Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

The Consultant posted:

I've been listening to all sorts of loungy/downtempo/jazz/chillout stuff, everything running the gamut of The Cinematic Orchestra, Thievery Corporation, and long time favorite Bark Psychosis, to more bossa-nova-esque pop stuff like Nouvelle Vague. Now, I love the poo poo out of this genre and have quite a lot of it, but as of late I'm in a bit of a 'electronic mixed with live instrument oriented music sounds like rear end' phase (sup Zero 7, Bonobo, etc), if anyone could recommend me some more live instrument oriented stuff in the genre that would be AMAZING. to be overtly more specific I'm a huge fan of the classy sounding bit at the end of Radiohead - Optimistic that carries into In Limbo.

try Tortoise, United Future Organization, Jaga Jazzist, Liquid Soul and The Brand New Heavies. also maybe Senor Coconut, they don't sound like the end of that radiohead song but they do remind me of Nouvelle Vague and their stuff is live. i have to say though, i'm also a pretty big fan of the genre and from what i've heard the sample-based producers (xploding plastix, wagon christ, thievery corporation etc) making that kind of music are consistently better than the live guys with the exception of Cinematic Orchestra IMO. the live bands tend to sound a lot more like straight up jazz with a hip hop or house beat, or kind of Jamiroquai style funky house with real instruments, not like Ninja Tune Records brand of acid jazz. i don't really see why not playing live instruments bothers you, though, when sampling's done well it either sounds enough like real instruments or is mixed together in an artful way, ideally most of them seem like they want it to sound like a hip hop dj mixing two funk records together which isn't electronic at all. i get what you mean with artists that use a lot of synths and cheesy computery effects though.

Ashenai: Search last.fm for artists tagged with 'eurobeat'
you will thank me for this i promise
also, e-rotic

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 29, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

The Consultant posted:

I've been listening to all sorts of loungy/downtempo/jazz/chillout stuff, everything running the gamut of The Cinematic Orchestra, Thievery Corporation, and long time favorite Bark Psychosis, to more bossa-nova-esque pop stuff like Nouvelle Vague. Now, I love the poo poo out of this genre and have quite a lot of it, but as of late I'm in a bit of a 'electronic mixed with live instrument oriented music sounds like rear end' phase (sup Zero 7, Bonobo, etc), if anyone could recommend me some more live instrument oriented stuff in the genre that would be AMAZING. to be overtly more specific I'm a huge fan of the classy sounding bit at the end of Radiohead - Optimistic that carries into In Limbo.

I'm not sure if you'd like Bitter:Sweet or think they sound like rear end, but I'd definitely describe them as loungey and jazzy. They're not as downtempo as something like Thievery Corporation or Portishead, but they definitely have that smoky, sexy, retro vibe.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

Technetium posted:

You need Killing Joke. That's the essential noise rock you're missing.

Killing Loaf posted:

The Birthday Party and Butthole Surfers are the only "essentials" that haven't been mentioned that I can think of, but check out Scratch Acid, Flipper, and Chrome too.

kingcobweb posted:

Cows, Royal Trux, Rapeman, STNNNG, Young Widows, Witch Hats. Those last three aren't "essential" but they were recommended by someone else on the forums, and I love them.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, downloaded Killing Joke's "What's This For?", The Cows' "Cunning Stunts" and Flipper's "Generic" with my Zune Pass. I've heard so many good things about Killing Joke, can't believe it took me this long to actually get into them. Thanks again.

Twisted Aristocrat
Feb 1, 2006

by Peatpot

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Been getting into noise rock recently, and so far have really enjoyed the following bands:

Big Black
Shellac
Arab on Radar
Lightning Bolt
Fugazi
Les Savy Fav
The Jesus Lizard
Boredoms
Mclusky

Any other essential noise rock bands out there that I may be overlooking?

Yes.

Black Eyes - Black Eyes
Swans - Filth
Oxbow - An Evil Heat
Pissed Jeans - Shallow
Genghis Tron - either album. I got into them by listening to "Dead Mountain Mouth" first but the second album owns hards too, so....

If you like the Flipper album then definately get the pissed jeans record.

