Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twisted Aristocrat
Feb 1, 2006

by Peatpot

kingcobweb posted:

How is that racist? It's a term for the race that has been oppressing them for hundreds of years.

It's racist because it's explicitly racist..

What you just said is the equivalent of me referring to black people as niggers and then justifying it by saying "Sorry but this is the term i use for the race that has been breaking into my home/on welfare/etc for x amount of years".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Aturaten posted:

Well De La Soul kicks rear end. Anymore like this?

If you wanted rap that's similar to De la Soul why didn't you ask for that in the first place? Your original post was terrible because you only listed a few artists you didn't like and didn't give any examples of things you like besides a video game soundtrack.

Munky from KORN posted:

You're on the internet. How have you gone this long without someone telling you "Yeah I only listen to real hip-hop like J5 and Blackalicious"?

I'm guessing because J5 occasionally say the N-word and Blackalicious has "black" in the name.

Aturaten posted:

If directed at all white people, then yes, it's racist. If they're calling some bigoted hick a cracker, then it's just pejorative.

Congratulations on agreeing with Twisted Aristocrat's fakepost.

Twisted Aristocrat
Feb 1, 2006

by Peatpot

Way Past Cool! posted:

I'm not fakeposting.

Aturaten
Mar 23, 2008

by elpintogrande

quote:

If you wanted rap that's similar to De la Soul why didn't you ask for that in the first place? Your original post was terrible because you only listed a few artists you didn't like and didn't give any examples of things you like besides a video game soundtrack.

Because I didn't know about them?

Way Past Cool! posted:

I'm guessing because J5 occasionally say the N-word and Blackalicious has "black" in the name.

Never even heard of these. I haven't frequented forums until relatively recently.

quote:

If you intend a term to be racist, then it's racist, assuming you're using the colloquial and most commonly understood meaning, and not the belief in racial superiority by the racial majority (institutionalized racism). If you ARE being pedantic on an internet comedy website, the word cracker is, when directed toward a person/group of people from Caucasian background, a racial epithet at best.

That's it, i'm done, recommend me some more rap like De La Soul.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Guys take the race discussion to another thread, this isn't the place for it.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Aturaten posted:

Because I didn't know about them?

That's it, i'm done, recommend me some more rap like De La Soul.

My mistake, I just realized you listened to some De la Soul after your initial post. In that case, A Tribe Called Quest and Pete Rock and CL Smooth are similar. Last.fm http://www.last.fm/music/De+La+Soul and allmusic http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:wvfyxq85ldke are good resources for finding similar artists.

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

Try A Tribe Called Quest they are probably something you would like if you enjoy De La.

farmtrill fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 2, 2009

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

miss Santa posted:

I love Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds and Tom Waits, what else could I like?

Try folk singer William Elliott Whitmore, alt-country goddess Neko Case (specifically her album Blacklisted), and legendary Irish traditional/punk band The Pogues (specifically their album Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash). All very different from each other (and from Cave and Waits), but they are all brilliant lyricists and storytellers, and there is a streak of darkness permeating all their music.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

shut the gently caress up about rap music and recommend me some more Stevie Wonder other then Innvervisions.

I'm one of the only people who will do this, but if you can get The Secret Life of Plants, I would definitely recommend that wholeheartedly. It's different from most of his other albums, and he tries to use a lot of other influences. It's one of my favorites of his. That, Innervisions, and Music of My Mind are what I consider his top 3.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 2, 2009

Goonte Kente
Feb 19, 2008

by Peatpot
edit: meant for the free mp3 thread, I'm retarded

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Goonte Kente fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 6, 2009

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
opps

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Femur posted:

This is not really a recommendation request but could anyone help me identify a song. I don't know the name or can't give you a sample, but I think it might be well known:

I usually hear it when a story about "medieval" time is about to happen, like opening to a medieval story, or just a parody of medieval time. It's basically string instruments only- and maybe a flute? I can't think of the last specific time I've heard it, but I know it was on an episode of Animaniacs.

I had the song once many years ago, but lost it, for some reason, leaf and golden comes to mine as the title, but can't find anything.

We have a thread here for identifying songs. Look down.

CinnamonToastFunk
Nov 11, 2008

"He is ill clothed that is bare of funk."
--Pimpjammin Funklin
What's a good way to get into New Wave? I love the poo poo out of Gary Numan and Klaus Nomi, but I haven't really explored the genre outside of them.

Femur posted:

This is not really a recommendation request but could anyone help me identify a song. I don't know the name or can't give you a sample, but I think it might be well known:

I usually hear it when a story about "medieval" time is about to happen, like opening to a medieval story, or just a parody of medieval time. It's basically string instruments only- and maybe a flute? I can't think of the last specific time I've heard it, but I know it was on an episode of Animaniacs.

I had the song once many years ago, but lost it, for some reason, leaf and golden comes to mine as the title, but can't find anything.

Might be Overture to the Sun by Sunforest. It was used in A Clockwork Orange and I remember hearing it in an episode of Rugrats when I was a tike.

CinnamonToastFunk fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 3, 2009

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Femur posted:

This?

