Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

SeraphSlaughter posted:

Recommend me instrumental stuff with a focus on guitar, preferably along the lines of stuff like Kaki King (even though she has vocals in some songs), Explosions in the Sky, 65daysofstatic, etc.

Really anything that's instrumental guitar that doesn't sound like 80s shredmetal dudes like Steve Vai/Joe Satriani/whatever.

Check out Don Caballero.

Taxxorrak posted:

Hi guys.

I've recently been listening to alot of Meshuggah, and free jazz. I've heard some bands that combine this pretty well. Basically, I want the hardness of metal with the free improvisational nature of jazz. It can gladly be similar to noise with some structure, avant garde etc. It has to be good, though. That's abit stupid to say, but it really has to be great.

Any recommendations? I'd love to hear some! :)

If you don't already know them, check out Last Exit. Sonny Sharrock and friends playing at thrash metal tempos. Victim's Family may also be along the lines of what you're looking for, they're not really "free" in that they don't improvise much but the music is very complex and very intense.

swampland posted:

Hi, seeking sprawling, disturbing, disjointed albums. The kind that will keep you up at night and half stop your heart.

Along the lines of, say: The Drift by Scott Walker, From Her to Eternity by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Locust Abortion Technician by the Butthole Surfers.

Basically as if I were a submissive and sought a master album to completely overwhelm and debase me.

Swans have already been mentioned, but I suggest checking out their earlier stuff too. I haven't listened to them in a while but I recall liking Filth and Cop/Young God.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snakeater
May 17, 2008

A paranoiac in reverse.

IS A CRACKBABY posted:

So I need some music. I'm into many types of music, but my favorite has to be Indie/Folk, such as the following;

-Sufjan Stevens
-Neutral Milk Hotel
-Iron and Wine
-Fleet Foxes
-Andrew Bird
-Wolf Parade

Could I get some bands/artists that are similar to these?

I know people have already recommended a bunch of really great artists, but I want to suggest Horse Feathers, they really capture the indie-folk feel and are extremely relaxing. Give them a try.

snakeater fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Apr 13, 2009

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007
I'd love to hear songs in the same vein as Underworld's "Ess Gee".

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe
I'm currently looking into getting into rap and hip-hop
I enjoyed Flobot's Fight With Tools, and just got P.O.S.'s Never better.
I really enjoy that kind of raw/harsh sound, so something along those lines would be great.
I also have heard and enjoyed tracks by Geto Boys and Blackalicious

Really I'm just trying to find a good place to jump in from.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

MALCOLM XTREME posted:

I'd love to hear songs in the same vein as Underworld's "Ess Gee".

well that song is basically just an electric piano solo which i'm sure there are a billion of but some stuff that has a similar vibe is Boards of Canada, Brian Eno, The Orb and The KLF, maybe Ulrich Schnauss

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I'm having a party in a few weeks, and I want to have a great playlist going on. To describe what I'm looking for, I was at the bar the other night, and there was a DJ mixing old motown songs. The mixes were subtle, and it took me a little while to even notice there was a difference between what he was playing and the original. It was enough for everyone to really get into the music though and want to go and dance.

Other than that, any suggestions would be great really.

Edit:

My last party mix was rather indie pop heavy. While I thought it was good, a lot of people don't really get into it.

1) Alphabeat - Fascination
2) The Ting Tings - Great DJ
3) Los Campesinos! - My Year In Lists
4) Animal Collective - My Girls
5) The Temper Trap - Sweet Disposition
6) The Go! Team - Titanic Vandalism
7) Interpol - Evil
8) Fleetwood Mac - Go Your Own Way
9) Girl Talk - In Step
10) Hercules and Love Affair - Blind
11) Justice - Dvno
12) The Lonely Island - Jizz In My Pants
13) M.I.A. - Bamboo Banga
14) Of Montreal - An Elaurdian Instance
15) Patrick Wolf - Accident & Emergency
16) Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
17) Radiohead - 15 Step
18) The Righteous Brothers - You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling
19) TV on the Radio - Dancing Choose

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 14, 2009

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007

etard knievel posted:

well that song is basically just an electric piano solo which i'm sure there are a billion of but some stuff that has a similar vibe is Boards of Canada, Brian Eno, The Orb and The KLF, maybe Ulrich Schnauss
yes I already have all those artists I meant electric piano solos like that one specifically

Griever
Jan 19, 2006

Everything has its beginning
Could I please get a recommendation for some upbeat Jazz or brass style bands? They don't necessarily have to be contemporary, I'm just looking for some good starting points.
Preferably nothing too obscure so I can check them out on youtube or spotify before making any purchases!

I ask because I've been listening to a little Tokyo Brass Style and want to listen to more like it except without the anime ties :v:

VVV Awesome, thanks. Definitely liking them too!

Griever fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 15, 2009

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

Griever posted:

Could I please get a recommendation for some upbeat Jazz or brass style bands? They don't necessarily have to be contemporary, I'm just looking for some good starting points.
Preferably nothing too obscure so I can check them out on youtube or spotify before making any purchases!

