? Can you play for 30 minutes at a time? How much time will I need to commit when I first start the game? That might sound stupid but I'm used to jrpgs that don't let me save for the first hour or more.

JGTheSpy fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Apr 6, 2009

Whorehey
Jun 3, 2006
You saw it here first folks...

JGTheSpy posted:

My copy should be here today but my work schedule is all busy and weird. What is the save system like in this game? Can you play for 30 minutes at a time? How much time will I need to commit when I first start the game? That might sound stupid but I'm used to jrpgs that don't let me save for the first hour or more.

For better or worse, the game has an autosave feature that kicks in almost immediately. This save feature would allow you to play for 30 minutes at a time or even 5 minutes at a time. There is an introductory "tutorial" that takes a little less than an hour to complete, but I believe the autosave feature would still allow you to turn it off and come back whenever you wanted.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Whorehey posted:

For better or worse, the game has an autosave feature that kicks in almost immediately. This save feature would allow you to play for 30 minutes at a time or even 5 minutes at a time. There is an introductory "tutorial" that takes a little less than an hour to complete, but I believe the autosave feature would still allow you to turn it off and come back whenever you wanted.

Keep in mind you'll need to quite from the game menu itself, rather than the XMB, etc. to ensure the game actually saves.

JGTheSpy
Jul 31, 2002
Excuse me, but if I could have a moment of your time, I'd like to explain why you're not actually enjoying that game that you're enjoying. You see, I am in fact an expert. At games. I know, it's impressive.
Sounds perfect. Thanks for the answers.

Whorehey
Jun 3, 2006
You saw it here first folks...
I'm on my first play through of New Game+ and I've beat Phalanx and now I'm searching for the monumental. I know where he/she/it is and I'm on my way to find it except...I find this door that asks if I want to go to the Pantheon. Sure, why the hell not? I went inside and it's a virtual leaderboard for most souls obtained, most phantoms saved and most black phantoms slain. It seems that the souls leaderboard is semi glitched, or maybe I'm just a little sleepy. Either way, I thought it was neat :).

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Be gone with you! You'll spoil my focus.

Whorehey posted:

I'm on my first play through of New Game+ and I've beat Phalanx and now I'm searching for the monumental. I know where he/she/it is and I'm on my way to find it except...I find this door that asks if I want to go to the Pantheon. Sure, why the hell not? I went inside and it's a virtual leaderboard for most souls obtained, most phantoms saved and most black phantoms slain. It seems that the souls leaderboard is semi glitched, or maybe I'm just a little sleepy. Either way, I thought it was neat :).

Nope, its actually an exploit. That's why all the top have straight 9's...
Rather to say that the straight 9's are an exploit, the hall's always been there x3
Its no fun to play that way though, actually i prefer to keep my level as low as I can, it makes my PVP mates die quicker... Although I love just clearing the level for some people occasionally (especially 4-2, that had me for a while, I've gone through and cleared out 4-2 through the leach room for a few people)

Talran fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 6, 2009

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
It's always been there ;)

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.
That Black Phantom in front of the boss doors in 3-1 is hardcore. She killed me about 4 times in a row before I gave up and ran past her to the Fool's Idol boss. Does she scale to your level or something, because the boss was a total pushover compared to that invisible bitch.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Be gone with you! You'll spoil my focus.

Sunday Punch posted:

That Black Phantom in front of the boss doors in 3-1 is hardcore. She killed me about 4 times in a row before I gave up and ran past her to the Fool's Idol boss. Does she scale to your level or something, because the boss was a total pushover compared to that invisible bitch.

I'm not sure, although I never had a problem with her on my low level character, but my level 70 at the time had to be careful.

So it might be the case that she scales to your character. x3

Vallens
Jan 27, 2004

Get back in line you drunken fool!

Sunday Punch posted:

I found the best tactic for her was to keep your shield up, then run in circles around her.

If she starts backing away from you, generally she is going to whip out her crossbow. Let her and dodge the shot. You'll have a few seconds to attack as she is reloading. If you are fast enough you can get in and backstab her.

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

Vallens posted:

I found the best tactic for her was to keep your shield up, then run in circles around her.

If she starts backing away from you, generally she is going to whip out her crossbow. Let her and dodge the shot. You'll have a few seconds to attack as she is reloading. If you are fast enough you can get in and backstab her.

Yep, your shield is your best friend. It's unlikely she'll be able to break your block, so make sure you don't expose yourself too long while attacking and you should be fine. If you have a ranged attack, just trade blows from a distance.

Edit: Also, a lot of the rocks in the area make excellent shields. Some of them are only waste high, but her arrows will still bounce off them. I don't use a bow, so I don't know if you can shoot over them or if there is some invisible wall. Might be a good way to cheese her.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I don't think the black phantoms scale with you, they're just significantly tougher than the rest of the enemies you'll face in any given level.

