Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

The Raglay posted:

Running the last reaper and three black skeletons (pure black) at the end of 4-2 is the fastest way, but you'll need soul sucker. The first reaper is best until then.

4-3 on pure black with the Stormbringer is the fastest, hands down. They die in one swing, it's nigh impossible to die, a run takes about 30-60 seconds if you're good, and with both the ring and the bracelet on black tendency you're netting 40k/run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

Fuzz posted:

4-3 on pure black with the Stormbringer is the fastest, hands down. They die in one swing, it's nigh impossible to die, a run takes about 30-60 seconds if you're good, and with both the ring and the bracelet on black tendency you're netting 40k/run.

I make somewhere in the neighborhood of 140-150k a run doing the the end of 4-2 backwards. Which is more efficient? I don't know. It feels like 4-2 is. If you don't have soul sucker I still feel the first reaper is faster, but it doesn't hurt to mix it up just to keep from getting too bored.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

The Raglay posted:

I make somewhere in the neighborhood of 140-150k a run doing the the end of 4-2 backwards. Which is more efficient? I don't know. It feels like 4-2 is. If you don't have soul sucker I still feel the first reaper is faster, but it doesn't hurt to mix it up just to keep from getting too bored.

Is that on a regular game or NG+? I don't know the numbers for NG+, I was talking about a first run game. Those numbers seem pretty ridiculous if they're regular and not NG+, though.

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

Fuzz posted:

Is that on a regular game or NG+? I don't know the numbers for NG+, I was talking about a first run game. Those numbers seem pretty ridiculous if they're regular and not NG+, though.

NG+. I'd imagine you get between 70-80k in 4-3 in NG+? Rays are worth about 5k at pure black, but I don't remember how many of them there are. Besides, I can't kill a ray with one stormbringer shot and have to use soul light, which I just find annoying.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I gave up Ray farming for anything but cloudstone chunks in NG+ pretty fast - sure, you can pull about 40-50K a run there, but with the damage you take it's very easy to get overwhelmed and die quickly, even if you're one-shotting them with Soul Light (for me, Stormbringer was not a one-shot kill on the rays, and the windup leaves you really open to get blasted).

If you don't mind keeping it at pure black then reverse 4-2 runs to take out the last reaper and three BP skeletons are the way to go.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Tortolia posted:

I gave up Ray farming for anything but cloudstone chunks in NG+ pretty fast - sure, you can pull about 40-50K a run there, but with the damage you take it's very easy to get overwhelmed and die quickly, even if you're one-shotting them with Soul Light (for me, Stormbringer was not a one-shot kill on the rays, and the windup leaves you really open to get blasted).

If you don't mind keeping it at pure black then reverse 4-2 runs to take out the last reaper and three BP skeletons are the way to go.

Stormbringer's attack on 4-3 doesn't scale up with the tougher enemies in NG+, does it? That makes the 4-3 boss a pain, I bet.

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

McCoy Pauley posted:

Stormbringer's attack on 4-3 doesn't scale up with the tougher enemies in NG+, does it? That makes the 4-3 boss a pain, I bet.

First time I fought Stormbringer, he didn't come down until I cleared all the rays. In NG+, he came down while there were still a lot of rays floating about. That made it a pain.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

McCoy Pauley posted:

EDIT: Speaking of Black Phantom Scirvir, anyone have any tips for cheesing him, since I don't currently have Anti-Magic, and I understand his fireball spell is deadly?

Circle strafe until he runs out of mana and then hit him in the face until he falls over. Safe and easy. Kicking him off the cliff would be faster and more entertaining if you feel like taking on a little more risk, though.

Evil Con Carne
Nov 30, 2004
Joo go back to burger king where you came from

What level can i use this Mausoleum key at?

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
So I'm minding my own business in 1-4 and forgot that I'm in my body, when I get invaded.

I think there is something funny, because the BP is almost dead and he just entered the level. I'm at full health and he's dual weilding, so I rush in for the quick kill. Thanks to the wonders of the netcode I swing, and then fall over dead. The jerk took me down from 800 health in one swing.

