Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
Felicia Day just twittered her episode on Dollhouse isn't going to air, DVD only, so it sounds like the show has been axed unless the season was just cut short...but it wouldn't make sense to have episodes already filmed not air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
Here's an article that explains the Dollhouse "finale" situation better

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_with_kristin/b117929_dollhouse_heres_deal_on_season_finale.html

Tim Minear posted:

"Because we scrapped the original pilot—and in fact cannibalized some of its parts for other eps—we really ended up with 12 episodes. But the studio makes DVD and other deals based on the original 13 number. So we created a stand-alone kind of coda episode. Which is the mythical new episode 13. The network had already paid for 13 episodes, and this included the one they agreed to let us scrap for parts. It does not include the one we made to bring the number back up to 13 for the studio side and its obligations. We always knew it would be for the DVD for sure, but we also think Fox should air it because it's awesome."

So the bottom line is that the scrapped pilot for Dollhouse still is considered as one of the thirteen episodes that Fox ordered, leaving the technically fourteenth episode out.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Hahaha. Everything about this show is a horrible fuckup.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

tastethehappy posted:

I'm just happy I got the name right :)

(I've never seen anything Firefly :()
Hulu.com

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Hahaha. Everything about this show is a horrible fuckup.

Yeah.. I've been keeping up with it, but it's really, really bad.

It's a shame it's going to take Terminator with it when it goes.

S11001001
Jun 21, 2004

the sexiest thing is trust

El Grillo posted:

Should've mentioned that I watched Serenity first :)

No, the other Serenity. :colbert:

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

S11001001 posted:

No, the other Serenity. :colbert:

I have seen all of it damnit aaaaaaaaaaaaaa
I think I'm going to go start a campaign to buy the rights for the TV series off Fox see you later.

In relevancy - is Dolhouse worth me finding on the net and watching?

MeatBomb
Jul 5, 2007

El Grillo posted:

No, but ask again next season. The show's got potential, but it sure was a crap start. Ya watch it now, you'll just be disappointed. Whedon cast the lead role with someone who can't loving act, but needs to play a different role each episode. I hope he kills Echo off next season.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

MeatBomb posted:

No, but ask again next season. The show's got potential, but it sure was a crap start. Ya watch it now, you'll just be disappointed. Whedon cast the lead role with someone who can't loving act, but needs to play a different role each episode. I hope he kills Echo off next season.

Well, he has to kill some woman, soooo

Dark Chicken
Dec 15, 2002

MeatBomb posted:

Whedon cast the lead role with someone who can't loving act

Isn't it the other way around? Eliza Dushku got him involved.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dark Chicken posted:

Isn't it the other way around? Eliza Dushku got him involved.

Correct. Whedon had almost no chance in hell of ever getting a netork show on his own again. If not for Dushku;s preexisting deal with Fox this would never of happened.

And maybe it shouldn't have.

scarycactusjunior
Mar 17, 2008

by angerbot

Rhyno posted:

Whedon had almost no chance in hell of ever getting a netork show on his own again.

Why is that?

ngeunit1
Apr 9, 2008

Nerd Herd
I figured that this is the Joss thread so this would be the best place to throw this in...

This is obviously not confirmation of a second Dr. Horrible adventure, but on a TV Squad interview Nathan Fillion said this about it:

quote:

We were talking about doing a sequel to Dr. Horrible on our second-- on our first day, actually, of filming Dr. Horrible. But last I spoke with Joss Whedon, he's actually come up with a title for the second installment, so I'm sure we're going to see something, another phase in the Dr. Horrible lifespan.

http://www.tvsquad.com/2009/04/09/nathan-fillion-the-tv-squad-interview/

I know its not exactly the most reliable source for information, but at least its something saying that Dr. Horrible is not done and forgotten.

S11001001
Jun 21, 2004

El Grillo posted:

Lacking a better way to explain, I will say I would take Dollhouse season 1 over Buffy season 1 or Angel season 1. And I love those other shows' later seasons.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

S11001001 posted:

Lacking a better way to explain, I will say I would take Dollhouse season 1 over Buffy season 1 or Angel season 1. And I love those other shows' later seasons.

