Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taisa
Jul 22, 2004
Sexy Incubus

Oakey posted:

And lots of scooters. It kind of amuses me that the scooter riders in the city are way more hardcore than the bikers, even if they do tend to only wear jeans and a hoodie.

Second this. I've put 3000 miles on my bike since mid-September, and I've seen at least twice the amount of scooters this winter. I sometimes question if I should be riding in 37 degree weather with a downpour, and then I see a scooter in the mentioned getup come the other direction as if it were 70 degrees and sunny. Ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Yep, scoots seem to be the only thing on two wheels that keeps moving throughout the winter (well, unless you count the odd nutjob like me that rides year round). Still, what the gently caress. How is anything below 15*C too cold? Grow a pair. :whip:

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
If I waited until it was 15C to ride, my season would be about a month long.

I also ride for pleasure and see no reason to deny myself that pleasure just because it isn't 70º and sunny out. There's also the no bugs factor, and dammit I just get the urge to roll on 2 and I'm willing to scratch it all year.

In fact, I'm going to gear up and take the GS for a bath. It's drat grubby after a winter of riding and it's finally warm enough for the brakes not to freeze up after a trip to the carwash. Let me tell you, when the calipers freeze up after a wash, it's a bit exciting....

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I ride when I feel like riding, and I don't always feel like riding. Odds are when it's cold and miserable out I'm more likely to pass on it. Cmdr. Shepard, don't feel obligated to ride when you aren't feeling up to it. It's a good way to get turned off riding and a good way to get yourself hurt. I have a friend who always used to look down his nose at me for wearing my winter coat in October. My response was always "at least I'm warm!"

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Linedance posted:

I ride when I feel like riding, and I don't always feel like riding. Odds are when it's cold and miserable out I'm more likely to pass on it. Cmdr. Shepard, don't feel obligated to ride when you aren't feeling up to it. It's a good way to get turned off riding and a good way to get yourself hurt. I have a friend who always used to look down his nose at me for wearing my winter coat in October. My response was always "at least I'm warm!"

I'm not trying to kill anyones buzz or anything, I understand that I'm more particular than most of you when it comes to weather. I was just commenting more so on the fact that we *should* be having high 50's and low 60's right now instead of upper 30's and a snowstorm coming on Monday...

The coldest I've taken my bike out in was 44 and let me tell you, I regret that to this day. I wore long underwear, sweatpants, and my riding pants, 2 long sleeve shirts, my jacket with a liner, and a windbreaker over the jacket, socks, my regular riding gloves (big mistake).

Within minutes I couldn't feel my fingers, my toes were numb because air was getting in between the bottom of my pants and the opening to my boot, my helmet was fogged and my eyes were so teared up I couldn't see. Other than switching out a pair of winter gloves (and sacrificing protection), and maybe a scarf or something, I don't know what else to do to fix the problem of cold air in my helmet. It wasn't enjoyable at all :(

I'm ok with the fact that my ideal riding season is roughly ~4 months long, it sucks but a lot of things in life suck.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

When riding to work in December I had thin gloves under my thick bike gloves. It felt like it took 10 seconds to unclench my fist (crack, crack, crack) and pull the clutch. While really wishing for heated grips, I put my hand on the cylinder head to warm it on a red light. Didn't feel much heat coming through and was sad. Then suddenly OW! really hot! Burned a hole in the fabric patch over the leather, hand nice and toasty for 20 seconds, then cold again.

I'd get heated grips for next winter, but I just got a new (loving great!) job where my commute is 7 minutes on foot. Yay!

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

FELLOW GOONS: WHEN THIS POSTER OFFERS TO BRAID YOUR PUBES, SAY NO!!!

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

The coldest I've taken my bike out in was 44

I wore long underwear, sweatpants, and my riding pants, 2 long sleeve shirts, my jacket with a liner, and a windbreaker over the jacket, socks, my regular riding gloves (big mistake).

