Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Tortolia posted:

Also, for the monk's headpiece, when you earn it is it on the ground after you return to your game or do you automatically get it after the kill (if you get the drop)?
Short story first, answer at the bottom.

This just happened. I am tooling around on almost new character, only soul level 26 and having done 1-2 and 2-1. Unfortunately I'm in soul form and want to revive so I can summon some help for 2-2, 4-1 and 5-1 so I pop down a blue marking in world 3. 1 minute later I am summoned, as a black phantom.

Fully convinced I don't really have a chance of winning I'm just organising equipped rings when - "Target was destroyed" - which I quickly click through including a loot notification in my haste to leave. Upon reviving I have the head piece in my inventory.

gently caress, I wasn't even going for a spell caster on this one.

Guess I should have refreshed the thread first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Thievery posted:

Seems I won't be doing the Tower Knight for a while, I died so often in soul form I now have two Black Phantoms by where the two Blue Eyed Knights and Archers are at the end of the bridge -_- Managed to lure one out, and backstabbed him 5 times but it wasn't enough. Each time I got him pretty low he'd heal up, but eventually he managed to hit me so I had to heal myself while dodging him, and it didn't really work.

On the subject of weapons - Will I end up finding any melee weapons suited to dex characters or are they mainly just str? I'm assuming daggers would be dex while swords and everything else would be str. Also, am I likely to get the option to buy new weapons or should I just upgrade my Falchion?

I think many of the rapier-type weapons are suited for Dex characters, but I can't comment directly because I generally go Str since big swords are fun. :v:

I'm not really a fan of the Falchion. It has a very short reach, but then again it's a good candidate for the Sword of Searching because it's cheap to upgrade.

What you should really look at is the Winged Spear on the bridge of 1-2. I'm not sure which section it's on, but I think the 2nd. You'll probably die once to get it but that doesn't sound like that'll be an issue. It's got some good power and as it's a piercing weapon it'll get you through 2-x with some upgrades. Just be wary of upgrading it to the unique spear unless you're done with it, as the power goes down quite a bit.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

ImpactVector posted:

What you should really look at is the Winged Spear on the bridge of 1-2. I'm not sure which section it's on, but I think the 2nd. You'll probably die once to get it but that doesn't sound like that'll be an issue. It's got some good power and as it's a piercing weapon it'll get you through 2-x with some upgrades. Just be wary of upgrading it to the unique spear unless you're done with it, as the power goes down quite a bit.

It's on the first section of the bridge -- I believe the second item you can pick up. I think that picking it up means you're pretty much going to die in the fire unless the dragon isn't there anymore, but it's worth it.

And yeah, I would recommend transforming it into the unique spear (the "Scraping Spear") -- it's much less powerful than the Winged Spear+7, and useful mainly for being a jerk in PvP.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
If you like the dagger or spear style of combat and want to favor Dex, then Sunday Punch's suggestion of going the Sharp weapon path is a good one - bladestones are pretty common drops in world 4 and at +3 the dex bonus jumps to A rank.

If you're a fan of the curved sword type combat (scimitar, falchion, etc) then the Crescent Falchion is a good choice for the added magical damage - alternately, you can go Sharp or you could go for Tearing, which increases bleed damage and has a huge Dex bonus (S rank at +3).

Bladestones are off skeletons in world 4, and you can get Suckerstones (for Tearing) off the slugs in 4-2 and 5-2.

Don't hesitate to upgrade some weapons to play around with them - especially using Hardstones and Sharpstones, which are exceedingly common drops and can be purchased from several vendors.

Edit: To clarify, Hard and Sharpstones are your generic weapon upgrade stones - at certain points along a weapon upgrade path you can shift them into a different weapon type with different properties, and those use different stones. The "Sharp" weapon type confusingly uses Bladestones to upgrade and NOT Sharpstones.

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 7, 2009

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.
I think the scraping spear has a good dexterity bonus, so if that stat is high it might be worth it. Of course, by the time you've upgraded it all the way you can probably access better weapons. There are a few weapons that get a good bonus from dexterity, like the Penetrating Sword, Blind, Gripless and maybe some others I'm forgetting.

I don't know how much of an influence Addedparam has though.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Sunday Punch posted:

I don't know how much of an influence Addedparam has though.

Yeah, this is a good question, and I don't know that anybody has sat down to work it out yet. From what I can tell, there seem to be levels of AddedParam beyond just the letter grades -- that is, you can upgrade a Weapon with an "A" AddedParam to a better "A" AddedParam -- the shows up blue and the damages bonus increases, but the letter stays at "A" rather than upgrading to "S." Not sure how many levels of gradation there are with that.