I'm not sure how to take that, cause I personally enjoyed some of Buffy season one (okay maybe not the giant praying mantis or the robot demon) and I really liked Angel season one, especially the Doyle arc and the Faith two parter.

But I've heard from many sources that Dollhouse is pretty much crap. Either because Dushku is a problem or the story was initially wicked stupid.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

I started watching Buffy last night. Watched the first two episodes; it's cheesy, but kind of fun. Or maybe I just enjoy cheesy. SMG looks kind of cute with the baby fat thing going on...

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Minimaul posted:

I started watching Buffy last night. Watched the first two episodes; it's cheesy, but kind of fun. Or maybe I just enjoy cheesy. SMG looks kind of cute with the baby fat thing going on...

you should do me a favor and start posting in here a lot during your watching of season 3 because I would enjoy hearing a first impression of my favorite season again.

When I watched it for the first time it was awesome, and I hope you feel the same.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

cool. I'll see what I can do. I usually try to stay out of here or, at the very least skim and ignore any posts that may contain Buffy spoilers. There's been some things that I was spoiled about but since I've been pretty indifferent to them if I ignore the spoilers I'll eventually forget any minor spoilers.

S11001001
Jun 21, 2004

Gordon Shumway posted:

I'm not sure how to take that, cause I personally enjoyed some of Buffy season one (okay maybe not the giant praying mantis or the robot demon) and I really liked Angel season one, especially the Doyle arc and the Faith two parter.

Well, there are plenty of things to like about Angel season 1. Like in 1x04 "I Fall to Pieces", where the debate over billing the helpless for helping them was much more nuanced emotionally:

Doyle posted:

It isn't [about money]. No, it's about doing what's best for the people you've helped. People get attached to a mysterious savior, and can you blame them? But as long as you're just a man who's doing a job, and getting paid, they can feel like they've paid their debt to you and they can move on — independent like.

than the similar, lamer one with a much different resolution in Buffy 6x04 "Flooded" (recall how everyone thought Anya was monstrous for merely suggesting it). Though, to be fair, the latter scene was packed with Xander and Anya subtext that the former didn't have to carry.

On the other hand, there are plenty of things to dislike about Angel season 1. Like 1x04 "I Fall to Pieces" as a whole.

tastethehappy
Sep 11, 2008

What part of highly classified do you not understand?

Gordon Shumway posted:

But I've heard from many sources that Dollhouse is pretty much crap. Either because Dushku is a problem or the story was initially wicked stupid.
It started off pretty bad, but once the mythical episode 6, Man On The Street, aired it's actually been pretty good.

Eliza really does bring down some of her scenes, there's no arguing that. But I don't think she's as bad as everyone thinks. Definitely not good, but not horrible.

If you can get past her performance, it's definitely worth checking out. It's got a good idea, they've touched on some really interesting topics (but failed to explore them so far, unfortunately), and the "secondary" characters are, overall, pretty good. Victor, Boyd, and DeWitt in particular.

Plus, who can say no to Amy Acker :3:

LazyDivey
Jun 18, 2004

Orange crush momma is a laugh laugh laugh.

Sarah Michelle Gellar is reportedly in talks to reprise her role as Buffy on the big screen.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/13808/gellar-considering-a-buffy-movie-/

Here's hoping...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

scarycactusjunior posted:

Why is that?

Because it took Dushku's contract to get him there? His "real" network show have been less then successful and I don't see him getting a break on ABC CBS or NBC.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Because it took Dushku's contract to get him there? His "real" network show have been less then successful and I don't see him getting a break on ABC CBS or NBC.
He could always hit up MyNet or CW, though. CW especially seems right up his alley.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

LividLiquid posted:

He could always hit up MyNet or CW, though. CW especially seems right up his alley.