I then realize he's probably rocking the foe ring, Clever Rat Ring, Morian Blade, and Cursed weapon in addition to his big gently caress-off sword. This is goddamn brilliant, and I immediately steal his bit and proceed to murder half of Bolteria.

People just run straight at you, sword swinging, when they think you're that close to death. I switched in Re-raise, just for a bit of a safety net, and I was still cleaning house. I heartily recommend everyone try it at least once.

Also, do other people find lots of blue soul marks while they're in body form? I barely ever see any, but I get invaded all the time.

Edit: You can use the Mausoleum Key in 1-1, behind the red eye knight. Old King Doran is there, if you smack him around a little bit you can take the demonbrand sword, and if you kill him you get the best male-only light armor and a stamina regen ring

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

Is it normal for the messages that you write on the ground to disappear after a period of time? I wrote a couple almost a week ago (like on 1-2, mentioning a safe place from the dragon's fire), and then when I went back a couple days ago, they were gone. I guess it makes sense, otherwise the worlds would be cluttered with messages. But does it make a difference if they're higher-ranked? Like maybe they stay longer?

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Nick Biped posted:

Is it normal for the messages that you write on the ground to disappear after a period of time? I wrote a couple almost a week ago (like on 1-2, mentioning a safe place from the dragon's fire), and then when I went back a couple days ago, they were gone. I guess it makes sense, otherwise the worlds would be cluttered with messages. But does it make a difference if they're higher-ranked? Like maybe they stay longer?

I think the more ratings a message gets, the longer it persists. There's also just some general world splitting, so you don't see all messages dropped by all players; just a portion at any given time.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
So I got rocked by some jerk. I'm just starting out, killed Phalanx and went to farm souls in the first mines area. I get invaded by some guy who promptly spams some spell on me that destroys all my equipment. I summon a couple blue phantoms and get them killed. Then I die while trying to push the black phantom off a cliff. I alllmmmost had him to, it would have been hilarious. Anything I can do to avoid the equipment destruction? I have no souls and now I have no armor.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Be gone with you! You'll spoil my focus.

Spite posted:

So I got rocked by some jerk. I'm just starting out, killed Phalanx and went to farm souls in the first mines area. I get invaded by some guy who promptly spams some spell on me that destroys all my equipment. I summon a couple blue phantoms and get them killed. Then I die while trying to push the black phantom off a cliff. I alllmmmost had him to, it would have been hilarious. Anything I can do to avoid the equipment destruction? I have no souls and now I have no armor.

Avoid clouds of acid. Semms like Im the only one who uses Acid cloud and SS though ; ;
Everyone has their dragon sword, or meat cleaver, doesn't help them live though.

Also, suiciding/helping as a B. phantom is awesome and confuses people.

wurzle
Apr 8, 2009
3-1 question:

I'm looking for the Jailer's key at the end of the crossbow hallway. Is it on the wall somewhere like the other keys in 3-1? I've died 4 times darting out onto the hall to check corpses because I can't see the drat thing.

I checked the map on the wiki and the dot doesn't seem to correspond to anything in game... or I might just be blind.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

wurzle posted:

3-1 question:

I'm looking for the Jailer's key at the end of the crossbow hallway. Is it on the wall somewhere like the other keys in 3-1? I've died 4 times darting out onto the hall to check corpses because I can't see the drat thing.

I checked the map on the wiki and the dot doesn't seem to correspond to anything in game... or I might just be blind.

It's right at the very start of the pathway with the crossbow machine, just so far out enough that you can reach it without actually going into the pathway.

plainclothes goth
Jul 15, 2001
I just had my cheesiest boss fight yet. The Old Monk's human-controlled black phantoms kept being jerks with awful cloud spells, so the third or forth time I tried it I just bowed a couple of times, left some moon grass on the ground for the dude and just kinda stood around. Eventually he made the "whatever" motion and let me kill him.

You get more flies with honey!

