Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Slab_Bulkhead posted:

I have a question I couldn't find an answer to in the wiki. I just beat the boss of 2-3 and noticed that between the two harpoons is a giant FF7 looking sword sticking out of the ground. The only problem being it's blocked by rubble on both sides. How does one get to that?

You need to have World 2 at 100% White Tendency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Slab_Bulkhead posted:

I have a question I couldn't find an answer to in the wiki. I just beat the boss of 2-3 and noticed that between the two harpoons is a giant FF7 looking sword sticking out of the ground. The only problem being it's blocked by rubble on both sides. How does one get to that?

Pure white tendency for World 2, I believe. That seems to be the answer for any "Suchandsuch is blocked off in World X, how do I get it?"

Slab_Bulkhead
Mar 17, 2009
Well, crap. Thanks for the quick responses guys. I'm not really trying for world tendency on my first play through, but I'll remember that the next time.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
So I was trying to turn 3-1 white, entering and exiting to see if I oculd find any blue phantoms to rescue. I get invaded by a guy with a name like penchu, who runs up to me and firestorms me, which knocks me off the ledge. I chalk this up to bad luck, use a stone, and continue my search. This guy breaks in again and the same thing happens.

I use another stone, and this guy breaks in again! This time I bait his spell, then manage to knock him off the ledge. He breaks in again, and I knock him off the ledge again. He breaks in a third time, tries the same thing, and one of the blue phantoms I finally summoned backstabs him. We go on to finish the level, and world 3 has been turned white. Thanks dude!

About an hour later, I'm farming the reaper to be able to use the blueblood sword when my best friend shows up! He still is only using firestorm, and I wait outside on the cliff with the skeletons. I shoot a soul light at him, and he rolls off the level!

So in short, this guy manages to lose three soul levels in the course of and hour. Unfortunately, my pvp experiences are not usually this much fun. I'm either practically one-shotting people or not even scratching them. I think they increased the level range to much.

Also, the two black phantom royals in 1-3 are dicks. I won't ruin it anymore then that if you haven't experienced it.

Whorehey
Jun 3, 2006
You saw it here first folks...

Hackan Slash posted:

PVP experience shortened for a refined aesthetic.

I too have been wondering more and more about the Black Phantom invasion level requirements in relation to your own. Finding an even match in terms of fighting is few and far in between, but finding someone who can one or two shot you/you can two shot them is far more frequent. Equipment, weapons and skill are obviously a huge factor in this but still...a Large Sword of Searching should not take someone down in three swings. I don't fully understand the nature of "critical strikes" in this game either, maybe that's got something to do with it.

NG+ level requirements seem to be at LEAST +/- 15 (tried it out several times this morning with a SL 96 while I was only SL 81), but does anybody have any information on Black Phantom break ins?

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Whorehey posted:

NG+ level requirements seem to be at LEAST +/- 15 (tried it out several times this morning with a SL 96 while I was only SL 81), but does anybody have any information on Black Phantom break ins?
I don't have any solid info, but at SL 70, still on normal I get matched up with people in NG+ fairly often - and I can confirm I have been meeting people far higher level than me very often. I've mostly tried doing 1-3. It's gotten so bad I have given up getting character tendancy to black through invading people.

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
If you are invading the world as a black phantom, what can you do to increase your hide ability besides a thief ring and the hide spell? While farming for reapers a BP invaded, ran behind me and didnt materialise in my vision until his spear was sticking through my stomach. I would LOVE to be that invisible when I invade others.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007

tazman posted:

If you are invading the world as a black phantom, what can you do to increase your hide ability besides a thief ring and the hide spell? While farming for reapers a BP invaded, ran behind me and didnt materialise in my vision until his spear was sticking through my stomach. I would LOVE to be that invisible when I invade others.

IIRC, you can stack the graverobber ring, subdue soul, and blueblood sword onto the hide spell and thief ring.

I finally managed to get enough Will for the Thirst spell (200 mp and 3 slots, yikes), and it seems like it was made for farming reapers. It's only active for the same 40 seconds all other buffs are, but it gives you a ton of souls. With all three soul boosting things, you get more then double the normal amount.

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
Doesn't the graverobber ring/subdue soul spell protect you FROM black phantoms? Not the other way around?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

tazman posted:

Doesn't the graverobber ring/subdue soul spell protect you FROM black phantoms? Not the other way around?