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

McCoy Pauley posted:

Yeah, this is a good question, and I don't know that anybody has sat down to work it out yet. From what I can tell, there seem to be levels of AddedParam beyond just the letter grades -- that is, you can upgrade a Weapon with an "A" AddedParam to a better "A" AddedParam -- the shows up blue and the damages bonus increases, but the letter stays at "A" rather than upgrading to "S." Not sure how many levels of gradation there are with that.

My basic thought has been that letters act as a range. So if A represents a damage boost based on 201-300 percent of a given skill (I'm just making these numbers up), then S represents a 301-400 percent boost. If upgrading from +3 to +4 increases the percentage from 240 to 260, you're still within the A range, but the power is still increased. That's a bit different than hard and fast tiers.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

The Raglay posted:

My basic thought has been that letters act as a range. So if A represents a damage boost based on 201-300 percent of a given skill (I'm just making these numbers up), then S represents a 301-400 percent boost. If upgrading from +3 to +4 increases the percentage from 240 to 260, you're still within the A range, but the power is still increased. That's a bit different than hard and fast tiers.

That makes a lot of sense. I suppose I could just sit down with a pad and paper and spend some time upgrading some weapons from regular on up to +10 and seeing how the parameters affect the bonus -- the formula probably isn't that hard. Of course then I start playing the game and get all excited to go collect souls somewhere and forget about any such plans.

EDIT: What does the Augite of Guidance do? I realize I should just try one, but somehow I always forget when I'm playing the game.

McCoy Pauley fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 7, 2009

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.
It's just a flare I think? I threw one on the floor to find out what it did and it just lights up dark areas as far as I can tell. Maybe use it to bait a trap in PVP or something.

The problem with working out how much of a bonus Addedparam gives you is that as you upgrade a weapon the base damage goes up too. So you couldn't really separate it out. There are some that just upgrade Addedparam, leaving the base damage the same, but I think all of those need colourless demon souls to upgrade. Which you probably don't want to waste just on research.
Instead you should upgrade your stats, as that's only one variable. Get a weapon with S rank Addedparam magic or whatever then see how much damage goes up as you increase your magic stat.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

sclark13 posted:

This looks like such an awesome game. I don't know why they had to release it on such an expensive system.

JGTheSpy posted:

Probably because no one in the country it was actually released in gives a gently caress about the 360.

Honestly any console is kind of expensive, but the PS3 is the most expensive and doesn't have as many games that interest me as the other systems.

I don't currently own a console, but this game makes me want to buy a PS3. I hate games with good online components like this. You can't wait for them to drop in price or have emulator/hardware technology catch up enough to run it. Otherwise there is no online aspect or everyone else is much more experienced with the game than you are.

Still its nice to read selected stories from this game. It would probably make a pretty good Lets Play thread.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

sclark13 posted:

Still its nice to read selected stories from this game. It would probably make a pretty good Lets Play thread.

A few people early on did Death Twitters in the game and there are still (hopefully) a ton of videos in the OP of people playing so that's kind of a Let's Play.

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.
Is there any armor better for a nimble character than the black leather that a thief starts with? Everything I've found is considerably heavier.

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

Black Leather armour is one of the lightest in the game, so you're pretty much stuck with it if you're unwilling to use anything heavier. So long as you're good at dodging you should be OK though.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Sunday Punch posted:

The problem with working out how much of a bonus Addedparam gives you is that as you upgrade a weapon the base damage goes up too. So you couldn't really separate it out. There are some that just upgrade Addedparam, leaving the base damage the same, but I think all of those need colourless demon souls to upgrade. Which you probably don't want to waste just on research.
The detailed equipment view tells you the base damage as well as the bonus as two separate numbers. The real issue is if you are testing with a weapon/upgrade path that gets a bonus from both of either str and dex or magic and faith.

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.
I'd be fine with something a bit heavier, but most things are like 8-10x heavier. The closest I've found to something reasonable so far is the Beggar's armor. Miralda's armor looks promising but I need pure white tendency in Boletaria to get that. The rogues armor looks interesting, but it seems to have a lower defense than my black leather and requires pure white in world three. I'm not very worried right now, but I think in NG+ I'll need all of the help I can get.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

JGTheSpy posted:

Probably because no one in the country it was actually released in gives a gently caress about the 360.

sclark13 posted:

Honestly any console is kind of expensive, but the PS3 is the most expensive and doesn't have as many games that interest me as the other systems.

