Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taisa
Jul 22, 2004
Sexy Incubus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9nN9gFlBsI

Sounds amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Lets discuss the seating position of the R1 and the R6 vs. say the CBR600rr and 1000rr. Have any of our R6 or R1 owners found them to be bearable for short to midrange trips say as little as 4 miles as many as 150? the same question goes out to our cbr guys. What do you guys do to make yourselves more comfortable on your respective bikes? I went yesterday and spent about 2 hrs sitting on bikes and chatting with sells-guys and I know the R6 and R1 wasn't nearly as uncomfortable as I expected personally and that the CBR's I sat on actually did hurt my back rather quickly.

Just curious as my current commute is only about 2-3 miles, but looking at moving shortly and may have as much as a 30-40 mile commute each way. I don't currently own any of these but am really interested in hearing from owners or people who have ridden them vs. the get payed to play guys.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.
Anyone drink the FJR1300 flavored coolaid?

Seriously thinking about getting one for a longer distance machine. Fell in love with my friend's 07 so I've been researching them. Just wondering if any goons ride one.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
The C1 is crap.
  • It's heavy. roughly 80lbs to heavy.
  • Forks have high unsprung weight. Low stiction, which is good, but they need to address the weight issue.
  • Swingarm design is poor. It has three load points instead of the normal one. Each load point adds weight.
  • The motor wastes power, every gear to gear interface loses 1-2% of power.
  • The motor is longitudinal, which means there's a bevel drive, again losing power.

It's got a lot of good ideas. But NONE of them are mature enough to be rolled into a competitive bike. And some of the design choices were made for aesthetics, instead of engineering. That's bad on a race bike.

The forks could be awesome, if they got the weight down. The motor design, is a good idea, it self cancels it's own torque, and given it's axis of rotation will help prevent wheelies and stoppies. That should give it an acceleration and braking advantage. However, the axis of rotation will also make front tire loads greater in tight corners.

Taisa
Jul 22, 2004
Sexy Incubus

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

Just curious as my current commute is only about 2-3 miles, but looking at moving shortly and may have as much as a 30-40 mile commute each way. I don't currently own any of these but am really interested in hearing from owners or people who have ridden them vs. the get payed to play guys.

I own an r6, and I have to say the only time I've been seriously uncomfortable is during a trip with a heavy backpack and super cold temps over a distance of 150 miles. I've found that staying comfortable just means switching from full tuck to sitting upright, and the positions in between. If it doesn't feel like you're straining yourself to reach the handlebars (you're too short) then you shouldn't find yourself stuck in positions that eventually make you sore or uncomfortable.

I guess if anything about it is unbearable, it would be not being able to open up the drat thing except on freeways.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Taisa posted:

I own an r6, and I have to say the only time I've been seriously uncomfortable is during a trip with a heavy backpack and super cold temps over a distance of 150 miles. I've found that staying comfortable just means switching from full tuck to sitting upright, and the positions in between. If it doesn't feel like you're straining yourself to reach the handlebars (you're too short) then you shouldn't find yourself stuck in positions that eventually make you sore or uncomfortable.

I guess if anything about it is unbearable, it would be not being able to open up the drat thing except on freeways.

If you dont mind me asking how tall/heavy are you? I forgot to include that, I'm 5' 7" and about 250 lbs. I'm a broad boy not super fat :)

Taisa
Jul 22, 2004
Sexy Incubus
I'm 6'ish and weigh 175. Here's some pics from when I got it, since words only go so far.

You can see how bent my arms are, and how upright I am. I know most of my friends who sit on it can't get quite this vertical with both hands on the handlebars.

Standing next to it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Spiffness posted:

Have we ever discussed this crazy cool thing?:

http://www.motoczysz.com/main.php?area=home

The Moto Czysz C1

Way cool in theory, an awesome sounding engine, but...crippled by the fact that they started a bike and then motogp shifted over to the 800s. There's not really a future in their bike as a production bike without some major changes and a really high entry cost, and I don't think they'd qualify for homogulation under standard race rules. It'd never be competitive in motogp, but it could have made a decent AMA/World Superbike bike.

The forks are the heavy, bizzaro design to address something that most modern bikes deal with via chassis flex...hitting bumps while you're leaned over. A half an inch drop off when you're leaned over at 45+ degrees feels like you're dropping off the side of the planet, their system would allow them to tune for it. Fantastic concept, would need a lot of work and a rider who could understand it and help them design and tune it at the fastest speeds.