I'm using so many Fresh Spices these days it's kind of absurd, but fireballs at 20 MP add up real fast. They're dirt cheap anyway. Plus it's fun being able to one-shot most enemies with the Kris Knife +5 and Magic Sharpness ring. I need to go get the Monk's headgear for extra fun - the lack of magic defense isn't going to be a real issue, given most magic one-shots me anyway.

If I do play another character down the line (going to go for Platinum with my mage, I'm almost done the second playthrough and the last two should be pretty fast - my new game + has taken about a third of the time the original cycle lasted), I'd be curious about trying a meat shield character - tons of endurance and strength. It'd be fun to walk around using Garl Vinland's gear, once you get the 36 strength to one-hand his bludgeon.

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

Yeah it's more that I do so little damage to her so the fight lasts ages. Eventually I gently caress up and get backstabbed or shot in the face. I just thought it was weird that she's so much tougher than the boss of the level. Shield+spear kicks rear end though, 'cos you can stab her with the spear even while blocking crossbow bolts.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Vallens posted:

How do you fight her with a caster? I have pretty terrible aim with spells if I'm not locked on.

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002
DRIVE BY RANDOM TITLING! YOU MAY BE NEXT!

dis astranagant posted:

How do you fight her with a caster? I have pretty terrible aim with spells if I'm not locked on.

Lock on to her while staying far enough for her to use her crossbow instead of charging in to melee. Dodge the arrows by strafing back and forth and fire off spells or use items only after dodging one, she won't be able to move while she's in the reload animation.

Edit for rambling 1-3 Black Phantom trip report:

I spawned in right next to the guy near the entrance as he was summoning the second blue phantom. My previous attempt in 1-3 ended with a guy backstabbing me while I was facing him so I wasn't feeling too confident in my abilities or my internet connection. Thankfully, they were either too busying emoting to each other or my thief ring kept me out of sight so I did the sensible thing and ran right through them, making sure they could see my gigantic old monk hat streak by.

I made my way up to the area where the primeval demon usually spawns, killing a few soldiers here and there to be helpful. I wandered around the area, constantly checking my surroundings to make sure I wasn't followed, until I heard the sounds of barricades being broken as they were making their way to the Penetrator. I cautiously made my way to a ledge, locked on to the blue phantom, and nailed him with a fireball for a good chunk of his health. Naturally, he starts tumbling around like a circus reject and I follow suit by blasting the ledge I'm standing on with fireballs as he rolls around beneath me. I back up and consume an old spice while he eats some grass. I pop back up and manage to nail him with two soul lights to send him packing. I lock on to the host and nail him with a soul light, he panics and starts to eat grass, I nail him again and successfully poo poo in his cereal.

Tequila fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 6, 2009

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Tequila posted:

Lock on to her while staying far enough for her to use her crossbow instead of charging in to melee. Dodge the arrows by strafing back and forth and fire off spells or use items only after dodging one, she won't be able to move while she's in the reload animation.

Yeah, that was a lot easier than the conversation had me expecting. I got hit once, but that was just due to accidentally casting one too many times.

What determines the items that you can use on the square button? I'm out of crescent and half moon grasses, but I have plenty of the higher ones and would also like to not have to dig in the menu for spices.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

dis astranagant posted:

What determines the items that you can use on the square button? I'm out of crescent and half moon grasses, but I have plenty of the higher ones and would also like to not have to dig in the menu for spices.

You can equip any consumable item you want in those 5 slots. Just go to the "Equipment" screen and equip any grasses you want into those slots (or spices, throwing weapons, etc.)

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

McCoy Pauley posted:

You can equip any consumable item you want in those 5 slots. Just go to the "Equipment" screen and equip any grasses you want into those slots (or spices, throwing weapons, etc.)
You can equip everything in that tab, even souls which is useful if you have 30 unknown soldiers'.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

McCoy Pauley posted:

You can also equip all the souls you pick up, so when you have like 12 souls of certain type sitting in your inventory (which happens anytime you go through 3-2, for example) you can just equip them and spam through them all really quickly to get your souls.

ef,b

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Is the Firespray spell ever good for anything? I just bought it and I think I'm regretting it a little, as it does maybe 70 damage with the kris and ring of magical sharpness. The firerate's kinda nice, but it doesn't seem to ever break enemy blocks like the other attacks do.

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

Is the Firespray spell ever good for anything? I just bought it and I think I'm regretting it a little, as it does maybe 70 damage with the kris and ring of magical sharpness. The firerate's kinda nice, but it doesn't seem to ever break enemy blocks like the other attacks do.

You can move while firing and it fires quickly. I don't find it very useful against regular enemies, but it has its uses in PVP. If you shoot at someone, sometimes they'll stop moving and just let their shield absorb the small amounts of damage. Stop firing and just stand there, and dumber players will think you're out of mana and charge. Switch to a better spell and let 'em have it.

I don't think it's worth carrying around, but it's not entirely useless.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

dis astranagant posted:

It won't break the block because it's a bunch of tiny hits rather than a giant blast. What Firespray is useful for is taking out small/weak enemies cheaply (insects, rats, slow moving yet hard hitting humanoids, etc) and for keeping mobile against an enemy you don't want to stand still against.

