Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Policenaut posted:

Well, my issue is that I'm going for Platinum and I'm sort of required to get all the rings/weapons/magics/miracles to do so. It's very amusing, I need 2 weapons, 1 ring, 1 miracle, and 7 magic spells to get all those Gold Trophies. It's just infuriating, they should have balanced Soul rewards better.

Trophies are across all characters. You could just make another character and get the other rewards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Okay, regarding light armor: I finally got world 3 to pure white with my second character (female, strength/faith focus) and I am in love with the rogue's set. It's only a tiny bit heavier than black leather, it trades 47 poison resist for 6 magic defense, and it looks awesome. Female only, of course, because they get all the nice things in this game.

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.
Male characters kind of get the shaft when it comes to gender limited items, the female only ones seem to be a much better choice. The Silver Bracelet in particular.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

How useful are the special arrows? In particular fire arrows and toad-eye arrows.

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.

Irony.or.Death posted:

Okay, regarding light armor: I finally got world 3 to pure white with my second character (female, strength/faith focus) and I am in love with the rogue's set. It's only a tiny bit heavier than black leather, it trades 47 poison resist for 6 magic defense, and it looks awesome. Female only, of course, because they get all the nice things in this game.

Did you find any good way to get tendency there to pure white? I've beaten everything except 1-4 and I'm trying to decide between starting over so I can get pure white in worlds 1 and 3 to get the neat items in them, or if I should just go new game+ even though with the harsh difficulty jump I may not be able to manage pure white anywhere.

It's rather annoying that all of the good light female armor requires pure white tendency.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
Jeeeesus, New Game + is kicking my rear end so hard. Everything deals so much damage now and, even if I do block, it's easy to die. Just like the beginning all over again!

Can't even beat Tower Knight again, one attack means that I die. Horribly.

Gay Rumsfeld
Nov 12, 2006
Quick question: My buddy is looking at picking this up (I've already ordered, but my copy hasn't arrived yet). For the co-op feature, can we specifically choose to play together with each other, or is it random who you end up playing with?

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
Just coordinate with your mate to drop a blueeye stone (or you) in a specific place. Then go to that and check to make sure its him and then summon him :)

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Oae Ui posted:

Did you find any good way to get tendency there to pure white?

Good is a strong word; I just used the same strategy I use everywhere; clear until I have access to the primeval demon, quit the game to reset to neutral (unless I'm already leaning towards dark) then take out the npc black phantom and primeval demon in one run, and use an ephemral eye stone right before I land the killing blow on a boss.

Of course this doesn't work in world 1 since I need Miralda alive when I hit pure white, but it's a solid plan everywhere else. One thing to keep in mind with world three is that you can guarantee yourself an easy boss kill; clear up to the old monk and wait outside his room until the summoned player gets bored and quits out, then enter. Old monk as played by the AI is the least threatening boss in the game.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Wow, the white bow is crazy strong. It doesn't look it on the item screen, but it upped my damage vs the reaper by about 50% My longbow +5 was doing 81 a shot and the white bow does 125ish to the reaper and the glowy guys on the top floor there.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
I just ordered a copy of Demons Souls. I don't have a PS3, but I'll fix that problem soon. Finally a console game I'm excited about. I thought for sure squaresoft would be releasing repetitive RPG's for all of eternity and we'd never see anything new.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Sunday Punch posted:

Male characters kind of get the shaft when it comes to gender limited items, the female only ones seem to be a much better choice. The Silver Bracelet in particular.

Some of the female specific armor looks like poo poo. Stat-wise, though, it's pretty decent stuff.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Irony.or.Death posted:

Good is a strong word; I just used the same strategy I use everywhere; clear until I have access to the primeval demon, quit the game to reset to neutral (unless I'm already leaning towards dark) then take out the npc black phantom and primeval demon in one run, and use an ephemral eye stone right before I land the killing blow on a boss.
Er, wait. So you clear to primeval, quit, which resets to neutral, then you start back up and you'd be neutral - and so wouldn't the primeval and NPC phantom be gone since you're not at black anymore?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
I just bought this today, but now I have to wait a month for it to be delivered from YesAsia. I can't wait that long!! :cry:

wurzle
Apr 8, 2009
I bought a copy of this on Ebay from a Korean dude and it arrived via USPS in 96 hours with the "medium" shipping options.