I think it's one of those "bizarro" translation deals, like with the dropped Soul items that say you'll become a Soul. It works both ways.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Hackan Slash posted:

IIRC, you can stack the graverobber ring, subdue soul, and blueblood sword onto the hide spell and thief ring.

Correct except for Hide and the Blueblood. Blueblood specifically adds Hide as its passive effect, and I don't think they actually stack. I've also tried Black Phantoming with the Thief, Graverobber, and Blueblood, but people have still spotted me from a good distance (10-20 feet) and I didn't have any other buffs or auras up that would give me away. I'm thinking the spells have a more pronounced effect than the rings, so maybe I should start using Subdue Soul.

I really wish there was a reliable way to specifically invade someone's game, then we could just invade each other and do some tests to see how the visibility actually works.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

e: I figured it out, I just suck rear end at gauging distances.

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 7, 2009

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
What's your guy's thoughts on Blind, the sword you pick up from BP Selena? It's speed and the fact it goes through shields have me intriguied, as well as the fact I can stack cursed weapon on it. I've been saving up some colorless demon souls, should I use them?

Also, that fight with Selena is a bitch and a half. It makes me wonder though, if you invade 5-2 can you freely move through the muck like all the enemies? Level 5 is the only one I've never had someone try and break in, which is odd because it is one of the easiest ones to die in.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Hackan Slash posted:

It makes me wonder though, if you invade 5-2 can you freely move through the muck like all the enemies? Level 5 is the only one I've never had someone try and break in, which is odd because it is one of the easiest ones to die in.

5-2 is just a deathtrap for whomever decides to play in it, whether it be Black Phantom or living people.

I'm fairly sure that you move at the same pace in the purple muck as a B. Phantom that you do as you're living, and you're still subject to the Poison that it can (and will) inflict. Not to mention that the entire area is way too dark, has way too many high places to fall off and die, you get lost way too easily if you're not familiar with the surroundings, and it's simply too loving big.

Think about the space you have to cover in 5-2, you've got the little entry way and the cliffside path along with the shanty town. Then you've got the absolutely humongous swamp that takes forever to go through and has inumerable places to hide in. Imagine hunting for someone who's standing in a corner using Subdue Soul, Thief Ring, Graverobber's Ring, and a Blueblood Sword? You'd be hunting forever!

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Hackan Slash posted:

What's your guy's thoughts on Blind, the sword you pick up from BP Selena? It's speed and the fact it goes through shields have me intriguied, as well as the fact I can stack cursed weapon on it. I've been saving up some colorless demon souls, should I use them?

Also, that fight with Selena is a bitch and a half. It makes me wonder though, if you invade 5-2 can you freely move through the muck like all the enemies? Level 5 is the only one I've never had someone try and break in, which is odd because it is one of the easiest ones to die in.

Does it actually ignore shields, or is it treated as magic damage like the sword of moonlight, or what? There are a few weapon descriptions claiming special properties they don't really have (see: shotel) so I never actually tried Blind out; I'll have to experiment with it later.

And the easiest place to score a black phantom kill is standing in for the world three boss, by far; free opening backstab and inflated stats! World 5, as mentioned, is bloody huge and easy to suffer environmental deaths in. I like to hit people in 5-1 now and then, but 5-2 is pushing it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Policenaut posted:

Why you never hunt in 5-2.

Yeah, this about covers it. You'd be looking forever and getting nowhere.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Anyone had luck farming up a Pure Bladestone? I'm sitting on 32 luck and have a sword of searching and I can't get one of the things to drop.

Wiki says they drop off 4-2 black phantom skeletons (I'm aware of three at pure black tendency - one dual wield phantom and two of the golden ones, all along the second outer cliff pathway) and the black skeleton in the hidden passage. I'm getting splinters and the odd chunk, but still no Pure drop.

I'm assuming it's just bad luck on the random drops, but if anyone can confirm a drop off either I'd appreciate it.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Fuzz posted:

Correct except for Hide and the Blueblood. Blueblood specifically adds Hide as its passive effect, and I don't think they actually stack.
Do you have any confirmation that the Blublood actually does that? There's nothing on the description about that effect. I tried testing it out versus monsters and the sword did absolutely nothing to increase the detection distance, while both the spell and the ring have noticeable effect.

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

What do you mean it's not done!?

Irony.or.Death posted:

Does it actually ignore shields, or is it treated as magic damage like the sword of moonlight, or what? There are a few weapon descriptions claiming special properties they don't really have (see: shotel) so I never actually tried Blind out; I'll have to experiment with it later.