I don't currently own a console, but this game makes me want to buy a PS3. I hate games with good online components like this. You can't wait for them to drop in price or have emulator/hardware technology catch up enough to run it. Otherwise there is no online aspect or everyone else is much more experienced with the game than you are.

Also is the fact that, from what I've heard, XBL is absolutely terrible in Asia, and it's not free, and the online component is a HUGE part of this game. Plus it's From Software... of course they'd make it on whatever current gen Playstation system there was.

Wait around and go get MH3 when it comes out on the Wii if you want a game that's hard and kicks your teeth in. Otherwise go get a job.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Oae Ui posted:

I'd be fine with something a bit heavier, but most things are like 8-10x heavier. The closest I've found to something reasonable so far is the Beggar's armor. Miralda's armor looks promising but I need pure white tendency in Boletaria to get that. The rogues armor looks interesting, but it seems to have a lower defense than my black leather and requires pure white in world three. I'm not very worried right now, but I think in NG+ I'll need all of the help I can get.

I'm pretty sure you can get Miralda's armor from her with Pure Black tendency as well (which is obviously a lot easier to make happen under the new, screwed up Tendency system). It doesn't seem to be a huge upgrade for defense, though, and while it's light, it's still like 3X as heavy, at least for the chest piece.

If we happen to be so luck as to get a sequel, it seems like armor would be something they could improve on -- both more options and the ability to upgrade, like maybe upgrade ore that lowers the weight of armor.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Oae Ui posted:

Is there any armor better for a nimble character than the black leather that a thief starts with? Everything I've found is considerably heavier.

Not really. The only other stuff I'd even really consider is the venerable sage set and old king doran's armor, and both of those would require some investment in increasing your equip weight. Black leather is pretty much as good as it gets.

Caveat: My dex character was male, so maybe there's a good female only set; I didn't really look at them.

Regarding addedparam, I did a tiny bit of testing for my own amusement but don't seem to have actually saved my notes. As I recall adding one point of magic gave me something like an additinal +1 attack and magic attack with the blueblood sword, +3 with my crescent mailbreaker +5, and +5 (or +7?) with...either my insanity catalyst or my kris knife +5; I forget which. I'll try to remeber to write this stuff down next time.

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.
From what I see on the wiki and on some other sites killing her with black tendency gets you her axe but not her armor. I do hope they make a sequel and I hope it has more armor options. I'm a bit jealous of the knights and all of the neat looking armor they have to choose from.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

McCoy Pauley posted:

I'm pretty sure you can get Miralda's armor from her with Pure Black tendency as well (which is obviously a lot easier to make happen under the new, screwed up Tendency system). It doesn't seem to be a huge upgrade for defense, though, and while it's light, it's still like 3X as heavy, at least for the chest piece.

If we happen to be so luck as to get a sequel, it seems like armor would be something they could improve on -- both more options and the ability to upgrade, like maybe upgrade ore that lowers the weight of armor.

You get her Axe when you kill her on Black Tendency. For the Binded armor you need to have full white. Also, the big draw of her armor is that it's actually really high defense for its weight (better defense than the chainmail set, but weighs less) and the fact that it has really high fire resistance, one of, if not the, highest on an armor in the game. With that set on and a ring of flame resistance, you can laugh at most fire attacks on a first-run game, with the exception of the dragon, but that's because the dragon does like 400 damage with its fire.

If you're playing a female char and like Light Armor, there's nothing better, as far as I have seen. If you're playing a dude, there's the Old King's set, but that's a lot harder to get, ad from what I've heard in IRC, it's not as good.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Thank you guys for all the advice and help so far. I found the spear a short while after my last post and have got through what i'm assuming is the majority of 2-1 (It's so fun backstabbing those miner dudes with a spear) but had to go out before I could finish it up - Which i'm going to do now. I'll try running 4-1 for that Falchion too, sounds neat :)

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Thievery posted:

Thank you guys for all the advice and help so far. I found the spear a short while after my last post and have got through what i'm assuming is the majority of 2-1 (It's so fun backstabbing those miner dudes with a spear) but had to go out before I could finish it up - Which i'm going to do now. I'll try running 4-1 for that Falchion too, sounds neat :)

Yeah, the Falchion is definitely neat, and there's also a nice Compound Long Bow not that much further along in the level -- 4-1 is just generally a great level for picking up treasure.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

McCoy Pauley posted:

Yeah, the Falchion is definitely neat, and there's also a nice Compound Long Bow not that much further along in the level -- 4-1 is just generally a great level for picking up treasure.