Twisted Aristocrat fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 29, 2009

Twisted Aristocrat
Feb 1, 2006

by Peatpot
But primarily seconding The Birthday Party because they're probably the best band ever. Excluding Godspeed i guess :/

Muffin Loaf
Aug 9, 2006

You muffin to me?
You muffin to ME?
So I have a conundrum. I've immensely enjoyed the bits of amateur DJing I've done, and I want to play all the EDM songs I love in front of crowds of people (at college). However, I think roughly 98% of the music I download/youtube/otherwise investigate is crap. I need to build up a decent library of tracks I really like, but it's hard at this rate. I get some huge anthology or what have you, and only 3 or 4 songs will stick out from hundreds. I have this sneaking suspicion that I'm just not looking in the right places.

I'm mostly into genres starting with "hard-", mainly hard trance. Some of my favorite tracks I've found are Stay Where You Are by Batch, Bangin' by Vandall, and Make Me Shake by Ananda Shake. As you can gather if you're familiar with those songs, I like big climaxes, a relatively abrasive sound palette, and I'm not big on "real" vocals (ie verses, choruses, etc. Samples are fine good.) A few more artists I've heard and liked are DJ Kubrick, Technikal, Arome, Darude.

So, what big artists/tracks should I make sure to hear in the areas of hard trance, hardstyle, goa trance, et al?

The Consultant
Apr 5, 2006

I'm tops and you're horseplops

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Bitter:Sweet

not bad, cheers :)

etard knievel posted:

try Tortoise, United Future Organization, Jaga Jazzist, Liquid Soul and The Brand New Heavies. also maybe Senor Coconut, they don't sound like the end of that radiohead song but they do remind me of Nouvelle Vague and their stuff is live. i have to say though, i'm also a pretty big fan of the genre and from what i've heard the sample-based producers (xploding plastix, wagon christ, thievery corporation etc) making that kind of music are consistently better than the live guys with the exception of Cinematic Orchestra IMO. the live bands tend to sound a lot more like straight up jazz with a hip hop or house beat, or kind of Jamiroquai style funky house with real instruments, not like Ninja Tune Records brand of acid jazz. i don't really see why not playing live instruments bothers you, though, when sampling's done well it either sounds enough like real instruments or is mixed together in an artful way, ideally most of them seem like they want it to sound like a hip hop dj mixing two funk records together which isn't electronic at all. i get what you mean with artists that use a lot of synths and cheesy computery effects though.

thanks much for the recommendations, I'll be sure to give em a go. I worked volunteered in a studio last year, with hours spent as the one trying to augment and disguise sampled instrument tracks and such over recordings, it's become pretty easy to tell what's post production and what's not. I'm all for electronica and experimentation, but when samples are made to sound like the real thing sheer lack of depth or proper mastering can really ruin some brilliant compositions.

if you're into Tortoise and this genre in general i highly recommend you hunt down a Bark Psychosis album.

Knighty21
Feb 10, 2004

i am not batman

QUEST FOR TIRE posted:

Yes! I love Mercury Rev. Anything else?

You'll like Furniture - Twilight Chases the Sun. Also check out The Radio Dept. They're not really experimental, but I've noticed lots of crossover between them and Mercury Rev.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol

Muffin Loaf posted:

So I have a conundrum. I've immensely enjoyed the bits of amateur DJing I've done, and I want to play all the EDM songs I love in front of crowds of people (at college). However, I think roughly 98% of the music I download/youtube/otherwise investigate is crap. I need to build up a decent library of tracks I really like, but it's hard at this rate. I get some huge anthology or what have you, and only 3 or 4 songs will stick out from hundreds. I have this sneaking suspicion that I'm just not looking in the right places.

I'm mostly into genres starting with "hard-", mainly hard trance. Some of my favorite tracks I've found are Stay Where You Are by Batch, Bangin' by Vandall, and Make Me Shake by Ananda Shake. As you can gather if you're familiar with those songs, I like big climaxes, a relatively abrasive sound palette, and I'm not big on "real" vocals (ie verses, choruses, etc. Samples are fine good.) A few more artists I've heard and liked are DJ Kubrick, Technikal, Arome, Darude.

So, what big artists/tracks should I make sure to hear in the areas of hard trance, hardstyle, goa trance, et al?

Hard trance: Dark by Design, Phil York, Scot Project, Yoji, Alex Kidd, Lucas Antolini. Hardstyle the obvious ones are Headhunterz, Showtek, Technoboy and the labels Scantraxx, Dance Pollution, Dutch Master Works, Fusion. Personally my favourite hardstyle track is Builder - Her Voice, has a great breakdown check that out.