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.
Are there any armours with special bonuses apart from the silver bracelet? It'd be nice if you could craft/upgrade armour like you can weapons. Especially if you had to choose between a good weapon or good armour when using the demon souls that currently can only be used for one thing.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Sunday Punch posted:

Are there any armours with special bonuses apart from the silver bracelet? It'd be nice if you could craft/upgrade armour like you can weapons. Especially if you had to choose between a good weapon or good armour when using the demon souls that currently can only be used for one thing.

The silver coronet gives +20% max mp and there's another hat that acts like a ring of magical sharpness.

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.
This world tendency stuff is really aggravating. On my second play through I just defeated the 1-2 and 1-3 bosses while alive with a few trips back to the Nexus for things. I died in between the two defeats, but it was in other worlds. It looks like at some point my tendency must have reset because while Boletaria looks pretty white I can't get into the Miralda area at the start. Since I have no more bosses left in Boletaria, it looks like I can't get her armor this time through either. Goddammit.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

hoodrow trillson posted:

I just had my cheesiest boss fight yet. The Old Monk's human-controlled black phantoms kept being jerks with awful cloud spells, so the third or forth time I tried it I just bowed a couple of times, left some moon grass on the ground for the dude and just kinda stood around. Eventually he made the "whatever" motion and let me kill him.

You get more flies with honey!

How do you do those motions, anyway?

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.
Hold X and the emote menu comes up, make your choice then release the button to shrug or bow or whatever.

Slab_Bulkhead
Mar 17, 2009
What the hell? I just loaded my game and the blue phantom NPC that sits in front of the world 1 stone was gone and in his place was a traditional hero's soul.

I know that the Silent Chief guy kills NPC's in the Nexus, but I don't recall ever finding him.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Slab_Bulkhead posted:

What the hell? I just loaded my game and the blue phantom NPC that sits in front of the world 1 stone was gone and in his place was a traditional hero's soul.

I know that the Silent Chief guy kills NPC's in the Nexus, but I don't recall ever finding him.

That guy dies after you talk to him a certain number of times. You can even "kill" him before you go anywhere else after taking out Phalanx.

Slab_Bulkhead
Mar 17, 2009

Tortolia posted:

That guy dies after you talk to him a certain number of times.

Wait. So...he's the spiritual personification of my chances with women??? From Software are a bunch of bastards. Thanks for the info.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Slab_Bulkhead posted:

If you talk to him he slowly gets more confused and agitated, then he finally says he can't remember who he was. The next time you come back he disappeared.

Just shows that you can't just give up and 'live' in the nexus forever, you have to keep fighting.

And yeah I'm totally confused as to the world/character tendency stuff. Is there really some bug that turning off the game while in the nexus reset it? All of mine look neutral, and I've done the first two bosses of world 1 and 2.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Sunday Punch posted:

Hold X and the emote menu comes up, make your choice then release the button to shrug or bow or whatever.

You can also hold X and quickly move the controller in a certain way to activate an emote, all I remember is that "Bow" is hold X and move the controller left (for duels) and that "Huzzah!" is hold X and move it right (which I do whenever I get a Trophy)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Policenaut posted:

You can also hold X and quickly move the controller in a certain way to activate an emote, all I remember is that "Bow" is hold X and move the controller left (for duels) and that "Huzzah!" is hold X and move it right (which I do whenever I get a Trophy)

You mean tilt it to the right? I always wondered what the hell the directions were for on the emotes, no wonder so many other people can bust them out so quickly.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Fuzz posted:

You mean tilt it to the right? I always wondered what the hell the directions were for on the emotes, no wonder so many other people can bust them out so quickly.

Well, I always just hold X and immediately move my controller to the right. Not tilt, just take the controller horizontally then move it quickly right and I end up doing "Huzzah!" or whatever. I still have no clue what commands like "Right-Forward" mean but generally you get one out for moving the controller up, down, forward, back, left, or right.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Oae Ui posted:

This world tendency stuff is really aggravating. On my second play through I just defeated the 1-2 and 1-3 bosses while alive with a few trips back to the Nexus for things. I died in between the two defeats, but it was in other worlds. It looks like at some point my tendency must have reset because while Boletaria looks pretty white I can't get into the Miralda area at the start. Since I have no more bosses left in Boletaria, it looks like I can't get her armor this time through either. Goddammit.

