Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teknologik
Jul 24, 2006

Write it, cut it,
paste it, save it

McCoy Pauley posted:

Last I checked, NCSX seemed to be a pretty reliable place to get it in terms of having stock and shipping it out in a timely fashion. They also update their page for the game quite frequently to tell you what's going on with their supply.

I've ordered from there before when something was back ordered and I recommend them as well. On that note this thread convinced me to order Demon's Souls!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JGTheSpy
Jul 31, 2002
Excuse me, but if I could have a moment of your time, I'd like to explain why you're not actually enjoying that game that you're enjoying. You see, I am in fact an expert. At games. I know, it's impressive.

Jae posted:

I've ordered from there before when something was back ordered and I recommend them as well. On that note this thread convinced me to order Demon's Souls!

Praise Jesus! I always though everyone in the PS3 thread talking about this game was annoying because who the gently caress cares about some lovely Japanese import that no one has ever hear of? I'm glad I got bored as poo poo one weekend and caved in.

Someone should sponsor a forum ad campaign to fix anyone in a similar position.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

MrKnowitall posted:

What are your stats and how are you equipped for giant flame monster? I'm still trying to figure out how to kill it. I've gone and done 3-1 and 3-2, but I still can't seem to kill the drat flame monster. Guess I'll go try 4-1.

It's easy to cheese flamelurker. Run through the area towards the far fog door up the small steps. Turn around and move left. He'll try to run through some rubble towards you and you can hit him with arrows. Stop firing when he jumps side to side or he'll charge at you.

Space Odin
Dec 31, 2006

Ask me about my great raven...
After seeing the first DS thread, I resolved to buy the game... eventually. When Forum's Fridays Mondays featured this thread, I hopped in, almost placed an order, then resisted in order to wait for my next paycheck... Then I read a few pages and went back and ordered. NCSX is apparently waiting for a new shipment but dammit I want to join in the goon fun!

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.
I'm upgrading an uchigatana but I'm having trouble deciding between the sharp (big dex bonus) and tearing (bleeding damage) lines. The wiki doesn't have these filled out. Does anyone have any experience with either upgrade path and which one might do more damage in the end? Also, I only see the quality and mercury lines available right now with my sword at +3. I assume I need to get it higher before sharp or tearing appears? This is the first time I've bothered with anything other than the normal upgrade path.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Oae Ui posted:

I'm upgrading an uchigatana but I'm having trouble deciding between the sharp (big dex bonus) and tearing (bleeding damage) lines. The wiki doesn't have these filled out. Does anyone have any experience with either upgrade path and which one might do more damage in the end? Also, I only see the quality and mercury lines available right now with my sword at +3. I assume I need to get it higher before sharp or tearing appears? This is the first time I've bothered with anything other than the normal upgrade path.

Go with tearing. It's a royal bitch to get pure bladestone. Plus both get a big bonus from dex.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Oae Ui posted:

According to the wiki both Sharp and Tearing are available at the base level for uchigatanas, so you would have to find a new one or use a meltstone.

If anyone who can read Japanese is following this thread at the moment I'd like some help deciphering something on this Japanese site Talran linked.

I need to get more Chunks of Hardstone which the English wiki tells me only drops from crystal geckos in 1-4 and 2-2, and I have pretty much exhausted those in my current game. However if I am understanding the google translated version of that Japanese page correctly, something else should drop them too.

I am talking about :
塊:結晶トカゲ(坑2)、鱗肌工夫(焼き鏝
Mass: lizard crystal (hole 2), squamous skin device (鏝baked)

Particularly the second part. It's obviously miners, but I don't recall any of them looking particularly like potheads. Perhaps the ones with heated polearms? That type doesn't seem to show up on the enemies page.

These are the squamous skin devices listed: (Iron Fist), (bag), (Pickaxe), (Pickaxe strength), (hammer), (鏝baked), (rock throwing), (unarmed).

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Hamburger Test posted:

According to the wiki both Sharp and Tearing are available at the base level for uchigatanas, so you would have to find a new one or use a meltstone.

If anyone who can read Japanese is following this thread at the moment I'd like some help deciphering something on this Japanese site Talran linked.