An awesome concept, but like the ELF hub steered bike back in the 80s, it needs time, money, and development to compete. Let's face it: There's one direction that suspension has gone for the last 30+ years of development, and even BMW passed on putting their tele/paralever suspension on their racebikes. That should say enough about how highly developed modern telescoping fork technology is, and then think of trying to make up 30 years of racing trial and error in a year or 2...it's just not going to happen. The last bike that had a prayer of starting that revolution was the Britten, and I don't think we'll ever see something like that again. Modern bikes are too highly tuned for that.

The days of the garage (or even the wealthy eccentrist) builder coming out and getting out of the gate with a ground up design that can run at the front of the race pack are over. And to get any sort of respect in the motorcycle performance market, you better be winning something.

It's unfortunate, there's some facinating potential there, but it's never going to come to term given the way the racing market and the current economy is. I'd love to ride one just to see what it was like though. Another bike and maker that will have it's moment of fame for being innovative, pulling off the impossible in a lot of ways, but he'll never cut it in the modern race environment, and as such will end up being mostly forgotten in a decade or so. A total shame. My 2c.

Ponies, I found the CBR1000RR and older 600RRs (not the current gen) pretty comfortable. I'm 5'11 with really short legs and really long arms. My 929 and the 1000RR were better at speed because the wind would help keep the weight off my wrists. Same with the 600RR. I've only ridden R1s and R6s on the track, so no help there, although the R6 has the ultimate ergos for track riding for me, which means it'd probably be pretty poo poo for street riding.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 7, 2009

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Z3n posted:

Ponies, I found the CBR1000RR and older 600RRs (not the current gen) pretty comfortable. I'm 5'11 with really short legs and really long arms. My 929 and the 1000RR were better at speed because the wind would help keep the weight off my wrists. Same with the 600RR. I've only ridden R1s and R6s on the track, so no help there, although the R6 has the ultimate ergos for track riding for me, which means it'd probably be pretty poo poo for street riding.

Ok, cool I really am drooling over the R1 but per your suggestion I am also checking out the 600's. My wife will only let me have 1 bike and so I wanted something I would never want to upgrade from. I think I'm gunna call some friends and try out a few bikes if I can. See how I like the new "modern" 600 and litre bikes since I last rode. Also anyoone know of a dealer in central cali that allows for test rides? my local dealer doesnt :/

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ok, cool I really am drooling over the R1 but per your suggestion I am also checking out the 600's. My wife will only let me have 1 bike and so I wanted something I would never want to upgrade from. I think I'm gunna call some friends and try out a few bikes if I can. See how I like the new "modern" 600 and litre bikes since I last rode. Also anyoone know of a dealer in central cali that allows for test rides? my local dealer doesnt :/

If you put comfort aside for the moment, and you really want a good all arounder supersport, buy a GSX-R750. The 600s are nice but are a bit lacking in engine in the typical street use RPMs, and the literbikes have so much power that it's a constant temptation to just rip it up to a hundred every time you hit a mildly straight road. That bike is down on power almost 50hp on a modern SS1000 as well.

A 750 gives you some of the midrange of a literbike, still gives you a nice rush up the RPMs as you build power, but doesn't give you the balls out insanity of a modern supersport 1000.

The new CBR1000RR is an amazing motorcycle, absolutely astounding. I rode one back to back with a friend's 03 GSX-R1000, and the difference was staggering. It's everything a liter supersport can be, honestly...power for days, super composed chassis, responsive (although my friend's had some issues with the HESD at higher speeds, I believe), and just fantastic all around. It's also utterly insane for any sort of street use, the kind of bike that makes me think that tiered licensing is a good idea.

I sold my 929 because I have lovely self control, and the new 1000RR would be even worse...I spent a few months adjusting to my 929, wondering how you could ever need more power, and then found that I'd adjusted to it after awhile and was pinging it off the rev limiter every time I took it up into the twisties. It was so easy to go fast on it, and it's so much easier to go so much faster on the new 1000, and it's just...scary. It's the sort of thing that gets idiots like me killed. My friend who owns the bike is capable of having his fun without winding it out all the time. I'm not.

