Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Odddzy posted:

does anyone think this scene (if relighted) could be put in a reel and I wouldn't have to be too shy about it? I'm still thinking about how I compare to others in the CG world.

In addition to the lighting I would take another shot at your material definition and I'd grunge up the scene, too. Your water is by your admission weak, the whole scene is very uniformly clean, you need to grunge out the corners and stuff and really tie the scene together with the wear. Your metal has a fairly diffused specular it looks like, you'll want to play with that some to get it looking better, but your lighting will have a lot of play with that, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

EoinCannon posted:

Heintje, those are some cool demo scenes
I've had a look at houdini and.... whoosh, straight over my head.
I can only just work out simple PFlows in MAX :)
As I'm trying to be a modeler, I assume I won't have to use it too much, but it's cool seing what it can do.

An anatomy study
4-5 hours spent so far

This is really good except everything from the waist down, while in proportion to itself, actually looks slightly too small in proportion to the rest of the body. Other than that it looks great.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.

I painted a new 'stache texture. I think he may be done........ Maybe? I'll probably still tweak him later. Quick photoshop cutout of the background because he was losing definition in the black. That's why it may be ragged in palces.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BonoMan posted:

This is really good except everything from the waist down, while in proportion to itself, actually looks slightly too small in proportion to the rest of the body. Other than that it looks great.

Wow, you're 100% right. Thanks for the fresh eyes, I scaled the legs up and it looks heaps better. Thanks a lot.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Hackuma posted:

That houdini stuff is pretty neat. Can you adjust the elasticity or something? In the high poly shot it looks like the car is made out of rubber.

You can adjust spring strength, if I recall it's similar to a cloth simulation. Mind you it'll only get you so far before you start having to hand tweak things.

I haven't seen a good car crash impact that was entirely convincing come out of a raw simulation yet, its a fine balance between looking like rubber and looking like a mess of sharp degenerated polygons.

Often times you'll need to rig a car/truck/etc that's being torn apart to augment the simulation.

Often times violent impacts are so fast you never really see the transition and you can use a blend shape instead.

We were experimenting with using houdini 9 with this [in the past we hand did things with simulation for secondary animation] but we didn't really get anywhere in time for use with our last project so we did it the old school way.

I'll probably bust out my old test I did [tractor trailer collision/disintegration] and try to do it again as a home test in houdini 10 this summer.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
An update on my anatomy study
Today's lesson for me was entitled "being productive whilst suffering a hangover"
The feet need work especially

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Looking good Eoin.

BigKOfJustice posted:

Ah, I see. Yeah, it definitely looks better on the ones that happen pretty fast.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you

BigKOfJustice posted:

You can adjust spring strength, if I recall it's similar to a cloth simulation. Mind you it'll only get you so far before you start having to hand tweak things.

I haven't seen a good car crash impact that was entirely convincing come out of a raw simulation yet, its a fine balance between looking like rubber and looking like a mess of sharp degenerated polygons.

Often times you'll need to rig a car/truck/etc that's being torn apart to augment the simulation.

Often times violent impacts are so fast you never really see the transition and you can use a blend shape instead.

We were experimenting with using houdini 9 with this [in the past we hand did things with simulation for secondary animation] but we didn't really get anywhere in time for use with our last project so we did it the old school way.

I'll probably bust out my old test I did [tractor trailer collision/disintegration] and try to do it again as a home test in houdini 10 this summer.

I haven't tried ncloth or the cloth from H9.5, but the new model is physically based and calculates sim results by taking a point and it's interconnecting topology, then measuring stretch, shear and bend for the initial substep. Then depending on how much it has deformed in those directions, it will introduce forces to sort of "push" the cloth back towards it's rest state, the strength of the force is defined by a stiffness parameter. As it loops through substeps it moves closer towards a more accurate result, then terminates and that's your frames result.