I need to get more Chunks of Hardstone which the English wiki tells me only drops from crystal geckos in 1-4 and 2-2, and I have pretty much exhausted those in my current game. However if I am understanding the google translated version of that Japanese page correctly, something else should drop them too.

I am talking about :

Particularly the second part. It's obviously miners, but I don't recall any of them looking particularly like potheads. Perhaps the ones with heated polearms? That type doesn't seem to show up on the enemies page.

These are the squamous skin devices listed: (Iron Fist), (bag), (Pickaxe), (Pickaxe strength), (hammer), (鏝baked), (rock throwing), (unarmed).

Babelfish gives a much more useful translation for that line: Burning Iron. The enemy section of that wiki doesn't list what ores those guys drop and the item section seems to just have a catch-all for guys that can drop any quality of ore, so don't be too disappointed if you spend an hour hunting and have nothing but splinters to show for it. It really didn't help that the kanji used for "iron" is apparently not on either the Jouyou or Jinmei lists, which means it's essentially unused.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 23, 2009

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

dis astranagant posted:

Babelfish gives a much more useful translation for that line: Burning Iron. The enemy section of that wiki doesn't list what ores those guys drop and the item section seems to just have a catch-all for guys that can drop any quality of ore, so don't be too disappointed if you spend an hour hunting and have nothing but splinters to show for it. It really didn't help that the kanji used for "iron" is apparently not on either the Jouyou or Jinmei lists, which means it's essentially unused.
The last half of that made no sense to me.

This is the page where i got the idea that they should drop chunks (lump/mass), now in Babelfish. And, yea "the scaly skin device (it burns, the iron)" makes a lot more sense, thanks.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Hey look Eurogamer reviews Demon's Souls and loving loved it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Hamburger Test posted:

The last half of that made no sense to me.

This is the page where i got the idea that they should drop chunks (lump/mass), now in Babelfish. And, yea "the scaly skin device (it burns, the iron)" makes a lot more sense, thanks.

The last half of that was just me grumbling because it wasn't in my favorite kanji dictionary because it doesn't have much that isn't on either of the government kanji lists: Jouyou kanji are commonly used kanji that you have to know to be considered literate and Jinmei kanji are extra ones allowed in people's names. Anything else is more or less obsolete and is the kind of stuff that for the most part only native speaking japanese majors know about or are known mostly in specific fields.

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.

Hamburger Test posted:

What I meant is that my uchigatana is at +3 normal, not Quality or anything else, and all I can see are Mercury and Quality as different upgrade paths. So long as I'm still along the normal line I should be able to see all of my other options regardless of upgrade level, right? I don't recall seeing any other options at +0 for it. Is there something I need to do to see these other options?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Oae Ui posted:

What I meant is that my uchigatana is at +3 normal, not Quality or anything else, and all I can see are Mercury and Quality as different upgrade paths. So long as I'm still along the normal line I should be able to see all of my other options regardless of upgrade level, right? I don't recall seeing any other options at +0 for it. Is there something I need to do to see these other options?

Upgrade paths are only at specific levels, not retroactive. If you raise that Uchigatana to +4 then you won't be able to go into Mercury or Quality.

If you want to experiment with one of them, go ahead - the dual katana skeletons in world 4 (4-2 has an easily farmable one near the start of the map) drop the sword.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Oae Ui posted:

Most of the specialty upgrades can only be done by Ed, and only after you have given him Flame Lurker's soul.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Be gone with you! You'll spoil my focus.

Hamburger Test posted:

I am talking about :

Aha! sorry, I was sleepin' ^^'

塊:結晶トカゲ(坑2)、鱗肌工夫(焼き鏝) Chunk : Crystal Lizard (Pit/Mine 2), Scaled worker (Red hot iron). The red hot iron refers to those heated swrods they have near the shortcut in Mines-1. And scaled worker is just a way of identifing those miners....

dis astranagant posted:

The last half of that was just me grumbling because it wasn't in my favorite kanji dictionary because it doesn't have much that isn't on either of the government kanji lists: Jouyou kanji are commonly used kanji that you have to know to be considered literate and Jinmei kanji are extra ones allowed in people's names. Anything else is more or less obsolete and is the kind of stuff that for the most part only native speaking japanese majors know about or are known mostly in specific fields.

