Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halfsharkalligator
Dec 11, 2007

come on feet, cruise for me
come on feet, come on run
Anybody know good websites or starting points for Chicago house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QUEST FOR TIRE
Jun 21, 2005

I'm looking for some poppy experimental albums. A few that I really enjoy are Man Man - Rabbit Habbits, The Fiery Furnaces - Widow City, and the last two Animal Collective albums

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Ewar Woowar posted:

B Complex
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ3Je2_YsBc

Wow I really like this (minus the DJ bullshitting around every couple seconds haha). Sadly Google is failing me and I can't find much out about this B-Complex group, can you point me to a discography or somewhere I can preview/buy their tracks?

That Pendulum album sounds cool too, I'm checkin it out on youtube right now.

Edit: Jesus christ, what's up with B-Complex? I couldn't find poo poo to buy OR download except for a mix mp3. But drat thanks for the recommendation, this is EXACTLY the kind of DnB that I like.

Leathal fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 26, 2009

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009

QUEST FOR TIRE posted:

I'm looking for some poppy experimental albums. A few that I really enjoy are Man Man - Rabbit Habbits, The Fiery Furnaces - Widow City, and the last two Animal Collective albums

Mercury Rev - Yerself is Steam

Knightbus
Mar 20, 2006

Who wants to ride the Knightbus?
I'm looking for some "violent" classical music, preferably heavy on the string section. I know most classical music is based on dynamic range (barley audible to crashingly loud,) but what I'm thinking of is basically very furious and fast violins, as if the player were possessed.
Kind of like what Samvel Yervinyan has done with Yanni, minus the techno beats in the background (I'm sorry if it's actually called house or trance or something, I'm completely ignorant about electronic music.)
I also love when it's accompanied with long, drawn cello parts to contrast the fast/"violent" parts.

Also stuff like Violin Concerto (in E Minor) is cool.

QUEST FOR TIRE
Jun 21, 2005

Stagger_Lee posted:

Mercury Rev - Yerself is Steam

Yes! I love Mercury Rev. Anything else?

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

Knightbus posted:

I'm looking for some "violent" classical music, preferably heavy on the string section. I know most classical music is based on dynamic range (barley audible to crashingly loud,) but what I'm thinking of is basically very furious and fast violins, as if the player were possessed.
Kind of like what Samvel Yervinyan has done with Yanni, minus the techno beats in the background (I'm sorry if it's actually called house or trance or something, I'm completely ignorant about electronic music.)
I also love when it's accompanied with long, drawn cello parts to contrast the fast/"violent" parts.

Also stuff like Violin Concerto (in E Minor) is cool.

Il Giardino Armonico's recording of Vivaldi's Four Seasons. Check out Summer, mainly the last section of it. The guy who announced it when I heard it on public radio was almost scandalized by the ferocity of their rendition.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I'm trying to get more into Shoegaze genre. Already heard My Bloody Valentine, M83 and Slowdive. Didn't really like MBV, M83 is good, but I already love Slowdive, what other bands are there like them?

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Skilleddk posted:

I'm trying to get more into Shoegaze genre. Already heard My Bloody Valentine, M83 and Slowdive. Didn't really like MBV, M83 is good, but I already love Slowdive, what other bands are there like them?

If you're looking for softer stuff with electronics you should definitely check out Cocteau Twins. Treasure and Heaven or Las Vegas are good starting points.

PUSSY BARON
Dec 25, 2005

by mons all madden
What are some other bands like Broadcast and Stereolab? 60s pop/psychedelia meets 90s/2000s?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Skilleddk posted:

Definitely go with Cocteau Twins, as Way Past Cool said. I always think of Slowdive and Cocteau Twins as more dreampop than shoegaze but I guess they're still pretty similar. Also try Asobi Seksu's 'Citrus', and maybe Primary Colours by The Horrors, which is sort of shoegazey post-punk that sounds awesome.

m0nkeysensei
Mar 13, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Suggestions for albums like Thievery corporation - Radio Retaliation ?

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007

Skilleddk posted:

Chapterhouse and Secret Shine.

Chapterhouse is a criminally underrated band that tends to lean more towards the pop-oriented side of shoegaze/dream-pop, and was one of the last great shoegaze bands.

Secret Shine is another 90's shoegaze bands that doesn't get much attention, but inhabits a very ethereal, dreamy atmosphere.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, get Whirlpool and Rownderbowt for Chapterhouse and Untouched for Secret Shine.

3D GAY WORLD fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 27, 2009

Taxxorrak
Jul 22, 2008

Can anyone recommend me good avant-garde jazz?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Taxxorrak posted:

Can anyone recommend me good avant-garde jazz?

I don't know how far you are into the genre, but a great starting place is Art Ensemble of Chicago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=perVFDDy_xg

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica
Might be a little too specific, but I really enjoy The Living Legends and I'm slowly working my way through the 50+ albums released by the group's members and other associated acts. Can somebody recommend some albums or songs to start with?