I ask because I've been listening to a little Tokyo Brass Style and want to listen to more like it except without the anime ties :v:

Four words: Soil and "Pimp" Sessions.

Optimum Gulps fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 14, 2009

lifeloveregret
Nov 29, 2005

start spreading the news
i'm getting really into old psychadelic. right now i'm listening to Егор и Опизденевшие and Les Razilles Denudes.

i'm not really sure where to go from there, any suggestions?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

lifeloveregret posted:

i'm getting really into old psychadelic. right now i'm listening to Егор и Опизденевшие and Les Razilles Denudes.

i'm not really sure where to go from there, any suggestions?

If you're not yet familiar with Plastic People of the Universe, that should be your next step.

lifeloveregret
Nov 29, 2005

start spreading the news

HAI posted:

If you're not yet familiar with Plastic People of the Universe, that should be your next step.

very cool, thanks. this site looks pretty good, too. http://mickey.tv/charts/?s=Psychedelic+Rock&p=4

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
I discovered Felix Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto yesterday. I am in love with the third movement (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPgqfHYeI0Q), and I'm looking for pieces by Mendelssohn or other classical artists that sound similar. I love the energy, the sense of bitter-sweetness, the emotional piquancy of the concerto...I've never felt so strongly about classical music before.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
been looking for a good band to fill the void left by Hot Snakes and Murder City Devils, any ideas?

Rahlalala
May 25, 2003
yaaay~~~

Kinda looking for other female vocal lead groups in the style like The Pierces. Unique, maybe a hint of folk to it. Any suggestions?

MacGowans Teeth
Aug 13, 2003

I just found a couple of songs by Tim Hardin and Tim Buckley on a compilation ("Reason to Believe" and "Once I Was," respectively), and I'm quite impressed. Buckley has a fantastic voice, especially. Can anyone recommend some songs or entire albums/compilations to check out? From what I've read, Hardin was pretty consistent, but Buckley went over about 50 different directions, and for him in particular, I don't know what's what.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I was wondering if anyone knew of any bands that sounded similar to the Wombats. I listen to lots of Indie Rock and use last.fm a fair bit to find new bands, but who knows, someone here is bound to know of a little gem i've never heard of.

Grahamtams
May 16, 2005

Graham is Our Man
Sorry if this has been asked a thousand times, but I'm really craving something with the same energy as The Blood Brothers. They just get me so PUMPED UP! I already love Horse the Band and Enter Shikari. Light This City has a different sound, but they also get me totally psyched to do programming.

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
I'd love some recommendations for some nice, uplifting songs involving clean, bass-heavy guitar.

Think along the lines of:

A song from 28 Days Later

Agaetis Byrjun

I know it's a pretty obscure recommendation, but I really love that specific sound on the guitar. If you want to throw in anything else particularly uplifting that would be cool too. Would prefer it instrumental only unless it's something like Sigur Ros where the singing blends in and doesn't steal the spotlight.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Hello again recommendation thread.

I was listening to Funkadelic's Maggot Brain last night and realised I have nothing else like it in my collection. What would you guys and girls recommend?

Hehe my first edit spelt it as Fuckadelic.

Ewar Woowar fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Apr 18, 2009

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

KongGeorgeVII posted:

I was wondering if anyone knew of any bands that sounded similar to the Wombats. I listen to lots of Indie Rock and use last.fm a fair bit to find new bands, but who knows, someone here is bound to know of a little gem i've never heard of.

Arctic Monkeys, The Cribs, The Futureheads, Franz Ferdinand. There are lots of bands with a similar sound - it's a whole musical genre.

bumpizza
Feb 11, 2006
I want something like the Distillers.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Who sounds like Operation Ivy and Stray Bullets, especially the latter?

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Ewar Woowar posted:

I was listening to Funkadelic's Maggot Brain last night and realised I have nothing else like it in my collection. What would you guys and girls recommend?

The album right before it, Free Your Mind and Your rear end Will Follow, is probably the most similar. As far as stuff by other artists, Stand! by Sly and the Family Stone and Hendrix's Band of Gypsies have a similar funk/rock sound. As for harder to find stuff there's Eddie Hazel's (Funkadelic guitarist) solo album Game, Dames, and Guitar Thangs and Buddy Miles' (Band of Gypsies drummer) Them Changes.

Owen
Dec 5, 2006

bite the bullet

Ewar Woowar posted:

If you can find "Psycha-Soula-Funkadelic" from The Politicians, it'll be right up your alley. Obviously that band was indebted to Funkadelic but they do some cool stuff.

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

Ewar Woowar posted:

Check out the compilation Chains and Black Exhaust.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Unrelated: What's the best place to start with the Eels?

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

guppy posted:

Unrelated: What's the best place to start with the Eels?

There's a whole thread about Eels here with suggestions in the OP.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Oh fabulous, thank you.

