Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Yodzilla posted:

Well that's tempting. TOCA 3 is a really good racing game. Once of the best actually. No idea about Screamer but I might have to give it a shot.

Second Sight is really good too for anyone looking for a unique story driven action game. :lol: Messiah but I never actually got around to playing that.

All in all this is a drat good deal. Now I'm tempted to buy something. :saddowns:

Thinking about getting the Second Sight + Messiah deal as well. I bought the latter one or two years ago, but I couldn't get the audio to work in XP and thus only played it a little bit. It was fun though, as I remember.

Screamer is a really old old game that I don't think aged well. I bought it back when it was rather new as one of my first games on CD-ROM and while it was okay for its time, I don't think I'd want to play it again nowadays :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
It's very interesting to see actual competition in the DD market. I hope this will continue and push the prices down a bit more in general.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Thanks to these new deals, I finally get the chance to play Freespace 1 and 2 which I'm looking forward to. I'm really digging this system, I don't even have to worry about setting up the dosbox options. It works right off the net, so to speak. Eagerly awaiting Rainbow Six, fortunately I had already gotten Ghost Recon in a Steam deal where I got the original, two expansions, and advanced warfighter 1 and 2 for 20 bucks... so that was a good deal. They really don't make games like they used to.

FreshyK
Jul 29, 2006

The K Man
I missed out on Redneck Rampage as a kid so I've finally caught up to that.

I really really really want Blood.

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma
edit: Answered.

FearOfABlackKnob fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Apr 11, 2009

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Castles + Castles 2: check. Patrician 3, check. Disciples II, check. Jagged Alliance, check. Freespaces, check.

It's like this site was set up specifically to suck the contents of my wallet by waving at me now every game I never bought back when I had no money to spend on games.

Slingback78
Oct 17, 2008

quote:

Charles Martel posted:

Halibut Barn posted:

There's a new Alpha Centauri Complete pack, so somebody else might have the distribution rights for now. Then again, this looks like a UK-only thing, so maybe GoG can still grab the worldwide rights or something.

My heart skipped a beat because I thought you were going to say it was on GoG now.

But wow, I bet a lot of people who have their oh-so-rare copies of Alien Crossfire are pissed now.

No, people with Alien Crossfire are relieved they may get to replace their incredibly worn discs for a reasonable price. At least the people who actually play them and use the Aliens to stomp that rear end in a top hat Miriam into paste as God intended. I still hear the robotic voice speaking up for the drones. I should dig the .wav out and replace Berzerk as my shut off sound.

Bought it for $10 in a horse trailer a decade ago. No regrets. And the Meierian faction is the way to go. All the fun of Zakharov with a happy bald guy as an avatar.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
In the case of the UK, we'll be glad to actually HAVE that expansion. It was never re-released. Indeed, I've never been sure that it was released at all over here-I remember Alpha Centauri being in the shops, but NEVER Alien Crossfire.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Bloodly posted:

In the case of the UK, we'll be glad to actually HAVE that expansion. It was never re-released. Indeed, I've never been sure that it was released at all over here-I remember Alpha Centauri being in the shops, but NEVER Alien Crossfire.
Man, I'd love to get my hands on Alien Crossfire but the piddly amount of copies that were released in scandinavia ensured that I never got my hands on it.

Am I the only one who wants to see more older games on GoG, with emphasis on the "old" aspect? It's a god thing to see Sands of Time and Rainbow Six but I'd be even happier to see stuff like the entire Microprose library or the Sierra Quest series on GoG.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Sylphosaurus posted:

Man, I'd love to get my hands on Alien Crossfire but the piddly amount of copies that were released in scandinavia ensured that I never got my hands on it.

Am I the only one who wants to see more older games on GoG, with emphasis on the "old" aspect? It's a god thing to see Sands of Time and Rainbow Six but I'd be even happier to see stuff like the entire Microprose library or the Sierra Quest series on GoG.

