Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

I'm thinking of picking this up, but I wanted to clarify, is the PVP something you can turn off? So if I've just started and want to prevent max level uber sock king with sword of insta death chain gibbing me over and over again, that's possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Feenix posted:

ok, I have the mother of all questions...

where the gently caress did "This is Harsh. Evaluate me..." come from.

I saw it as the subtitle of this thread and figured it was an inside joke. Now I see it EVERYWHERE in bloodstain texts....

If you drop a message and somebody rates it (by pressing the Select button when over the message, and choosing "rate"), you get your HP restored (wherever you are). So that particularly message is asking for you to give the guy who wrote it a break and help him out with a rating so he gets HP.

LordVorbis posted:

I'm thinking of picking this up, but I wanted to clarify, is the PVP something you can turn off? So if I've just started and want to prevent max level uber sock king with sword of insta death chain gibbing me over and over again, that's possible?

You can only be invaded by a black phantom (and thereby forced into PVP) when you are in body form. Nobody can invade you while you are in soul form (which is how you're going to spend most of the game, in all likelihood. So that covers most situations, and then if you want to be in body form and not risk invasion by a black phantom, you can just disable the network adapter in the PS3 (or pull the ethernet cord) and play the game in offline mode.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

McCoy Pauley posted:

You can only be invaded by a black phantom (and thereby forced into PVP) when you are in body form. Nobody can invade you while you are in soul form (which is how you're going to spend most of the game, in all likelihood. So that covers most situations, and then if you want to be in body form and not risk invasion by a black phantom, you can just disable the network adapter in the PS3 (or pull the ethernet cord) and play the game in offline mode.
I assume Body form is something you that won't be worth considering till you're much further in the game? Thats good to know :) (I use wifi :cry:)

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

LordVorbis posted:

I assume Body form is something you that won't be worth considering till you're much further in the game? Thats good to know :) (I use wifi :cry:)

Don't worry too much about invaders - there's reasonably strict level caps on invasions (until you're 100+, which won't be until the end of the game or into New Game+ if you don't farm too many souls later on). You might get someone invading with good weaponry, but it's not going to be someone who hit the 99 stat cap across the board or anything.

You'll spend most of your time in soul form the first game because you're going to be dying a lot - whenever you kill a boss (or invade someone else) you get revived, but then you're likely to get smacked down in the next level you're exploring, and it's not worth wasting your Ephemeral Eyes stones when you're not sure what to expect.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

LordVorbis posted:

In the game, you're either in body form (meaning you have 100% of your HP, can be invaded, and can summon blue phantoms to help you) or in soul form (which means 50% of your HP -- although the Cling Ring makes it 75% -- and you can invade as a Black Phantom or provide co-op help as a Blue Phantom -- which you can't do in body form). You start the tutorial in body form, and end up in soul form when you start 1-1.

Whenever you die in body form (or soul form, for that matter) you respawn in soul form. You get back to body form by killing bosses (or helping out to kill a boss in co-op) or from using a Stone of Ephemeral Eyes (which you'll find throughout the game).

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Are drop rates any better in NG+? I'm trying to farm spiderstone and it's not going too fast.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
So all the heavier armors say something to the effect of "Stamina regeneration is slowed"

I did some testing, and I didn't notice any difference between wearing light armor or heavy armor when equip weight is less then 50%. Is this another poor translation?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

dis astranagant posted:

Are drop rates any better in NG+? I'm trying to farm spiderstone and it's not going too fast.

I'm not sure, but I believe they're better with 100% Black Tendency, and having the Large Sword of Searching definitely helps drop rates, if you haven't used that soul for something else yet.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

It appears to be sold out in all the links in the OP, anyone know of a site that'll ship to the UK that isn't on back order?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

dis astranagant posted:

If you aren't there already, the tunnel in 2-2 filled with miners is the best place to get Spiderstone if you have 100% Pure Black and a Large Sword of Searching. It took me 2 hours to make a +5 Viscious Bow starting from scratch.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

LordVorbis posted:

It appears to be sold out in all the links in the OP, anyone know of a site that'll ship to the UK that isn't on back order?