Those of you waiting a month for delivery from an importer may want to check that out instead.

Here is the Ebay link... http://cgi.ebay.com/PS3-Demons-soul...C293:1%7C294:50

wurzle fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 8, 2009

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Shalinor posted:

Er, wait. So you clear to primeval, quit, which resets to neutral, then you start back up and you'd be neutral - and so wouldn't the primeval and NPC phantom be gone since you're not at black anymore?

I'm not in black while clearing; I mean taking out bosses that block access to the primeval. You can't reach the world 3 primeval, for instance, until after you've killed the fool's idol. That part isn't necessary, it just helps accomodate scattered play sessions and mitigate the risk of dying while in your body; if you really wanted to you could just take a world to pure black right away, then play it through without returning to the nexus until you've taken out primeval, phantom, and however many bosses were in your way.

Edit: I am apparently tired and this probably still wasn't clear, so I will try throwing more words at the problem. I quit to reset world tendency because killing whichever bosses are before the primeval demon raises my world tendency, which would mean blowing more ephemeral eye stones than necessary to take it to pure black. If you don't visit the nexus as often as I do this probably isn't so much of a concern.

Irony.or.Death fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 8, 2009

Dominic Bones
Jan 27, 2009

Irony.or.Death posted:

Of course this doesn't work in world 1 since I need Miralda when I hit pure white, but it's a solid plan everywhere else. One thing to keep in mind with world three is that you can guarantee yourself an easy boss kill; clear up to the old monk and wait outside his room until the summoned player gets bored and quits out, then enter. Old monk as played by the AI is the least threatening boss in the game.

Actually, you can kill the Black Phantom version of an NPC, and the normal version will still appear. I've personally done this with Miralda, so it's still an option in world 1.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I could have sworn I saw someone say that doesn't work with Miralda; thanks.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Irony.or.Death posted:

I could have sworn I saw someone say that doesn't work with Miralda; thanks.

Yeah, that was my mistake. I apparently didn't have World 1 to COMPLETE white. It sure as hell looked it and the gem was glowing and whatnot, but it still wasn't white. The gate was already open because I had already beaten Miralda on Black, so I had no way of actually gauging it, and figured they don't respawn and you have to pick one or the other.

exit mouse
Apr 7, 2009
I just got this game and it is ridiculously harsh. I'm consulting the gently caress out of the wiki but over all it really is fun, if a bit punishing. Just like King's Field :unsmith:

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
I'm guessing its better to not wear armor since most things kill you in one hit anyways. So I plan on rolling a Barbarian and picking up Archery as a healthy passtime like I did in Kings Field II.

I remember in Kings Field II, the best tactic was to memorize the enemy's attack patterns and stay far enough away until the right moment to move forward and strike. I also remember dropping Archery once my magic spells became strong enough to replace it, until I was left with the standard Bethesda RPG Melee/Mage combo that tears anything up.

There used to be one spell that shot a white crystal dragon that flew through several monsters, turning to seek them out. I remember that being one of the best spells in the game.

One thing I'm a bit curious at, is how frustrating the difficulty is in Demons Souls. Is it Ninja Gaiden hard? Kings Field was always hard and frustrating because of how slow you move and the clumsy controls. Otherwise it probably would have been a much easier game.

CountingWizard fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Apr 9, 2009

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

sclark13 posted:

I'm guessing its better to not wear armor since most things kill you in one hit anyways.

No, it makes a difference. Even if you're getting hit brutally hard, there's a difference between dying and surviving with 1% health.

JGTheSpy
Jul 31, 2002
Excuse me, but if I could have a moment of your time, I'd like to explain why you're not actually enjoying that game that you're enjoying. You see, I am in fact an expert. At games. I know, it's impressive.
Surviving with 1% health seems to happen a lot too.

This game got exponentially more fun once I picked up some spells. I mostly only use Heal and Soul Arrow but that's enough. I'll probably expand a bit more once I finish upping my strength and dexterity for weapon requirements.

I change up my tactics so much that I hate the idea of specializing. The only thing I don't do is the armored tank thing since rolling around with a big heavy weapon is much more fun to me.

