Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Success! My copy from ebay came today! Now I get flush my grades down the drain with style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beaumains
Aug 8, 2007
HURFDURF scary stories are dumb, I'm so cool i lack even the rudimentary analytical abilities to decipher basic themes and archetypes, anything without fast cars and explosions is for babbies, heh im so goddamn tough and grown up :smug:

Feenix posted:

wow, Old Hero was uncharacteristically easy. So easy it made me nervous. Waiting for the other shoe to drop, so to speak...
[edit] What does the Large Sword of Searching do? Is it better/worse than one-time revival? (Only one time, eh?)

Think of One Time Revival as a 50% HP increase at the cost of some mana and miracle slots. It lasts until it comes into effect, then you can cast it again. One Time Revival is good for going through levels and feeling a little bit more secure about not dying out of nowhere because of a mistime or bad luck (especially in NG+). I would go for it over Large Sword of Searching unless you plan to do some heavy ore-grinding before you beat the game.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Storm King

Easy, but very satisfying fight.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Feenix posted:

Storm King

Easy, but very satisfying fight.

Seriously, it's like the game goes "Okay, sorry I've been such a dick this whole time. Here, have this bigass fuckawesome sword that shoots waves of death and go have some fun."

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.
It's too bad stormruler doesn't work like that everywhere. It'd make the rest of the game hilariously easy if you could just run around annihilating everything with the massive tearing blasts it fires...

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Seriously, how in the gently caress are you supposed to kill BP Selen? This is some sort of sick joke. Let's give a BP that can kill you in 3 hits a sword that totally ignores shields AND let's make you fight her in the swamp where you can't run except for a small little island that's about the size of your meat cleaver. What the christ.

I tried sniping her... didn't work. Tried sniping till she healed, then rush her... didn't work. Tried straight up fighting her with Soul Remains like every other NPC... didn't work. :wtc:

Please someone give me more constructive advice than Sykic because I swear I'm gonna punch him in the face if he says "it's easy man, just get behind her and backstab her" one more time, because I cannot comprehend how someone would even manage that alone. With help, sure, but not alone.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Fuzz posted:

Seriously, how in the gently caress are you supposed to kill BP Selen? This is some sort of sick joke. Let's give a BP that can kill you in 3 hits a sword that totally ignores shields AND let's make you fight her in the swamp where you can't run except for a small little island that's about the size of your meat cleaver. What the christ.

I tried sniping her... didn't work. Tried sniping till she healed, then rush her... didn't work. Tried straight up fighting her with Soul Remains like every other NPC... didn't work. :wtc:

Please someone give me more constructive advice than Sykic because I swear I'm gonna punch him in the face if he says "it's easy man, just get behind her and backstab her" one more time, because I cannot comprehend how someone would even manage that alone. With help, sure, but not alone.
I wore the thief ring because I forgot to take it off, but it helped me get on solid ground before she came after me. I had a fully upgraded Mirdan Hammer + Anti Magic Field, the only thing she could do was run - which she did, and ended up caught in the fence between the first and second sections of the swamp. The range and speed of a pole arm negated her offense, anti magic field took care of the healing.

Space Odin
Dec 31, 2006

Ask me about my great raven...

Fuzz posted:

Seriously, you inspired me to get back into the game, and have made this thread like 3x more entertaining with your departure from the standard "hey I don't have the game but want it, where do I order from guys?!" posts that comprise about 90% of the thread.

Keep it up.

Don't worry, my copy comes in Monday, and I'm sure I'll be recounting my exploits and asking for advice nightly. I'm jazzed as hell.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Fuzz posted:

Two words: Plague Cloud.

Almost every enemy susceptable to Plague turns into a drooling retard once given it. I've killed Selen three times with this exact same method: equip a Graverobber Ring and a Thief Ring, go past the first Fog Door then jump down into the bog, slowly creep around far out of range to get behind her, cast Plague Cloud to inflict Plague (may take a few casts to figure out the range), stand around for 5 minutes as she slowly dies.