Really, liter SS bikes are some of the most fantastic motorcycles available to mankind. They're everything a performance bike can be. Anyone who has ever smiled that idiot grin as they ripped the throttle open should ride one once they have the skills to do it without dying. But to bastardize another phrase...with great power comes great responsibility, and it's all too easy to get yourself killed on one. So it's a very good idea to look at yourself before you buy one and figure out if you can live with leaving all of that power untapped on a daily basis. That, more than anything else, determines how good an idea owning a literbike is for someone. I know people who can, I know that I can't.

Sorry for the :words:.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Spiffness posted:

Have we ever discussed this crazy cool thing?:

http://www.motoczysz.com/main.php?area=home

The Moto Czysz C1

Truly amazing concept, but it will never go anywhere. There is an assload of money being poured into conventional suspension technology by bigtime heavy hitters like Ohlins, Showa, Kayaba, WP, Marzocchi, and the likes. The C1's suspension, while cool, just cant make up for the sheer amount of man-hours and R&D these companies an put into their suspension.

As was said above, the days of being able to make a world beater with a handful of people and some venture capital are gone. The Japanese big 4, and Ducati have some of the best and most brilliant engineers working for them, and they extract everything they can from their machines, and then they do even more next year.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Lets discuss the seating position of the R1 and the R6 vs. say the CBR600rr and 1000rr. Have any of our R6 or R1 owners found them to be bearable for short to midrange trips say as little as 4 miles as many as 150? the same question goes out to our cbr guys. What do you guys do to make yourselves more comfortable on your respective bikes? I went yesterday and spent about 2 hrs sitting on bikes and chatting with sells-guys and I know the R6 and R1 wasn't nearly as uncomfortable as I expected personally and that the CBR's I sat on actually did hurt my back rather quickly.

Corbin seat and heli-bars?

I wish my commute was 2-3 miles I'd have an excuse to buy another bicycle.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Bob Morales posted:

Corbin seat and heli-bars?

I wish my commute was 2-3 miles I'd have an excuse to buy another bicycle.

shhh Don't mention that!!! It takes away my excuse to buy a motorcycle :P Nah actually I have 3 bicycles but will probably be moving around 20-30 miles out along the central coast of california right by cambria/cayucas into my town of SLO :D

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Why do you have more than one bike you can only ride one at a time. :hurr:

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Doctor Zero posted:

I ride one and my ego rides on the other that way it can go do stupid poo poo without me. Nah joking aside one is my downhill bike and one is a road bike for commuting.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

gently caress, I just realized I have in my posession 5 2 wheeled vehicles (2 bikes, a non running scoot, 2 SVs), yet no car.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Z3n posted:

gently caress, I just realized I have in my posession 5 2 wheeled vehicles (2 bikes, a non running scoot, 2 SVs), yet no car.

There's a simple solution to this staring at your face.
Weld the bikes together, toss in the motor and running gear from the scoot (scrap the rest), and voila! A car, a street bike, and a race bike.

Duh.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gr3y posted:

There's a simple solution to this staring at your face.
Weld the bikes together, toss in the motor and running gear from the scoot (scrap the rest), and voila! A car, a street bike, and a race bike.

Duh.

I believe the only thing that would follow that is somehow figuring out a way to park my trackbike in the bicycle-car, and then going at the speed of 12mph all the way to the track. :v:

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
Take the Scott off, put the trackbike on. Wrap a chain around the front sprocket and you can all the 12mph you want.

:)

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

Z3n posted:

:fap:

Too bad it's just some dude in a garage bolting together new ones, and not Ducati itself doing the job. Still, hard to argue with 88hp and ~280lbs.

Also, you weren't kidding about the noise. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJXdjA3kWPY&feature=related

Compared to an old bevel drive 750ss
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhRocr-CPdw&feature=related

And on the track:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBV2x5hD57Q&feature=related

Ponies ate my Bagel: I don't know if you posted this in another thread or not, but from what I've seen of your posts, it seems like you're probably not experienced enough to be considering an R6 or an R1. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Simkin fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 9, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Simkin posted:

Too bad it's just some dude in a garage bolting together new ones, and not Ducati itself doing the job. Still, hard to argue with 88hp and ~280lbs.