Macrame Tool
Feb 25, 2006
I'm currently digging Living Dafur and other current music by Mattafix. I've gone to some suggested websites as posted earlier, but haven't found something ethnic that jumps right out at me. if someone can recommend me something I'd be FOREVER grateful.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Ola Ugh posted:

Looking for french accordion songs similiar to the ones on the sountrack for the movie Amelie from Montmartre

Check out:
Hawk and a Hacksaw
Beirut

alcoholiday
Apr 25, 2008
Can anyone recommend albums that sound like Aztec Camera's High Land, Hard Rain, or perhaps even world music precedents for it? I'm open to stuff like Weekend's La Variete with hints of that Spanish style guitar, but another indie band with that kind of sound/influences would be great to hear. (Please no straightforward twee--I want to hear the kind of guitar playing/complex rhythms this album features.)

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

alcoholiday posted:

Can anyone recommend albums that sound like Aztec Camera's High Land, Hard Rain, or perhaps even world music precedents for it? I'm open to stuff like Weekend's La Variete with hints of that Spanish style guitar, but another indie band with that kind of sound/influences would be great to hear. (Please no straightforward twee--I want to hear the kind of guitar playing/complex rhythms this album features.)

Please see:
Sir Richard Bishop (from Sun City Girls)

I highly recommend his album "Fingering the Devil"

note: this is not "indie music," this is very complex Spanish-influenced acoustic guitar work.

hellfaucet fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 20, 2009

alcoholiday
Apr 25, 2008

hellfaucet posted:

Please see:
Sir Richard Bishop (from Sun City Girls)

I highly recommend his album "Fingering the Devil"

note: this is not "indie music," this is very complex Spanish-influenced acoustic guitar work.

I love SCG, but never checked out his solo work. This is really great. I'd still like to hear any more instances of this kind of stuff in a pop context, though.

Magpie13
Jun 30, 2004

Hi All,

I'm going through Grandaddy withdrawal.

What other good 'acoustic guitar + synthesizer' bands are out there?

Concept albums are a plus!

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."

Magpie13 posted:

Hi All,

I'm going through Grandaddy withdrawal.

What other good 'acoustic guitar + synthesizer' bands are out there?

Concept albums are a plus!

This isn't exactly that, but The Books' "Thought For Food" combines acoustic instruments with electronics. And this is probably given, but the Flaming Lips is very similar also.

MalConstant
Mar 16, 2008
Looking for Death Metal bands with a neo-classical approach to it, like As Eden Burns

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

quote:

Also I'd be interested in some ambient music. But all the stuff I find has more going on than I'd like, is there ambient stuff out there that is really really ambient? Maybe even if it was like nature sounds (river running) + a little bit of something else? That sounds ideal if it exists

What you will want is the Hearts of Space radio program. Think of it like a weekly mix cd released by the granddaddy of all ambient labels, except it's just one guy picking a bunch of great stuff. He'll play Steve Roach, Kevin Braheny, Michael Stearns, Brian Eno, Robert Rich (who started out playing 8 hour long sleep concerts), and other masters of classic ambient. Some of the shows are straight-up electronic ambient and some stray into choral music, classical organs, native american flutes, and so on. It's not all strictly ambient but much of it is, and no matter which week you're listening it's not going to be distracting music. I've only recently gotten into it, but I'd recommend #34 - Mission Apollo and #808 - Atlas Dei to start. If you sign up on the website you'll get access to a free streamed episode from the archives and you can also listen to the week's new episode from late saturday to late sunday. A monthly fee will get you access to the whole archive spanning a few decades.

swampland posted:

Hi, seeking sprawling, disturbing, disjointed albums. The kind that will keep you up at night and half stop your heart.

Along the lines of, say: The Drift by Scott Walker, From Her to Eternity by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Locust Abortion Technician by the Butthole Surfers.

Basically as if I were a submissive and sought a master album to completely overwhelm and debase me.
I recommend Coil basically anywhere it's remotely appropriate, but it seems to work well here. They're an early industrial group (think Throbbing Gristle rather than NIN). The album Horse Rotorvator was inspired by a vision of the four horsemen of the apocalypse dismounting, killing their horses, and building a kind of large tiller from the bones. There are songs named The Anal Staircase and Circles of Mania to satisfy the disjointed requirement, and Blood From The Air conjures the disturbing aesthetic. Watch out for a cover of Leonard Cohen's Who By Fire in there too. I'll put my reputation on the line by saying that this album is a perfect fit for your request, even if you don't end up liking it. That you used the submissive/master analogy is just the icing on the cake, as I think Coil would find it very appropriate.

EpicHero
Sep 9, 2006

the last signal... posted:

I know it's a pretty obscure recommendation, but I really love that specific sound on the guitar. If you want to throw in anything else particularly uplifting that would be cool too. Would prefer it instrumental only unless it's something like Sigur Ros where the singing blends in and doesn't steal the spotlight.

Mogwai does quite a bit of this. I'd check out Young Team, their premier album and arguably the most influential post-rock album of all time. If you like it and it's not off-base from what you're looking for, report back and I will give you more suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
I'm looking for indie / electro mixed sets, stuff along the lines of Pillowface And His Airplane Chronicles. Any album or DJ recomendations?