Darklands would be nice.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I'm actually quite content with the current mixed approach. They're no emphasizing "old" but they have a good variety of older and newer games, I've bought a number of both. I missed out on so many great games because nearly all I was playing from 1998 to 2001 was Everquest, and nearly all all I was playing from 2001 to 2004 was Diablo II. So while I've got more of a collection from 2004 'til now, there are tons of titles that I ignored because they weren't super hot, ultra hyped A-list titles that could penetrate the haze of EQ/D2. Plus, I didn't really have money then. Now I'm looking at having a lot of free time after I graduate next month (taking a year off and working some music industry in-roads before going back to grad school, my segment of the industry is the press so I'm not constantly engaged, just looking for new scoops and deadlines - I'll have time on my hands), so I've been able to go back and get some of the great somewhat more recent games that I missed out on before.

So, for me, their current model is awesome.

Plus, frankly a lot of the older titles I'd want to see them host are currently widely available for free as abandonware, and I don't exactly relish the idea of paying for something that I can get now free of charge.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Sylphosaurus posted:

If I remember right, they did mention they were trying to get games by Troika Games on GoG. Infogrames/Atari (who now own Microprose) may also decide to distribute on Steam or GoG just for the reason of getting some cash flow. (They've posted terrible losses the past couple years)

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Party Plane Jones posted:

If I remember right, they did mention they were trying to get games by Troika Games on GoG. Infogrames/Atari (who now own Microprose) may also decide to distribute on Steam or GoG just for the reason of getting some cash flow. (They've posted terrible losses the past couple years)
drat, if GoG were to secure the Troika and Microprose libraries I'd be in gaming heaven..

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone played Descent I/II on an AMD machine? Ever since I got my first Athlon I've had to leave these games on the shelf. I have tried Dos box and had no success - there's some kind of timing problem with AMD CPUs on that game, and everything goes way too fast.

At least, I think that's what the problem is.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Squish posted:

Has anyone played Descent I/II on an AMD machine? Ever since I got my first Athlon I've had to leave these games on the shelf. I have tried Dos box and had no success - there's some kind of timing problem with AMD CPUs on that game, and everything goes way too fast.

That shouldn't be an issue at all with DOSBox. The CPU is entirely emulated.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
I would love Troika stuff on GOG as well, but it seems like a lot of work to guarantee they run on XP/Vista when they never really ran properly on any OS ever.

ChimpyMonkey
Sep 11, 2001

Well, of course we're going to throw poo at him!
Two new games just now:

Earth 2150 and "Pro Pinball Big Race USA".

ChimpyMonkey fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Apr 14, 2009

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Earth 2150 series was really good (albeit difficult). It has a cult following and is well worth the $6. It's a shame that Earth 2160 didn't follow up to its fun and uniqueness.

Lasse Lillebakken
Jul 23, 2007

请大家闭嘴
Big Race USA is one of the better tables in the Pro Pinball series, but it's notoriously unforgiving. Expect to lose the ball between the flippers a lot.

I'm buying.

sandmaniac
Sep 15, 2005

by mons al-madeen
postal is up, postal 2 is coming, thought you guys would be all over that?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Surprise announcement time! Postal: Classic And Uncut for $5.99, Postal 2 Complete coming "in the coming weeks" soon for $9.99

EDIT: Baah, beaten by mere seconds

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

The Kins posted:

Surprise announcement time! Postal: Classic And Uncut for $5.99, Postal 2 Complete coming "in the coming weeks" soon for $9.99

EDIT: Baah, beaten by mere seconds

Nice, I'll be purchasing Postal 2 when they release it.

frowning
Aug 10, 2005

The Dire and Ever Circling Wolves

sandmaniac posted:

postal is up, postal 2 is coming, thought you guys would be all over that?

Jesus, I remember that first Postal demo and the suicide key after setting fire to a town or something. All seems like a nightmare thinking back on it.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Holy poo poo, Postal! I enjoyed Postal 2 as just big dumb fun game, which is how people should see it, and I never got the chance to play the first Postal.