Also, you weren't kidding about the noise. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJXdjA3kWPY&feature=related

Compared to an old bevel drive 750ss
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhRocr-CPdw&feature=related

And on the track:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBV2x5hD57Q&feature=related

Ponies ate my Bagel: I don't know if you posted this in another thread or not, but from what I've seen of your posts, it seems like you're probably not experienced enough to be considering an R6 or an R1. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Well, when that dude has worked on 1/3rd of the supermonos ever made, as well as being the head mechanic for the AMA supermono team back in the day, plus having a parts account with ducati, it's a duc in all but name.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

True, I just meant it more in the sense that Ducati has way more access to manpower to make this something other than an expensive curiosity. Maybe they could figure out a way to price it competitively with the Monster... :D

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wow, the guy who owned my Bandit before me must have ridden the rear brake for like 10,000 miles or something. The rear brake has always felt like crap on the Bandit. I changed the fluid, but it didnt help.

I finally had the rear wheel off over the weekend during an (unsuccessful) attempt to mount a Hayabusa shock in place of the stock bandit unit, and I found that the rear pads are totally glazed. Like shiny and brittle like glass glazed.

I guess that explains their shittyness.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.

Phat_Albert posted:

Wow, the guy who owned my Bandit before me must have ridden the rear brake for like 10,000 miles or something. The rear brake has always felt like crap on the Bandit. I changed the fluid, but it didnt help.

I finally had the rear wheel off over the weekend during an (unsuccessful) attempt to mount a Hayabusa shock in place of the stock bandit unit, and I found that the rear pads are totally glazed. Like shiny and brittle like glass glazed.

I guess that explains their shittyness.

Hows the disk? any scoring or anything?

What was the trouble with the shock?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Simkin posted:

True, I just meant it more in the sense that Ducati has way more access to manpower to make this something other than an expensive curiosity. Maybe they could figure out a way to price it competitively with the Monster... :D

I think I'd laugh and cry at the same time if the latest hot beginner bike ended up being the Supermono 2.0.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Simkin posted:

I posted in one of the new bike or new rider threads. I've been riding about 14 years combination of street and dirt with the majority of my experience on dirt. I've ridden larger street bikes cruisers as well as supersports for a few years. My learners which I never really had interest in finishing in Georgia didn't transfer out to california. It's not so much the experience as that I'm a little rusty and haven't ridden in about 18 months. I've also never had to own my own bike due to my uncle being a gear head and usually having 4-5 bikes at a time that all seem to change bi-monthly. I am wide open to suggestions though as far as bikes are concerned. I'm basing my opinion on what I've sat on and read online as well as a bit of personal taste.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

fronkpies posted:

Hows the disk? any scoring or anything?

What was the trouble with the shock?

The disk looks ok. I honestly think the PO just lightly rode the brakes for a million miles. The pads are so smoothly glazed that I dont think they could do any damage to the disk.

The shock was unsuccessful because the Busa shock is a bit longer and wider than the stock Bandit shock. What ends up happening is that you have to cut a part of the shock mount out to make it fit. I dont think it would really compromise strength or anything, but I just dont want to be taking a sawzall to my new (to me) bike.

I didnt know you had to do this because the Bandit community is great about just assuming that everyone owns a second-gen Bandit. The shock fits fine into 2nd gens.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

The disk looks ok. I honestly think the PO just lightly rode the brakes for a million miles. The pads are so smoothly glazed that I dont think they could do any damage to the disk.

The shock was unsuccessful because the Busa shock is a bit longer and wider than the stock Bandit shock. What ends up happening is that you have to cut a part of the shock mount out to make it fit. I dont think it would really compromise strength or anything, but I just dont want to be taking a sawzall to my new (to me) bike.

I didnt know you had to do this because the Bandit community is great about just assuming that everyone owns a second-gen Bandit. The shock fits fine into 2nd gens.

What sort of benefits and changes can you expect from that sort of upgrade? Is it a matter of adjustability, or a better ride? Will the bike sit differently? I might pass this info to my buddy, I remember him talking about suspension upgrades for his Bandit a while ago (though I know in advance that his answer will be "too bad I'm broke!")

