Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
At the rate sock moves you wont have to wait long for more.

Great projects so far sockington. keep up the great work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Sockington posted:

Our super manly dog.

When my dog rides with me she gets doggles:

Good work as usual. You make me look really, really lazy.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
We have light!

Should make things nicer in the evening hours.

Wired up a temporary toggle switch for testing

More braces.

Getting ready to mount shoplight.

Mounted

Half wired up for today.

No lights.

Lights.

:dance:

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Randi Challenger posted:

When my dog rides with me she gets doggles:

Good work as usual. You make me look really, really lazy.

That an ACD?

ozziegt
Jul 8, 2005

cool under pressure
drat...I've been meaning to upgrade the piddly single bulb in my garage for a while now. I guess you have motivated me to do it.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

ozziegt posted:

drat...I've been meaning to upgrade the piddly single bulb in my garage for a while now. I guess you have motivated me to do it.

I've been walking around the garage with two trouble lights since I moved in (back in October) as my only source of evening illumination.

Holy crap am I thankful for good lighting.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Why'd you recess them again? They're going to be more like spotlights that way. Was it just for over head clearance?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

LloydDobler posted:

Why'd you recess them again? They're going to be more like spotlights that way. Was it just for over head clearance?

Probably to sit flush with the drop ceiling.

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!
Can't say much about the projects other than how impressed I am. On another note, however:

Sockington posted:

drat itchy old fiberglass won't bother me (basically dressed for a type I asbestos removal :v:)

You actually prefer a full-face over a half-face?!? I work with totally toxic chemicals most days of the week, and if I can safely get by with a half-face I would definitely do so. Full-face respirators are so claustrophobic and uncomfortable that I think I would prefer breathing in noxious carcinogens over having to wear one.

Also, anything that you'd need the tyvek suit for? Yeah, get that poo poo out of the way before it gets too much warmer. Tyvek barrier suits hold in enough heat that you wouldn't need that insulation in the winter, and god help you during the Summer months.

poisoned pie
Jan 15, 2005

Can you feel the colors?
For Sockington, working on rusty cars poses a health and safety hazard which he takes very seriously.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

D C posted:

That an ACD?

Yes sir (ma'am?) it is. Out of all the dogs I've owned through the years my ACD is the most loyal of them all. Any particular reason you ask?

Captain Cannabis
Sep 30, 2005

Professional Bongologist

Randi Challenger posted:

Yes sir (ma'am?) it is. Out of all the dogs I've owned through the years my ACD is the most loyal of them all. Any particular reason you ask?

Cool I have an heeler also, indeed good dogs.

I like the lighting system, garage is getting a bit nicer each time.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Wow. You've been doing all this with terrible lighting in your garage? Or was it no lighting at all?

So seeing as you'll be coming into summer now, and you have a well-lit workshop, logic would suggest that we can actually expect you to work even FASTER?

Jesus christ, I can't wait to see what you manage to pull off with this AW11. One of my mates has a widebody track prepped GZE example that has been pretty much DIY'd from stock. It's an amazing car, and I don't think he's nearly as dedicated/hardworking as you are. If you need ideas though, he's pretty much modified everything on that car... full cage, SC14 from a 1G, Adaptronic ECU(controls the supercharger kick-in point too :hawaaaafap: ), roof-mount cooler, wide body with insane track, shortened rear bumper, and probably a heap of stuff I don't know about. I've been round the track in the passenger seat and it just does not want to lose traction. Ever. He's also got a fair bit of experience with turbos on 4A's too if you get stuck on anything.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
I never quite understood why you can't machine a solid pulley for the supercharger rather than the magnetic clutch it has stock.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Kotaru posted:

I never quite understood why you can't machine a solid pulley for the supercharger rather than the magnetic clutch it has stock.

You can. It tuns the SC into a hot-air-blower instantly. A/W is a good route with that setup - or a VERY good A/A intercooler. I think NST makes a kit that does that.

LloydDobler posted:

Engine hoisting for the 10' tall section.
The lower two shoplights were recessed like that for clearance/flushmounting.