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.
My melee focused, magically-challenged character might be in a bit of trouble for BP Selen then. Every black phantom fight has been overcome with the Brushwood shield and a mercury winged spear. Combined with my ludicrously high stamina I can generally just absorb attacks while poking with the spear. But Selen's got Blind so I'd better work out a better tactic...

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Pole arm, you will hit her before she can hit you and you will probably have her staggered after 2 swings. If you have tons of stamina you can just keep poking her till she dies - unless you let her run off into the swamp, which naturally doesn't slow her down.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Got her. By far the easiest method was just to two-hand the cleaver, run in there with a poison resist ring on, and time the R2s just right so she's basically always getting her face pounded into the ground. Got her in the first try. Blind is an odd weapon... it starts with its Dex at S, but if you upgrade it (I'm up to +2 now) it goes "higher" than S and you get extra damage out of it... considering my character is very dex based, it's ridiculously awesome for her... my new Black Phantom setup is Blind in the main, Fatal Secret Dagger +4 in the other. (I need more splinters and 1 more chunk) You meet one of those cleaver assholes, be nimble and just wail on him with Blind. They use something smaller than huge and one handed? Swap to the dagger and riposte stab to the throat for 650 damage.

I actually also managed to sneak up on one guy tonight in 1-4... he knew I was coming, standing around waiting for me at Ostrava. I hide behind a statue with the dragon going nuts, and whip out my Viscous and shoot him a few times in the face, then just patiently wait. He sits around for like 2 minutes, then eventually gets fed up and tries to come at me in that small area. (dragon is still breathing fire) I have my full camo on with the Thief Ring, no glowy, and my Blueblood out... I swing around the statue base, get behind him, stab him in the back with the Fatal Secret for like 560 damage, he has a tiny sliver left, I kick him forward and the dragon roasts him. First time in a long while I've had fun invading as a BP.

serling
Aug 25, 2005

Fuzz posted:

... departure from the standard "hey I don't have the game but want it, where do I order from guys?!" posts that comprise about 90% of the thread.

Now I'm afraid to post here again :saddowns:

In all seriousness though, any tips or things I should be aware of when creating my character? How does magic compared to melee?

How much variety in game-play can I expect if I pick a thief? They're not really known for their resistance to damage, so is this kind of the expert-mode in Demon's Souls? How is the overall balance between the classes? After what I understand they're not as pronounced as they are in other RPG-adventure games ...

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Harlequinade posted:

Now I'm afraid to post here again :saddowns:

In all seriousness though, any tips or things I should be aware of when creating my character? How does magic compared to melee?

How much variety in game-play can I expect if I pick a thief? They're not really known for their resistance to damage, so is this kind of the expert-mode in Demon's Souls? How is the overall balance between the classes? After what I understand they're not as pronounced as they are in other RPG-adventure games ...

Thief is the hardest class to play. It's really satisfying when you get those backstabs and ripostes, but remember that there's really only two bosses in the game that are susceptible to those attacks. Thief is the best starting class for mixing and matching gameplay styles, but focusing exclusively on the thief style of play will leave you very frustrated at bosses.

Demons Holes
Feb 13, 2007

Do you seek soul power? Touch the demon inside me.

Brackhar posted:

Thief is the hardest class to play. It's really satisfying when you get those backstabs and ripostes, but remember that there's really only two bosses in the game that are susceptible to those attacks. Thief is the best starting class for mixing and matching gameplay styles, but focusing exclusively on the thief style of play will leave you very frustrated at bosses.

That's the best part of Demon's Souls.