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Halfsharkalligator posted:

The History of the House Sound of Chicago. It's quite a bit to absorb and since it was released in the late 80's obviously misses out on the great stuff that came out of Chicago in the 90's, but it's pretty drat definitive as far as the roots of Chicago house go.

Guys like Kerri Chandler, DJ Sneak, Ron Trent would be coming up in a few years and their stuff is also very crucial. Become friends with discogs.com, look up labels like Cajual and Relief. Pretty soon you'll be swimming in great music.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
Been getting into noise rock recently, and so far have really enjoyed the following bands:

Big Black
Shellac
Arab on Radar
Lightning Bolt
Fugazi
Les Savy Fav
The Jesus Lizard
Boredoms
Mclusky

Any other essential noise rock bands out there that I may be overlooking?

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

I got handed the first two blood brothers records today and a 'the plot to blow up the eifel tower' (lame name) cd by someone who buys poo poo on hype so he doesnt have anymore recommendations so hit me up on similar stuff.

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

Halfsharkalligator posted:

http://www.deephousepage.com This site has a bunch of old mixes, if you want to hear the tracks in the context of a mix.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009

Xtal posted:

I got handed the first two blood brothers records today and a 'the plot to blow up the eifel tower' (lame name) cd by someone who buys poo poo on hype so he doesnt have anymore recommendations so hit me up on similar stuff.

drive like jehu, rocket from the crypt

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Been getting into noise rock recently, and so far have really enjoyed the following bands:

Big Black
Shellac
Arab on Radar
Lightning Bolt
Fugazi
Les Savy Fav
The Jesus Lizard
Boredoms
Mclusky

Cows, Royal Trux, Rapeman, STNNNG, Young Widows, Witch Hats. Those last three aren't "essential" but they were recommended by someone else on the forums, and I love them.

bomper
Apr 26, 2009

What are the biggest or most important trance/progressive house releases that have come out in the past, say, 3-4 years? Used to listen to Sasha & Digweed and Oakenfold in high school, sorta curious to see what's around today.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

ramen junkie posted:

What are the biggest or most important trance/progressive house releases that have come out in the past, say, 3-4 years? Used to listen to Sasha & Digweed and Oakenfold in high school, sorta curious to see what's around today.

I'm a big fan of the Hernan Cattaneo mixes that he did for renaissance. They veer towards electro a bit in places but still amazing sets in my opinion. I'm not quite sure when they came out but I think in the last couple of years.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Leathal posted:

Wow I really like this (minus the DJ bullshitting around every couple seconds haha). Sadly Google is failing me and I can't find much out about this B-Complex group, can you point me to a discography or somewhere I can preview/buy their tracks?

That Pendulum album sounds cool too, I'm checkin it out on youtube right now.

Edit: Jesus christ, what's up with B-Complex? I couldn't find poo poo to buy OR download except for a mix mp3. But drat thanks for the recommendation, this is EXACTLY the kind of DnB that I like.

Oops sorry for the double post.

Yeah I think B Complex is just some unknown at this point but on the quality I've heard from him so far means I think we'll be hearing more from him.

Other tracks you may like
Future Sound of London- Papa New Guinea (High Contrast mix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5dFo_2amCM
One of my favourite tracks ever remixed to sound just as good as a d+b track.

Apex- The Yearning
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBS65rsLUHs
I was recommended to Apex on here a few months or so ago and was absolutely blown away. Such an awesome dj and such a great track.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

ramen junkie posted:

progressive house has kind of started to splinter off into more minimal-techno inspired scenes and more electro-house inspired scenes, though there are still a handful of djs (zabiela, sasha & diggy, steve lawler, desyn masiello, eric prydz as pryda/cirez d etc) playing some of the same stuff now as they did in the early 00s. hernan cattaneo as mentioned is good, some other fairly new producers to check out: popof, dubfire, paolo mojo, gui boratto, jesse somfay, tigerskin, dusty kid, pole folder, trentemoller, james holden, nic fanciulli, radio slave, nathan fake, jaytech

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Apr 28, 2009

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Big Black
Shellac
Arab on Radar
Lightning Bolt
Fugazi
Les Savy Fav
The Jesus Lizard
Boredoms
Mclusky

You need Killing Joke. That's the essential noise rock you're missing.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

Jeff Wiiver posted:

kingcobweb posted:

Cows, Royal Trux, Rapeman, STNNNG, Young Widows, Witch Hats. Those last three aren't "essential" but they were recommended by someone else on the forums, and I love them.

Technetium posted:

You need Killing Joke. That's the essential noise rock you're missing.

The Birthday Party and Butthole Surfers are the only "essentials" that haven't been mentioned that I can think of, but check out Scratch Acid, Flipper, and Chrome too.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Looking for some good sci-fi/end of the world themed rock/metal, similar to Year Zero, Hanzel und Gretyl's Über Alles, or Tonight The Stars Revolt.

Any suggestions?