Within minutes I couldn't feel my fingers, my toes were numb because air was getting in between the bottom of my pants and the opening to my boot, my helmet was fogged and my eyes were so teared up I couldn't see.

Seriously? Ride when you want to ride and don't let anyone tell you otherwise but maybe you should hold onto these details next time you feel like elaborating. 44 degrees isn't that cold. At all. I'm not trying to be all macho man but your hyperbole is a little ridiculous.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

Seriously? Ride when you want to ride and don't let anyone tell you otherwise but maybe you should hold onto these details next time you feel like elaborating. 44 degrees isn't that cold. At all. I'm not trying to be all macho man but your hyperbole is a little ridiculous.

it's cold enough, it's below freezing at highway speeds. Sure on a bright sunny day down country lanes it might be fine, but on a damp drizzly morning 6C is lovely and cold and not even remotely fun to be out riding in.
If you're touring or cruising and just enjoying the scenery it's not going to factor really, but if you're on a sport bike and looking to attack some twisty roads it can be dangerous at those temps because you never know when you're going to run into a frost patch in some shady low-lying spot, and your tires are never going to get any heat into them.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

How does it feel to have such a big penis?

There's no hyperbole here, just relaying my experience.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

FELLOW GOONS: WHEN THIS POSTER OFFERS TO BRAID YOUR PUBES, SAY NO!!!

Linedance posted:

If you're touring or cruising and just enjoying the scenery it's not going to factor really, but if you're on a sport bike and looking to attack some twisty roads it can be dangerous at those temps because you never know when you're going to run into a frost patch in some shady low-lying spot, and your tires are never going to get any heat into them.

This is pretty obvious. I was merely pointing out how exaggerated it all sounded. Not being able to tear up the twisties and being frozen solid under 12 layers of clothing are different things. I probably fired that off too quickly and perhaps not tempered enough, but I really wasn't trying to dickwave. I also don't get as cold as most people (though I am more sensitive to heat) so experiences certainly vary.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

How does it feel to have such a big penis?

No point when it's frozen and shrunk like a frightened turtle.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
so i got my ktm 440 running today and it was pretty fun as long as i never opened the throttle at all. but then i was riding up a dirt road and the chain flew off. how the hell does a chain fly off?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Master link let go?

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
Have any of you got helmet cameras or something similar? A lad I know is after getting one, but he's quite unsure about which one to buy since there's loads and they're all quite expensive.

Any tips?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

kcer posted:

Have any of you got helmet cameras or something similar? A lad I know is after getting one, but he's quite unsure about which one to buy since there's loads and they're all quite expensive.

Any tips?

What price range is he looking at?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

so i got my ktm 440 running today and it was pretty fun as long as i never opened the throttle at all. but then i was riding up a dirt road and the chain flew off. how the hell does a chain fly off?

It yielded under the power of the 440.

EDIT: It must be noted it took about 2 hours to start the drat thing for the first time.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

Z3n posted:

What price range is he looking at?

He mentioned one he liked for £140 ($210) I think, so somewhere around that mark probably.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

VTNewb posted:

It yielded under the power of the 440.

EDIT: It must be noted it took about 2 hours to start the drat thing for the first time.

Do the coil mod, it makes things much easier to start. I'm doing a write up on the process for my project thread soon.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
The bike has CDI, not battery powered coils. If the coil mod is what I think you're talking about, it would not be possible on a dirtbike such as the 440.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Nerobro posted:

The bike has CDI, not battery powered coils. If the coil mod is what I think you're talking about, it would not be possible on a dirtbike such as the 440.

Whoops, read that as KZ440 and figured he was dealing with old wiring like I am.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

If it's still connected through all links then loose adjustment + long suspension travel is your answer.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

It's also worth saying that I almost died when It decided to start.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

VTNewb posted:

It's also worth saying that I almost died when It decided to start.
440 2t + coasting downhill at a decent speed + 1st gear + throttle open + no clutch

i don't think i ever opened up more than a third of its power and it still scared me.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

440 2t + coasting downhill at a decent speed + 1st gear + throttle open + no clutch

i don't think i ever opened up more than a third of its power and it still scared me.