Then there's other stuff in there like damping (how fast the forces diminish as they propagate from point to point in the topo), plastic flow threshholds (the point at which plastic deformation kicks in), plastic flow rates (how 'fast' the plasticy material will now adapt and remember it's new state), aaaaand a bunch of others to do with tearing, hardening etc.

All those properties aren't just defined for the mesh as is, but are defined as a modifier to the stretch, shear and bend behaviours/measurements. So you can have things that don't stretch (ala cloth) but are very bendy. For the car it has a very, very high stiffness and damping, with some leeway in stretch, multiplied by the painted value which defines softer areas- that way the front gets smashed up and the body resists deformation.

Back to my pftrack/syntheyes test. They make me want to hurt things... I have an OK track, it looks fine, but for FUCKS SAKE why is PFtrack loving up every export format in a fantastic way, and making crazy UV layouts for it's camera mapped triangulated royally hosed grids. It's a grid! It's not that hard. Now let me export the drat thing easily too. With it's texture, into a jpg. Yeah that's right. Ugh.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

EoinCannon posted:

An update on my anatomy study

That's a pretty awesome study. I should work on a more realistic male and female model before doing stuff like demon princes, hah.

His wrists seem too thick in my opinion, or maybe it's just the rotation and pose of the hands.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks guys

Akaikami, you're right, the wrists are pretty wonky. The muscle kind of curves wrongly. I decided to try and model with the palm twisted around to get a better idea of how the muscles on the forearm work rather than the usual way of having them flat and pinned to the forearm. It's harder than I thought it would be.

If you (or anyone for that matter) wants a copy of the ztool for this dude to have a look at I don't mind sending one out. I'm not pretending it's awesome and it's not finished or correct but it might be of some use for your DW character.

kholdstayr
Dec 7, 2002
Revenge is a dish best served Khold
I've been playing around with Blender 3D over the weekend and I am working on this image:

The glass of OJ is kind of hosed up towards the bottom. I am a 3D Newbie though so I am pretty happy with this image. I haven't done much with Blender before other than making a few simple chess pieces and experimenting with some of the features.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

kholdstayr posted:

I've been playing around with Blender 3D over the weekend and I am working on this image:

The glass of OJ is kind of hosed up towards the bottom. I am a 3D Newbie though so I am pretty happy with this image. I haven't done much with Blender before other than making a few simple chess pieces and experimenting with some of the features.

The glass is WAY WAY too thick. That's what is causing the odd refraction. Also the bowl and spoon quality seem poor compared to everything else, and the milk comes off as some sort of torn paper thing (around the spoon). But it's gettin' there! The milk and cereal in the bowl look nice.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Did you use a fluid sim or something for the orange juice? The bottom looks really odd.

kholdstayr
Dec 7, 2002

SynthOrange posted:

Did you use a fluid sim or something for the orange juice? The bottom looks really odd.

Yeah I was playing around with the fluid sim for that. I am not really sure how to make an orange juice object that fills the cup nicely enough.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
I'm finally starting to model! Like an idiot I decided that I'm going to teach myself maya via modeling a rally car. I'm hopefully going to be able to dump many many hours into it tonight and get a decent blocked out model of it tonight.

Starting issues are mainly being stupid and creating double verts on top of each other which I have to go in and find later because it fucks up my planes connectivity. I had a huge edge flow issue at first since I didn't understand it at all, but a friend of mine explained it to me so it's getting a bit better and cleaner.

Also modeling is stupidly fun!

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

kholdstayr posted:

Yeah I was playing around with the fluid sim for that. I am not really sure how to make an orange juice object that fills the cup nicely enough.

Take the interior of your juice glass, duplicate it, flip the normals, and work from there :)

Aslan Bebop
Jul 3, 2008

Hipness is not a state of mind, It's a fact of life!

Unexpected EOF posted:

When I think overhaul, I think "tear it all down, rebuild." Not THIS:

Click here for the full 1280x1024 image.

That's not what my Max 2010 looks like. How did you get that? Also, somebody said something about alternative color schemes. Where is that option?

