Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

How are people here ripping their 'Cube games? Waninkoko's DVD dumper refuses to recognise my external HD (I've made a FAT32 partition) and I can't get the wifi connection going either. Should I just wait for the inevitable GC update to the USB loader?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Captain Sharpie posted:

Waninkoko's DVD dumper refuses to recognise my external HD (I've made a FAT32 partition) and I can't get the wifi connection going either.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that to do anything with a Wii and a hard drive, the hard drive had to have a WBFS partition.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

helopticor posted:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that to do anything with a Wii and a hard drive, the hard drive had to have a WBFS partition.

Well you can use a hard drive with a FAT32 or FAT partition with a Wii for stuff like media players and some emulators. You only need the WBFS partition for Wii Backups (hence the term Wii Backup File System).

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
Oh, I always figured it stood for Wii Brew File System

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Xythar posted:

Oh, I always figured it stood for Wii Brew File System

Me too...

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

You guys think FAT32 formatted drives will be compatible with the USBloader eventually?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

.TakaM posted:

You guys think FAT32 formatted drives will be compatible with the USBloader eventually?

No, because FAT32 has a very hard limit of 4GB. As in, no file could be over 4GB. While many Wii games are less than that, most good ones are over 4GB (Brawl is around 8GB I think).

I suppose the game dumper could make split files but that could get annoying.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

WBFS Gui rev7 is giving me "Run-Time error '9': Subscript out of range" when I tried to load my WBFS partition, nothings changed so I'm pretty :confused:.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

FlyingCheese posted:

No, because FAT32 has a very hard limit of 4GB. As in, no file could be over 4GB. While many Wii games are less than that, most good ones are over 4GB (Brawl is around 8GB I think).

I suppose the game dumper could make split files but that could get annoying.

EXT3 might be possible though, right? That's what the PS2 loader uses, and it'd be nice to be able to fire up a VM of Linux and manage stuff directly.

Irascalopolator
Jun 17, 2003

Code Jockey posted:

EXT3 might be possible though, right? That's what the PS2 loader uses, and it'd be nice to be able to fire up a VM of Linux and manage stuff directly.

What would you want to do that WBFS Manager can't do?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Irascalopolator posted:

What would you want to do that WBFS Manager can't do?

Yeah, good point. I guess in my mind, I figure why adopt yet another format when we could just use an existing one? But yeah, WBFS Manager seems pretty thorough, time to dump the cheesy command line tool I'm using.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

To clarify, I only mentioned FAT32 because that's what the DVD Dumper is (apparently) compatible with. It seems to be okay with my SD card now though so I'm just dumping GC games to that one at a time, then putting them on the PC for packaging up and transferring to the HD. It's a slow and annoying chore but appears to be working.

edit: Okay I now have some Wii ISOs but none of the WBFS GUIs I have will transfer them because they're not Wii games. The only Gamecube multi-ISO combiner I can find only has an option to save as a GC ISO as well. Does anyone who's got this working have any suggestions?

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 20, 2009

a tea tree
Dec 20, 2006

Kirby began to wonder if he shouldn't have just eaten the Nemesis, instead.
I have to send my Wii back in to Nintendo for repairs due to what's basically a video corruption issue. What do I want to be sure to uninstall from my softmodded Wii, besides the Homebrew channel and any VC/WiiWare games I don't actually own?

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

a tea tree posted:

I have to send my Wii back in to Nintendo for repairs due to what's basically a video corruption issue. What do I want to be sure to uninstall from my softmodded Wii, besides the Homebrew channel and any VC/WiiWare games I don't actually own?

Did you have that connect24 feature turned on? It seems like its pretty common for that feature to cause the machine to overheat and damage the GPU. I think its a waste of power so I always leave it off.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Capnbigboobies posted:

Did you have that connect24 feature turned on? It seems like its pretty common for that feature to cause the machine to overheat and damage the GPU. I think its a waste of power so I always leave it off.

They haven't had that problem since the very first batch of Wii's.

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

FlyingCheese posted:

They haven't had that problem since the very first batch of Wii's.

Cool glad its fixed, but my Wii is from one of those first batches I think. I just play it safe and save a few bucks (pennies?) off my power bill on a useless feature.

a tea tree
Dec 20, 2006

That kinda seems to be the issue I'm having here, really; my Wii was purchased in April 2007 and was, I think, manufactured before then.

