Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL
How do I install the goon tileset to nethack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I was trying this out in wizard mode, but what's supposed to happen when I'm wearing SDSM and I step on a polymorph trap when Silver Dragons are genocided?

It printed out: "You feel rather silver dragon-ish." Is that a result of being in wizard mode or is this one thing that won't just outright kill you?

Darth l33t
Jul 6, 2000

JawnV6 posted:

I was trying this out in wizard mode, but what's supposed to happen when I'm wearing SDSM and I step on a polymorph trap when Silver Dragons are genocided?

It printed out: "You feel rather silver dragon-ish." Is that a result of being in wizard mode or is this one thing that won't just outright kill you?
This also happens if you try to controlled polymorph into a genocided species. As far as I know, you can't instadie by polymorphing into a genocided species. You do die if you genocide your current polyself, or if you genocide your base race or role and then revert.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.

KarmaticStylee posted:

What's y'all's favorite font for Nethack? I'm rolling Consolas now but I'm looking for a better "@" ;)

wow i'm on d6 and have seen 4 altars

Im on D6 right now, and I'm a chaotic priest. I've seen 3 altars, all chaotic. It's crazy.

Edit: haha, the altar in mine town is chaotic as well

edit 2: another chaotic altar on level 7.

That's right, 5 chaotic altars. By dvl 7.

My two artifact sacrifice gifts? Orcrist and Sting.

TotallyGreen fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Apr 29, 2009

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.

MageMage posted:

How do I install the goon tileset to nethack?

Open the default.nh file in notepad, and paste this in the top

code:
OPTIONS=tile_file:kins32.bmp,tile_height:32,tile_width:32

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
YAAP: http://alt.org/nethack/userdata/Jawn/dumplog/1240644908.nh343.txt

I had been trying cavemen, accidentally hit random role and wound up ascending the barbarian that popped up. Only genocided L, had a written a couple of scrolls to spare but held back. Next time I'm definitely bringing enough gold detection/booze to locate all of the portals without having to play hot/cold with the Amulet, Plane of Fire was stupidly annoying with conflict on.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

So I just started playing; after losing about 20 characters I finally got a Samurai through the entirety of the Gnomish Mines and had made my way to delphi. I had -10AC, +2 gray dragon scale mail, Excalibur, and was level 10. Having played for a little over an hour, I decided to call it quits and typed #quit, thinking it ended the game and saved it for me. Am I sure I want to quit? Well, yes, that's why I typed it. Do you want your possesions identified? What!? gently caress!

#save. #save cost me the best game I've had so far.

BARON BONGHITS
Jul 20, 2005

ahahaha tyeaa smoke weed lick a nigga fartjohnson chet etc blablab dmx guns are strong WOOF WOOF mameshibaaa~

JawnV6 posted:

YAAP: http://alt.org/nethack/userdata/Jawn/dumplog/1240644908.nh343.txt

I had been trying cavemen, accidentally hit random role and wound up ascending the barbarian that popped up. Only genocided L, had a written a couple of scrolls to spare but held back. Next time I'm definitely bringing enough gold detection/booze to locate all of the portals without having to play hot/cold with the Amulet, Plane of Fire was stupidly annoying with conflict on.
Plane of fire is way more bearable if you turn off sparkles in the options, in case you don't already know :shobon:

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002
If it isn't broken, fix it till it is.

Nostrum posted:

#save. #save cost me the best game I've had so far.
Shift-S is a nicer way to save...

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

BARON BONGHITS posted:

Plane of fire is way more bearable if you turn off sparkles in the options, in case you don't already know :shobon:

I had that turned off, it was the dozens of messages telling me about fire elementals and how they felt a little warm before hitting the other fire elemental who also felt a little warm! Pretty sure a "the fire elemental disappears" slipped by me, because when I got within a square the magic portal was ID'd for me.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

JawnV6 posted:

I had that turned off, it was the dozens of messages telling me about fire elementals and how they felt a little warm before hitting the other fire elemental who also felt a little warm! Pretty sure a "the fire elemental disappears" slipped by me, because when I got within a square the magic portal was ID'd for me.