The new ceiling will be 7'9". The raised portion a hair under 10'.

Jadius posted:

You actually prefer a full-face over a half-face?!? I work with totally toxic chemicals most days of the week, and if I can safely get by with a half-face I would definitely do so. Full-face respirators are so claustrophobic and uncomfortable that I think I would prefer breathing in noxious carcinogens over having to wear one.

Also, anything that you'd need the tyvek suit for? Yeah, get that poo poo out of the way before it gets too much warmer. Tyvek barrier suits hold in enough heat that you wouldn't need that insulation in the winter, and god help you during the Summer months.

Hahaha, one pair of Tyvek is like being a cooler unit now. Everyday, I've got TWO pairs on with duct tape sealed Tyvek booties. On a normal day, I'm WEARING a full face for at least 3-4hrs daily. Sometimes 7-8hrs+ in the mask on some of the longer days (12hr+ shifts). To think, I have to wear this inside a COAL FIRE POWER GENERATION station gives you an idea of the kind of ambient heat I'm almost always exposed to.

My preference list;
1. 3M PAPR full face
2. North silicone full face
3. North silicone half face

I like me some quality protection. I think I have a dozen sets of P100 filters in the toolbox along with some Defender (painting, etc) filters for the weird poo poo.

Also, I found an old asbestos ceiling tile that day, so it was a good thing I had that poo poo (north full face and Tyvek disposable coveralls) on.

Ah, the wonderful life of asbestos abatement.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Randi Challenger posted:

Just wondering, I (well my family, I moved) have one, such awesome dogs. No one ever knows what he is, they always look at him kinda strange.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I was told the big brown turd in my garage was supposed to get removed this weekend. So, I cleaned it off and waited. I think it might be here a bit longer as I have yet to get a call. :ohdear:

Class.

Speed.

5.7L of fuel sucking power

Also, ran some more supports, mounted my garage door opener, mounted an electrical box, bought some wire, and put in a GFI outlet.

Dammit. I was all excited to have that drat thing out of there.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Wow I was expecting some beat up/rusted mess under the tarp, that looks like its in really good shape. Whats the story behind it?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
My buddy in high school got a pristine silver Delta 88 from his grandmother. I have many fond memories of tooling around in the back of that gigantic land yacht.

From the way you were stacking stuff on it I figured it was beat to poo poo, but I guess the tarp is pretty thick or the paint is tough as hell. :)

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Is it a family member's car or something? I can't think of any other reason I'd let such a vehicle be stored at my house for so long. What seems to be the holdup of having it removed? Has the owner just gotten too used to having it stored for free?

If it were me, I'd park it in the street and let the owner know that you needed the space in the garage and that they can find it in front of your house, but that's entirely depending on your relationship with the owner.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

DropShadow posted:

If it were me, I'd park it in the street and let the owner know that you needed the space in the garage and that they can find it in front of your house, but that's entirely depending on your relationship with the owner.

He's my boss/family-in-law.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

From the way you were stacking stuff on it I figured it was beat to poo poo, but I guess the tarp is pretty thick or the paint is tough as hell. :)

poo poo needed to get done. I tried to be reasonably nice to it.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
In my younger, stupider days we smoked a friends sparking new 90's V8 Mustang in a drag race with a 70's era Delta88. He was mortified. We called it the flying couch :unsmith:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Good news! The garage is pre-wired for 220v! Bad news, this is a mess and needs to get updated with a proper subpanel.

Setup a GFI outlet. One of many.

Cleaned up the connections until I get a subpanel ready.

Hittin' them light up switches.

Still work! No fires! Perfect.

Gotta get some more bulbs to test out the front lights now. Did some more framing.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
If only automotive wiring were as straightforward as household wiring. :emo:

poisoned pie
Jan 15, 2005

Can you feel the colors?
I swapped out a bad lighting fixture in my garage. Like, a single lighting fixture for a normal single bulb light.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Holy poo poo, a Delta 88 with the 5.7L! Don't see too many of those anymore. My mom used to have an `84, drat that thing was a boat.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

neckbeard posted:

Holy poo poo, a Delta 88 with the 5.7L! Don't see too many of those anymore.