If you don't like the way your character is going, just farm for a bit and buy some points into whatever you need to suit the next boss fight or stage.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Sunday Punch posted:

It's too bad stormruler doesn't work like that everywhere. It'd make the rest of the game hilariously easy if you could just run around annihilating everything with the massive tearing blasts it fires...

why doesn't it? (I've only swung it twice...)

isnt it byronic
Jul 23, 2007

Brackhar posted:

I was thinking of playing the thief class next since I've settled into a pretty comfortable groove with my knight. Is the thief class really all that viable for stealth? Is there some special bonus that thieves get by virtue of their class? I ask because the thief's ring has been alright for keeping my knight out of trouble, but I really don't think I'd survive long without my armor and heavy weapons.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

pukeshoes posted:

I was thinking of playing the thief class next since I've settled into a pretty comfortable groove with my knight. Is the thief class really all that viable for stealth? Is there some special bonus that thieves get by virtue of their class? I ask because the thief's ring has been alright for keeping my knight out of trouble, but I really don't think I'd survive long without my armor and heavy weapons.
Classes mean nothing beyond starting stats and equip. Stealth versus players is about not having any visible status effects and stacking the few items / spells that make you 'harder to detect' and using the environment to your advantage. Stealth versus monsters is about the thief ring / hide and walking slowly.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

pukeshoes posted:

No, nothing special for being a thief.

What you get out of a thief is a good starting Luck stat for finding grass early and a fairly balanced stat line that could take you in any direction.

Edit: Honestly, that's one of the odd things that I find about the game. Since the classes are only a starting point you have to consciously alter your playing style on a new character or else you end up playing the same thing. That's why I probably won't start any more characters: I LIKE running around with a big rear end sword and smashing things. Yeah, a magic or dex build could probably do better in PvP. That'd be about the only reason I'd want to try something else.

ImpactVector fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 1, 2009

isnt it byronic
Jul 23, 2007
Gotcha, didn't know if there was some special thief armor that made me stealthier or something.

Demons Holes
Feb 13, 2007

pukeshoes posted:

Gotcha, didn't know if there was some special thief armor that made me stealthier or something.

Well, there IS thief armor. Take a look around 3-1 and you'll find it. It's actually a great armor set too, as I've used it through a lot of the game.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
you know what's cool about this game? You can use anything, whenever. Sure you may take a penalty, but so what?

I started as a Magic guy, but I love the Gloom Armor so much (aside from the helmet, I rock Freke's hood, cuz that dude looked at me sideways and tasted my blade. (Miracles are for 34th Street!! Dark Magic, Rahhh!)) that I have been taking an endurance/runspeed/rollspeed hit for more than half the game, and it's quite possible that I will get very close (if not beat) the game before ever having enough of my Endurance leveled to wear that armor without evade-rolling like I was Gabe Newell on fire.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Feenix posted:

you know what's cool about this game? You can use anything, whenever. Sure you may take a penalty, but so what?

I started as a Magic guy, but I love the Gloom Armor so much (aside from the helmet, I rock Freke's hood, cuz that dude looked at me sideways and tasted my blade. (Miracles are for 34th Street!! Dark Magic, Rahhh!)) that I have been taking an endurance/runspeed/rollspeed hit for more than half the game, and it's quite possible that I will get very close (if not beat) the game before ever having enough of my Endurance leveled to wear that armor without evade-rolling like I was Gabe Newell on fire.

Psssh, Gabe Newell can't evade. The force of gravity that he generates ensures that everything would hit him.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Fuzz posted:

Psssh, Gabe Newell can't evade. The force of gravity that he generates ensures that everything would hit him.

I just told the_jizzer (who told me that his copy of DS just shipped) that Demon's Souls is like Alcoholics Anonymous in that everyone should have a 'sponsor'. Someone to go through the good times and the tough alike.

I told him I'd be honored to be his. :)

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

why doesn't it? (I've only swung it twice...)

If you look at the description on it there's some line about how it's only powered up around special monoliths, or something like that.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Tortolia posted:

If you look at the description on it there's some line about how it's only powered up around special monoliths, or something like that.

ah. Neat. I still rely on the Cleaver. But in the right circumstances I'll whip out my StormRuler.

magical_ape
Apr 30, 2008

*Do justice to yourself*
Yeaa Finally after nearly 2 months of waiting Yesasia shipped my copy the other day, 2 days after they sent me an email saying i shouldnt expect them to ship it before 27th may, wasgetting all twitchy and poo poo from wanting to play this so bad,

BRING ON THE DEATHS!

wurzle
Apr 8, 2009
Yet another Cyrstal Gecko question...