Blind yourself. It removes all those messages and if you are fire resistant you are A-OK!

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
you can hit ESC to cancel message spam but it stops all messages so keep an eye out

BARON BONGHITS
Jul 20, 2005

ahahaha tyeaa smoke weed lick a nigga fartjohnson chet etc blablab dmx guns are strong WOOF WOOF mameshibaaa~

JawnV6 posted:

Hold down space after every turn?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Fury1671 posted:

Blind yourself. It removes all those messages and if you are fire resistant you are A-OK!

This with a little telepathy, warning, etc.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Maldraedior posted:

you can hit ESC to cancel message spam but it stops all messages so keep an eye out

You can hit ESC, then set ^P to display 20 messages at once, and use that to check if anything important happened.

bobwhoops
Oct 29, 2007
YAFAP: http://alt.org/nethack/userdata/johnswamps/dumplog/1240953212.nh343.txt

I used a throwaway name on NAO because I sucked and didn't want bobwhoops' game statistics to be filled with crappy low level deaths (yeah, I know it's dumb). I had never even gotten to the castle before, so this completely surprised me.

It's also strange considering this is one of the worst games I've had. After getting to the castle, completing my quest and the fort, I accidentally explode my BoH, including my WoW with three unused wishes. Never found another source of wishing in the game, I was stuck with -14 AC for the endgame, was only able to genocide L, no magic marker, etc. I did find two huge potion shops and and three wands of death though. Regardless, everything from the VOTD down was a joke. I only came close to dying once, and that was to the high priestess of moloch who paralyzed me and then beat me to half hp, so I just zapped her with a wand of death. Everything else I just mowed down without thinking (including Death). Nerf valkyries.

So ... do I get to put this on my resume?

bobwhoops fucked around with this message at 07:27 on May 2, 2009

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I PLAYED BATTLETOADS AND ALL I GOT WAS A RASH IN MY ASS
I just ascended my first Monk. I'm not sure if my mistakes got me through or not. Like every other monk I play I feel compelled to keep weaponless and vegan conducts.

Broke weaponless on minesend when a Gnome Lord happened to be trapped in the tiny room you've got to dig into. Shortly after broke vegetarian/vegan when I accidentally ate my emergeny lizard corpse. (Which was incredibly frustrating after already surviving a stoning with a potion of acid).

My first sacrifice yielded Stormbringer, and I thought. I've already broke weaponless, might as well use it.

I had to polymorph for a bag of holding, despite running into no less than 5 bones files.

I was afraid of Master Kaen having lost too many Monks to him in the past so I did made a boulder fort and threw fireballs at him until he croaked.

I found a wand of wishing a floor or two before Medusa, after using the engrave wish for some charging scrolls I didn't touch it again until I hit the Vibrating Square. Izchack only had 6 candles so I had to wish for one. Also wished up a ring of conflict while I was at it, just because I the sanctum without is a such a pain.

I made so many stupid mistakes that game. The blooper reel includes such blunders as:
- Blowing up my +5 speed boots trying to enchant something else further.
- Wasting an amulet of life saving because I forgot to switch back from water walking to speed boots after crossing Jubilex's swamp. Something read a cursed scroll of create monster and I got reamed, due to the speed and AC difference.
- Letting Pestilence sneak up on me while burdened with only 1 charge remaining in my wand of death. Conflict and some quick thinking got me out of that one.

Evil Dr. Reef
Sep 3, 2003
I have a PhD in evil!
I can't believe what I just did. 6 loving conducts.
http://alt.org/nethack/userdata/EvilDrReef/dumplog/1241329078.nh343.txt
code:
Voluntary challenges
  You went without food
  You never genocided any monsters
  You never polymorphed an object
  You never changed form
  You used 5 wishes
I started without slow digestion, so I had to pray a few times until I found one in sokoban (identifying every new ring as soon as I could, lucky for me the game was overflowing with scrolls of identify).

