Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

waptang posted:

My brother doesn't ride (yet), but has been looking for a project. This popped up on craigslist and piqued our interest. Would this be a terrible idea or not?

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/1125896627.html

Depends on how difficult it is to deal with the "no-title, Bill of sale only" in your state. In CA that could be 100$, or it could be 500$, depending on the situation. Look at the worst case scenario, and see if it's still a good deal if you're dumping that money into just getting it street legal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Is your brother a proficient electrician? If not, he will be after fixing that thing up.

waptang
Nov 30, 2003
I know it's hard to say without seeing the actual bike, but what kind of expenses could we expect to get it street legal, other than the title? Only things I can come up with are all the rubber bits, battery, fluids, chain and sprockets. The carbs and tank would obviously need to be cleaned. The electicals would probably need work too.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

waptang posted:

I know it's hard to say without seeing the actual bike, but what kind of expenses could we expect to get it street legal, other than the title?

I've been through this with two sad old bikes. One of them was left outside and it actually required more work despite being much newer. If the engine is a runner and clutch is okay then expect to clean or replace the following:

- Chain
- Tank
- Tires
- Brakes
- Anything rubber
- Carbs
- Lots of little electrical things

Also budget for a bundle of incidentals like filters, fluids, spark plugs, tools, chemicals and boxes of metric fasteners. If you don't have any experience with this I wouldn't expect to have it on the street until fall. You will need to spend a lot of time researching the bike as well. With old bikes like this the amount of money you end up spending goes up dramatically with how quickly you want to finish the project.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

8ender posted:

I've been through this with two sad old bikes. One of them was left outside and it actually required more work despite being much newer. If the engine is a runner and clutch is okay then expect to clean or replace the following:

- Chain
- Tank
- Tires
- Brakes
- Anything rubber
- Carbs
- Lots of little electrical things

Also budget for a bundle of incidentals like filters, fluids, spark plugs, tools, chemicals and boxes of metric fasteners. If you don't have any experience with this I wouldn't expect to have it on the street until fall. You will need to spend a lot of time researching the bike as well. With old bikes like this the amount of money you end up spending goes up dramatically with how quickly you want to finish the project.

I'd also mention that difficulty and cost goes up if you've got a bike that was less common. It's pretty easy to restore a basket case bike where there were loads of other bikes, spares on ebay, and a big community who knows about the common problems and fixes for the bikes. Not so easy when you've got some oddball one off.

I'd estimate about a thousand dollars to get it up and running in good shape. You could probably chop it together for less, but it'd be hit or miss.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Z3n posted:

I'd also mention that difficulty and cost goes up if you've got a bike that was less common. It's pretty easy to restore a basket case bike where there were loads of other bikes, spares on ebay, and a big community who knows about the common problems and fixes for the bikes. Not so easy when you've got some oddball one off.

This is so true. A mechanic buddy of mine has been bitching about working on "Satan's daily driver", a 1959 Ferrari Spyder California, for the last month. Apparently it's a real bitch to track down parts for a vehicle of which only six were ever built.

See if they guy can tell you what the model is, and then start checking parts availability, both online and locally. If you have a good bike salvage yard nearby you may want to start checking the bone piles to see what they have. If you're going to ebay everything you want to be really confident that what your ordering is for your model, year, and any options on your machine.

Edit: There should be model information on the frame/motor. If not you may be able to figure it out from the VIN.
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Gr3y fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 17, 2009

waptang
Nov 30, 2003
Is there some place this guy can look to get the model or some other code to identify the bike? I'm going to send him an email to see what he knows about it.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

waptang posted:

Is there some place this guy can look to get the model or some other code to identify the bike? I'm going to send him an email to see what he knows about it.

I would wager from the pictures that its an old XS650. The pics are low quality but that engine is pretty distinctive. If it turns out to be a XS650 then there is actually a pretty good following for them out there. Yamaha cranked them out from 1968 all the way till 1983 so there are lots of parts out there.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

waptang
Nov 30, 2003

8ender posted:

I would wager from the pictures that its an old XS650. The pics are low quality but that engine is pretty distinctive. If it turns out to be a XS650 then there is actually a pretty good following for them out there. Yamaha cranked them out from 1968 all the way till 1983 so there are lots of parts out there.

Looks like you're probably right.

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/yamaha_xs_650_1975.php

Knowing that, would this bike be worth pursuing? I know he was asking for a project, but how reliable are these bikes? Any gotchas?

waptang fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 17, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

waptang posted:

Looks like you're probably right.

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/yamaha_xs_650_1975.php

Knowing that, would this bike be worth pursuing? I know he was asking for a project, but how reliable are these bikes? Any gotchas?

