Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
I honestly hope he gets the production and sound quality issues ironed out well before he sets an end date for the free podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
a $15 yearly subscription wouldn't bother me in the least. With the amount of fans he has, that would be enough to get him a good chunk of change, and seems like a reasonable price for a subscription.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I just listened to the Calacanis podcast. It was really good, but loving hell did Adam piss me off at the end with not buying into the whole advertising thing. I think that they need to sit down Adam and loving tell them that advertising on podcasting is taking a 50cal sniper rifle approach to advertisements and that companies do pay out.

The Pantheon
Apr 25, 2008

Mmm.

DrVenkman posted:

I stopped listening to Gervais when he charged (A move that was pure greed on his part) and I'll probably stop listening to Adam too. Or as someone else said, just pick and choose the ones that sound interesting.
Wasn't really greed on Ricky's part as it was Steve & Karl. Karl had no job after quitting XFM, and Steve, as old fans know, is notoriously tight with money. So they both wanted a bite of the cherry.

It might have stopped some of his download sales, but just yesterday I saw the "Top Audiobooks" section of iTunes, Ricky, Steve & Karl were every single entry there in the Top Ten. So monetizing the podcast MAY work out in some cases.

However in Adam's case, I don't think he has a wide enough reach in comparison to Gervais, I would kind of consider paying just because I'm such a big Adam fan, but I don't think the numbers would turn out to be very good at all.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Phone posted:

I just listened to the Calacanis podcast. It was really good, but loving hell did Adam piss me off at the end with not buying into the whole advertising thing. I think that they need to sit down Adam and loving tell them that advertising on podcasting is taking a 50cal sniper rifle approach to advertisements and that companies do pay out.

I think he's still looking at it in radio terms, where the advertisers do dictate content to a large extent. He's reluctant because he doesn't want to be censored, and I don't think he understands that internet advertising isn't going to censor him.

j8910
Apr 2, 2002
I wouldn't pay for Carolla's podcast. There's too much free media out there to really justify payment. I like his podcast, and listening the TACS podcast, but it just isn't good enough to warrant payment.

Frankly, his podcast is a little hit and miss and Adam's ego has gotten just too big. I like him when he's humble, and that's why when Drew comes on it's great balance because Drew pushes back against him.

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax
He should try what Radiohead did with their last album, the customer chooses what to pay for it, or not to get it free.

Sir Liquid Jerk
Aug 10, 2002
I have Ham Armor +5!
I'd argue the reason people won't pay for podcasts is that its a loving hassle.

You have to sign up for a service, wait for the confirmation e-mail and then confirm the confirmation e-mail. Then you have to dig out your wallet and type in all your information again. It is a stupid loving hassle and I'm a big Adam Carolla fan but if he is going to wallow in his ignorance despite all the advice given to the contrary and charge for podcasts he can blow me.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Sir Liquid Jerk posted:

I'd argue the reason people won't pay for podcasts is that its a loving hassle.

You have to sign up for a service, wait for the confirmation e-mail and then confirm the confirmation e-mail. Then you have to dig out your wallet and type in all your information again. It is a stupid loving hassle and I'm a big Adam Carolla fan but if he is going to wallow in his ignorance despite all the advice given to the contrary and charge for podcasts he can blow me.

I'd actually disagree with that. If you get it through itunes, one of the major selling points is that it's very convenient to subscribe to. I'd pay if it was dirt cheap and the subscription length is lengthy, but I doubt Adam's thinking of following that way.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

JeansW posted:

This was posted on Twitter:

I remember Adam in the past talking about how Alec called him and told him how much he loved Loveline. Would be nice hearing him on the podcast.

This will be the best podcast.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I wonder if Carolla knows about Assetbar. The Achewood fanflow is a pretty awesome use of the technology--he could just do podcasts instead of cartoons about cats and stuffed animals.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Mike Tyson this week!

How Much Art
Oct 29, 2003
Trampoline Destroys Bear

jyrka posted:

Mike Tyson this week!

Whoa! What is the connection between those two? I remember Mike randomly calling once during the first year of TACS too...

Gordon Gekko
Mar 3, 2009

jyrka posted:

Mike Tyson this week!

Now excuse me for being a total moron, but I only listen to the radio show and really know nothing about it. I guess I just want to confirm that this is going to be on the radio show and not some podcast or other type thing? Also do you know what night?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Is Mike Tyson any more well behaved these days?

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Gordon Gekko posted:

Now excuse me for being a total moron, but I only listen to the radio show and really know nothing about it. I guess I just want to confirm that this is going to be on the radio show and not some podcast or other type thing? Also do you know what night?