A couple shots of the issue, for reference:

Slight issues in Super Paper Mario - the issue occurs just under the ceiling texture in the upper left corner, and under the cursor in the menu (it really is more noticeable on the console itself, as I look at it now)

Somewhat more evident issues with No More Heroes - most, if not all, of those vertical lines around Gene's legs are NOT supposed to be there.

And the worst offender by a wide margin, Baroque. This one speaks for itself.

WiiConnect24 has been off for a while now, but I did use the feature in the past. :(

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
That really reminds me of PC graphics card overheating... is the Wii getting warm(er than normal) to the touch? Bad video cables maybe?

a tea tree
Dec 20, 2006

It isn't terribly warm, much less hot, to the touch - even after hours of play. These pictures were taken using the standard composite cables that come with the system; the exact same issues happen when I use S-Video connections.

It's also happened on a number of different displays. I tried to clean out all the fans and connections as best I could (compressed air and a cleaning cloth), which didn't seem to make any sort of difference.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
I wanted to point out that if your an idiot like me and upgraded to 4.0 before it was safe I found this downgrade walk through that is much easier to follow than the other one. http://wiinewz.com/forums/wii-general-discussion/94992-upgraded-to-4-0-and-had-hbc-but-didnt-have-cios-installed.html

I had upgraded to 4.0 and could no longer install any wads, I did these three steps and I can now use wads under 4.0 with no problem at all.

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 21, 2009

evilernLe
Sep 7, 2006
I'm going to eat your face skin.

helopticor posted:

When you hit 1 for "SD CARD BACKUP mode", do you get anything to display? How long should I be waiting for something to happen (if I have a lot of stuff on my memory card)?

It was pretty instant for me. Maybe around 5 seconds or so?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

a tea tree posted:

That kinda seems to be the issue I'm having here, really; my Wii was purchased in April 2007 and was, I think, manufactured before then.

A couple shots of the issue, for reference:

Slight issues in Super Paper Mario - the issue occurs just under the ceiling texture in the upper left corner, and under the cursor in the menu (it really is more noticeable on the console itself, as I look at it now)

Somewhat more evident issues with No More Heroes - most, if not all, of those vertical lines around Gene's legs are NOT supposed to be there.

And the worst offender by a wide margin, Baroque. This one speaks for itself.

WiiConnect24 has been off for a while now, but I did use the feature in the past. :(

If memory serves, this seems to be a terminal problem that some Wiis have, it's red ring, if not more annoying than catastrophic, if you will.
I believe it has, indeed, something to do with the graphics card and, unfortunately, can't be remedied without sending it back to the House of N and from all reports as it's out of the warranty period it's going to skin you $45.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

If memory serves, this seems to be a terminal problem that some Wiis have, it's red ring, if not more annoying than catastrophic, if you will.
I believe it has, indeed, something to do with the graphics card and, unfortunately, can't be remedied without sending it back to the House of N and from all reports as it's out of the warranty period it's going to skin you $45.
This is the size of it. That is typical artifacting for a failing GPU. Theoretically you could ignore it and continue use, but eventually the GPU itself is likely to completely croak. No telling how long that could be. No real solution for it either, short of sending it back to Nintendo.

I would clean off anything that could otherwise be illegitimate and send it in for repairs. Even if you can't use it for homebrew should Nintendo force an update you'll have a functional Wii, and you can save yourself the additional service fee for using unlicensed software on the thing. That is, do it before the GPU completely fails and you have no way to do so.

my dog boyfriend!!
Nov 21, 2008
This is possibly a dumb question, but I'm a techno-tard and I haven't found a clear answer anywhere else, at least not in terms I understand.
My friend and I want to add HBC to her Wii and break the gently caress out of Twilight Princess and have fun this summer. Would Twilight Hack work with my Gamecube copy of TP in her Wii, or do we need to go out and rent a Wii copy for it to work? And then for us to play it in all its delightfully unlocked glory, do we still have to have a Wii copy?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I think the Twilight Hack only works with Wii TP, but the various codes applied through Ocarina are definitely only for Wii: there's no good Gamecube-cheating device / application for the Wii AFAIK. I'd buy a copy of Wii TP, it's not that expensive and some of the Wii features are fun as hell.

a tea tree
Dec 20, 2006

ConanThe3rd posted:

...as it's out of the warranty period it's going to skin you $45.

