Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobwhoops
Oct 29, 2007

Smello posted:

1526 1 0.003 sex

Keep wishing; you're a Nethack player.

That wish should totally summon a succubus / incubus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I PLAYED BATTLETOADS AND ALL I GOT WAS A RASH IN MY ASS
This is my favourite:
"from the list:for moment, you feel something in your hands, but it disappears!--more--"

Or maybe this one: "elm of brilliance"
I think I'm going to plant an elm of brilliance in my backyard next weekend.

This is kind of :unsmith: "emily's happiness"

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow
"scrool of"

Scrool of what? Be specific!

BARON BONGHITS
Jul 20, 2005

ahahaha tyeaa smoke weed lick a nigga fartjohnson chet etc blablab dmx guns are strong WOOF WOOF mameshibaaa~
17 seperate wishes for "blese" ahahahahaha

457 2 0.006 dragon scale male
458 2 0.006 dunce cap

BARON BONGHITS fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 13, 2009

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
code:
1120 1    0.003   gf
1122 1    0.003   gia tech research institute 
1251 1    0.003   hot redhead supermodel 
1263 1    0.003   krista. 
1334 1    0.003   most beautiful girl in world 
Dear god some of these are so depressing.

code:
880 1    0.003   cockatrice 
I can't imagine how angry this guy must have been.

code:
1262 1    0.003   kitten
In context, it's not bad. But out of context-- "I wish for a kitten." :gbsmith:

code:
1358 1    0.003   penis
:raise:

code:
1341 1    0.003   nothing.
:unsmith:

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow

BARON BONGHITS posted:

17 seperate wishes for "blese" ahahahahaha

457 2 0.006 dragon scale male
458 2 0.006 dunce cap

Theres 31 wishes for "bls". What the gently caress!?

Smash Daisaku
Jul 12, 2008

Last Bet $15 on Player 1
Odds 807.1:1 ($1)

tripwire posted:

Theres 31 wishes for "bls". What the gently caress!?

Trying to decipher some of these is half the fun!

This one killed me.
code:
723	1 	  0.003	  artifact weapon

Ham Pants
Apr 22, 2008

"HEADS! I eat a big ham sandwiche! TAILS! I work out!"
HamPants, HamPants the movie, 2009
This is probably the most dissappointing death I've had yet:
code:
  3      30608  Girlness-Val-Hum-Fem-Law choked on her food in
                Sokoban on level 4 [max 11].  Choked on a tin of
                spinach.
:saddowns:

I had +4 Gray Dragon Scale Mail, +3 Excalibur, a +3 Small Shield, a wand of death, a wand each of fire and lightning, and enough lembas wafers to last me for the rest of the game. :(

BARON BONGHITS
Jul 20, 2005

ahahaha tyeaa smoke weed lick a nigga fartjohnson chet etc blablab dmx guns are strong WOOF WOOF mameshibaaa~

Ham Pants posted:

This is probably the most dissappointing death I've had yet:
code:
  3      30608  Girlness-Val-Hum-Fem-Law choked on her food in
                Sokoban on level 4 [max 11].  Choked on a tin of
                spinach.
:saddowns:

I had +4 Gray Dragon Scale Mail, +3 Excalibur, a +3 Small Shield, a wand of death, a wand each of fire and lightning, and enough lembas wafers to last me for the rest of the game. :(
What are you retarded or something? Why would you eat a tin, which won't go bad, when stuffed?

Ham Pants
Apr 22, 2008

"HEADS! I eat a big ham sandwiche! TAILS! I work out!"
HamPants, HamPants the movie, 2009
Got a little overexcited about the prospect of spinach - poo poo happens!

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'
You need to remember though, trying to go back and delete letters using the directional pad fucks your wish up and guarenteed half of these are due to that.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

quote:

67 46 0.135 heart of ahriman

Who the hell would wish for this crappy artifact?

quote:

1755 1 0.003 wand of polyo

"You see here a string cheese." I should totally make this my fruit.

Filburt Shellbach
Nov 6, 2007

Apni tackat say tujay aaj mitta juu gaa!

Third Murderer posted:

I might wish for it instead of a ring of levitation if I also lost my luckstone... 46 times.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Third Murderer posted:

Hey, it's a +5 rock! :buddy:

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
It's an artifact slingstone, you can't buy that sort of quality

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Put it in a bag and you've got a blackjack.