Aturaten
Mar 23, 2008

by elpintogrande
Looking for 3 things. As much as I love my music now, when you work on the computer 8 hours a day with music playing at all times, you like a little variety. I am woefully ignorant of music in general, and it's pretty much limited to eighties metal at this point.

The first is rap that isn't poo poo. I refuse to believe that what Lil' Wayne puts out is the pinnacle of what it can sound like. I am not a fan of any "black plight" music, nor hos or bitches, or any songs that use the word "nigga/friend of the family" non-sarcastically.

The second is electronic, ambient, and techno music. Anything good even remotely in this genre, I'll try it.

The last is orchestrated music. I'm not a fan of the "frilly" sounding Mozart or Tchaikovsky pieces. Think the soundtracks to video games such as Castlevania.

Thanks to anyone who can help me out.

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

e:nm

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Aturaten posted:

Looking for 3 things. As much as I love my music now, when you work on the computer 8 hours a day with music playing at all times, you like a little variety. I am woefully ignorant of music in general, and it's pretty much limited to eighties metal at this point.

The first is rap that isn't poo poo. I refuse to believe that what Lil' Wayne puts out is the pinnacle of what it can sound like. I am not a fan of any "black plight" music, nor hos or bitches, or any songs that use the word "nigga/friend of the family" non-sarcastically.

The second is electronic, ambient, and techno music. Anything good even remotely in this genre, I'll try it.

The last is orchestrated music. I'm not a fan of the "frilly" sounding Mozart or Tchaikovsky pieces. Think the soundtracks to video games such as Castlevania.

Thanks to anyone who can help me out.

Sounds like you might enjoy

1)White person backpacker bullshit. Look up anticon. They're terrible, but I'd wager you'll enjoy them.

2)Probably Aphex Twin.

3) Some more video game soundtracks! Like a Final Fantasy or something. (I guess Holst's Planets suite might fit here, or some bombastic poo poo like certain Wagner/Bruckner pieces, also).

Aturaten
Mar 23, 2008

by elpintogrande

cryme posted:

patronizing bullshit

hurrr.

Anticon is possibly the worst poo poo I've ever listened to, by the way.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009

Aturaten posted:

This is kind of difficult not to flame, but I guess you're looking for positive hip-hop that doesn't try to confront what it means to be black in America or whatever? Maybe try A Tribe Called Quest "Award Tour", Beastie Boys "The Sounds of Science", Aesop Rock's "Daylight", Gang Starr's "Soliloquoy of Chaos," Dr. Octogon's "Earth People", Digable Planets, "Cool Like That."

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you
Asher Roth doesn't confront the realities of race in America; maybe you'd like him.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Aturaten posted:

hurrr.

then maybe the masterminds on Definitive Jux will be more to your liking.

Aturaten
Mar 23, 2008

by elpintogrande
Alright, the rap was not the main concern, I'm looking more for the electronic and orchestrated music. Anything good.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Shostakovich is pretty good I hear.

Seriously Fat Homo
Feb 26, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

Aturaten posted:

For the rap I would probably recommend Poor Righteous Teachers, X-Clan, maybe some Apache and Paris too. They all have pretty laid back jazzy beats.

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

Aturaten posted:

hurrr.

Well the requirements you laid out pretty much preclude most rap that has any kind of real cultural or artistic significance. Garbage begets garbage. If you can't deal with the "black plight" and "friend of the family" aspects of something like Wu-Tang or Tribe or Gangstarr or whatever, you might as well just pick up some MC Chris and maybe drool absentmindedly a lil bit on yo shirt. I like Atmosphere, it's pretty much all about depression and breakups, so you might want to try that.

As for electronic music, Tangerine Dream's "Rubycon", Meat Beat Manifesto's "Actual Sounds and Voices", check out the Sleepin Music thread for ambient, Venetian Snares' "Rossz csillag alatt született", LFO's Sheath.

For classical, Bach's Brandenburg Concertos, Vivaldi's Four Seasons, Stravinsky's Rites of Spring.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

cryme posted:

Wagner

cryme beat me to it. Wagner is not frilly, and as a plus, he would probably share your opinions on rap!

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Aturaten posted:

Wanting rap that's not about "bitches and hos" is one thing, but what the hell do you have against "black plight"?

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

You'd like some People Under The Stairs they just rap about smoking weed and kicking it.

xpistos
Jan 4, 2008

i saw the face of god and it was beautiful

Aturaten posted:

i recommend you kill yourself PROBATE ME I DONT CARE gently caress THIS GUY

Aturaten
Mar 23, 2008

by elpintogrande

Way Past Cool! posted:

Wanting rap that's not about "bitches and hos" is one thing, but what the hell do you have against "black plight"?