Best 70 console dollars I've spent since this generation started. I'm glad I bothered to read this thread because I kept brushing all the Demon's Souls talk off in the PS3 Games thread wondering why anyone actually cared.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
drat NCSX just sent an email my way, telling me that because of Easter it will be until at least the 14th before they get any news on shipments.

Why does Jesus always have to ruin everything.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
I have a question regarding the end of the game.

Can you still raise stats when the maiden is standing in front of the Old One, or will talking to her trigger the end of the normal game? I ask because Allant took away one point of spirit, which I need to properly wield my Blueblood Sword, and there is still a lot I need to do regarding black world / character tendency.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Hamburger Test posted:

Can you still raise stats when the maiden is standing in front of the Old One, or will talking to her trigger the end of the normal game? I ask because Allant took away one point of spirit, which I need to properly wield my Blueblood Sword, and there is still a lot I need to do regarding black world / character tendency.

No.

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.
backpage

havent heard a peep fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 21, 2011

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

liquidfire posted:

If I take a trip to Japan will I be able to find this game on insert game store shelves?

I don't know if this was a serious question, but anyway I doubt you'd find anything but the Japanese-language version

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.
backpage

havent heard a peep fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 21, 2011

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I just beat 2-3 but there's an item there that I can't seem to reach. It's to the left of the entrance, behind the rubble that the first crystal gecko runs to.

e: Just had to reload the area after the dragon kill. Must not have had enough tendency at first. Not a bad weapon, though my Meat Cleaver kicks the crap out of it.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 9, 2009

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

dis astranagant posted:

I just beat 2-3 but there's an item there that I can't seem to reach. It's to the left of the entrance, behind the rubble that the first crystal gecko runs to.

e: Just had to reload the area after the dragon kill. Must not have had enough tendency at first. Not a bad weapon, though my Meat Cleaver kicks the crap out of it.

You underestimate how awesome it is to hit someone with the Keel Smasher and always be guaranteed that they're sent flying. PvP in 3-2 becomes the most fun thing ever as a result. Besides, the Meat Cleaver requires faith, and magic is for wimps (I'm currently doing a barb runthrough with no magic at all, and it's pretty awesome to be sporting the Keel Smasher 1-handed while wearing Brushwood Armor as you 2-hit kill bosses).

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Brackhar posted:

You underestimate how awesome it is to hit someone with the Keel Smasher and always be guaranteed that they're sent flying. PvP in 3-2 becomes the most fun thing ever as a result. Besides, the Meat Cleaver requires faith, and magic is for wimps (I'm currently doing a barb runthrough with no magic at all, and it's pretty awesome to be sporting the Keel Smasher 1-handed while wearing Brushwood Armor as you 2-hit kill bosses).

Magic may be for wimps, but Evacuate is the greatest thing ever. Makes farming 4-2 amazing. I haven't actually tried hitting anything with Keel Smasher yet, but one shotting most everything with the cleaver is amazing. Even bearbugs die in just a couple swings at most.

Squint
Jul 14, 2007

Extremely Not Bad

sclark13 posted:

One thing I'm a bit curious at, is how frustrating the difficulty is in Demons Souls. Is it Ninja Gaiden hard? Kings Field was always hard and frustrating because of how slow you move and the clumsy controls. Otherwise it probably would have been a much easier game.

It's difficult, but it's a fair difficult, not a fighting-the-controls difficult or clear-this-bullshit-minigame-to-advance difficult. If you go slow and pay attention, you'll live much longer than if you treat it like a mindless hack-n-slash action RPG. You never really turn into a huge unkillable badass in this game, no matter how much you level up, so if you keep your sense of your own mortality close, it'll serve you well.

I think that's what I like about this game. You can't really cover up bad strategy or low skill with levels, because you'll still get killed. It isn't a case of "attempt this boss only after you reach level x" but more a case of "watch the boss's attacks for a while and give it a good try, then try again seriously after I die." In Demon's Souls, player experience > character experience.

Hamburger Test posted:

To elaborate on the answer, killing the 1-4 boss is the point of no return as far as buying stat points with souls. However, you can still visit any of the five worlds and do farming/tendency stuff for as long as you like. As soon as you talk to the maiden in black, however, you're in the final sequence of that playthrough.