He's going to be on the podcast, which is what 90% of the discussion in this thread seems to be about since Adam went off the air. http://twitter.com/adamcarolla

Gordon Gekko
Mar 3, 2009

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

He's going to be on the podcast, which is what 90% of the discussion in this thread seems to be about since Adam went off the air. http://twitter.com/adamcarolla

Do you have to pay for it?

j8910
Apr 2, 2002
Mike Tyson *and* Alec Baldwin?

Adam's podcast gets better guests than most talk shows

How Much Art
Oct 29, 2003
Trampoline Destroys Bear

Gordon Gekko posted:

Do you have to pay for it?

Nope... not yet anyways.

Cheddar Cheese
Dec 31, 2007
I Like Cheese
the tyson podcast is live.
https://www.carollaradio.com

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Cheddar Cheese posted:

the tyson podcast is live.
https://www.carollaradio.com

Edit: Nevermind, for whatever reason the page was loading an old version that didn't have Danica Patrick either. Good to go, here's hoping for an interesting interview.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 20, 2009

Cheddar Cheese
Dec 31, 2007
I Like Cheese
just finished. I think I liked this one the least so far. The thing I like about this podcast is that its just adam talking with someone and having a interesting conversation. This is the first podcast where I felt like he didn't have a flow with his guests. He even padded it with audio clips from the movie. But I guess its hard when the guest doesn't want to talk.

I'm still a big fan of the podcast though. I was a big fan of his loveline show, but couldn't get into the morning show. I like how its just him and his guest and his stories. Tyson just felt a little awkward.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Yeah Tyson is awkward as a guest. Which is why they had James Toback there. To be honest though I would've loved an hour with just Toback.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Pretty much what I expected out of Tyson. The great thing about the podcast is that he's only had guests that have wanted to be on. With Tyson, it was essentially just a phoner for his morning show. Tyson wasn't really that interested, so, it's the shortest podcast to date.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
The only good part was when Tyson called out Toback for his backhanded compliments towards Robert Downey Jr. It was one of those great Hollywood phoney moments.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The podcast didn't go well, but it was kind of a sinking ship from the get go. When the guest doesn't want to talk, what do you do?

ninjoatse.cx fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 20, 2009

nah
Mar 16, 2009

UltraRed posted:

The podcast didn't go well, but it was kind of a sinking ship from the get go. When the guest doesn't want to talk, what do you do?

Tell a story about high school football or cleaning carpets. :eng101:

ChaosMonkey
Jun 28, 2008
Take a little time to be quiet.

JohnnyDangerously
Aug 3, 2007
Disgruntled
I love Adam Carolla and all, but did we already talk about how the Podcast with The Family Guy creator was just an hour of two guys talking about how loving smart they were? If Adam heard anybody else have the conversation those two guys had, he'd call them blowhards with their heads stuck up their rear end. I understand they were both a little bit drunk, but holy loving poo poo.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Just a heads up, Adam is on Bill Simmons' podcast today. I loved the past two podcasts they did, and I'm hoping this is just as entertaining.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

JohnnyDangerously posted:

I love Adam Carolla and all, but did we already talk about how the Podcast with The Family Guy creator was just an hour of two guys talking about how loving smart they were? If Adam heard anybody else have the conversation those two guys had, he'd call them blowhards with their heads stuck up their rear end. I understand they were both a little bit drunk, but holy loving poo poo.

Adam usually goes on about how he tries to reach out a broadcast to smart people. I don't think tooting your own horn is that big a deal when everyone else has a horn as well.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Adam is so excited about the attack-crows.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

jyrka posted:

Adam is so excited about the attack-crows.

Yeah his thought process I think just went insane on this podcast. Attack crows, bug attacks, jerk-off towels, and venereal disease-sniffing dogs for the majority of the first half of the show.

I listened to the first 25ish minutes of the show three times before moving on, it was really very entertaining.

sweeptheleg
Nov 26, 2007
I really dig carolla, but without bald bryan and terresa the show has lost a lot of steam. They balanced him out nicely and sorta kept him on track

Sir Liquid Jerk
Aug 10, 2002
I have Ham Armor +5!
Dameshek podcast is up.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I do say that it is the best version of The Who's 'I can see for miles' I've ever heard.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
Yeah, Lord Sitar is pretty great. Good for parties too.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
I really wish they'd stop releasing these out of order. This was obviously the first episode with the new theme music and Skype calls, but we've been hearing that stuff since Danica Patrick last week.

Still, I guess it's not too bad. It's not like this is Lost or something.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Nemo posted:

I really wish they'd stop releasing these out of order. This was obviously the first episode with the new theme music and Skype calls, but we've been hearing that stuff since Danica Patrick last week.

Still, I guess it's not too bad. It's not like this is Lost or something.

Yeah I'm not sure what the point in doing this is. But ultimately it doesn't matter, they're not talking about current events or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
He probably gets his friends to fill in on days he can't get anyone, and books the others as quickly as they can.

• Locked thread