The enemies there are loving brutal, though. The black skeletons can blow off all but a sliver of my health in one shot and are generally a pain in the rear end. The flying things are nice, though. I can one shot them with my bow and they're worth over 500 souls.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

dis astranagant posted:

The enemies there are loving brutal, though. The black skeletons can blow off all but a sliver of my health in one shot and are generally a pain in the rear end. The flying things are nice, though. I can one shot them with my bow and they're worth over 500 souls.

Wait till you get to 4-3.

Also, don't forget to pickup the Talisman of God in 4-1, as well. If you want to be ballsy and get some help, you can get the Adjudicator's Shield pretty easily, as well. The Ring of Regeneration and Graverobber's Ring take a little more effort and ingenuity to get, but if you have Evacuate and some Soul Lights, you can get all the other stuff easily.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

dis astranagant posted:

Those black skeletons are like moths to the flame if you toss a soul remains somewhere near them. These make it pretty easy to get the Crescent Falchion and Adjudicator's Shield, and to get past the last black skeleton before the boss. I suppose the Demon Prank spell would work as well.

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002
DRIVE BY RANDOM TITLING! YOU MAY BE NEXT!
When you use an augite it temporarily leaves a little ball of colored light on the ground like the ones on Yurt's platform in 3-2.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Fuzz posted:

Wait till you get to 4-3.

Also, don't forget to pickup the Talisman of God in 4-1, as well. If you want to be ballsy and get some help, you can get the Adjudicator's Shield pretty easily, as well. The Ring of Regeneration and Graverobber's Ring take a little more effort and ingenuity to get, but if you have Evacuate and some Soul Lights, you can get all the other stuff easily.

Thankfully I have a good formula for killing the regular skellies: 22 str and the greatclub. The r2 attack knocks them down and then an r1 finishes the job. I catch them just as they get up and they're screwed. My royal has a much easier time, but I've been playing a hunter to great effect lately, though I've only done 1-2 and 2-1 bosses (3-1's cthulhu mages annoy me too much to feel like doing that right now, plus I'd probably run out of arrows)

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

magical_ape posted:

I ordered mine exactly 30 days ago, i emailed them a short time ago asking when it will be sent and they pretty much just replied with "should be about 30 days after you order it".
Shame you cant cancel the order with them or i would of gone with ncsx by now, they update alot and seem to have a hell of alot more shipments than the other 2 places.

Argh, thats unfortunate. Hm, update the thread when you get it ok? I'm going to have to gently caress around their website and see how/if to track my order.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

dis astranagant posted:

Thankfully I have a good formula for killing the regular skellies: 22 str and the greatclub. The r2 attack knocks them down and then an r1 finishes the job. I catch them just as they get up and they're screwed. My royal has a much easier time, but I've been playing a hunter to great effect lately, though I've only done 1-2 and 2-1 bosses (3-1's cthulhu mages annoy me too much to feel like doing that right now, plus I'd probably run out of arrows)

3 regular arrows with a decently upgraded Compound Short Bow takes care of them (I think mine was at +5 when I went through there) -- each arrow stuns them, too, so if you get a clear shot they're easy to take down. If you have the lava bow it's even easier, since fire does a real number on those guys (although obviously you don't have that if you haven't cleared 2-2 yet).

Quick question about New Game+. Does the fact that I have the 2-1 Blacksmith the Flamelurker soul carry over to the New Game+, and therefore I can use boss souls to craft weapons right away, or do I have to give him Flamelurker's soul again in the New Game+ to get that option?

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

McCoy Pauley posted:

Quick question about New Game+. Does the fact that I have the 2-1 Blacksmith the Flamelurker soul carry over to the New Game+, and therefore I can use boss souls to craft weapons right away, or do I have to give him Flamelurker's soul again in the New Game+ to get that option?

You have to give it to him again. And you have to rescue Freke again. And Yuria. Stupid game.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Haha, seems I managed to gently caress up last time I finished playing. I pretty much cleared 2-1 (To the point where you extinguish the fires) and was about to go down but since I had to go out I left and saved my game in the nexus after using my souls. Now when I go back I have no healing items or souls to buy more and died pretty fast. I just made myself run 1-1 to restock though, which was pretty neat. Ran 4-1 and got the Talisman but then got slaughtered, the rolling skeletons really startled me at first just due to how quickly they can move and I ended wasting all my healing items on them, so i'll have to rerun 1-1, not like it's that tough. I upgraded my spear and falchion as I couldn't get to the Crescent one :( But they seem decent enough.