$75, actually. :s

Thanks for confirming, though.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Ultra Peanut posted:

This is possibly a dumb question, but I'm a techno-tard and I haven't found a clear answer anywhere else, at least not in terms I understand.
My friend and I want to add HBC to her Wii and break the gently caress out of Twilight Princess and have fun this summer. Would Twilight Hack work with my Gamecube copy of TP in her Wii, or do we need to go out and rent a Wii copy for it to work? And then for us to play it in all its delightfully unlocked glory, do we still have to have a Wii copy?
Yes, you need the Wii version because it's exploiting a specific part of the save file system to get the glitch to do something useful.

Once you've installed the Homebrew Channel, though, you do everything through there without the need for any further exploits.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Think he means playing Twilight Princess with hacks. But yeah, once HBC's on there you can frisbee your copy of TP out the window and any homebrew applications will work just as well.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

evilernLe posted:

It was pretty instant for me. Maybe around 5 seconds or so?

As I posted earlier, Nugasa has this dumb property of not doing anything if there's something in a USB slot. It worked instantly for me when I figured that out.

my dog boyfriend!!
Nov 21, 2008

Captain Sharpie posted:

Think he means playing Twilight Princess with hacks. But yeah, once HBC's on there you can frisbee your copy of TP out the window and any homebrew applications will work just as well.

Crikey. Good times ahead. Ta :)

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Now we just need to find a way to put the HBC on systems that are v4 that do not have it yet...

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

TR0LL posted:

Now we just need to find a way to put the HBC on systems that are v4 that do not have it yet...

It's coming...

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

FlyingCheese posted:

It's coming...

So is the second appearance of Jesus and the inevitable death of our sun, Sol. Right now, I'm hoping the second happens soon, as waiting for WiiBrew for my stupidly-updated to 4.0 Wii is making me antsy :P

Ravestory
Jan 28, 2008
Huzzah!
I've been out of the loop with wii homebrew for a few months now so I found some package that was full of everything for updating and cIOSes and all that.

There's a wanikiko program that's supposed to make me update to 4.0 safely, but it fails every time when it gets to the point of downloading the system menu.

I did get the USB loader working and it's quite nice. I've yet to figure out how to get the images on it. It would be greatly appreciated if somebody could tell me how to do so.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Do you have enough space on your SD card? Mine was failing at the same point in the download every time and it turns out, silly me, that was the point that the card would run out of space.

UxP
Aug 27, 2007

Ravestory posted:

I've been out of the loop with wii homebrew for a few months now so I found some package that was full of everything for updating and cIOSes and all that.

There's a wanikiko program that's supposed to make me update to 4.0 safely, but it fails every time when it gets to the point of downloading the system menu.

I did get the USB loader working and it's quite nice. I've yet to figure out how to get the images on it. It would be greatly appreciated if somebody could tell me how to do so.

As its been said before, don't bother with 4.0.

Also, how is anyone backing up GC games? The sd/usb loader v1.5 is yelling at me that GC games are not Wii games. What am I missing?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

UxP posted:

As its been said before, don't bother with 4.0.

Also, how is anyone backing up GC games? The sd/usb loader v1.5 is yelling at me that GC games are not Wii games. What am I missing?

You have to compile them into multi-game Wii ISOs, and the tools for doing so are posted somewhere a few pages back...

UxP
Aug 27, 2007

Code Jockey posted:

You have to compile them into multi-game Wii ISOs, and the tools for doing so are posted somewhere a few pages back...

Ah, found it thanks.

Just an update, I checked out the Wii64 sourcecode last night from their SVN and compiled the development version. It is running absolutely great. With The Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time, I'm getting about 16 fps. Sure, its not some massive, but it is very playable. Sound doesnt work though, but I didnt mess with any settings so that could be an oversight. I'll have to play with it some more tonight.

tv iv is nerds
Feb 26, 2006

by angerbot

UxP posted:

Ah, found it thanks.

Just an update, I checked out the Wii64 sourcecode last night from their SVN and compiled the development version. It is running absolutely great. With The Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time, I'm getting about 16 fps. Sure, its not some massive, but it is very playable. Sound doesnt work though, but I didnt mess with any settings so that could be an oversight. I'll have to play with it some more tonight.

16 FPS is playable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Code Jockey posted:

Yeah, that didn't work for me. When I tried to save the ISO it only gave me the option of saving as a Cube one, which the USB loader doesn't recognise. If anyone has more success let me know.

• Locked thread