This is what mine looks like:

Click here for the full 1280x964 image.

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002

Kid-A posted:

That's not what my Max 2010 looks like. How did you get that? Also, somebody said something about alternative color schemes. Where is that option?

Not sure about 2010, but in earlier versions it's in: Customize -> Custom UI and defaults switcher... -> ame-dark

kholdstayr
Dec 7, 2002

Sigma-X posted:

Take the interior of your juice glass, duplicate it, flip the normals, and work from there :)

I kind of messed up the inside of the glass though too, its kind of weird and pointy on the bottom despite using smoothing which adds to the problem. I remodeled the glass by using the "rotate" feature in Blender, which I think might correspond to the "lathe" feature in other programs. I made the orange juice object from the same lathe object so everything is consistent now. I will post a render later.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
Question for my sanity. Tonight I was enlightened after getting used to block modeling to the create polygon tool in maya. Is there any downside to useing create polygon instead of straight box modeling a car. I kept on trucking with the box modeling but I figure create polygon could potentially save me a lot of time.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Kid-A posted:

That's not what my Max 2010 looks like.

Theres 2 versions, you on design?

kholdstayr
Dec 7, 2002
Here is another render:

I slightly changed the lighting and remade the glass/orange juice objects. I also modified the spoon's material a little. I haven't changed the milk that is flying off of the spoon yet.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The only thing that looks off now is the bowl, which looks more cartoony. The glass' walls look a little thin, though that might be due to a lack of background

kholdstayr
Dec 7, 2002

SynthOrange posted:

The only thing that looks off now is the bowl, which looks more cartoony. The glass' walls look a little thin, though that might be due to a lack of background

Yeah I agree that the bowl kind of sucks. What should I do with the bowl? I used someone's ceramic material from a Blender material website but it doesn't look that good. Should I make the bowl thinner?

kholdstayr
Dec 7, 2002
Here is a lettuce leaf I was messing around with half a year ago in Blender:

The model is pretty simple but it doesn't look that bad with the lettuce texture I took from a real photograph of lettuce. While making it I experimented a little with the vertex displacement modifier in Blender.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

wireframes

Working on a little blobby braintoad character. Common sense would say that I'd really have to retopologize the brain area to get a decent shilouette, but I ignored it anyway and just used displace and turbosmooth modifiers to get around it. Laziness triumphs!

Also ran across this sweet, simple looking short.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Apr 22, 2009

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

^^^ Hahah! Nice character and short! ^^^

kholdstayr: I would say you should definitely make the bowl thinner.

Conceptart.org just sent me an email saying they were looking for video tutorials. Can't find the thread though.

EoinCannon: That study is really coming along. Have you heard anything concrete about the next version of zbrush? 3.5 . . . or 4?

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Update on my demon prince:

http://www.curtisbinder.com/xag_sculpt.jpg

Horns and shader are placeholders. Right now I'm pretty much satisfied with the base anatomy, going to go back in and really make him more demonic, similar to how his head is at the moment.

Any crits or suggestions welcome. He's going to be similar to the middle guy in my concept here: http://www.curtisbinder.com/seven_final.jpg but I'm going to make him much more appealing than my concept.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

kholdstayr posted:

Yeah I agree that the bowl kind of sucks. What should I do with the bowl? I used someone's ceramic material from a Blender material website but it doesn't look that good. Should I make the bowl thinner?

Pretty much, yes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like you're modelling without reference. It's not cheating to just wander over to your kitchen and checking out what the real things look like.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

SynthOrange posted:

Pretty much, yes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like you're modelling without reference. It's not cheating to just wander over to your kitchen and checking out what the real things look like.

Pretty much this, it's fine to use a few basic set pieces to do render tests, but honestly the whole effort will come off as lazy modeling if you don't attempt to match something in reality, especially if you are trying to render something to look real.

Grab a bowl, spoon and glass and measure it.