I really wish I could get online with this game, but unfortunatly every time I try and download the patch my PS3 fucks up. I really need to get it fixed some time.

magical_ape
Apr 30, 2008

*Do justice to yourself*

Captain Seafart posted:

Argh, thats unfortunate. Hm, update the thread when you get it ok? I'm going to have to gently caress around their website and see how/if to track my order.

Yea il update you when i get it, but like i said earlier, they sent me an email pretty much exactly 30 days after i ordered it saying they were expecting to ship itout on April the 19th.
I have my fingers crossed as tight as possible.

Fruitdish
Mar 3, 2008

purple bushes in the glass tower infront of the glorious obama statue; 2012.
ok so i've got the game and i've played through it.
Yes, it was hard, not inhumane but it did bring me into those frustrated zones which only street fighter has managed to get me into.

But yeah, as i finished 1-4 i got tricked into newgame+, i'm soullevel 81 and pretty much screwed. I guess this is where the real demon's souls begins.

so for all of you who think the game is hard, don't go into newgame+ until you're atleast soullevel 100+ and have pimped yourselves up with some pro gear (unlike me whom were stupid enough to go there.. well it was by mistake but nevermind that.)

Binbin
Jul 15, 2003

World tendency is the worst thing swear to god

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

gently caress Maiden Astraea. Seriously, gently caress that weak little bitch.

It's not that she's a hard boss or anything, I'm pissed off at the fact that her Soul is linked to four different things! Jesus, it requires you to beat the game four times to get all of her stuff! The Blueblood Sword, Ressurection, Death Cloud, and Relief are all awarded from her Blueblood Soul. Why the gently caress couldn't some of these be linked to the Demons who have only one purpose? Like Penetrator or Tower Knight?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Policenaut posted:

gently caress Maiden Astraea. Seriously, gently caress that weak little bitch.

It's not that she's a hard boss or anything, I'm pissed off at the fact that her Soul is linked to four different things! Jesus, it requires you to beat the game four times to get all of her stuff! The Blueblood Sword, Ressurection, Death Cloud, and Relief are all awarded from her Blueblood Soul. Why the gently caress couldn't some of these be linked to the Demons who have only one purpose? Like Penetrator or Tower Knight?

Yeah but Death Cloud and Relief both suck, so they don't matter. I find it more interesting that Yuria gives you Relief while Freke gives you Death Cloud. The designers are clearly confused by certain things.

VVVV- Neat, never saw that. I really need to just beat the game and get to NG+.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 8, 2009

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Fuzz posted:

Yeah but Death Cloud and Relief both suck, so they don't matter. I find it more interesting that Yuria gives you Relief while Freke gives you Death Cloud. The designers are clearly confused by certain things.

Actually, I like that if you talk to them right before the end of the game, Yuria's getting afraid of using souls, and Freke is pretty obviously being corrupted by their power. A neat little bit that most people won't notice.

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002
DRIVE BY RANDOM TITLING! YOU MAY BE NEXT!

Binbin posted:

World tendency is the worst thing swear to god

Shifting tendency to black is much quicker this time around since you can put any extra ephemeral stones to good use.

But shifting tendency to white is the worst thing. Especially since blue phantoms dying can ruin it for you.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Fuzz posted:

VVVV- Neat, never saw that. I really need to just beat the game and get to NG+.

Well, my issue is that I'm going for Platinum and I'm sort of required to get all the rings/weapons/magics/miracles to do so. It's very amusing, I need 2 weapons, 1 ring, 1 miracle, and 7 magic spells to get all those Gold Trophies. It's just infuriating, they should have balanced Soul rewards better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Policenaut posted:

Well, my issue is that I'm going for Platinum and I'm sort of required to get all the rings/weapons/magics/miracles to do so. It's very amusing, I need 2 weapons, 1 ring, 1 miracle, and 7 magic spells to get all those Gold Trophies. It's just infuriating, they should have balanced Soul rewards better.

I agree. Old Monk is used for four things as well. It's a bit much, but at least on that final playthrough you can just do worlds 3 and 5 and be done with it.

World Tendency is a neat mechanic but it could definitely use some major refinements. At least pure white (which is the hard one) only rewards you once per world and that's it, whereas pure black (which is easy to get) has the colorless souls each playthrough.

As for Astraea's soul and the magic you get from it, I actually found it more interesting that when you get world 5 to pure white and talk to Selen she mentions how despite the filth and decay of the valley, there's a very definite sense of purity to everything.

• Locked thread