Looking to buy one? I've got one in stock.

I've been told hanging a paper bag will help repel wasps.

quote:

"Create the illusion of their natural enemies--hornets. If a wasp flies into an area and sees a hornet's nest it will vacate the area. They realize a full on battle will ensue if they compete. Make your own hornet's nest, take any brown paper bag and blow it up. Tie off one end with a rubber band and hang in a conspicuous area in your yard. "

Hope they're afraid of duct tape too.

Hello Mr. 4AGE.

Goodbye!

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I think one day your garage is going to look like a pick and pull yard.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You mean it doesn't now?

The world's best-lit pick-and-pull but still...

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

Hi, boys and girls, I'm Jimmy Carl Black, and I'm the Indian of the group!
Where abouts are you in Ontario? I could have sworn I saw that MR2 on the road late Thursday night going through Huttonville. But I suppose you would have had to have the car back together to do that...

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sockington posted:

That's interesting, I'll have to give that a try.

So I'm assuming with all the framing you're doing in the garage you plan on insulating and adding a heater for winter months? Whatever you do don't buy any sheetrock that came from China :v:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

DiscoDickTease posted:

Where abouts are you in Ontario? I could have sworn I saw that MR2 on the road late Thursday night going through Huttonville. But I suppose you would have had to have the car back together to do that...

Was it a bright teal one? I saw a guy driving a mint looking teal MR2 around downtown Toronto with the most :smug: expression on his face I've ever seen. Well deserved I think because that MR2 was a perfect little slice of the eighties.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sockington posted:

I've been told hanging a paper bag will help repel wasps.

Your brilliant plan will backfire when the hornets move into your nice new pre-made hornet dwelling.

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

Sockington posted:

Did some more framing.

Am I the only one wondering why you are laying your 2x4 flat like that? It's already starting to bow down.

Edit: \/ looks like you got it covered, just looks strange though. :P

IsaacNewton fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 28, 2009

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

IsaacNewton posted:

Am I the only one wondering why you are laying your 2x4 flat like that? It's already starting to bow down.

Me and my neighbour (who does framing for a living) talked about that. He explained how the wood bows over time. He suggested I add some more supports to prevent any extreme warping. However, most of those boards are getting an extra piece that runs down the length of them on the "thin" side of the new board to take the weight. Basically, make a "T" with the flat spot being on the bottom (and that flat spot would be what I've already put up there).

Really, those are just my screw surface for my plywood. They are measured out to 4' centers with some cross braces inbetween.

KozmoNaut posted:

Your brilliant plan will backfire when the hornets move into your nice new pre-made hornet dwelling.

Thought about that too. These are designed to be temporary, so I'll keep an eye on it until the ceiling is up (when the fake next comes down).

There was a wasps or two just merrily buzzing around in the garage before I put it up. Afterwards, he seemed extremely insistant on leaving the garage through one of the windows. Maybe it does work. :confused:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KozmoNaut posted:

I just had a great mental image of Sock popping the hood and a huge swarm of hornets buzzing out at him.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Yet another use for an AW11's frunk! Bee/wasp keeping!

poisoned pie
Jan 15, 2005

Can you feel the colors?
I'm gonna try this poo poo out, I keep getting loving mason bees in my garage.

I have a rotary engine in parts on my bench. I was fabricating some poo poo the other night and I noticed part of the water jacket on a center plate had been filled in by a mason bee.

BEEEEEEES!!!!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Hey Sock I finally found a 323

One owner, 60k miles for a cool grand. Going to pick it up next week, flying down to Ft Lauderdale and driving it to my brothers in Tampa where it will stay until I move back in Oct. I had credit with Southwest Airlines so said gently caress it, $160 round trip aint poo poo. Most people would think I'm nuts flying to FL for a thousand dollar car haha.

It's an automatic but I don't care, I'll daily drive it until I find a manual V6 MX3 donor and swap everything into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
You better drat well post a thread when you start that hybrid. :colbert:

• Locked thread