Some guy was talking about sending out a bunch of Korean versions for goons. I forget if it was in this thread or the PS3 Games thread. Check around, maybe he hasn't shipped yet or something. Otherwise it's eBay for you.

ssug
Feb 13, 2008
Oh man... I'm blind. This is awesome!
Ok, loving this game so far. It feels near perfect.

HOWEVER... I knew I could walk off edges to my death and all, but on 1-1(?) right after you kill the blue-eyed knight in front of the fog door on the battlements, you go through and down some steps and there is a pit to your left of sorts and a low wall/walkway on your side. I just move over to the edge to get a look down, you know maybe throw down a firebomb or somthing, and what does my guy do? He launches himself over the wall and down 2 stories right in the middle of 5 guys or so. Death.

Really? I can't even get near the edge of a low wall without him triggering a launch-over-wall animation to my death? did I hit some button by mistake?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Policenaut posted:

If you aren't there already, the tunnel in 2-2 filled with miners is the best place to get Spiderstone if you have 100% Pure Black and a Large Sword of Searching. It took me 2 hours to make a +5 Viscious Bow starting from scratch.

That's where I'm farming. I have Pure Black world and character tendency, 23 luck, and the Large Sword of Searching. I have enough chunks to make the bow, but splinters don't seem to like me

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

dis astranagant posted:

That's where I'm farming. I have Pure Black world and character tendency, 23 luck, and the Large Sword of Searching. I have enough chunks to make the bow, but splinters don't seem to like me

Try the shortcut tunnel in 1-1.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro

ssug posted:

Really? I can't even get near the edge of a low wall without him triggering alaunch-over-wall animation to my death? did I hit some button by mistake?
Yeah, this happened to me too. I'm not sure what's up, because later when I actually DID want to hop up on to the same ledge I fell off before, the game was having none of it. I managed to find another way over the ledge again later but I certainly wasn't doing anything remotely like I did the first time I accidentally went over. I'm just chalking it up to a bug. I haven't had it happen again yet.

edit: if I am following your description correctly, I think we both went over in about the same place

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

ssug posted:

HOWEVER... I knew I could walk off edges to my death and all, but on 1-1(?) right after you kill the blue-eyed knight in front of the fog door on the battlements, you go through and down some steps and there is a pit to your left of sorts and a low wall/walkway on your side. I just move over to the edge to get a look down, you know maybe throw down a firebomb or somthing, and what does my guy do? He launches himself over the wall and down 2 stories right in the middle of 5 guys or so. Death.

Really? I can't even get near the edge of a low wall without him triggering a launch-over-wall animation to my death? did I hit some button by mistake?

There are very few vaultable walls in the game. In that particular spot you're supposed to vault over and find a gold armored NPC who asks you to clear the pit below, but it sounds like you may have just gone too far.

Also, when you find that NPC, backstab him so he falls into the pit. He will stand up and kill all of the enemies down there, then turn around and reward you for clearing the area.

Slab_Bulkhead
Mar 17, 2009
Do unused Demon's Souls carry over to ng+? For example, I'd like to use Old Hero's soul to make the sword of searching, but I don't have the ore for it and don't feel like farming this run through.

Drakkarim
May 4, 2005

Slab_Bulkhead posted:

Do unused Demon's Souls carry over to ng+? For example, I'd like to use Old Hero's soul to make the sword of searching, but I don't have the ore for it and don't feel like farming this run through.

Yes but you'll have to give the Flamelurker soul to the blacksmith again.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Am I remembering this wrong, or is there a colorless demon's soul that can just be found as a treasure somewhere in 1-1 (somewhere in the area where Executioner Miralda is)? I could have sworn I picked one up with an earlier character, but I just did that part with a new character and didn't find anything.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

McCoy Pauley posted:

Am I remembering this wrong, or is there a colorless demon's soul that can just be found as a treasure somewhere in 1-1 (somewhere in the area where Executioner Miralda is)? I could have sworn I picked one up with an earlier character, but I just did that part with a new character and didn't find anything.

