Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

McCoy Pauley posted:

Okay -- that makes more sense. Yeah, I should be using my Kris Knife more. You can upgrade it with Colorless Demon's Souls, right?

Yeah. The magic damage on the weapon goes up and so does the power of your spells. I wouldn't use it in pvp, it's a giant sign that says CAST SOUL LIGHT ON ME in big flashing red letters since it loving murders you magic defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

I hate you guys, I am totally HOOKED on this thread. I have not wanted a PS3 since it's been out, and now I'm crying for one, but I just bought a car/new PC so expendable funds are OUT of the question at the moment. :(

I'm afraid that when I DO finally pick it up I'll have no one to play with if the game never makes it to the US. Is there anything out there LIKE this? I mean, I know there's King's Field (which is slow and ugly by today's standards), and I've played Monster Hunter and Oblivion (didn't much like Oblivion, loved Morrowind) Is there anything else out there that's like this? Baroque?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

OxMan posted:

I hate you guys, I am totally HOOKED on this thread. I have not wanted a PS3 since it's been out, and now I'm crying for one, but I just bought a car/new PC so expendable funds are OUT of the question at the moment. :(

I'm afraid that when I DO finally pick it up I'll have no one to play with if the game never makes it to the US. Is there anything out there LIKE this? I mean, I know there's King's Field (which is slow and ugly by today's standards), and I've played Monster Hunter and Oblivion (didn't much like Oblivion, loved Morrowind) Is there anything else out there that's like this? Baroque?

Monster Hunter's about as close as it gets. A new one just came out for the Wii in Japan, so there's always praying for it to come stateside.

Baroque is a very different game, it's a real time roguelike with a timer that'll kill you even if the enemies don't. It also has a very odd method of telling its story, since the MC is amnesiac and most exposition seems to be done during death.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

dis astranagant posted:

I just discovered how amazing the Mirdan Hammer is. It's rather fast, has great reach and is probably the strongest blunt object in the game other than Keel Smasher. Makes farming dragonstone so much easier, if nothing else.
I have been on the recieving end of a polearm beating on my Blueblood using all round scrub several times. So when I decided start over for a more miracle heavy character I went for the Temple Knight who start out with the Halberd, and it's absolutely incredible. I'm currently just over half way through the game and soul level mid thirties and have died exactly two times, both of which because I got overconfident. I farmed the miners in 2-1 till they finally dropped a Mirdan Hammer for me. I have it up to +6 and now I just need to do world 5 so I can make it blessed.

I completely regret the hate I had for the Phosphorescent Pole and I'm considering making a new magic heavy melee character to take full advantage of that. The thing about polearms is they have to be used in two hands, if you try using a shield with the polearm you will die; obvious I know, I just couldn't get over the fact that I'd have to put my shield on my back / remove it completely. However the reach on this thing means you can pretty comfortable run around in heavy armor 90% of the time and almost never actually need to block. The normal attack is also pretty awesome for breaking guard.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Hamburger Test posted:

I have been on the recieving end of a polearm beating on my Blueblood using all round scrub several times. So when I decided start over for a more miracle heavy character I went for the Temple Knight who start out with the Halberd, and it's absolutely incredible. I'm currently just over half way through the game and soul level mid thirties and have died exactly two times, both of which because I got overconfident. I farmed the miners in 2-1 till they finally dropped a Mirdan Hammer for me. I have it up to +6 and now I just need to do world 5 so I can make it blessed.

I completely regret the hate I had for the Phosphorescent Pole and I'm considering making a new magic heavy melee character to take full advantage of that. The thing about polearms is they have to be used in two hands, if you try using a shield with the polearm you will die; obvious I know, I just couldn't get over the fact that I'd have to put my shield on my back / remove it completely. However the reach on this thing means you can pretty comfortable run around in heavy armor 90% of the time and almost never actually need to block. The normal attack is also pretty awesome for breaking guard.
Blessed has 2 very big disadvantages: You can't use sticky white stuff/turpentine/black turpentine with it and it lights you up like a loving christmas tree in pvp. Even stacking with the adjudicator shield you don't regenerate anywhere close to fast enough to matter in most pvp fights. A crushing or even just plain +10 one with one of the consumable damage increasers will hit a LOT harder than blessed.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

dis astranagant posted:

Blessed has 2 very big disadvantages: You can't use sticky white stuff/turpentine/black turpentine with it and it lights you up like a loving christmas tree in pvp. Even stacking with the adjudicator shield you don't regenerate anywhere close to fast enough to matter in most pvp fights. A crushing or even just plain +10 one with one of the consumable damage increasers will hit a LOT harder than blessed.
I plan on making a dragon if I ever want to sneak around in pvp. The whole point of this setup is that I don't really need to sneak though. Eternal Warrior's Ring and Anti Magic Field makes the most annoying players poo poo themselves, and lights me up pretty good anyway. I plan on keeping strength and dex low which renders quality/crushing useless, in general plain +10 is underrated though and it might be worth considering.

I'm worried when you say you can't use sticky white stuff etc since I also plan to get magic/light/cursed weapon down the line and I'm not sure if that would be useless too.

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.
Anyone got any ideas for interesting character archetypes? I've got a heavy melee and an offensive magic user, and I want to start a new character that'll play a bit differently from these two. I'm thinking about a dex based backstabber, but I'm not sure how viable that will be late game. Also considering a miracle based fighter, I don't know if miracles will be versatile enough to base a play style on though. This talk of polearms has got me interested, I've never really used one with one of my other chars.

Anything else I could consider?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Hamburger Test posted:

I plan on making a dragon if I ever want to sneak around in pvp. The whole point of this setup is that I don't really need to sneak though. Eternal Warrior's Ring and Anti Magic Field makes the most annoying players poo poo themselves, and lights me up pretty good anyway. I plan on keeping strength and dex low which renders quality/crushing useless, in general plain +10 is underrated though and it might be worth considering.

I'm worried when you say you can't use sticky white stuff etc since I also plan to get magic/light/cursed weapon down the line and I'm not sure if that would be useless too.

Even keeping them just low enough to equip everything will give you a pretty massive bonus with a crushing one. The +damage from stats function seems to be a bit front loaded, since my 30/30 str/dex character has +116 damage from stats with a +10 mirdan hammer, which is well over half the value listed on the wiki for one at max stats. The base damage will be considerably less, but don't underestimate the power of +5 crushing on a 2h weapon.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

dis astranagant posted:

Even keeping them just low enough to equip everything will give you a pretty massive bonus with a crushing one. The +damage from stats function seems to be a bit front loaded, since my 30/30 str/dex character has +116 damage from stats with a +10 mirdan hammer, which is well over half the value listed on the wiki for one at max stats. The base damage will be considerably less, but don't underestimate the power of +5 crushing on a 2h weapon.
14/12 which was my starting stats are enough for my main weapon. With one more point in strength I can use the compound longbow, which will be what I am aiming for in the short run. My only use for shields would be for closing distance with archers (any 100% shield) or stats while hanging on my back; so I don't really care about upping strength or dexterity beyond that. If I stick with this character long enough I may end up dumping more points in those stats, but from my other playthroughs both of those stats seem really lackluster.

My only real worry is as I mentioned the ability to temporarily boost the weapon.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Hamburger Test posted:

14/12 which was my starting stats are enough for my main weapon. With one more point in strength I can use the compound longbow, which will be what I am aiming for in the short run. My only use for shields would be for closing distance with archers (any 100% shield) or stats while hanging on my back; so I don't really care about upping strength or dexterity beyond that. If I stick with this character long enough I may end up dumping more points in those stats, but from my other playthroughs both of those stats seem really lackluster.

My only real worry is as I mentioned the ability to temporarily boost the weapon.

Go +10 then, that gives you the best base damage. Not real sure why you wouldn't spring for the White Bow, since it has better base damage than you're gonna get out of the other bows.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

dis astranagant posted:

Go +10 then, that gives you the best base damage. Not real sure why you wouldn't spring for the White Bow, since it has better base damage than you're gonna get out of the other bows.
If I had to raise stats all the way to 20/24 a properly upgraded compound would likely beat it anyway - quality +5 is definitely better for my 30/24 all rounder.