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.
What the flying gently caress happened here?

I was cruising along on the ascension run with my paladin, riding my pimp dragon when this happened on the Juiblex level. My dragon is standing happily in the water right next to me.

I suck at riding apparently, did the incubus seduce my dragon, removing the saddle?
50k turns gone, gently caress.

Edit: Nice, bones in the water with a full ascension kit, I hope the character that gets there has wands of cold and object detection. :(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Greybone fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 15, 2009

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax
This is interesting, you should take a look.

Darth l33t
Jul 6, 2000

Greybone posted:

I suck at riding apparently, did the incubus seduce my dragon, removing the saddle?
Yep. Gotta hand it to that incubus, seducing a creature 100 times its size.

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.
Ugh, that's one thing I was unsure about that I couldn't find in the spoilers - what, exactly, can you protect your pet from?

Reflection seemed to work against wands and black dragons, but where I just lucky? Also my dumb dragon got stoned by a cockatrice, so I assume those should always be jousted from afar. Foocubus I learned was bad the hard way, what about trappers/lurkers? Poly traps once I get MR?

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

Chameleon corpses are another thing to watch out for, they'll polymorph your pet if eaten. Could be useful to power up a weak pet but most likely harmful if you already have a good one.

Purple worms fall into the same class at trapper/lurker above.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Greybone posted:

Also my dumb dragon got stoned by a cockatrice, so I assume those should always be jousted from afar.

This is a danger when you're riding, but otherwise I believe pets are smart enough to avoid cockatrices, barring conflict/blindness/confusion/etc.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Devonaut posted:

Chameleon corpses are another thing to watch out for, they'll polymorph your pet if eaten. Could be useful to power up a weak pet but most likely harmful if you already have a good one.

Purple worms fall into the same class at trapper/lurker above.

Watching Sartak play on his naked attempt, and he asked us if should let his pet eat it, and we all screamed YES. He got an iguana.

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.
So I guess the safety rules when riding would go something like:

- Don't get in close combat with C, as your mount will retaliate if they get hit
- Don't get hit by wands/disintegration rays unless your mount is a gray/silver/black dragon (?), as it's a 20% chance it will hit your mount instead of you
- Don't let your pet eat shapeshifter corpses
- Don't get in close combat with foocubus or nymphs as they can steal the saddle
- Don't ride into trappesr, lurkers or worms(?)

What about:
- Liches and destroy armor spells (saddle isn't armor I guess, but the mount is wearing it :) )
- Liches and touch of death?
- Slimes? Can your pet get slimed?
- Poison? Demogorgon/Pestilence?
- Polytraps?

Man, riding things sure is complicated :(

Greybone fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 16, 2009

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

Greybone posted:

So I guess the safety rules when riding would go something like:

- Don't get in close combat with C, as your mount will retaliate if they get hit
- Don't get hit by wands/disintegration rays unless your mount is a gray/silver/black dragon (?), as it's a 20% chance it will hit your mount instead of you
- Don't let your pet eat shapeshifter corpses
- Don't get in close combat with foocubus or nymphs as they can steal the saddle
- Don't ride into trappesr, lurkers or worms(?)

What about :
- Liches and destroy armor spells (saddle isn't armor I guess, but the mount is wearing it :) )
- Liches and touch of death?
- Slimes? Can your pet get slimed?
- Poison? Demogorgon/Pestilence?
- Polytraps?

Man, riding things sure is complicated :(

- Yellow Dragons are stoning resistant and will not be majorly harmed by c.
- Nymphs and foocubi are really only a problem if your over water or lava. If you only engage over solid ground you should be safe in the event that the saddle is removed. Well, you'll still to recover the saddle, but if you've got a pet worth riding you shouldn't have problems with either.
- Gray dragons are not disintegration resistant. So only Silver/Black dragons are safe. As is any pet carrying a shield of reflection, or wearing an amulet of reflection usually (A or C)
- I'm kind of curious about the lurker/trapper/worm, because I've never been swallowed while riding a pet. I guess a ring of slow Digestion will save the pair of you, but it will have to be worn ahead of time.
- As far as Liches go, you need to be worried about them cursing your saddle. I'm not sure if this throws you off or just keeps you from getting back on. Your Magic Resistance will protect them from the touch of death.
- Your pet is protected from polytraps via your magic resistance.