And the easiest place to score a black phantom kill is standing in for the world three boss, by far; free opening backstab and inflated stats! World 5, as mentioned, is bloody huge and easy to suffer environmental deaths in. I like to hit people in 5-1 now and then, but 5-2 is pushing it.

Both Blind and Moonlight Sword ignore opponent shields, you get a instant guard-break with them. 50% of Shotel damage goes through shields I believe, including the bleed status.

Tortolia posted:

Anyone had luck farming up a Pure Bladestone? I'm sitting on 32 luck and have a sword of searching and I can't get one of the things to drop.

Wiki says they drop off 4-2 black phantom skeletons (I'm aware of three at pure black tendency - one dual wield phantom and two of the golden ones, all along the second outer cliff pathway) and the black skeleton in the hidden passage. I'm getting splinters and the odd chunk, but still no Pure drop.

I got mine off the BP dual-katana skeleton near the two golden ones. The drop rate is abysmal though, somewhere around 1~3%.

JGTheSpy
Jul 31, 2002
Excuse me, but if I could have a moment of your time, I'd like to explain why you're not actually enjoying that game that you're enjoying. You see, I am in fact an expert. At games. I know, it's impressive.
I love the way this game makes you think you're a big badass and then beats you down and laughs at you. I constantly want to get revenge on the game for smashing my pride. It's very hard to stop playing.

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.
Getting killed is so easy if you're not ridiculously cautious. Even low level enemies can destroy you if you screw up or get unlucky. It's awesome though when you overcome a difficult enemy or situation that's killed you repeatedly. Pulling off a successful parry riposte on the blue knights in 1-1 was so satisfying.

Has the bonus damage you get from addedparam been quantified at all? Like, E rank in strength gives you a bonus of half your strength, A rank in magic is a bonus of twice your magic stat or whatever? How high do your stats have to be for the better addedparam ranks of quality/sharp/crushing etc. weapons to make up for their worse base damage?

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Be gone with you! You'll spoil my focus.

Policenaut posted:

5-2

Nice thing if you know the are and are the black phantom is that whenever your mark gets poisoned, you see their HP bar pop up. I love hunting people in 5-2... I know I had a hell of a time when I was going through 5-2 my first time, plus having all that muck (which does slow you down too) is interesting.

I just put my poison ring, Brand, and Gloom armor and go hog wild.:science:
This way I get to see them every time they are poisoned, and they never see me coming.
Edit: Because I'm almost never poisoned.

Talran fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Apr 7, 2009

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Policenaut posted:

5-2 is just a deathtrap for whomever decides to play in it, whether it be Black Phantom or living people.

I'm fairly sure that you move at the same pace in the purple muck as a B. Phantom that you do as you're living, and you're still subject to the Poison that it can (and will) inflict. Not to mention that the entire area is way too dark, has way too many high places to fall off and die, you get lost way too easily if you're not familiar with the surroundings, and it's simply too loving big.

Think about the space you have to cover in 5-2, you've got the little entry way and the cliffside path along with the shanty town. Then you've got the absolutely humongous swamp that takes forever to go through and has inumerable places to hide in. Imagine hunting for someone who's standing in a corner using Subdue Soul, Thief Ring, Graverobber's Ring, and a Blueblood Sword? You'd be hunting forever!

I like to hunt in 5-2. I like it because most people won't be using that combo, they'll be wearing gloom armour, using the adjudicators shield and wielding the meat cleaver. The regeneration effect lights them up like a christmas tree. The same applied to the fragrant ring. I stalk them with my thief's ring, and stick to the islands. When they venture out into the muck I shoot at them.

I like to watch their decision making process as they choose whether to stay out in the swamp and die a slow death of poisoning and being sniped at, or whether to come on to the island where I am. Usually I carve them up with baby's nail a bit then switch to something more hard hitting and they run back into the swamp and die.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Unknown_PC posted:

I got mine off the BP dual-katana skeleton near the two golden ones. The drop rate is abysmal though, somewhere around 1~3%.

I don't mind farming them since I pull about 60-70K souls in three minutes by killing those three skeletons and the reaper, but I just wanted to be sure that there was a chance. Thanks for the confirmation!

Also, for the monk's headpiece, when you earn it is it on the ground after you return to your game or do you automatically get it after the kill (if you get the drop)?