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Apr 22, 2009

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
Quick question, I read that this game doesn't have a pause feature, nor does it pause when you open the XMB. How do you guys get around this? My lifestyle isn't really conducive to an hour or more of uninterrupted gaming. Does the game save all the time? Can I just quit and start again pretty much where I left off, or will I start back in the hub or whatever everytime I start up again?

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Armed Neutrality posted:

Quick question, I read that this game doesn't have a pause feature, nor does it pause when you open the XMB. How do you guys get around this? My lifestyle isn't really conducive to an hour or more of uninterrupted gaming. Does the game save all the time? Can I just quit and start again pretty much where I left off, or will I start back in the hub or whatever everytime I start up again?
If you quit in a level it will save your progress in that level, and you will return to the same spot. Once you become familiar with the levels they aren't really that long, most can be completed in 10-15 minutes - and you will get familiar with them when rerunning them to get to the boss.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Okay, after having played the game for a week or so, I'm starting to wonder one thing.

This game is amazingly good, I mean, Game of the Year good. Why the hell isn't it going to be released in the US? The translation is already ready for a North America Release, and certainly if it was released in the states a fuckton of people would play it. I think this is probably going to end up being the best RPG on the PS3. Wouldn't they want to roll in the mad cash?

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
I just got through testing which of the weapons I have access to can have temporary buffs and it just seems to be completely random. For example Meat Cleaver and Brand can be buffed but Istarelle not. Makoto can't be buffed but Gripless can. Crescent, Blessed and Dragon all cannot be buffed.

Squint
Jul 14, 2007

Extremely Not Bad

MrKnowitall posted:

Why the hell isn't it going to be released in the US? The translation is already ready for a North America Release, and certainly if it was released in the states a fuckton of people would play it. I think this is probably going to end up being the best RPG on the PS3. Wouldn't they want to roll in the mad cash?

The potential cash isn't as mad as you might think. As always, the bottom line reveals the truth. This game appeals to a rather narrow section of RPG gamers, not to mention gamers overall. Also, the cost of importation, true localization, and advertising in a market as large as North America would cut deep into likely shallow profits.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Squint posted:

The potential cash isn't as mad as you might think. As always, the bottom line reveals the truth. This game appeals to a rather narrow section of RPG gamers, not to mention gamers overall. Also, the cost of importation, true localization, and advertising in a market as large as North America would cut deep into likely shallow profits.

it's FULLY localized though, aside from Boxart and Manual.

I will agree though that they'd probably have to make a difficulty slider for the mainstream american audience.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Hamburger Test posted:

I just got through testing which of the weapons I have access to can have temporary buffs and it just seems to be completely random. For example Meat Cleaver and Brand can be buffed but Istarelle not. Makoto can't be buffed but Gripless can. Crescent, Blessed and Dragon all cannot be buffed.

Istarelle does magic damage, so it can't have an added effect, just like a Crescent weapon or the Blueblood sword. Makoto has an added Bleed parameter to it, so it's already enchanted.

It's not random at all, look at the stats of the actual weapons. Anything that already does either magic damage or one of the 4 status effects automatically will not be able to be buffed with Turpentine or Sticky White Stuff. It's pretty straightforward.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Fuzz posted:

Istarelle does magic damage, so it can't have an added effect, just like a Crescent weapon or the Blueblood sword. Makoto has an added Bleed parameter to it, so it's already enchanted.

It's not random at all, look at the stats of the actual weapons. Anything that already does either magic damage or one of the 4 status effects automatically will not be able to be buffed with Turpentine or Sticky White Stuff. It's pretty straightforward.

But you can buff the BlueBlood and cleaver, which do magic damage, so there goes that theory...

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Hamburger Test posted:

if you try using a shield with the polearm you will die; obvious I know, I just couldn't get over the fact that I'd have to put my shield on my back / remove it completely.
What?

I'm assuming here that the winged spear is the same as other pole arms, but being able to use it with a shield is a HUGE component of why I DO like it. I can attack, with significant range, without ever dropping my guard - that's a huge benefit in almost any fight. As far as I know, pole arms are one of the few types of weapons that you can do this with (the other I know of being rapiers, though I assume there are moer?). The only time it's cumbersome is if the attacker is doing massively stamina-draining hits, but then I can just dodge.