Squint fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 9, 2009

Dominic Bones
Jan 27, 2009

Squint posted:

It's difficult, but it's a fair difficult, not a fighting-the-controls difficult or clear-this-bullshit-minigame-to-advance difficult. If you go slow and pay attention, you'll live much longer than if you treat it like a mindless hack-n-slash action RPG. You never really turn into a huge unkillable badass in this game, no matter how much you level up, so if you keep your sense of mortality close, it'll serve you well.

To elaborate on the answer, killing the 1-4 boss is the point of no return as far as buying stat points with souls. However, you can still visit any of the five worlds and do farming/tendency stuff for as long as you like. As soon as you talk to the maiden in black, however, you're in the final sequence of that playthrough.

Not exactly, as in the final area there IS an Archstone to go back to the Nexus, and another Archstone appears in the nexus leading back. But yeah, if you've reached that point of the game, no more raising stats.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'd contest the control stuff to an extent. They work, but I will stand by my opinion that the lock-on system is horrible. Nothing's more loving frustrating than to try to lock on to something only to lock on to something else way behind it or elsewhere. Or figuring out which direction the camera has to be in order to get a lock on.

It's very sporadic. In 5-1, you run up the stairs, past the trap in the first keep thing and the archer that shoots at you when you take that pathway down. If you try to lock on to that archer and there's a manta around on your screen, you will lock on to that instead. Yet, I cannot lock on to that black skeleton past the secret passage in 5-2 from the same distance and my camera is pointing right at him.

I also think the camera is a bit crap at times too. Lock on to the Flamelurker and dodging around him. Get to close to the sides and those bones and pillars will block your view half the time. I really wish they'd hollow out (you know, like in every other game) if you step in front of them.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
As two questions I've been wondering:

1) What happens if you attack the Maiden in Black in the nexus?

2) Can you defeat the false king before clearing all of the other worlds? If so, how does the ending work out?

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

Jimbot posted:

I'd contest the control stuff to an extent. They work, but I will stand by my opinion that the lock-on system is horrible. Nothing's more loving frustrating than to try to lock on to something only to lock on to something else way behind it or elsewhere. Or figuring out which direction the camera has to be in order to get a lock on.

It's very sporadic. In 5-1, you run up the stairs, past the trap in the first keep thing and the archer that shoots at you when you take that pathway down. If you try to lock on to that archer and there's a manta around on your screen, you will lock on to that instead. Yet, I cannot lock on to that black skeleton past the secret passage in 5-2 from the same distance and my camera is pointing right at him.

I also think the camera is a bit crap at times too. Lock on to the Flamelurker and dodging around him. Get to close to the sides and those bones and pillars will block your view half the time. I really wish they'd hollow out (you know, like in every other game) if you step in front of them.

The lock on system is far from perfect, I agree. It's range seems to change based on the size of the enemy, and randomly locking onto a giant ray flying behind you is annoying. I think this becomes an even larger issue if you're not using the thief ring. With the thief ring, your lock on range and an enemy's aggro range are pretty much the same. It's sort of odd, because it seems like a bit of a gaff, but the thief ring (have I said that enough?) is so goddamn useful that I rarely don't use it. The lock on never annoys me during boss fights and I can get close enough to normal enemies with the thief ring that it isn't a problem. It's circumventing the problem, but it gives you other advantages as well. It's just weird.

As far as the camera, yeah, it has its moments. It has its moments in pretty much any game, so I'm willing to deal with getting mad at it occasionally.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

Brackhar posted:

As two questions I've been wondering:

1) What happens if you attack the Maiden in Black in the nexus?

I accidentally whacked her once and she was just like "hey stop that". I only hit her once or twice though.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Brackhar posted:

2) Can you defeat the false king before clearing all of the other worlds? If so, how does the ending work out?

Pretty sure there's a constant unenterable fog at his front door until every other world is cleared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

I have a question about Magic. I've got a Wanderer at about level 40 or something now I think, and have only cleared 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 3-1 and 4-1. I have enough magic stat (10) to have up to 1 spell, but I have no idea where i'm meant to learn them. I know that the witch teaches you some but according to the wiki she teaches "Higher level" magic, so i'm assuming there's some basic stuff I could pick up somewhere? I've gone without for the whole game so far and it's not too bad but every time I consult the wiki it's always "Use X magic and it's easy" to kill every boss.

Flamelurker keeps raping me :(

• Locked thread