It's located in the tower Miralda hangs out in, on one of those rafters below the entrance. It's a bit of a tricky jump though

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Policenaut posted:

It's located in the tower Miralda hangs out in, on one of those rafters below the entrance. It's a bit of a tricky jump though

Right -- that's the one. Thanks.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Jesus gently caress how do I kill Old King Doran? I can't even summon help.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
I know it's possible by just making him swing and evade. Just one mistake however would make him instakill me, so I ended up cheesing him with a bow. If you get him to follow you back to the last spot that had normal soldiers he'll turn his back and start walking back till he's on the bridge again - use this time to backstab / fire arrows in his back.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Fuzz posted:

Jesus gently caress how do I kill Old King Doran? I can't even summon help.

Equip a Thief Ring, get close enough to cast a spell, use Death Cloud, stand there for about 3 minutes until he dies.

King Gonorrhea
Feb 11, 2008

Son of Ass Pharaoh
I beat Phalanx, and then accidentally stumbled into tower knight while I was still soul level 8. I teleported back to the nexus, and after fighting around I've gone up to soul level 20 or so, but I still can't figure out how to damage tower knight, and I don't feel strong enough to get through 2-1, 3-1, or 4-1 (haven't tried 5-1). Apparently I need my hand held more than I thought I would when I first found this thread and thought the game sounded awesome, haha.

JGTheSpy
Jul 31, 2002
Excuse me, but if I could have a moment of your time, I'd like to explain why you're not actually enjoying that game that you're enjoying. You see, I am in fact an expert. At games. I know, it's impressive.

King Gonorrhea posted:

I beat Phalanx, and then accidentally stumbled into tower knight while I was still soul level 8. I teleported back to the nexus, and after fighting around I've gone up to soul level 20 or so, but I still can't figure out how to damage tower knight, and I don't feel strong enough to get through 2-1, 3-1, or 4-1 (haven't tried 5-1). Apparently I need my hand held more than I thought I would when I first found this thread and thought the game sounded awesome, haha.

Bring a bow and about 50 arrows and snipe him from the spots where the crossbow dudes stand. Make sure you wait until he's about to shoot laser beams at you before you fire or you'll just hit his shield. Alternatively, hit the back of his feet.

You're definitely strong enough for at least 2-1. All you need is a spear.

edit: Everyone who just got the game do this. Get a bow, keep your arrows stocked, get a damage spell, get an mp regen item as soon as you can, and try to keep multiple weapons with different damage types on you at all times. Some weapons do different types of damage based on which button you press so read the drat wiki. Most of your problems can be solved with a bow or a weapon with a different damage type. Also get Heal once you have mp regen because you're going to run out of healing items unless you're really good.

JGTheSpy fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Apr 19, 2009

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Policenaut posted:

Equip a Thief Ring, get close enough to cast a spell, use Death Cloud, stand there for about 3 minutes until he dies.

Don't have Death Cloud. :smith:

I need help beating 1-4 at SL 82, but no one is on IRC. :smithicide:

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
Yeah, the False King is one of those bosses where it almost seems impossible to win alone. Having 1 or 2 others really helps in keeping his back turned to atleast someone who can sneak some hits in. Unfortunately, the risk of soul drain would deter some people I imagine.

Squint
Jul 14, 2007

Extremely Not Bad
The False King is definitely doable by yourself; Fuzz is talking about Old King Doran.

Doran doesn't have any gimmicks aside from being able to dish out and take insane amounts of damage. In my opinion, it's the most difficult stand-up fight in the game by a huge margin.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007

Fuzz posted:

Don't have Death Cloud. :smith:

I need help beating 1-4 at SL 82, but no one is on IRC. :smithicide:

I found the best way to beat Doran was with projectiles and a thief ring, since one hit and you're basically dead. Lure him out by the catapults, and either lock-on bow him or use soul light. He won't heal if he's too far from his spawn, and will instead try and walk back.