If you had started riding on a literbike you wouldn't be having this problem, pussy.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.
Now that I've had it back for a few months I decided to take the Thruxton out for a mellow day of tooling around in perfect Southern California weather.

I brought the DSLR, and captured it's post-mod, post-repair goodness.

Then I went on the still publicly available portions of the LBGP track.

I had British Customs' Predator exhaust, iridium plugs and airbox removal kit put on while they did the insurance repairs. There's a very noticeable boost in power.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

kcer posted:

He mentioned one he liked for £140 ($210) I think, so somewhere around that mark probably.

I picked up a complete system from CEdigital.com.

You can use the discount code racer to get 25$ off, I don't know if shipping is going to be bad for your location...

Quality:
http://www.vimeo.com/2411322

It's survived a number of crashes too. Not a bad little setup. It's the cheapest one that I could find about a year back that didn't have the weird ripple effect. It stores to SD cards, which is handy...no skips from vibration or anything like that.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

Z3n posted:

I picked up a complete system from CEdigital.com.

You can use the discount code racer to get 25$ off, I don't know if shipping is going to be bad for your location...

Quality:
http://www.vimeo.com/2411322

It's survived a number of crashes too. Not a bad little setup. It's the cheapest one that I could find about a year back that didn't have the weird ripple effect. It stores to SD cards, which is handy...no skips from vibration or anything like that.

I'll pass that on and see what he says.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...
Whoever decided to design my bike with a circuit breaker was a smart man. I accidentally put my new battery in backwards this weekend, realized my mistake, and looked for a blown fuse. Surprise, surprise, no blown fuses, but the bike wasn't working - one quick search later and I find there's a circuit breaker.

Is this a common feature on bikes?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
no.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
I don't know much at all about cars or motorcycles in general, but I have never ever heard of a circuit breaker on either a car or motorcycle.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

OrangeFurious posted:

Just gotta say, that is one sexy looking bike.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Trintintin posted:

I don't know much at all about cars or motorcycles in general, but I have never ever heard of a circuit breaker on either a car or motorcycle.

Actually you do see them on cars sometimes. My Ranger has one for the wipers which came in handy when you turned them on while they were frozen to the windshield. I've never seen one on a bike before though.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

laymil posted:

Whoever decided to design my bike with a circuit breaker was a smart man. I accidentally put my new battery in backwards this weekend, realized my mistake, and looked for a blown fuse. Surprise, surprise, no blown fuses, but the bike wasn't working - one quick search later and I find there's a circuit breaker.

Is this a common feature on bikes?
never heard of it. what kinda bike? are you sure it's not some custom addon?

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

never heard of it. what kinda bike? are you sure it's not some custom addon?

Absolutely sure; I found the reference to it on a model specific forum. It's an '89 GSX600F.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
I managed to blow a fuse on my bike when I was replacing the tacho, oil temp and headlight bulbs. Quite lucky then that I'd just found where they were. Must have done with when checking with the tester screwdriver that everything was working.

There was a definite heart sinking moment when I plugged everything back in and turned the key on, and nothing lit up. Then I pressed the horn and, lo and behold, it didnae work, so I knew instantly that it was the fuse (the horn, instrument lights and the tail lights are all on the same fuse).

Valfar
Nov 12, 2004

Born to lose, live to win.
Yay my bike is starting to look like a bike again!

(This is how it looked about a week ago)

Now I just have to mount the rear light (just zip-tied right now) and change oil, then hit the roads (if it doesn't start raining...)!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/06april09_supermono.htm

Oh yes. Only 52000$, but still...what a work of art.

:fap:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

It's really just cool knowing that thing exists.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That is so stereotypical Ducati.

*makes a bike that tons of people would want and appreciate*

*prices it so only really wealthy people will buy it and then never ride it*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Have we ever discussed this crazy cool thing?:

http://www.motoczysz.com/main.php?area=home

The Moto Czysz C1