Will each crystal gecko respawn once per boss in the world (+1)? Or is there one gecko count for an entire world that is subtracted from whenever you kill one, regardless of which?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

wurzle posted:

Yet another Cyrstal Gecko question...

Will each crystal gecko respawn once per boss in the world (+1)? Or is there one gecko count for an entire world that is subtracted from whenever you kill one, regardless of which?

Each one spawns that many times.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

Well, I just finished the game for the first time today, with Soul Level 78. Holy crap, that final battle with Old King Allant was so intense. I lost quite a few times to him before I finally took him down (including a couple of times when he used his drat soul-level-sucking attack; getting back the souls to level up again was such a pain). It got easier once I learned you usually have enough time to bum-rush him while he charges his ultra-strong magic attack. Still, you couldn't really make one false move or else you were dead.

Overall, I am seriously satisfied with my purchase. It was probably one of the more expensive games I've purchased being an import and all, but I have no real complaints. I'm not sure if I'll go right through the New Game+ right now (maybe a couple of levels to see how much tougher it is than New Game), but it's tempting.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
After playing the game for three days I think I can say I'm hooked. Every time I start to feel confident in my abilities, Demon's souls humbles me in a not so gentle fashion. Example, I played my first coop as blue phantom to get revived and we totally destroyed the 2-1 boss. Now with a fresh body, I head to 1-3 with the intent to beat whatever boss is there. Within a minute, I'm dead from the three soldiers on the stairs. Someone must have told them I was coming becasue all three hit me simultaneously, ruining another perfectly good body :(

IceOrb
Sep 10, 2006

AGENT NAHMAN JAYDEN, FBI.
K. So I got the Keel Smasher (More or less the buster sword) after beating Dragon God but I have no idea exactly HOW I got it. If I understand this correctly the only way to get that weapon is to turn the world tendency white then beat Dragon God. But I've never really been to keen on how to turn the world tendency any which way. So in other words: Dumb luck prevailed and now I have a rare item.

If anyone can provide a way of turning the world tendency white other then beating bosses it would be really useful to a friend of mine. He followed what I thought was the exact steps I took and the world tendency seems to be stuck at a neutral level. (my steps were more or less beat each boss in a row without dying. Only issue is I died... multiple times. And he didn't so we don't know whats going on here.)

Demons Holes
Feb 13, 2007

Nick Biped posted:

I'm not sure if I'll go right through the New Game+ right now (maybe a couple of levels to see how much tougher it is than New Game), but it's tempting.

Cheers on beating your initial run; you should feel pretty accomplished.

Go ahead and start it up, you should be OK. I finished my initial run and started NG+ at about 75 or so, and am now on NG++ at SL 260. Keep farming 4-3 and 4-2 to get those stats up, and grab the black tendency stuff from the regular game before you start NG+ if you can.

Remember; all you have to do to shift your tendency in a world is just die 3 times via an enemy or whatever. Take 3 stones of ephemeral eyes with ya and you'll have it done in no time.

Those black phantoms are much tougher in NG+. I made the mistake of not taking them out in my initial run and then having to fight Satsuki, Miralda, Rydell, etc in NG+ (which is a royal bitch).

Do the white tendency stuff the second time around.

Oh, also kill your nexus NPCs to get their unique items right before you start a new game, since they re-spawn anyway. (I didn't think about this until it was too late...did it on NG+)

NG++ thus far doesn't seem quite as jarring as the difficulty increase between NG and NG+, but that's probably because I've already gotten such a hang of everything and already have the best stuff.

I'm looking forward to scraping through the best I can until NG+7 is in the bag.