Buying both of these definitely. I'll also update the OP when I get home later this afternoon.

Edit: Updated

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 18, 2009

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Jagged Alliance 2: Wildfire has been released for $5.99. OPs all updated.

Also, the original Postal is pretty neat for $6.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Charles Martel posted:

Jagged Alliance 2: Wildfire has been released for $5.99. OPs all updated.

Also, the original Postal is pretty neat for $6.

Sweet, I've got the Gold bundle which has JA:2 and Unfinished Business. Glad to be able to get Wildfire now :)

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
Sent them my address hoping for stickers in the mail (see news section on main page). Still waiting for Heroes of Might and Magic though.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Well, I got a cheque for £20 as one of my birthday presents. Went on the site and got Battle Chess, Cannon Fodder, Earthworm Jim 1&2 and Flatout, and still have money left over. That's a pretty awesome deal.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Pretty :krad: promo going on right now if you don't have the Fallout games yet:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Man, I already own all three games on the Fallout Collection DVD. Why am I considering buying them again :I

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

You're not the only one.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

The GOG Team posted:

The small package with GOG.com stickers will be sent to your address soon. Don't forget to send us some photos where did you manage to paste the stickers and please don't hurt yourself or anyone else :)

Whoo hoo!

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Charles Martel posted:

Whoo hoo!
Stickers? Explain.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Plavski posted:

Stickers? Explain.

GoG is give away free stickers on a first-come, first-serve basis if you send your address to users AT gog DOT com. Here's the news post about it from the beginning of the week:

GOG.com posted:

Apr 20, 2009

Hey GOG.com fans! We know you've been spreading the word about your favourite service around the web, but now it's time to show off GOG.com in the real world! We have 1000 GOG.com stickers to give away to anyone who feels like pasting them at their school, work, favourite restaurant, on a bus stop or on the back of the prettiest girl in the neighborhood and sending us a photo of it. We will set up a gallery with all the photos that we receive from our beloved users. To receive your pack of stickers just send us your address details at users-at-gog.com and wait for the mail to come. Remember we have only 1000 stickers and they're given away on a first-come, first-served basis.

I like GoG and free stuff. So I figured, why not?

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I got some of the stickers. If you live in Hong Kong, look out for DRM free software advertisements! Living here I really appreciate GOG. Steam has buttfucked me too many times as I wanted to preorder Empire: Total War because in the US you could get the entire series for a discounted price. Not here. I didn't even know DLC for Fallout 3 had already been released here. So GOG is a godsend and I will spread the word high and low.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
I also sent my email to GOG.com requesting stickers be sent to me. Here is the correspondence. Pretty amusing.

On Apr 21, 2009, at 2:47 AM:

Subject: Stickers!
Send some stickers my way GOG.com. Also, please hurry on the Heroes
of Might and Magic release. I can barely wait.

Thanks again,
[My Address]

RESPONSE:
Thank you for your, let's call it, entry. We have received your
request for GOG.com stickers. The small package with GOG.com stickers
will be sent to your address soon. Don't forget to send us some photos
where did you manage to paste the stickers and please don't hurt
yourself or anyone else :)

Cheers,
GOG.com Team

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Oh god, I JUST realised the Game shelf 2.0 thing was probably an April fool.

* Curls up into foetal position *

edit : The giveaway should have been the talk about your most frequently played games, they don't have that info of course.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I'm seriously thinking about getting the Fallout set for $15 even though I have a long list of games on Steam I have yet to touch and just recently got a PSP and a bunch of games and oh god what am I thinking here??

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Charles Martel posted:

I'm seriously thinking about getting the Fallout set for $15 even though I have a long list of games on Steam I have yet to touch and just recently got a PSP and a bunch of games and oh god what am I thinking here??

Don't do it! I also prevented myself from doing that.

But o wait, the weekend deal on Steam wasn't of any use for me again.

gently caress, now I'm tempted too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I ended up getting the Fallout set and CoD 4 finally since I've already got the orange box.