Things to be added to the initial list:
* Vorpal blade while riding a Jabberwock.
* Always Joust! When successful: it knocks an enemy back(not huge enemies like giants), stuns them, and keeps them from acting again this turn. While you're at it take advantage the range of applying the lance so that you avoid most of the potentially harmful close contact situations listed above. When jousting as a knight, you might be better off not two weaponing, as you'll have an 80% joust rate as opposed to a 60% joust rate. Also the bonus joust damage is greater if your lance is your primary weapon, which makes it a more consistent damage dealer than most artifacts(damage not dependent on monster characteristics).

Darth l33t
Jul 6, 2000

Argon_Sloth posted:

- I'm kind of curious about the lurker/trapper/worm, because I've never been swallowed while riding a pet. I guess a ring of slow Digestion will save the pair of you, but it will have to be worn ahead of time.
If you're riding, a digesting monster will swallow you and not your pet (the source specifically mentions that swallowing mounted players is buggy). If you're worried about losing your pet while unmounted, dragons are too big to be swallowed. I'm uncertain of the exact cutoff, but dragons are the very biggest size class, so they're safe.

As for spells, monster spells only target you, not your pet. The lich's chilling touch could still hit your pet, but don't worry about instadeath.

I just did a test in Wizard mode, wielding Vorpal Blade will NOT cause you to attack a tame jabberwock. Be careful if you have Stormbringer, of course.

Pets are immune to the Riders' instadeaths, but they do more damage than a pet can easily handle (a maxed-out dragon has 176 HP, and a Rider does an average of 48 damage per move). Jousting is definitely your friend here.

Slimes can indeed slime your pet. Use a light source and apply your lance to hit them from a distance.

Personally, I think riding in the late game is more hassle than it's worth. By the time you find a saddle (I've found two in over a dozen ascensions), or blow a wish on one, you're much tougher than most pets and deal more damage than a pet. Even a hasted dragon will slow you down, while the faster pets, warhorses and unicorns, lack HP and are vulnerable to polytraps and rays of any kind. Maybe if you're playing under some sort of crippling conduct combination, you could use the extra firepower, but for the most part riding means you have to worry about lots of things a non-riding ascendable character could ignore.

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

Darth l33t posted:

If you're riding, a digesting monster will swallow you and not your pet (the source specifically mentions that swallowing mounted players is buggy). If you're worried about losing your pet while unmounted, dragons are too big to be swallowed. I'm uncertain of the exact cutoff, but dragons are the very biggest size class, so they're safe.

As for spells, monster spells only target you, not your pet. The lich's chilling touch could still hit your pet, but don't worry about instadeath.

I just did a test in Wizard mode, wielding Vorpal Blade will NOT cause you to attack a tame jabberwock. Be careful if you have Stormbringer, of course.

Pets are immune to the Riders' instadeaths, but they do more damage than a pet can easily handle (a maxed-out dragon has 176 HP, and a Rider does an average of 48 damage per move). Jousting is definitely your friend here.

Slimes can indeed slime your pet. Use a light source and apply your lance to hit them from a distance.

Personally, I think riding in the late game is more hassle than it's worth. By the time you find a saddle (I've found two in over a dozen ascensions), or blow a wish on one, you're much tougher than most pets and deal more damage than a pet. Even a hasted dragon will slow you down, while the faster pets, warhorses and unicorns, lack HP and are vulnerable to polytraps and rays of any kind. Maybe if you're playing under some sort of crippling conduct combination, you could use the extra firepower, but for the most part riding means you have to worry about lots of things a non-riding ascendable character could ignore.

The vorpal blade comment was more in reference to the odd time you run into an monster with one on the Astral Plane. I was wondering if the instakill effect vs. Jabberwocks would kick in if it was a monster attacking your pet.

Darth l33t
Jul 6, 2000

Argon_Sloth posted:

The vorpal blade comment was more in reference to the odd time you run into an monster with one on the Astral Plane. I was wondering if the instakill effect vs. Jabberwocks would kick in if it was a monster attacking your pet.
I imagine it would, but if you run into an enemy with Vorpy, you should really be more worried about saving your OWN neck.