Why wouldn't you use a shield with a polearm?

CTRL
May 1, 2008

Shalinor posted:

In this game spears aren't exactly polearms, spears only have thrust attacks, polearms have swings.

The combination of swings and thrusts is what makes spears such effective weapons, sadly you don't get to have swing action with spears in the game. One of my gripes with it, but that's just nitpicking.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I was going to buy this game from play asia but it seems to be backordered. That wouldn't be a big issue if I saw any indication when they might be getting more. Has anyone else bought it when backordered? How long did it take before you got your copy?

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Good Citizen posted:

I was going to buy this game from play asia but it seems to be backordered. That wouldn't be a big issue if I saw any indication when they might be getting more. Has anyone else bought it when backordered? How long did it take before you got your copy?

I love pay-asia but don't ever backorder something from them, they can take loving ages.

King Gonorrhea
Feb 11, 2008

Son of Ass Pharaoh

Shalinor posted:

What?

I'm assuming here that the winged spear is the same as other pole arms

Yeah, I've got no idea what he's talking about. I only use polearm weapons. I have a winged spear, a miridian hammer, and a halbred. I use all of them one handed with a sheild. I own enemies left and right.

Edit: I'm also playing a Temple Knight, though class only effects initial stat build, so he must not have the strength or dexterity necessary to weild it one-handed? I really don't know.

King Gonorrhea fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 23, 2009

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
If you want to play a fun run through, build a no-magic using barbarian and rush for the adjudicator shield and the keel smasher. Running around in Dark Silver armor and one-hitting people off the cliffs in 3-2 is the most fun I've had in the game. Also it's hilarious when you kill bosses in two hits (Adjudicator and every boss in 5-x I'm looking at you).

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.
It makes me kind of sad that the meat cleaver is so vastly over powered, I really like the way the keel smasher looks and feels more, but its damage just can't keep up with the meat cleaver.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
Is it unusual to get invaded by the same person consecutively?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

nominal posted:

Is it unusual to get invaded by the same person consecutively?

Not really. He's probably the only one on in that area and I don't think anyone only does one shot when they feel like pvping

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Hackan Slash posted:

But you can buff the BlueBlood and cleaver, which do magic damage, so there goes that theory...

Really? It failed when I tried to buff my Blueblood with Sticky White Stuff. :smith:

CTRL posted:

In this game spears aren't exactly polearms, spears only have thrust attacks, polearms have swings.

The combination of swings and thrusts is what makes spears such effective weapons, sadly you don't get to have swing action with spears in the game. One of my gripes with it, but that's just nitpicking.

I was curious about that... that red eye knight in front of the mausoleum in 1-1 has a charging attack he does with his spear. Is it possible to do that as a player or is it just another special attack only those knights get? Because that would be awesome.

i saw dasein
Apr 7, 2004

Written postery is worth reading once, and then should be destroyed. Let the dead posters make way for others... ~
I really apologize if this has been asked ad nauseum! I checked back a few pages and didn't see anything...

I think i'm going to get this game, but where should i order it from? I know that for a while not all of the places listed in the OP were reliably sending out orders or something.

also if someone has a copy they're done with i'd be happy to take it of your hands :)

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Oae Ui posted:

It makes me kind of sad that the meat cleaver is so vastly over powered, I really like the way the keel smasher looks and feels more, but its damage just can't keep up with the meat cleaver.

You say this, but I don't think you realize how much farther that extra 12 points into strength gets you for the Keel Smasher when you don't have to get that 18 faith requirement for the meat cleaver. Wielding that two handed I do 500 damage a hit to players and send them flying 10 feet.

Edit:

Fuzz posted:

I was curious about that... that red eye knight in front of the mausoleum in 1-1 has a charging attack he does with his spear. Is it possible to do that as a player or is it just another special attack only those knights get? Because that would be awesome.

All weapons have a special charging attack you can do while you run. Is that not the spear one? I know the Keel Smasher one is bloody awesome, though it has a terrible recovery.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Brackhar posted:

You say this, but I don't think you realize how much farther that extra 12 points into strength gets you for the Keel Smasher when you don't have to get that 18 faith requirement for the meat cleaver. Wielding that two handed I do 500 damage a hit to players and send them flying 10 feet.