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
The more I read into this new R1, the more I am thinking I should test one or something before I buy. The R1 forums are all going on about how ridiculously over-powered this thing is. I was reading through the MSF thread and I found a good link which cleared up some confusion for me with the california DMV. I was curious though if I go pick up a learners just for the purpose of test driving and seeing what I think is it going to expire on me within a year or so? I don't want too go get one and then not be able to take the msf or whatnot for awhile and then have my license expire.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The more I read into this new R1, the more I am thinking I should test one or something before I buy. The R1 forums are all going on about how ridiculously over-powered this thing is. I was reading through the MSF thread and I found a good link which cleared up some confusion for me with the california DMV. I was curious though if I go pick up a learners just for the purpose of test driving and seeing what I think is it going to expire on me within a year or so? I don't want too go get one and then not be able to take the msf or whatnot for awhile and then have my license expire.

All SS literbikes are absurdly overpowered.

The learner's permit is really easy to get, just answer 20 pretty common sense questions. It does expire after a year, iirc. Still, you should have plenty of time to get to the MSF in that time, and even if you don't, all you have to do is go take the permit test again if it's lapsed, show your MSF completion, and they'll give you your M endorsement.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

I posted in one of the new bike or new rider threads. I've been riding about 14 years combination of street and dirt with the majority of my experience on dirt.

Alright, I thought I'd seen you post something to that effect, but I just wanted to make sure. Are you dead set on a sportbike? There's plenty of interesting choices that won't cause you to visit a chiropractor after a long trip, and will still have enough power and cornering ability to scare you stupid.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Well good news: the other party's insurance accepted full responsibility and is going to give me a check for $2640 or so, which is way more than what I was hoping for. Plus I get to keep the bike and hawk it for salvage.

I've decided to shove most of it into a six month CD...going to wait for the economy to stop sucking (and maybe until I start making more money) before I pick up another bike.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Simkin posted:

Alright, I thought I'd seen you post something to that effect, but I just wanted to make sure. Are you dead set on a sportbike? There's plenty of interesting choices that won't cause you to visit a chiropractor after a long trip, and will still have enough power and cornering ability to scare you stupid.

Yeah I really do like the sportsbikes. The R1 isnt completely out. However I'm going to be taking a long hard look at it and myself to see if I honestly think I can be that responsible. I am probably going to look at the cbr 600rr and the R6. How are the suzuki's in that power-range? I Honestly haven't looked at either them or the kawasaki's.
I spent alot of time in the hospital due to doing stupid things when I was younger. The past couple years I have kind of calmed down slowed down and begun to take better care of myself. I got married and all that fun stuff so it's no longer all about "me". I like how the R1 looks sounds and feels. I need some time to make sure that if I decide to bite that bullet it wont be the last due to stupidity boiling over. According to insurance companies the average current lifespan of an R1 is around 600 miles before it gets destroyed.
I hate to be the guy that gets something like an R1 and never fully utilizes it's capability. I wouldn't mind being that guy with the ferrari who babies it and loves it and knows all about it but doesn't abuse it and I kind of view this the same way.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yeah I really do like the sportsbikes. The R1 isnt completely out. However I'm going to be taking a long hard look at it and myself to see if I honestly think I can be that responsible. I am probably going to look at the cbr 600rr and the R6. How are the suzuki's in that power-range? I Honestly haven't looked at either them or the kawasaki's.
I spent alot of time in the hospital due to doing stupid things when I was younger. The past couple years I have kind of calmed down slowed down and begun to take better care of myself. I got married and all that fun stuff so it's no longer all about "me". I like how the R1 looks sounds and feels. I need some time to make sure that if I decide to bite that bullet it wont be the last due to stupidity boiling over. According to insurance companies the average current lifespan of an R1 is around 600 miles before it gets destroyed.
I hate to be the guy that gets something like an R1 and never fully utilizes it's capability. I wouldn't mind being that guy with the ferrari who babies it and loves it and knows all about it but doesn't abuse it and I kind of view this the same way.

None of us will ever really utilize the capability of any modern supersport bike...thinking that would be pretty much like buying a top of the line race car and expecting to be able drive it like a race winner.

Buy a supersport because you enjoy riding one, because you love the way it looks, feels, and sounds. Don't even begin to worry about the performance of it, the numbers you get in the mags aren't going to make a bit of difference to how cloes you will be able to come to exploiting the capabilities of the bike.

The best thing you could do if you want a supersport is go to a dealership and sit on as many as you can and figure out which one fits you the best. Performance doesn't even really enter into it.