Because I've heard it all before. It doesn't interest me; I've grown up in ghettos all my life. I find it mundane and boring. I'm not American, either. I can appreciate Tupac and Biggie Smalls, sure, it's just not the type of music I enjoy.

miss Santa
Apr 29, 2008
I love Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds and Tom Waits, what else could I like?

Twisted Aristocrat
Feb 1, 2006

by Peatpot

Way Past Cool! posted:

In reply to this and everyone else who has a problem with what he asked:

You can actually just not want to hear about something in a music record without necessarily disagreeing with it.

More specifically though, the topic of race in hip hop isn't really covered by labelling it descriptive of "black plight". A lot of the stuff 'conscious' rappers like mos def put out is pretentious conspiracy theory nonsense. Then there's the often overtly (or more often implicit) racist, anti white agenda. I don't really blame someone for not wanting to listen to it.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Aturaten posted:

My guess is that you're looking for someone who raps about gorons and goombas. There's no way you can be even minimally aware of music and not have heard hip hop which is not Lil Wayne, does not talk about hos or bitches, or say any permutation of the N word in excess. Granted saying nigga is pretty common in hip hop lyrics but I find it hard to believe you'll be nodding your head and enjoying something, hear the word "nigga" in a verse somewhere, and then just shut it off in anger.

You're on the internet. How have you gone this long without someone telling you "Yeah I only listen to real hip-hop like J5 and Blackalicious"?

LofwyrSai
Jul 19, 2006

Le réalité et toi, vous ne vous entendez pas, n'est-ce pas?

xpistos posted:

i recommend you kill yourself PROBATE ME I DONT CARE gently caress THIS GUY

I agree - Aturaten fucks up any thread. Stop posting please.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Twisted Aristocrat posted:

In reply to this and everyone else who has a problem with what he asked:

You can actually just not want to hear about something in a music record without necessarily disagreeing with it.

More specifically though, the topic of race in hip hop isn't really covered by labelling it descriptive of "black plight". A lot of the stuff 'conscious' rappers like mos def put out is pretentious conspiracy theory nonsense. Then there's the often overtly (or more often implicit) racist, anti white agenda. I don't really blame someone for not wanting to listen to it.

What is this "racist, anti white agenda" you're talking about?

Twisted Aristocrat
Feb 1, 2006

by Peatpot

kingcobweb posted:

What is this "racist, anti white agenda" you're talking about?

Like calling people cracker, for instance.

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

Yeah, when someone says "cracker" in a song it hurts my feelings too :'(

Twisted Aristocrat
Feb 1, 2006

by Peatpot

Dongsmith posted:

Yeah, when someone says "cracker" in a song it hurts my feelings too :'(

That's a pretty stupid thing to say though isn't it, because I'm not saying it's hurting my feelings. I'm saying that in a genre of music that puts such emphasis on lyrical content, if the content is ignorant/pretentious/boring, then it probably isn't worth listening to.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
shut the gently caress up about rap music and recommend me some more Stevie Wonder other then Innvervisions.

xpistos
Jan 4, 2008

i saw the face of god and it was beautiful

That's a pretty stupid thing to say though isn't it, because I'm not saying it's hurting my feelings. I'm saying that in a genre of music that puts such emphasis on lyrical content, if the content is ignorant/pretentious/boring, then it probably isn't worth listening to.

in a forum which puts so much emphasis on words yours are bad and should not be read

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

Songs in the Key of Life
Talking Book

best two albums, and presonally songs... is in my top five of all time

Yoghurt
Dec 18, 2006

We have always been at war with scenesters

Dongsmith posted:

Well the requirements you laid out pretty much preclude most rap that has any kind of real cultural or artistic significance.

Wrong, De La Soul

Aturaten
Mar 23, 2008

by elpintogrande

Yoghurt posted:

Wrong, De La Soul

Well De La Soul kicks rear end. Anymore like this?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

How is that racist? It's a term for the race that has been oppressing them for hundreds of years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aturaten
Mar 23, 2008

by elpintogrande

kingcobweb posted:

How is that racist? It's a term for the race that has been oppressing them for hundreds of years.

If directed at all white people, then yes, it's racist. If they're calling some bigoted hick a cracker, then it's just pejorative.