What wasn't in your dictionary the compound 工夫? that's pretty common... :x
Although I understand having trouble putting Scale and Skin together if you're just looking for a compound, but a lot of times it isn't like that :x

Oae Ui posted:

Here is the 'Sharp' path
付加ボーナス = Parameter bonus.
鋭利な打刀
技量ボーナス特化
必要ソウル 必要鉱石(欠片/塊/純粋) 性能(基本性能との違い)
+1 2260 刃石(4/0/0) 物理攻撃:105 付加ボーナスEC--
+2 刃石(6/0/0) 物理攻撃:114 付加ボーナスEC--
+3 刃石(8/2/0) 物理攻撃:124 付加ボーナスEA--
+4 刃石(8/4/0) 物理攻撃:133 付加ボーナスEA--
+5 刃石(8/6/1) 物理攻撃:143 付加ボーナスES--

And here is the Tearing/Laceration path.
出血ダメージ = Bleeding Damage

裂傷の打刀
出血効果追加
必要ソウル 必要鉱石(欠片/塊/純粋) 性能(基本性能との違い)
+1 2260 吸いつき石(4/0/0) 物理攻撃:97 付加ボーナスEB-- 出血:240 出血ダメージ4/sec
+2 吸いつき石(6/0/0) 物理攻撃:100 付加ボーナスEB-- 出血:273 出血ダメージ5/sec
+3 吸いつき石(8/2/0) 物理攻撃:102 付加ボーナスES-- 出血:300 出血ダメージ5/sec
+4 吸いつき石(8/4/0) 物理攻撃:105 付加ボーナスES-- 出血:327 出血ダメージ6/sec
+5 吸いつき石(8/6/1) 物理攻撃:107 付加ボーナスES-- 出血:360 出血ダメージ6/sec

Not sure which has a higher bonus, although sharp is a hefty 'S' if i remember correctly, not sure how much lacerations is...

Talran fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 23, 2009

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Talran posted:

Aha! sorry, I was sleepin' ^^'

塊:結晶トカゲ(坑2)、鱗肌工夫(焼き鏝) Chunk : Crystal Lizard (Pit/Mine 2), Scaled worker (Red hot iron). The red hot iron refers to those heated swrods they have near the shortcut in Mines-1. And scaled worker is just a way of identifing those miners....

What wasn't in your dictionary the compound 工夫? that's pretty common... :x
Although I understand having trouble putting Scale and Skin together if you're just looking for a compound, but a lot of times it isn't like that :x

鏝 wasn't in there.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Talran posted:

And scaled worker is just a way of identifing those miners....
To me they are now squamous/scaly skin devices. :colbert:

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Hamburger Test posted:

To me they are now squamous/scaly skin devices. :colbert:

I might start using this too :3:

dis astranagant posted:

鏝 wasn't in there.

Gah, I see, what dictionary are you using?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Talran posted:

I might start using this too :3:

Gah, I see, what dictionary are you using?

saiga.jp's searchable Jouyou/Jinmeiyou/~400 other dictionary. It's not the most complete dictionary out there, but the interface is great when you can only make out parts of a kanji. Currently lacking in the paper dictionary department due to not having much use for it in my classes yet. Apparently that's iron as in tool, hence why the machine translators call it trowel when set to chinese.

As for the discussion of Tearing vs Sharp. Tearing gives a huge amount of bleed, but you'll lose about 25-30 damage at max dex. Also, a flat +10 is going to be better until you get over about 50 dex, due to the large amount of base damage you lose (about 50). Seriously, none of the stat specialization weapon upgrades matter unless you're doing nothing but cranking that one stat in NG+. You might as well go with +10 or something that gives an extra effect.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 23, 2009

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
between currently aging DS and having just read the EuroGamer review I have formulated the perfect one sentence blurb to describe DS to someone...

It is the polar opposite of Prince of Persia.

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.

Hamburger Test posted:

Most of the specialty upgrades can only be done by Ed, and only after you have given him Flame Lurker's soul.