It was such a pain to worry about micromanaging hunger once I got the amulet, since it drains hunger at the same rate as a worn ring just for being in your inventory. I was really nervous once I got hungry at about dlvl37 or so, and weak a little ways up after that. Luckily the fruit juice I had was enough to get me back up out of Gehennom, as well as enough to get up to an altar to pray for a full stomach rather than without one.

Despite the difficulty, though, this was more fun than most of my other games. Not sure how that works.

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'

Evil Dr. Reef posted:

Despite the difficulty, though, this was more fun than most of my other games. Not sure how that works.

After a certain point it's ridiculously easy to ascend. Conducts like that keep the game interesting from start through to finish.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Evil Dr. Reef posted:

I can't believe what I just did.

Nice one. How long did you have to go without resistances? Running around without poison resistance until you can get crowned always worries me with foodless games.

Evil Dr. Reef
Sep 3, 2003
I have a PhD in evil!
I was crowned on turn 13200, so more than half the game was spent without resistances. Waaaay longer than I remembered.

Probably the biggest mistake of my game was, after getting to level 14 in the Valley, I decided I'd kill the gremlins that had spawned. The peaceful gremlins. I didn't know that you got an alignment penalty for killing peaceful monsters as a chaotic. By the time I was up to the quest I must have had around -100 alignment. Whoops.

Thankfully, I knew create monster so I spent about 500~1000 or so turns casting that next to an altar to get it back up above 20 so I could actually do the quest. God drat what a hassle that was.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Evil Dr. Reef posted:

Probably the biggest mistake of my game was, after getting to level 14 in the Valley, I decided I'd kill the gremlins that had spawned. The peaceful gremlins. I didn't know that you got an alignment penalty for killing peaceful monsters as a chaotic. By the time I was up to the quest I must have had around -100 alignment. Whoops.

Don't you lose protection if your alignment goes negative, or am I making that up?

Ed: No, I guess that's only if you pray with neg. alignment.

KarmaticStylee
Apr 21, 2007

Aaaaaughibbrgubugbugrguburgle!
don't know if this has been mentioned but here is a cool graphical version of Nethack:

http://glhack.sourceforge.net/screenshots.php

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I have a knight in the early game and he is going kind of slow. Down to level 10 still no poison resistance. I also just lost my warhorse because I let it fight a mimic in a shop after it had almost killed itself trying to kill the shopkeeper. This makes me sad. How important is the horse to a knight? How important is it that I find a new horse?

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'
It isn't important unless you're role playing. My advice is get a Ki-rin. Much more fun thinking of a Knight on an Angelic Angel horse thing.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Mr Right posted:

It isn't important unless you're role playing. My advice is get a Ki-rin. Much more fun thinking of a Knight on an Angelic Angel horse thing.

I figure the only real reason to keep it around is because jousting is just so amazing, but I feel like I probably do more damage with Excalibur anyway, and I can still pound with the lance.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Just make sure you put the saddle somewhere safe so you can come get it again if you want it. They're not exactly common items!

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Mr Right posted:

This (actually, the linked article about the creature it's based on) on makes me want to play a knight or valkyrie and try some major role playing. Normally I wouldn't blow a wish on a saddle, but suddenly it seems worthwhile.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

I have a knight in the early game and he is going kind of slow. Down to level 10 still no poison resistance. I also just lost my warhorse because I let it fight a mimic in a shop after it had almost killed itself trying to kill the shopkeeper. This makes me sad. How important is the horse to a knight? How important is it that I find a new horse?

God this is a really frustrating game. I can't find the stairs to sokoban (!), I still don't have poison resistance, cross-aligned Minetown altar, no freebie magic lamps. I seem to have lucked into a pair of speed boots but that is just about the best thing going on this game.