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Hahaha I got this this morning and was going through the tutorial fine, until I get to the boss and he instakills me. Got taken to the nexus and couldn't work out a way to get back to that guy but hey, here's a blue glowy dude that tells me to use a stone so I go through to what i'm assuming is 1-1. I'm doing fine, going through up the stairs until some guy drops an iron ball on me, but i'm still alive. Then I get slaughtered by what i'm guessing is a blue eyed knight. But no big deal, I run all the way back and go the other way, take out a few archers, then get slaughtered by a red eyed thing with a shield and a spear :(

It's really really fun but i'm wondering - since I died on the tutorial and now have 50% of my max HP, the guy with the spear pretty much 1 hits me. How do I go about regaining my physical form? I can nearly kill the guy if i'm lucky but he's just too quick for me right now - compared to the cakewalk enemies throughout the level so far it's a shock going from them to him. Playing a wanderer.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Thievery posted:

Hahaha I got this this morning and was going through the tutorial fine, until I get to the boss and he instakills me. Got taken to the nexus and couldn't work out a way to get back to that guy but hey, here's a blue glowy dude that tells me to use a stone so I go through to what i'm assuming is 1-1. I'm doing fine, going through up the stairs until some guy drops an iron ball on me, but i'm still alive. Then I get slaughtered by what i'm guessing is a blue eyed knight. But no big deal, I run all the way back and go the other way, take out a few archers, then get slaughtered by a red eyed thing with a shield and a spear :(

It's really really fun but i'm wondering - since I died on the tutorial and now have 50% of my max HP, the guy with the spear pretty much 1 hits me. How do I go about regaining my physical form? I can nearly kill the guy if i'm lucky but he's just too quick for me right now - compared to the cakewalk enemies throughout the level so far it's a shock going from them to him. Playing a wanderer.

You're not supposed to kill the red-eyed knight right now, so come back to him another time. As you've noticed the blue eyed knights are enough of a challenge for you and you're supposed to fight them!

Near where you find the first blue knight is a staircase down the main wall (after you kill the knight, instead of going in the door he was guarding keep going forward to the far door) - you can open a shortcut to make it easier to get back up there, but more importantly you can find the Cling Ring right by the bottom of the stairs, which increases your max HP in soul form to roughly 75% of max. You'll be wearing this often!

To get revived you can either kill a boss (either in your game or by going into another person's game to co-op and killing one there), invading another player and killing them as a black phantom, or using a Stone of Ephemeral Eyes - those are uncommon but if you don't waste them you can still wind up with 25+ of them over a playthrough.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
This looks like such an awesome game. I don't know why they had to release it on such an expensive system.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

sclark13 posted:

This looks like such an awesome game. I don't know why they had to release it on such an expensive system.

Should have been a Wii game. :rolleye:

CTRL
May 1, 2008

Tortolia posted:

To get revived you can either kill a boss (either in your game or by going into another person's game to co-op and killing one there), invading another player and killing them as a black phantom, or using a Stone of Ephemeral Eyes - those are uncommon but if you don't waste them you can still wind up with 25+ of them over a playthrough.

I'd like to add to this that you can also be summoned as a blue phantom and help a player kill a boss to revive.

JGTheSpy
Jul 31, 2002
Excuse me, but if I could have a moment of your time, I'd like to explain why you're not actually enjoying that game that you're enjoying. You see, I am in fact an expert. At games. I know, it's impressive.

sclark13 posted:

Probably because no one in the country it was actually released in gives a gently caress about the 360.

Eru
Dec 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Tortolia posted:

You're not supposed to kill the red-eyed knight right now, so come back to him another time. As you've noticed the blue eyed knights are enough of a challenge for you and you're supposed to fight them!

Don't let that stop you if you have some magic handy. :riker:

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.

Thievery posted:

There are many situations in this game to which the correct response is running the gently caress away. This is one of them. You will get destroyed repeatedly at first, but keep playing and you'll work out the combat and upgrade your character, which will help your life expectancy a lot.