I know this is true for the upgrades requiring unique demon's souls, are you sure this is true for Sharp, Tearing, etc?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Oae Ui posted:

I know this is true for the upgrades requiring unique demon's souls, are you sure this is true for Sharp, Tearing, etc?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Boldwin in the Nexus can only do upgrades with Sharp and Hard stone (i.e., only make regular +x weapons, no special upgrade paths). And Ed will do those special upgrade paths before you give him the Flamelurker soul.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

saiga.jp's searchable Jouyou/Jinmeiyou/~400 other dictionary. It's not the most complete dictionary out there, but the interface is great when you can only make out parts of a kanji. Currently lacking in the paper dictionary department due to not having much use for it in my classes yet. Apparently that's iron as in tool, hence why the machine translators call it trowel when set to chinese.

As for the discussion of Tearing vs Sharp. Tearing gives a huge amount of bleed, but you'll lose about 25-30 damage at max dex. Also, a flat +10 is going to be better until you get over about 50 dex, due to the large amount of base damage you lose (about 50). Seriously, none of the stat specialization weapon upgrades matter unless you're doing nothing but cranking that one stat in NG+. You might as well go with +10 or something that gives an extra effect.

I think sharp weapons can have stuff applied to them, which is another reason you should stick to +10 till your stats are higher. Although bleeding is nicesometimes, as is poison.

Oae Ui posted:

Eh, I think you can do anything that doesn't require souls from the get go with him...

Edit: Oh my loving god, Just got the pure bladestone drop. Anyone need to borrow it for the trophy? (I'm SL 152)

Talran fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 23, 2009

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

McCoy Pauley posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Boldwin in the Nexus can only do upgrades with Sharp and Hard stone (i.e., only make regular +x weapons, no special upgrade paths). And Ed will do those special upgrade paths before you give him the Flamelurker soul.

Yeah, the only thing Ed needs the Flamelurker soul is for the special weapons that consume boss souls.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Tortolia posted:

Yeah, the only thing Ed needs the Flamelurker soul is for the special weapons that consume boss souls.

Am I correct in assuming that he needs you to give him the soul again in NG+ before you can get back to crafting items from boss souls?

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.
I do believe that's the case.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Tortolia posted:

Odd, I definitely remember not being able to make a crescent before I handed in Flame Lurker's soul.

McCoy Pauley posted:

Am I correct in assuming that he needs you to give him the soul again in NG+ before you can get back to crafting items from boss souls?
Yes.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Hamburger Test posted:

Odd, I definitely remember not being able to make a crescent before I handed in Flame Lurker's soul.

Yes.

Crescent doesn't consume a boss soul

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
in 2-2, just past the Armor Spider, I made it past the minecarts, went down the lowering elevator platform, and saw Crystal Geckos rush off down a hallway. I took a couple steps into said long hallway, and (on several occasions) noticed (what looked like) Red, humanoid figures (at least 2) with shields or SOME kind of weapon (it was very dark and they were far off) running at me with determination.

2 or 3 times when I saw this, I raised the elevator like a pussy. Totally fearful of what kind of doom they might visit upon my body.

Later on, I went down that hallway, and all I found were a shitload of Crystal Geckos. No red humanoids. No dangerous foes.

Was I hallucinating?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Feenix posted:

in 2-2, just past the Armor Spider, I made it past the minecarts, went down the lowering elevator platform, and saw Crystal Geckos rush off down a hallway. I took a couple steps into said long hallway, and (on several occasions) noticed (what looked like) Red, humanoid figures (at least 2) with shields or SOME kind of weapon (it was very dark and they were far off) running at me with determination.

2 or 3 times when I saw this, I raised the elevator like a pussy. Totally fearful of what kind of doom they might visit upon my body.

Later on, I went down that hallway, and all I found were a shitload of Crystal Geckos. No red humanoids. No dangerous foes.

Was I hallucinating?

Nope, there's three Black Phantoms in that hallway. I don't know if they're linked to tendency or not, but the first time I went down there, I faced them too. They're probably the weakest NPC black phantoms in the game, but they're still quite tough since they gang up on you... the key is to let them come to you in hte elevator area and not try to fight them in that tunnel, because you will get raped.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Talran posted:

Crescent doesn't consume a boss soul
That is what I am saying.

Feenix posted:

Was I hallucinating?
That is odd. I haven't heard of NPC Black Phantoms that aren't linked to World Tendency disappearing.