Edit:

All weapons have a special charging attack you can do while you run. Is that not the spear one? I know the Keel Smasher one is bloody awesome, though it has a terrible recovery.

Is that "special charging attack" what the samurai skeletons use to rape your face the first swing?

IceOrb
Sep 10, 2006

AGENT NAHMAN JAYDEN, FBI.
I just put in a order for this game and so did a friend I plan on playing it with. Is it possible to play the entire game in coop?

*EDIT*

Question was answered in IRC. Thanks guys!

IceOrb fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 23, 2009

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

i saw dasein posted:

I really apologize if this has been asked ad nauseum! I checked back a few pages and didn't see anything...

I think i'm going to get this game, but where should i order it from? I know that for a while not all of the places listed in the OP were reliably sending out orders or something.

also if someone has a copy they're done with i'd be happy to take it of your hands :)

Last I checked, NCSX seemed to be a pretty reliable place to get it in terms of having stock and shipping it out in a timely fashion. They also update their page for the game quite frequently to tell you what's going on with their supply.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Im in the fiery areas of 2. (after the spider, so 2-2?)
Im in these tunnels. I'm lost as poo poo. I've fought a bunch of bearbugs. Big ones. There was a lava filled area where I hugged the wall and went into a tunnel... and an area where I'm a big fall away from a bunch of glowing "Examine corpse" type glowing balls. Should I jump down? Did I miss something in the lava room with the bearbugs and the flying fire bee thingies?

i saw dasein
Apr 7, 2004

Written postery is worth reading once, and then should be destroyed. Let the dead posters make way for others... ~

McCoy Pauley posted:

Last I checked, NCSX seemed to be a pretty reliable place to get it in terms of having stock and shipping it out in a timely fashion. They also update their page for the game quite frequently to tell you what's going on with their supply.

Thanks, placed my order :)

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Feenix posted:

Im in these tunnels. I'm lost as poo poo. I've fought a bunch of bearbugs. Big ones. There was a lava filled area where I hugged the wall and went into a tunnel... and an area where I'm a big fall away from a bunch of glowing "Examine corpse" type glowing balls. Should I jump down? Did I miss something in the lava room with the bearbugs and the flying fire bee thingies?

Yeah, you're supposed to jump down. You got there from the tunnel near the lava area right? You don't have to go through the lava area to get to it. The fall may look a little nuts but it won't kill you, DO however watch out as generally when you hit the ground some of those worms will appear.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Feenix posted:

What are your stats and how are you equipped for giant flame monster? I'm still trying to figure out how to kill it. I've gone and done 3-1 and 3-2, but I still can't seem to kill the drat flame monster. Guess I'll go try 4-1.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The crushing mod is surprisingly weak. My 30 str/dex character gets more damage out of 2 handing a mirdan hammer +10 than a crushing mirdan hammer +5. Maybe it'd be different if I had a lot more str, but losing 50 base damage hurts it all to hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Fuzz posted:

As has been been mentioned the Meat Cleaver and Blueblood can be enchanted both of which do magic damage, and I know there were at least a few more - which I can't recall now. Gripless also has a bleed effect, so why can that be enchanted but Makoto and the Large Sword of Searching not? I had several theories going into this, but none of them held up.

Shalinor posted:

King Gonorrhea posted:

Yeah, I've got no idea what he's talking about. I only use polearm weapons. I have a winged spear, a miridian hammer, and a halbred. I use all of them one handed with a sheild. I own enemies left and right.

Edit: I'm also playing a Temple Knight, though class only effects initial stat build, so he must not have the strength or dexterity necessary to weild it one-handed? I really don't know.
I was talking about the speed of one handed attacks with Mirdan Hammer / Halberd. Spears have a different attack animation and are awesome with a shield.

For the "real" polearms the extremely long one handed attack animation gets me slaughtered if I try to use them with a shield - meanwhile the two handed animation is one of the fastest attacks in the game, has an amazing reach and seems to have a very high chance of stunning enemies and it won't stun you when you hit a shield.

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Apr 23, 2009

• Locked thread