The problem with rebuilding bikes like that is anything could be a gotcha, given that the bike was sitting outside. It could fire up with a little oil thrown it's way in anger, or it could be rusted solid and the cylinders could be all "till death do us part" with the pistons. Is the second one likely? No, not really, but it's a possibility, and are you going to be able to handle it if it does come to that?

How much mechanical experience do you have? Do you think that the owner would let you show up with some cheap oil, and let you do a very complete once over to check the basics?

I highly, highly recommend that you start with something that runs for a first project if you want to ride it anytime soon. Intermittent problems, gunked carbs, etc, basic R/R type stuff is much easier done if you know that the bike is rideable.

Now, if you can find a lovely but running XS650 that you could parts swap over and make one good bike out of 2 bad ones, then that may be worth looking into...but you may also end up a lot deeper into your project than you expect at that point.

My 2c, worth exactly what you paid for it.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 17, 2009

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

waptang posted:

As Z3n said you pretty much have to assume right off the bat that the bike may end up being a write off, and that you'll get into the project and find that something critical has gone wrong somewhere that will be too expensive or time consuming to fix.

If you're willing to make that leap of faith then it'll be a fine project. As for the XS650 as a model I can't really comment. Most of the UJM motorcycles of that era were hilariously over engineered and the result was that the engine and drivetrain in a lot of them are bulletproof. There are exceptions of course.

If it was me I'd take a look but weather does horrible things to a sitting bike. The bike I just finished has sat in and out of a barn for a few years and it really ruined a lot of parts on the bike.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
Harley XR1200.

Oh yeah.

Does orange look good on me?

Spending as much on the bike as I did on my first dwelling, well, mayeb not so good.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Those are such nice bikes, I just wish they were a little more leaned down and minimalist.

And you're dating yourself saying that an XR would have cost as much as your first dwelling. :xd: I can't imagine a home that costs less than 200k. :v:

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Z3n posted:

Those are such nice bikes, I just wish they were a little more leaned down and minimalist.

And you're dating yourself saying that an XR would have cost as much as your first dwelling. :xd: I can't imagine a home that costs less than 200k. :v:

Too be fair, my first dwelling was a trailer.... :hist101:

200K will still buy a pretty nice house here these days, 100K is tougher but doable.

OTD on the XR here-13K. That includes our local stealer $680 storage fee, $405 assembly and $200 DMV. I am in the wrong business, that's for sure.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

Z3n posted:

Compared to most Harleys, though? That thing's so pared down, it's practically invisible.

Buy it, swap for a solo seat, and rock a set of clubmans. :rock:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Simkin posted:

Compared to most Harleys, though? That thing's so pared down, it's practically invisible.

Buy it, swap for a solo seat, and rock a set of clubmans. :rock:

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

That is what it should look like. Maybe the addition of some front brakes would be appropriate. Maybe.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

What's the lever by the right foot peg for? It's certainly not attached to any brake.

Opponent Process
Sep 8, 2006
I've been keeping my eyes peeled for an appropriate bike with a clean title in my area, and just found this on craigslist:

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/1128812688.html

As far as I remember I've heard lots of positive things about the GS500E and I love the way it looks. Good price? Anything I whould be on the lookout for?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

About the only thing to be on the lookout for with GS500s, especially at reasonable prices, is that they don't stick around on the market for very long at all. Go buy that sucker.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Speaking of GS500's, my friend is looking for his first bike and we found this:

http://kelowna.en.craigslist.ca/mcy/1110747392.html

Apparently it's been dropped, but they repaired the damage. Nothing serious apparently..

20,000 KM's And he has the maintenance history.

Most GS500's of that year are going for $4000. Think it's a good deal? My buddy doesn't really care about it being dropped as long as it didn't do any major damage.

There's nothing seriously wrong with that year of GS500's, right?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Nope, that's a pretty solid deal for a GS500 in BC. I sold my 95 off two years ago, with the same mileage, and a few scuffs, for only $500 less than that, and Victoria has a slightly better bike market (as far as being able to find cheap bikes goes).

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Simkin posted:

What's the lever by the right foot peg for? It's certainly not attached to any brake.

Kickstart I believe.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Doesn't seem that robust, for a kickstart, but then again, I've only ever seen kickstart levers that fold up.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Simkin posted:

Right side shift, because when you're sideways as gently caress on a flat track, there's no way to shift on the left side. Harley switched over somewhere in the 70s to left side shift. Not sure on the exact dates and models, but know it was somewhere in there for most of their bikes. The XR was right side shift though.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Ah, that makes way more sense. It's still odd to see it directly plugged into the engine/transmission case, and not activating the shift mechanism with a pushrod - maybe I've just been staring at bikes with large transmissions for too long.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Simkin posted:

Ah, that makes way more sense. It's still odd to see it directly plugged into the engine/transmission case, and not activating the shift mechanism with a pushrod - maybe I've just been staring at bikes with large transmissions for too long.