Edit: There is definitely two BPs in that tunnel, not linked to WT.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Hamburger Test posted:

That is odd. I haven't heard of NPC Black Phantoms that aren't linked to World Tendency disappearing.

Edit: There is definitely two BPs in that tunnel, not linked to WT.

yeah I've been in that tunnel like 3 times since then and nothing.

ps: I really love this game. :)

[edit] What are Black Phantoms. I could wiki, but I like talking things out with you guys. :)

I know Black Phantoms can be invading Player characters, but I'm assuming these are just NPC versions of that? What's their story?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Feenix posted:

[edit] What are Black Phantoms. I could wiki, but I like talking things out with you guys. :)

I know Black Phantoms can be invading Player characters, but I'm assuming these are just NPC versions of that? What's their story?

I think that's pretty much the whole story -- they're tougher versions of regular NPCs (although in the case of these two guys, I'm not sure there are non-BP versions anywhere else). At least, I don't recall fighting two regular barbarian dudes with clubs and big shields anywhere else. You run into other NPC-BPs from time to time -- I won't spoil where, but you'll know them by their red glow and they way they can really kick you rear end if you're not careful.

I'm not sure why those guys would just disappear, though -- that's weird. If they do show up again and you want to fight them 1-on-1, you can pretty easily lure just one of them out using a bow, and then tackle him in the room where the lift drops you off. Then go back and get the second BP.

I should note that some BPs respawn like regular enemies and some do not. These are in the latter category (so maybe that explains why they just disappeared on you -- the wouldn't respawn after you beat them anyway).

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
well that certainly makes sense that they'd be posted there. All those geckos were just chillin, man.. I was like... IS THIS A TRAP?!!! ^_^

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Have you beaten a BP (of any sort) yet? When you do, you get the stone that lets you invade other people's games as a BP (it's called the "Black-Eyed Stone," I think). These guys would drop it, if they're the first ones you beat (otherwise it's just some regular stuff). If they're gone for good, you'll certainly run into others -- in 4-2, 3-1, 3-2, etc.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
I think all BPs that resemble player characters will not respawn once killed and that all BPs that do look like monsters can respawn, some require black tendency however.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Naturally whenever I start pondering the longevity of a really great game, I think about what could keep me playing well past the campaign. I was thinking on the bus, some kind of like, Horde-mode co-op (or SP) DLC would be great. Add some more items/weapons/perks, and have this mode where you basically kit out (alone or with a friend) as best you can, and then do this gauntlet/maze/arena run against ever increasing (and constantly varied) enemies.

That would be awesome.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Feenix posted:

Naturally whenever I start pondering the longevity of a really great game, I think about what could keep me playing well past the campaign. I was thinking on the bus, some kind of like, Horde-mode co-op (or SP) DLC would be great. Add some more items/weapons/perks, and have this mode where you basically kit out (alone or with a friend) as best you can, and then do this gauntlet/maze/arena run against ever increasing (and constantly varied) enemies.

That would be awesome.

It would, but sadly it will probably never happen. I'd like to see some sort of race mode where you can summon someone else and then you have to race to the end and see who can kill the boss first... or even better, have it via teams, so one team of three vs another team of 3, and you need to get to the boss door. Whichever team goes through the boss door first locks the other team out, and if they kill the boss, the losing team gets killed and the winners get all of their souls. If the team that got there first loses to the boss, then the other team has a chance to do it and if they then win, not only do they get all the souls, but the other team maybe gets soul sucked a little like when you die to something other than the player as a Black Phantom.

That or just group invasions where they can scale based on how many people you have with you, so if you have 2 Blues with you, the invading black can summon some help.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
All that sounds great, but at this point I'd settle just for some announcement from From Software along the lines of "Hey guys, we've got the Valley of the Beastmen [or whatever that broken archstone is called] DLC on the way -- a new world with 3 new levels, 3 new bosses, new weapons and spells, and a guaranteed Pure Bladstone drop."

The ability to combine lower-level ore into higher-level ore would be nice, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

McCoy Pauley posted:

The ability to combine lower-level ore into higher-level ore would be nice, too.

Not to mention breaking down existing weapons into ore components.

• Locked thread