Demons Holes
Feb 13, 2007

IceOrb posted:

He followed what I thought was the exact steps I took and the world tendency seems to be stuck at a neutral level. (my steps were more or less beat each boss in a row without dying. Only issue is I died... multiple times. And he didn't so we don't know whats going on here.)

The best advice I can give you:

Make sure when you are working on your tendency stuff to do it offline. Being online will jack up your tendency something fierce. Also remember to never quit out of your game while in the Nexus, as this resets all of your tendencies to neutral.

IceOrb
Sep 10, 2006

E Honda Civic posted:

Make sure when you are working on your tendency stuff to do it offline. Being online will jack up your tendency something fierce. Also remember to never quit out of your game while in the Nexus, as this resets all of your tendencies to neutral.

No poo poo? Why does it gently caress up your world tendency to play online?

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.

E Honda Civic posted:

I don't think it resets them to neutral, I think it just shifts them towards neutral. Although, oddly, I have had worlds go semi-white before when I've never even visited them. And quitting in the Nexus only shifts tendency in online mode.

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.

IceOrb posted:

No poo poo? Why does it gently caress up your world tendency to play online?

I'm not sure anyone knows for certain. Some think it's a bug but I've seen mention on other sites of it having to do with tendency spreading between characters. I wonder if it's really a bug or if it's some gameplay mechanic that isn't well explained or understood.

IceOrb
Sep 10, 2006

Well I'll be damned. I always thought it was bad to quit in a game world. I would return to the Nexus THEN quit cause I thought I'd lose progress. Guess I've been accidentally loving up 4.x this whole time.

While we are on the subject: I'm sure you are aware of the farming ground in 4.2. Well there is a merchant there who sells really cheap arrows. I accidentally whacked him with the Meat Cleaver, Over zealous to kill death I suppose and forgot to make sure I had the bow out, and now he is pissed at me. Leaving the level does nothing and he just stands there ready to kill me. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Demons Holes
Feb 13, 2007

IceOrb posted:

Well I'll be damned. I always thought it was bad to quit in a game world. I would return to the Nexus THEN quit cause I thought I'd lose progress. Guess I've been accidentally loving up 4.x this whole time.

While we are on the subject: I'm sure you are aware of the farming ground in 4.2. Well there is a merchant there who sells really cheap arrows. I accidentally whacked him with the Meat Cleaver, Over zealous to kill death I suppose and forgot to make sure I had the bow out, and now he is pissed at me. Leaving the level does nothing and he just stands there ready to kill me. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

As far as I know (and have noticed at least in my game) quitting game in the Nexus resets your world tendencies all back to neutral. Maybe I'm just a victim of the bug that's going around. But hey, do it offline anyway. Better safe than sorry right?

As far as Graverobber Blige goes, go ahead and kill him. I'm pretty sure that's going to be your only option at this point. Just buy some arrows from the blacksmith in the Nexus and head down there, since you have to leave the world in between farming anyhow. This way he won't be standing there waiting to kill you each time.

He's really not that crucial to have around. But be warned that your tendency will shift toward black (character and world) if you DO kill him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceOrb
Sep 10, 2006

E Honda Civic posted:

As far as I know (and have noticed at least in my game) quitting game in the Nexus resets your world tendencies all back to neutral. Maybe I'm just a victim of the bug that's going around. But hey, do it offline anyway. Better safe than sorry right?

As far as Graverobber Blige goes, go ahead and kill him. I'm pretty sure that's going to be your only option at this point. Just buy some arrows from the blacksmith in the Nexus and head down there, since you have to leave the world in between farming anyhow. This way he won't be standing there waiting to kill you each time.

He's really not that crucial to have around. But be warned that your tendency will shift toward black (character and world) if you DO kill him.

He sells cheap arrows, 10 per arrow, and as far as I can see the only person who sells Toad Arrows. (the flame elemental in 2.2 and the dragon in 1.2 are both extremely weak to these arrows) so I really really didn't want to hear that... Ugh.

• Locked thread