EDIT: Oh and to top it off, not one single Identify scroll. I have no idea how.

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 15, 2009

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Ogmius815 posted:

God this is a really frustrating game. I can't find the stairs to sokoban (!), I still don't have poison resistance, cross-aligned Minetown altar, no freebie magic lamps. I seem to have lucked into a pair of speed boots but that is just about the best thing going on this game.

EDIT: Oh and to top it off, not one single Identify scroll. I have no idea how.

Don't knock speed boots, they are very useful items! Also, the stairs to Sokoban will always always always be on the dungeon level below the oracle. Since you've explored to level 10, you have been on the level with the second up stairs. There may be a hidden door that you have missed, or maybe the stairs are under something? Check for statues, I tend to not notice them as much as other objects.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

code:
                       ----------
                      /          \
                     /    REST    \
                    /      IN      \
                   /     PEACE      \
                  /                  \
                  |      bort13      |
                  |      213 Au      |
                  |   petrified by   |
                  | trying to tin a  |
                  |    cockatrice    |
                  |  without gloves  |
                  |       2009       |
        _________)/\\_//(\/(/\)/\//\/|_)_______

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

bort posted:

code:
                       ----------
                      /          \
                     /    REST    \
                    /      IN      \
                   /     PEACE      \
                  /                  \
                  |      bort13      |
                  |      213 Au      |
                  |   petrified by   |
                  | trying to tin a  |
                  |    cockatrice    |
                  |  without gloves  |
                  |       2009       |
        _________)/\\_//(\/(/\)/\//\/|_)_______

Why did you want to tin a cockatrice anyway?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Souvenir. I tin all the named monsters I can, personally, so that I can ascend with their remains in my backpack. Ditto dead pets.

Darth l33t
Jul 6, 2000

ToxicFrog posted:

Souvenir. I tin all the named monsters I can, personally, so that I can ascend with their remains in my backpack. Ditto dead pets.
I hope someone ascends with your statue.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Darth l33t posted:

That actually sounds like a really cool thing to do. Ascending with bones files corpses. It's like you're helping them achieve their dreams :unsmith:

Of course, you'd probably have to throw them into an icebox...

Darth l33t
Jul 6, 2000

Broken Loose posted:

That actually sounds like a really cool thing to do. Ascending with bones files corpses. It's like you're helping them achieve their dreams :unsmith:
I once ascended with a partly eaten apple someone had choked on. I figured the guy should be allowed to finish his last meal.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Darth l33t posted:

I wasn't the one who got stoned, I was just offering a theory as to why he would be tinning a 'trice. If I ever get stoned on NAO, though, I'll let you know what level I was on. :)

bobwhoops
Oct 29, 2007
YASD. Apparently the high priest of moloch is pretty tough. I was going for my second ascension (vegan weaponless monk, though I ended up breaking both by accident). I go in hoping to /oD the high priest, but he's got MR. I also can't get out because there's a golem blocking the way. He starts beating the crap out of me, so I take out my /oW to wish for a cockatrice corpse but it's out of charges. I had an "oLS but it would have taken too long to put it on and I only had one potion of full healing. I'm an idiot.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I downloaded this game to try a rogue-like for the first time, and I was immediately placed in a room with no doors or discernible exits. Every game I start, I end up hitting dead ends. Is there a way to reach other floors or something?

Maybe someone can just link me to a decent guide or something...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Almighty Pod posted:

I downloaded this game to try a rogue-like for the first time, and I was immediately placed in a room with no doors or discernible exits. Every game I start, I end up hitting dead ends. Is there a way to reach other floors or something?

Maybe someone can just link me to a decent guide or something...

Search for secret doors - they're fairly common in rooms, and "ends" of corridors, and very rarely somewhere along a corridor. Generally levels fill the map, so if there's a big space somewhere, try searching the walls of rooms facing that area. You get a feel for likely locations of secret doors after playing for a while.

• Locked thread