If you still need help on 1-4, I've got a guy who is SL 112 who I don't mind de-leveling.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Hackan Slash posted:

I found the best way to beat Doran was with projectiles and a thief ring, since one hit and you're basically dead. Lure him out by the catapults, and either lock-on bow him or use soul light. He won't heal if he's too far from his spawn, and will instead try and walk back.

If you still need help on 1-4, I've got a guy who is SL 112 who I don't mind de-leveling.

Out of interest how do you de-level, or is it just a case of being hit by soulsucker over and over?

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007

Thievery posted:

Out of interest how do you de-level, or is it just a case of being hit by soulsucker over and over?

If you die as a BP to anything that is not a player (Falling, Dragon fire, etc), you lose one point from your highest attribute. You also lose it if the host enters the boss fight before you kill him, which is a pain.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

Hackan Slash posted:

If you die as a BP to anything that is not a player (Falling, Dragon fire, etc), you lose one point from your highest attribute. You also lose it if the host enters the boss fight before you kill him, which is a pain.

I don't think it's necessarily the highest attribute. I got knocked off the environment once as a BP, and I lost the point from the Luck attribute, which was at 14 at the time. My highest one, though, was Strength, which was at 19.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ssug posted:

R2 button is hyper sensitive (as is L2) and that can cause you to do a forward lunge attack which is (and has been for me) MORE than enough to send me hurtling down... :)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I found a way to gimmick Doran, but it's only good up to getting Demonbrand. If you want to actually kill him, you're poo poo out of luck.

After opening the door, back away all the wall of the balcony, take out a bow and shoot him in the head. (I used a Lava Bow) Might take more than one, but he'll start strafing from side to side and wandering around. After that just move in and he'll just pace around and you can basically wail on him with any long weapon and R2 (I was using a Blueblood) and he'll just keep rolling away from you every time you hit. Eventually he'll tell you to just take the sword.

Now, after that if you want to kill him, poo poo if I know... I tried that setup again and as soon as I moved in to try it again he hit me in the face and I died.

If anyone can help me with 1-4 tonight, (and some dragon killing, if you want) I'll be on later... probably around 10pm-ish EDT.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Whats the trick to the spear thrusters with the widebrim hats? They always seem to trade an attack on me with like instant reaction, even if they were hit.

Gay Rumsfeld
Nov 12, 2006

Feenix posted:

Whats the trick to the spear thrusters with the widebrim hats? They always seem to trade an attack on me with like instant reaction, even if they were hit.

Let them hit you once and counterattack as they're knocked back by your shield. Only try to hit them once - they'll jump on your rear end if you try any more.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Nick Biped posted:

I don't think it's necessarily the highest attribute. I got knocked off the environment once as a BP, and I lost the point from the Luck attribute, which was at 14 at the time. My highest one, though, was Strength, which was at 19.
Pretty sure it takes back whatever you last upgraded, ie. literally loses you your last soul level

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Fuzz posted:

Now, after that if you want to kill him, poo poo if I know... I tried that setup again and as soon as I moved in to try it again he hit me in the face and I died.

Hamburger Test posted:

If you get him to follow you back to the last spot that had normal soldiers he'll turn his back and start walking back till he's on the bridge again - use this time to backstab / fire arrows in his back.

Hackan Slash posted:

As long as you don't get greedy this is totally workable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

On an aside, I loving loathe the high level Japanese players. The vast majority of them use the same twinky gear, and out of 14 attempted invasions to try and get my black character tendency up last night, 12 of them disconnected as soon as I cast Anti-Magic field. The other two fights were me vs. at least 2 people, both of which cast Acid Fog nonstop on me and broke all my poo poo. This is what prompted me to swap over to Anti-Magic Field.

• Locked thread