Neither of my bikes have a pushrod shifter setup and they're old or older than that Harley. I think the pushrod setup is a newer bike thing.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

MrZig posted:

GS500F

drat, it sold. And there's no comparable bikes for sale! poo poo.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

MrZig, just tell your friend that if he really wants a bike, and doesn't want to buy new/get raped by small market prices, that his only realistic choice is Vancouver. Contact 3-5 sellers of bikes that he's interested in, drive down on a Saturday with an envelope full of cash, and drive home on Sunday with a new toy.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/mcy/1111404000.html <- This is probably the best of the lot.
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/mcy/1070903099.html
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/mcy/1092032016.html
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/mcy/1097987056.html
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/mcy/1121024527.html

You could even tell him that you're such a good friend, that you'd happily ride it back to Kelowna for him, if he drives the support vehicle. :v:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/mcy/1130338736.html

I want this soooooooooooooooooooooo bad. Its about a 800$ to much though.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Ziploc posted:

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/mcy/1130338736.html

I want this soooooooooooooooooooooo bad. Its about a 800$ to much though.

and virtually imposable to find parts for. You're not missing "much".

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Nerobro posted:

and virtually imposable to find parts for. You're not missing "much".

Maybe engine parts. I thought Bandits were decently popular? I know there are a bunch of 1200s, a few 600s and 400s, and like 4 250s around me.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Simkin posted:

MrZig, just tell your friend that if he really wants a bike, and doesn't want to buy new/get raped by small market prices, that his only realistic choice is Vancouver. Contact 3-5 sellers of bikes that he's interested in, drive down on a Saturday with an envelope full of cash, and drive home on Sunday with a new toy.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/mcy/1111404000.html <- This is probably the best of the lot.
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/mcy/1070903099.html
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/mcy/1092032016.html
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/mcy/1097987056.html
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/mcy/1121024527.html

You could even tell him that you're such a good friend, that you'd happily ride it back to Kelowna for him, if he drives the support vehicle. :v:

Woah the first and last ones look really good, thanks. We've been thinking about Vancouver, as I think he has to go there anyways when he gets back. :)

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Yeah, np. I don't try and buy bikes in Victoria anymore, as the price difference between here and Vancouver always at least pays for the cost of the petrol and :argh: Ferry :argh:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Simkin posted:

petrol

putting the British in British Columbia

Simkin
May 18, 2007

:wotwot:

Us Victorians do need our affectations. I feel incomplete without my afternoon tea, followed by a late afternoon romp through the plantation to oppress the native work force.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
That tears it, someone get this man a Brough Superior

Simkin
May 18, 2007

internetthinktankv2.0 posted:

Brough Superior motorcycles have always been rare and expensive. Because of their connection with Lawrence of Arabia, their high quality of fit and finish, and their reputation for reliability and race victories, they are among the most collectible motorised vehicles. In 2007, prices ranged from $40,000 to more than $3,000,000 USD.
:cry:

I'd probably be okay settling for an old beezer or something. Maybe when I'm old and can rock a leather riding cap and goggles without caring about personal safety.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Simkin posted:

:cry:

I'd probably be okay settling for an old beezer or something. Maybe when I'm old and can rock a leather riding cap and goggles without caring about personal safety.

I'm so angry that I missed the days when Vincents were available for a relatively reasonable price. Maybe now that the economy has crashed prices will come back down and I'll have the chance to one day own one. Ideally, it'll be about 10 years down the road when I have enough money and have damaged my body enough that supersport bikes are no longer appealing. :xd:

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

http://burlington.craigslist.org/mcy/1133767268.html

Not running for 6 years, what do I offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Z3n posted:

I'm so angry that I missed the days when Vincents were available for a relatively reasonable price. Maybe now that the economy has crashed prices will come back down and I'll have the chance to one day own one. Ideally, it'll be about 10 years down the road when I have enough money and have damaged my body enough that supersport bikes are no longer appealing. :xd:

I dunno, what are the odds that Retro will get big in the next 10 years? I wouldn't mind a re-issue of Ariel or Norton if they were made well.

For firearms, there's a lot of interest in Vietnam-era M16s now, lots of folks producing accurate retro parts to build all the obscure early variants faithfully. That'd be a neat contrast to the current American focus on high-power sporters and huge chromed cruisers.