Also you can kill the Red Knight easily at any soul level if you kite him to the tower filled with fire dreglings and explosive barrels. Let him chase you and most of the time he'll fall off the stairs trying to reach you. Worked for me :)

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Thanks for the advice guys, I managed to go back on and kill the blue knight with ease (Backstabbing him twice with a Mail Breaker) and the rest hasn't been too tough. Beat the Phalanx easily, but after finding Demon's Souls Wiki it turns out I missed the thief ring :( I'll go back and grab it. I also got to the tower knight but the archers just mauled me to death :) Having to re-do that whole part is tedious but it's so good to drag the blue eyed knights out and get them ignited by the dragon. And speaking of dragon i'll have to work out a tactic to kill him soon.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Thievery posted:

Thanks for the advice guys, I managed to go back on and kill the blue knight with ease (Backstabbing him twice with a Mail Breaker) and the rest hasn't been too tough. Beat the Phalanx easily, but after finding Demon's Souls Wiki it turns out I missed the thief ring :( I'll go back and grab it. I also got to the tower knight but the archers just mauled me to death :) Having to re-do that whole part is tedious but it's so good to drag the blue eyed knights out and get them ignited by the dragon. And speaking of dragon i'll have to work out a tactic to kill him soon.

Tower Knight is pretty easy: kill the archers and snipe him from their former positions. He can only hit you if you're in very specific locations while you're on the wall. Bring a bow, crossbow or the soul arrow spell and about 50 shots and you can take him down without a scratch while having some ammo to spare while you figure out the timing.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Be gone with you! You'll spoil my focus.

dis astranagant posted:

Tower Knight is pretty easy: kill the archers and snipe him from their former positions. He can only hit you if you're in very specific locations while you're on the wall. Bring a bow, crossbow or the soul arrow spell and about 50 shots and you can take him down without a scratch while having some ammo to spare while you figure out the timing.

I find any fast weapons great for taking his ankles out. Then all you have to do is bash his head in. This is after taking out the archers of course :3

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Tortolia posted:

Also, for the monk's headpiece, when you earn it is it on the ground after you return to your game or do you automatically get it after the kill (if you get the drop)?

I don't know why it is, but the only time I got the Old Monk's Headpiece was after I won the battle when the opponent died en route to the top. Yeah, any time the enemy died from the BP Mind Flayers I would get it.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Seems I won't be doing the Tower Knight for a while, I died so often in soul form I now have two Black Phantoms by where the two Blue Eyed Knights and Archers are at the end of the bridge -_- Managed to lure one out, and backstabbed him 5 times but it wasn't enough. Each time I got him pretty low he'd heal up, but eventually he managed to hit me so I had to heal myself while dodging him, and it didn't really work.

On the subject of weapons - Will I end up finding any melee weapons suited to dex characters or are they mainly just str? I'm assuming daggers would be dex while swords and everything else would be str. Also, am I likely to get the option to buy new weapons or should I just upgrade my Falchion?

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

You can upgrade weapons along the 'Sharp' path that increases the bonus from your dexterity stat, which is a good if you can find the bladestone you'll need to do so. An upgraded weapon early on will greatly assist you, and most higher level weapon upgrades will need different materials anyway, so go ahead and upgrade the falchion or whichever weapon you like. I picked the short spear and kept pumping upgrades into it, which works great against armoured enemies but not so well against groups. Whichever weapon you pick you'll need different ones for different situations so bear that in mind.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Thievery posted:

Seems I won't be doing the Tower Knight for a while, I died so often in soul form I now have two Black Phantoms by where the two Blue Eyed Knights and Archers are at the end of the bridge -_- Managed to lure one out, and backstabbed him 5 times but it wasn't enough. Each time I got him pretty low he'd heal up, but eventually he managed to hit me so I had to heal myself while dodging him, and it didn't really work.

On the subject of weapons - Will I end up finding any melee weapons suited to dex characters or are they mainly just str? I'm assuming daggers would be dex while swords and everything else would be str. Also, am I likely to get the option to buy new weapons or should I just upgrade my Falchion?

If you have access to 4-1, I'd suggest making a run through the beginning of that level to get the Crescent Falchion +1, which does both physical and magic damage, and is probably twice as strong as what you're using now, if you've just got a regular Falchion. Those Sharpstones to upgrade the regular Falchion might be better saved for ugprading the Winged Spear you can get on the first bridge section in 1-2, because a spear is going to be very handy in World 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.
I've read through the wiki information on world tendency and it looks like things are pretty messed up after the patch. I'd like to get Boletaria to pure white. I don't really see any options to get my world tendency up there except maybe hanging around and hoping people invade my game and that I can kill them. Is there any good way to get my world tendency to pure white when I already have 1-1 through 1-3 completed? Or am I going to have to try again in NG+?

• Locked thread