Aside from PvP purposes, it's also possible to force the enemy AI to do what you want it to. Take the Cthulhu mages in World 3 for example - they've got three spells to cast on you - the sonic waves they unleash if you're very close to them, the paralysis orb they fire if you're at a short-mid range, and the soul arrows they fire from a distance. They're deadly - but if you force them to fire the electricity and you dodge it, their followup action is going to be to try to run up to you and get in range of the sonic waves. As they're chasing you you can simply back up while holding down Firespray and you'll burn them to a crisp before they decide that running after you isn't going to work. I had far more luck with the Black Phantom mages by retreating and using Firespray than any other tactic I had available early on.

It's not the greatest spell around, and in a lot of ways it's made obsolete by Moving Soul Arrow once you've got adequate Magic, but it's a decent little spell niche that it fills for 1 magic slot.

It's not really a waste anyway, as the other magical option for that soul is Ignite, and honestly I haven't found a use for that one - it's so short range that if I'm going to purposely let things get that close they're going to take a combo from my sword.

tl;dr - Firespray is the only spell in the game that you can use at full efficiency without limiting your movements or putting you at risk of getting nailed when stopping to cast.

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 6, 2009

Tzar
Jun 9, 2005

Dammit DeeDee, you've failed me for the last time!

Hamburger Test posted:

You can equip everything in that tab, even souls which is useful if you have 30 unknown soldiers'.

I love you. Long time. Even though I knew you could equip souls (after almost using a demon soul instead of grass :shobon:) this usage never occured to me, it took forever to get rid of 60+ various souls.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Tortolia posted:

It won't break the block because it's a bunch of tiny hits rather than a giant blast. What Firespray is useful for is taking out small/weak enemies cheaply (insects, rats, slow moving yet hard hitting humanoids, etc) and for keeping mobile against an enemy you don't want to stand still against.

Aside from PvP purposes, it's also possible to force the enemy AI to do what you want it to. Take the Cthulhu mages in World 3 for example - they've got three spells to cast on you - the sonic waves they unleash if you're very close to them, the paralysis orb they fire if you're at a short-mid range, and the soul arrows they fire from a distance. They're deadly - but if you force them to fire the electricity and you dodge it, their followup action is going to be to try to run up to you and get in range of the sonic waves. As they're chasing you you can simply back up while holding down Firespray and you'll burn them to a crisp before they decide that running after you isn't going to work. I had far more luck with the Black Phantom mages by retreating and using Firespray than any other tactic I had available early on.

It's not the greatest spell around, and in a lot of ways it's made obsolete by Moving Soul Arrow once you've got adequate Magic, but it's a decent little spell niche that it fills for 1 magic slot.

It's not really a waste anyway, as the other magical option for that soul is Ignite, and honestly I haven't found a use for that one - it's so short range that if I'm going to purposely let things get that close they're going to take a combo from my sword.

tl;dr - Firespray is the only spell in the game that you can use at full efficiency without limiting your movements or putting you at risk of getting nailed when stopping to cast.

Ah. The normal Cthulhu mages only take 2 shots from flamethrower and are stunned by the first and I hadn't run into the black phantoms yet. Firespray does seem to make short work of those skeletons that roll all over the goddamn place in 4-1, it definitely isn't a good idea to stand still for one of those.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Trophy question, in case anyone knows the answer - for the gold trophies (get all magic, all miracles, etc), do they have to be on the same character all at once, or is it simply a total PSN account tally?

I think I'm going to roll up a heavy tank build to play around with and if I can use the Old Monk and Maiden souls to get their weapons and have them count towards the running total then it's one less playthrough on my magician to worry about.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Tortolia posted:

Trophy question, in case anyone knows the answer - for the gold trophies (get all magic, all miracles, etc), do they have to be on the same character all at once, or is it simply a total PSN account tally?

I think I'm going to roll up a heavy tank build to play around with and if I can use the Old Monk and Maiden souls to get their weapons and have them count towards the running total then it's one less playthrough on my magician to worry about.

Since they're all individual trophies, and not a single big trophy for getting everything I'm going to assume that it can be on seperate characters.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Whorehey posted:

I've been using the "Quit Game" feature while at a portal stone in one of the non-nexus worlds, to avoid losing world tendency on save/reload, which works. If I "Quit Game" in the middle of a level, will it return me to exactly where I was (including enemies killed already dead, etc, etc) on reload?

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Quinton posted:

I've been using the "Quit Game" feature while at a portal stone in one of the non-nexus worlds, to avoid losing world tendency on save/reload, which works. If I "Quit Game" in the middle of a level, will it return me to exactly where I was (including enemies killed already dead, etc, etc) on reload?
Yes, just as if you had just done a phantom stint without winning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slab_Bulkhead
Mar 17, 2009
I have a question I couldn't find an answer to in the wiki. I just beat the boss of 2-3 and noticed that between the two harpoons is a giant FF7 looking sword sticking out of the ground. The only problem being it's blocked by rubble on both sides. How does one get to that?

• Locked thread