World 1 is funky; either it takes more than the others to move it to pure white, or that gate doesn't actually open for white. I've made multiple trips in when I would have sworn the place was as lit up as it was going to get and the gate was still closed/I'd opened the gate earlier and saw no sign of Miralda. This latest trip through I took it to pure black to open the gate, reset, killed two bosses while alive, and found living Miralda just fine. If it's any consolation, she has a great voice to reward you for all the trouble.

Gay Rumsfeld
Nov 12, 2006
How do you get the sword that's encased in rubble at the top of the 2-3 boss fight (Dragon God)?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Gay Rumsfeld posted:

How do you get the sword that's encased in rubble at the top of the 2-3 boss fight (Dragon God)?

Pure White world Tendency.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Anyone have any thoughts on taking a Winged Spear +7 and going down the Moon Winged Spear upgrade path to get that magic damage effect? I've got a character heavily upgrading Dex and Magic, so I figure the AddedParams should be nice, and I like the idea of having magic damage. Is a Moon Winged Spear +5 going to out-perform a Winged Spear +10 in the end (which is sort of what I'm guessing will happen)?

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
After almost playing through the game as a mage, I jumped in on my sword character. Just got the meat cleaver, and with the purple flame shield, holy poo poo am I tearing up these worlds.

A big fuckoff sword/shield combo with a little Miracle power behind you seems to be the way to go in this game. Mages are hard to play :(

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Ravendas posted:

If you talk to him he slowly gets more confused and agitated, then he finally says he can't remember who he was. The next time you come back he disappeared.

Aha! I was wondering whatever happened to him. He left a soul item behind at least. I was worried some sinister force (not Yurt -- I killed him) was killing my Nexus residents somehow...

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

Which demon's soul do I give to Ed so I can forge unique weapons?

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
The boss of 2-2: Flame Lurker.

ssug
Feb 13, 2008
Oh man... I'm blind. This is awesome!

wurzle posted:

I bought a copy of this on Ebay from a Korean dude and it arrived via USPS in 96 hours with the "medium" shipping options.

Those of you waiting a month for delivery from an importer may want to check that out instead.

Here is the Ebay link... http://cgi.ebay.com/PS3-Demons-soul...C293:1%7C294:50

Okay, against my better judgment (I've been screwed by eBay before) I went this route and ordered it Friday. Now I just received notice from ebay that the listing has been removed and they have placed the transaction on hold until they investigate... WTF?

Anyone else get this who ordered from this guy?

Gay Rumsfeld
Nov 12, 2006

ssug posted:

Okay, against my better judgment (I've been screwed by eBay before) I went this route and ordered it Friday. Now I just received notice from ebay that the listing has been removed and they have placed the transaction on hold until they investigate... WTF?

Anyone else get this who ordered from this guy?

I actually just got this as well, and I don't really know what to make of it. I already received the game on Thursday :confused:.

Also, I'm pretty pissed at the game right now. I went to go get the Brushwood armor set in 1-1, and I didn't have enough space to pick up the leggings. I left, figuring I would come back and get it later, and when I came back later it wasn't there. I guess I have to wait till my next game to get them? The rest of the set looks pretty retarded with normal plate pants since its so puffy.

Gay Rumsfeld fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 12, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakkarim
May 4, 2005

Gay Rumsfeld posted:

Also, I'm pretty pissed at the game right now. I went to go get the Brushwood armor set in 1-1, and I didn't have enough space to pick up the leggings. I left, figuring I would come back and get it later, and when I came back later it wasn't there. I guess I have to wait till my next game to get them? The rest of the set looks pretty retarded with normal plate pants since its so puffy.

Biorr drops a set if he dies. You can rescue him in 1-3 and he'll help out in a few tough spots where it's possible he will die.

• Locked thread