I'd like to see him get a shot at less censorship. Like FX, Showtime or HBO.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I just started rewatching Firefly on bluray, and I noticed something funny in the first episode:

You'd think they'd at least give him a prop to hold or something. :lol:

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Trophy Boner posted:

I just started rewatching Firefly on bluray, and I noticed something funny in the first episode:

You'd think they'd at least give him a prop to hold or something. :lol:

Hah, yeah, Joss mentions that in the commentary. I never noticed it till I heard him talking about it. You can see it even on the regular dvds.

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

LazyDivey posted:

Sarah Michelle Gellar is reportedly in talks to reprise her role as Buffy on the big screen.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/13808/gellar-considering-a-buffy-movie-/

Here's hoping...

This would be cool, since Gellar hasn't really been in any decent movies lately. I'd wonder if they'd follow the Season 8 comics storyline, though.

Gay Satan
Jan 29, 2009
:iamafag::buddy::monar::razz:
HAIL GAY SATAN.
PUMPY GAY SATAN.
BYOB GAY SATAN

:iamafag::buddy::monar::razz:
I hate how people always blast Angel Season 4 and suck the dick of season 5. Season 4 pretty much kept my attention throughout while the first half of season 5 (up to about episode 15, really) was crap. Luchadores? Gunn pissing everywhere? Lorne-hulk? What the gently caress?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Gay Satan posted:

Luchadores?

Yes, but that episode also gave us El Diablo Robotico.

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!

Gay Satan posted:

I hate how people always blast Angel Season 4 and suck the dick of season 5. Season 4 pretty much kept my attention throughout while the first half of season 5 (up to about episode 15, really) was crap. Luchadores? Gunn pissing everywhere? Lorne-hulk? What the gently caress?

I didn't like Season 4 because I could not stand the Angel/Cordelia relationship at all. It always just felt wrong to me.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

Gay Satan posted:

Luchadores?

"The Cautionary Tale of Numero Cinco" was an amazing episode that deserves no such slander. :colbert:

The Lorne Hulk was crap, though. It wasn't the worst episode of season five, because it didn't take place on a stupid loving submarine, but it was close.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

A Big Dark Yak posted:

"The Cautionary Tale of Numero Cinco" was an amazing episode that deserves no such slander. :colbert:

The Lorne Hulk was crap, though. It wasn't the worst episode of season five, because it didn't take place on a stupid loving submarine, but it was close.

Spike's not a Nazi, he just likes the coat.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978

404GoonNotFound posted:

And the scene (which I often site when I'm espousing my love for this episode) where the four brothers come out of the grave, run by Angel who is standing there with a :wtc: look on his face, run and grab stakes off the iron fence, run by again, Angel still being all :wtc: before they call him into battle. It's loving brilliant.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

El Grillo posted:

Do yourself a favour and skip every episode except the one from last night, episode nine.

I'm not even being jokingly hyperbolic. There is nothing whatsoever in the preceeding episodes important enough to make it worth enduring five hours of that horror.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Braki posted:

I didn't like Season 4 because I could not stand the Angel/Cordelia relationship at all. It always just felt wrong to me.

I'll assume you mean Connor/Cordelia, and I think that relationship is one of the creepiest in TV history -- fitting for a horror show.

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

404GoonNotFound posted:

Anyone have the youtube link to that scene with Wesley from that episode? That's one of my favorite bits of dialouge in the series and I can't find it.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

A Big Dark Yak posted:

Aww I liked "Life of the Party." I thought it was hilarious. Especially any part with drunk Wesley and Fred and the scene in Angel's office where they catch him with Eve.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Life of the Party is fantastic. "You walk alone! YOU WALK ALOOONNEE!!!!!"

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

I wish Life of the Party was more of a musical episode. No character in all of Buffyverse was more suited for a musical episode than Lorne. The teaser at the beginning with him singing had me all jazzed and then I was just disappointed that the rest of the episode was about some boring Halloween party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

rejutka posted:

Life of the Party is fantastic. "You walk alone! YOU WALK ALOOONNEE!!!!!"

Alexis Denisof's delivery on those drunk lines is awesome.

I especially like this exchange:
Fred: "That's weird."
Wesley: "Yes, I think so. I think that's weird."

And also: "And Eve too, pre...presumally."

• Locked thread