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

Stagger_Lee posted:

drive like jehu, rocket from the crypt

From what I've listened to so far these bands don't really sound much like what I'm asking for, I'm more interested in the varying tempos in the songs, jazz influences etc.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Xtal posted:

Go back to 2003 where all that sassy hardcore came from.

Xtal posted:

From what I've listened to so far these bands don't really sound much like what I'm asking for, I'm more interested in the varying tempos in the songs, jazz influences etc.
have you listened to swing kids yet? plot were basically a swing kids/nation of ulysses ripoff band for a while before they went all dancepunky or whatever hipsterness happened to them.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

LofwyrSai posted:

Pendulum - Hold Your Colour is the best album I know of in this style
No way. They make bash you over the head jumpup. The style he's looking of is liquid dnb.

Not my thing, but I bet you'd like some Breakbeat Science comps or something like that.

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

ManoliIsFat posted:

have you listened to swing kids yet? plot were basically a swing kids/nation of ulysses ripoff band for a while before they went all dancepunky or whatever hipsterness happened to them.

Ok I'll check them out thanks. I have no clue about this music.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

aliencowboy posted:

I don't know much about electronic music, but I'm looking for stuff that sounds like Crystal Castles

Extreme Animals > Crystal Castles

http://www.myspace.com/extremeanimals

Halfsharkalligator
Dec 11, 2007

come on feet, cruise for me
come on feet, come on run

Cyne posted:

The History of the House Sound of Chicago. It's quite a bit to absorb and since it was released in the late 80's obviously misses out on the great stuff that came out of Chicago in the 90's, but it's pretty drat definitive as far as the roots of Chicago house go.

Guys like Kerri Chandler, DJ Sneak, Ron Trent would be coming up in a few years and their stuff is also very crucial. Become friends with discogs.com, look up labels like Cajual and Relief. Pretty soon you'll be swimming in great music.

plogo posted:

http://www.deephousepage.com This site has a bunch of old mixes, if you want to hear the tracks in the context of a mix.

Thanks, these are both great :D

The Consultant
Apr 5, 2006

I'm tops and you're horseplops
there's all sorts of music i'm getting into, thanks to anyone who bothers to respond. i'll do my best to contribute here as well.

I've been listening to all sorts of loungy/downtempo/jazz/chillout stuff, everything running the gamut of The Cinematic Orchestra, Thievery Corporation, and long time favorite Bark Psychosis, to more bossa-nova-esque pop stuff like Nouvelle Vague. Now, I love the poo poo out of this genre and have quite a lot of it, but as of late I'm in a bit of a 'electronic mixed with live instrument oriented music sounds like rear end' phase (sup Zero 7, Bonobo, etc), if anyone could recommend me some more live instrument oriented stuff in the genre that would be AMAZING. to be overtly more specific I'm a huge fan of the classy sounding bit at the end of Radiohead - Optimistic that carries into In Limbo.

If anyone knows of Can't Say Goodbye to Yesterday by Harry Gregson-Williams (I think?) on the Metal Gear Solid 2 soundtrack, and knows of some good artists in that genre, please share, that would be great.

Twisted Aristocrat
Feb 1, 2006

by Peatpot

Way Past Cool! posted:

Oxbow's the first thing that comes to mind for me, perhaps An Evil Heat?

This loving owns, thankyou for suggesting it.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Recommend me ridiculously happy electronic bubblegum-ish stuff, please. As in Toy-Box, Smile.dk, ATC, KaW. Anything with a strong beat and an upbeat tune. If there's anything in the genre with lyrics that aren't insanely retarded, that would be awesome, although I've just about given up hope on that front.

The Consultant
Apr 5, 2006

I'm tops and you're horseplops

Ashenai posted:

Recommend me ridiculously happy electronic bubblegum-ish stuff, please. As in Toy-Box, Smile.dk, ATC, KaW. Anything with a strong beat and an upbeat tune. If there's anything in the genre with lyrics that aren't insanely retarded, that would be awesome, although I've just about given up hope on that front.

you mentioned Smile.dk and KaW in the same sentence, so I'm just gonna assume you're into the music game 'scene', perhaps check out the Beatmania IIDX soundtracks - particularly anything in between 8th Style and whatever the most recent is. While there's a lot of variety I think you'll dig it, be warned that a good portion of the songs will contain goofy Japanese singing and or engrish, there's a few gems to be found though (specifically from artists like Ryu, Teranoid, dj Taka).

examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e64C6pVs7AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkcBWabjkrw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0GtjsMVfrk

speaking of dj Taka you could go hunt down his album Milestone, it's pretty well done and the japanese nasaly vocals are kept to a minimum.

examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SQtmToh54M (probably the highlight of the album)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abyYlJ5gJ3M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

The Consultant posted:

you mentioned Smile.dk and KaW in the same sentence, so I'm just gonna assume you're into the music game 'scene'

I'm not, I found Smile.dk in some sort of electronica compilation, and Last.fm showed me KaW. I didn;t know the two had music games in common. Sounds like maybe I should check it out, though. I do quite like your linked videos, though (except the second one, Christ my ears.) Thanks! :)