If you are insistant on a supersport, I highly recommend a 750 I4 of any sort (Suzuki GSX-R, MV Agusta 750 come to mind), or a 1000cc Vtwin. More manageable and fun on the street.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

redscare posted:

Well good news: the other party's insurance accepted full responsibility and is going to give me a check for $2640 or so, which is way more than what I was hoping for. Plus I get to keep the bike and hawk it for salvage.

I've decided to shove most of it into a six month CD...going to wait for the economy to stop sucking (and maybe until I start making more money) before I pick up another bike.

On the other hand, with the economy sucking, people might be dumping their bikes in desperation.

Valfar
Nov 12, 2004

Born to lose, live to win.
Yay, instead of a billion parts I have a complete bike again!

Took it out for a small spin, and oh dear god does it feel great to ride again (almost six months since the last time)! It appears it's still a little light in the front end, but hey, what are you gonna do :D

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

From the Kneeslider:

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2007/02/05/r-bike-shape-shifting-motorcycle/

Oh man, I'd forgotten about this guy. He actually showed up on another forum of mine a few years back and got into an epic argument about motorcycle design, the feasibility of a bike that shifts shape on the fly...it's hilarious.

I'd love to think that there's innovation here, but it's just the deluded ramblings of someone who doesn't know how to ride (or design) a motorcycle.

My favorite quote from the maker:

quote:

The spring is also progressive, so I wouldn’t worry about mashing the tailpipe :>)

:laffo:

Also, what designer/inventor has hours to type up oddly formatted posts on untraveled sites?

On the flip side, because I wasn't a complete dick, he offered me a test ride on it when they got a prototype built, 2 years ago. If it ever makes it to production, I'm going to go take him up on that. :v:

Oh god, I forgot another great one:

quote:

On your comment on OCC .... they are cake decorators, I understand.
I was on the phone with Paul Sr. last week and told him exactly that.
They are a means of having people all over the planet see the bike come together.
They are not engineers.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 10, 2009

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Z3n posted:

From the Kneeslider:

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2007/02/05/r-bike-shape-shifting-motorcycle/

Oh man, I'd forgotten about this guy. He actually showed up on another forum of mine a few years back and got into an epic argument about motorcycle design, the feasibility of a bike that shifts shape on the fly...it's hilarious.

I'd love to think that there's innovation here, but it's just the deluded ramblings of someone who doesn't know how to ride (or design) a motorcycle.

My favorite quote from the maker:

:laffo:

Also, what designer/inventor has hours to type up oddly formatted posts on untraveled sites?

On the flip side, because I wasn't a complete dick, he offered me a test ride on it when they got a prototype built, 2 years ago. If it ever makes it to production, I'm going to go take him up on that. :v:

Oh god, I forgot another great one:

I mean the idea is pretty sound, and definitely in the realm of possibility. The problem is that it's designed by a lunatic. Modular suspensions have been tried to various degrees on a bunch of vehicles, sometimes even making it to production. The issue is there is no realistic set up that's a magic bullet for every situation a machine is likely to encounter. You can reliably and effectively change one aspect of a vehicles suspension on the fly (look at the ground clearance settings on a Toureg for example), but once you start screwing with multiple variables you're going to run into all sorts of problems. Not to mention the added mechanical complexity that brings, which means more parts to fail and more weight on the vehicle, and you're asking for problems.

Look at the first few years of the 3000 GT VR-4. Those had variable suspension, steering, timing, exhaust, aero, ect. And were overweight piles of failed systems for it.

I could maybe see someone like Honda pulling this off, like a CBR1000 that could slightly adjust the front end out to be more stable at speed and bring it in for sportier handling (think of going from typical front end geometry of a super sport to the front end geometry of a hyper tourer). But the dramatic changes he's looking to get out this bike just aren't going to happen like he thinks they are.

And that's before we get into the idea of 1000cc thumpers... with an optional HEMI head.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Bikes have variable wheelbases, and changing CG's already. when forks compress the wheelbase shortens, and you lose trail. That makes the bike more responsive. It also lowers the CG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Nerobro posted:

Bikes have variable wheelbases, and changing CG's already. when forks compress the wheelbase shortens, and you lose trail. That makes the bike more responsive. It also lowers the CG.

But are there any current designs that change the angle of the steering head in relation to the frame/road? Because that was more what I was talking about, where the actual angle of the forks to the rest of the bike would change.

Also how much does the wheelbase change when the forks compress? It can't be more then an inch or so can it?