I'm not saying everything has to be photoreal, I'm just saying start from something grounded in reality. As they say in art school, learn the fundamentals first before breaking the rules in regards to style, same applies to chrome robots, anime chicks, demons and aliens ;).

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I'm curious, has anyone here played around with Imagemodeler? I read in 3D World magazine that while it's nifty, it's got some kinks that need working out, not sure if you guys have thoughts on working with it.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Alan Smithee posted:

I'm curious, has anyone here played around with Imagemodeler? I read in 3D World magazine that while it's nifty, it's got some kinks that need working out, not sure if you guys have thoughts on working with it.

I actually have a tab for that open right now. Our tensile fabric division is looking for something to assist in architectural reference modeling, and the director came to me with that and PhotoModeler. I'm really partial to Autodesk since we use AMD, Max, and Inventor already, so I think I'm going to grab the ImageModeler trial and try it out this weekend.

I'd like to hear anyone else's experience with it, or any other photogrammetry ware as well.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
^^^ PFtrack makes me want to kill things. Here is a frame from a camera mapping system I'm making up:

And here the cloth picks up UVs constantly via the camera plane for the polys that are still sitting on the ground, and when they start moving it makes it static. It's a bit smeary but the theory is there:

What this means is that since I have stored the frame that a poly starts to move off the ground, as an attribute for the points on it, I should be able to texture the polys with the frame sequence. That way I get the optimal camera map/texture as each poly leaves the ground. Plus I can go back and change the simulation and it will automatically do everything I just said. I can't believe this is (almost) working. ha.

Heintje fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 24, 2009

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Fluent in five foreign tongues!
Grimey Drawer

Heintje posted:

words

I sorta get what you're doing there and it's awesome. I think.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
Here's a render with it working:

At the moment it's only assigning a texture map on a per polygon basis, so there are some jaggies that you'll see on the edges of the 'path' as it floats up. I'm going to have to look at making some kind of insane interpolation thing to smooth that out. So what I have now is a camera mapping system that lets me point the camera at something, stick a plane there, gently caress it up and it automatically looks "correct" as far as mapping the texture onto the deforming stuff.

Of course getting the lighting right, the track and blend thresholds are all another matter. I might be able to get the cloth to tear only on bits of the video that are of a lighter colour, thus the path automatically tears off.

Heintje fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 25, 2009

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

A while ago I posted my first shot at animating to dialog. Here are my second and third assignments, this time with a better rig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt7iKq_EHUc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohdSp3ivKK0&feature=channel_page

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Those are really cool Hackuma, the acting is nice
It seems that the video is a bit choppy on youtube because some of the dialog doesn't qute seem to be in synch.
Awesome work though.

I'm modeling the Catbus from Miyazaki's "My Neighbour Totoro".
I'm no fan of anime but I do like Miyazaki and the pure absurdity and watermelon grin of this character always appealed to me.

I'm hoping to put it in a scene and produce a high res poster.
It started as a basemesh in MAX and most of the actual shaping was done in ZBrush.
I brought it back to MAX 2010 and used the new graphite tools to retopologise it.

I built a simple rig just for posing it, with cleaning up to happen later. This is a test pose, I'm thinking of having him perched on top of a roof, kind of curled around. Paint blockout done in ZBrush, I will be using HairFX to cover him in hair so the colour map is mostly for that.

I've spent probably 8 hours or so to this point.

MAX2010 Screengrab and Wire

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Aw that's cute, and a good likeness. How're Max's retopo tools compared to ZBrush's?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If you're used to polyboost, the retop tools in MAX rock, as they aquired polyboost. The ribbon system is a bit weird for me still but I don't tend to get too set in my ways so any UI changes don't faze me too much.
I've never found ZBrush's retop tools to be very easy to use, as much as I dig that program, retop is something I find much easier with the precision of MAX.

Everyone should work on a model with a huge smile on it's face. It's therapeutic. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sorry, but all I've been staring at for the last few days is this charming little guy.