RoboBlaster
Mar 25, 2005

Run, Robot, Run.
I just lost an awesome Healer to the high priest of Moloch, which would have been my third ascension. I was playing very stupidly. Be careful out there.

Bible Patriot
Apr 6, 2005

by Fistgrrl
I just lost probably my most promising character ever to the thread title :(

I was in a rush and thought i was eating the corpse to the left.

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.
Sweeeeeeet, looks like Armstronger will pick up the dragonriding legacy of his predecessor!

Click here for the full 1057x970 image.

I just like to joust, what can I say :shrug:
Now if only I had some armor that was worthwhile enchanting..

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax
Got my first "oY today! Saving for now, waiting until later tonight to try to get my first ascension!!!

Filburt Shellbach
Nov 6, 2007

Apni tackat say tujay aaj mitta juu gaa!

factorialite posted:

Got my first "oY today! Saving for now, waiting until later tonight to try to get my first ascension!!!

Good luck. Just take her slowly and you'll win.

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax

Sartak posted:

Well, I didn't take her slowly, accidentally hit the wrong button to put everything in my bag of holding (including a wand of cancellation...)

Blew up my sunsword, grayswandir, excalibur, vorpal blade, 2 wands of death, 3 scrolls of charging, a magic marker, 9 blessed blanked scrolls, all my food/wands/everything that I wasn't wearing, except for my pickaxe.

I died on the plane of air.

I hate my life. I died with a cursed -2 trident inside an air elemental.

RoboBlaster
Mar 25, 2005

Run, Robot, Run.

factorialite posted:

Well, I didn't take her slowly, accidentally hit the wrong button to put everything in my bag of holding (including a wand of cancellation...)

Blew up my sunsword, grayswandir, excalibur, vorpal blade, 2 wands of death, 3 scrolls of charging, a magic marker, 9 blessed blanked scrolls, all my food/wands/everything that I wasn't wearing, except for my pickaxe.

I died on the plane of air.

I hate my life. I died with a cursed -2 trident inside an air elemental.

Wow, that is even worse than my death - my condolences. I made the same /oC mistake you made once before. Now I take extra caution when messing with wands.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

factorialite posted:

Concern that this might happen has left me deathly afraid of wands of cancellation. Anyway, don't get discouraged - you got that far once, so you can do it again!

edit: Incidentally, I also once hit the wrong button, and wound up with this thread title as a result. I've also been killed by Pestilence, even though I was a wizard who knew Cure Sickness at the time. Seriously, poo poo just happens sometimes.

Medenmath fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 18, 2009

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

Sartak posted:

This is so true. I'm embarrassed by how many deaths I've had with the amulet.

Kleedrac
Jan 16, 2008

Mii, myself & I

Third Murderer posted:

Concern that this might happen has left me deathly afraid of wands of cancellation. Anyway, don't get discouraged - you got that far once, so you can do it again!

edit: Incidentally, I also once hit the wrong button, and wound up with this thread title as a result. I've also been killed by Pestilence, even though I was a wizard who knew Cure Sickness at the time. Seriously, poo poo just happens sometimes.

This is the reason /oCancellations go into a stash the next time I build one ... I've really never found a good use for them beyond blanking scrolls anyhow :v:

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow

Kleedrac posted:

This is the reason /oCancellations go into a stash the next time I build one ... I've really never found a good use for them beyond blanking scrolls anyhow :v:

Lots of monsters have attacks which cause annoyance or even death, and most of them can be neutered by being canceled. Liches lose spellcasting, dragons lose breath attacks, cockatrices no longer stone by hissing (still deadly to touch though), leprechauns and nymphs can't rob you and teleport, disenchanters can't gently caress up your enchantments, etc etc etc. There's a lot of situations where a wand of cancellation can prove useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smash Daisaku
Jul 12, 2008

Last Bet $15 on Player 1
Odds 807.1:1 ($1)

Kleedrac posted:

I tend to carry one with me whenever I find it. I use it early on to cancel annoying stuff like rust monsters and breath attack monsters, and in the later game disenchanters get the end of it. It's also nice to have a convenient blanking source when you're deep in Gehennom for emergencies. I just make sure to pay attention when I'm putting things, especially wands, into my bags, and I never have a problem with it.

Of course, finding one SUPER early (pre-minetown) is one of the greatest things you can get, since cancelling cursed armor to make it wearable is awesome.

• Locked thread