Wild Cantaloupe
Jun 16, 2008

:420:fly like paper, get high like planes:420:
In terms of heavy music, I listen to the canon stoner rock/metal bands (kyuss, sleep, high on fire, electric wizard) then the GA group of recent metal bands (Baroness, Mastodon, Kylesa, Torche), and also Boris I guess. So I was wondering where else and what else I should start looking into in terms of metal?

Another question I have is: what other groups sound like hosed Up? I really like the mix of lots of layers of guitars with the intensity of it and whatnot.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Wild Cantaloupe posted:

In terms of heavy music, I listen to the canon stoner rock/metal bands (kyuss, sleep, high on fire, electric wizard) then the GA group of recent metal bands (Baroness, Mastodon, Kylesa, Torche), and also Boris I guess. So I was wondering where else and what else I should start looking into in terms of metal?

There's the earliest doom metal bands that played slower Black Sabbath inspired stuff in the 80s like Pentagram, Witchfinder General, Saint Vitus, Trouble, The Obsessed, and Candlemass.

Then there's the Melvins, who were one of the first bands to mix punk with doom, paving the way for sludge metal. They were especially influential to some of the bands you mentioned.

Earth - early drone metal

Neurosis - early post metal

Southern sludge - Acid Bath, Corrosion of Conformity, Crowbar, Down, Eyehategod

There's a bunch more, but those are probably the most "essential" especially Melvins. More info in this thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2512135

Pomplamoose fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 3, 2009

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Wild Cantaloupe posted:

Another question I have is: what other groups sound like hosed Up? I really like the mix of lots of layers of guitars with the intensity of it and whatnot.
Well, they're post-hardcore with some shoegaze elements, so I'd check out canon post-hardcore/"underground" bands like Dinosaur Jr, and maybe noise-rock like The Jesus Lizard.

Wild Cantaloupe
Jun 16, 2008

:420:fly like paper, get high like planes:420:
Thanks Way Past Cool, I'll check those out.

kingcobweb posted:

Well, they're post-hardcore with some shoegaze elements, so I'd check out canon post-hardcore/"underground" bands like Dinosaur Jr, and maybe noise-rock like The Jesus Lizard.

I listen to Dinosaur Jr., at least what I think are some of the other canon underground/hardcore/post-hardcore bands (although I'm never really sure how to categorize them) like Sonic Youth / Husker Du / Sebadoh / Minutemen.

I really love the Jesus Lizard, and the only other think like it that I listen to is Big Black, which I only have Songs About loving from.

Maybe what I'm looking for is intense shoegazing? My only exposure to shoegazing is really My Bloody Valentine and Slowdive.

Thanks for all the help

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Wild Cantaloupe posted:

I really love the Jesus Lizard, and the only other think like it that I listen to is Big Black, which I only have Songs About loving from.

Maybe what I'm looking for is intense shoegazing? My only exposure to shoegazing is really My Bloody Valentine and Slowdive.

Thanks for all the help

You're probably better off looking for Black Flag style hardcore than shoegaze. There's also some good noise recs on the last 2 pages http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3056853&pagenumber=14&perpage=40#post359999691

edit for link

Pomplamoose fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 3, 2009

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Wild Cantaloupe posted:

I listen to Dinosaur Jr., at least what I think are some of the other canon underground/hardcore/post-hardcore bands (although I'm never really sure how to categorize them) like Sonic Youth / Husker Du / Sebadoh / Minutemen.

Thanks for all the help

I just got their album yesterday, but I think that Cherubs - Heroin Man is exactly what you're looking for. Though I've seen a lot of people hate on them, A Place To Bury Strangers seems right up your alley, too. Halfway between MBV and noise rock. And I think that WPC may have actually meant to link to page 14 in this thread (there was discussion of noise rock there).

Yad Rock
Mar 1, 2005

Wild Cantaloupe posted:

Thanks for all the help

Swervedriver does the "aggressive" shoegaze thing well, so you can check this out and you'll know within the first 5-10 seconds if this is what you're looking for or not:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHva52tOoeo

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I'm looking for some cheesy sounding spacey keyboard/synth music to chillout to.

Here's some stuff I found youtube that I liked:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDgXtbI1sJM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f7bp645Bsg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRcvh4aV9qU

I like to listen to this kind of stuff and PONDER THE COSMOS.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 3, 2009

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

aliencowboy posted:

I'm looking for some cheesy sounding spacey keyboard/synth music to chillout to.
Have you hheard Ratatat?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

guppy posted:

Have you hheard Ratatat?

I like Ratatat, but it's really not what I'm looking for. I edited my post with some links since I was kinda vague. I don't really have an extensive nomenclature when it comes to sub genres of electronic music, I guess I'm looking for more of a new wave sound.

Muffin Loaf
Aug 9, 2006

You muffin to me?
You muffin to ME?

guppy posted:

Have you hheard Ratatat?

What are some more bands like ratatat? I never really thought much of them until I saw them live recently; now I can't get enough of them.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

aliencowboy posted:

I have no recommendations, but wow, this is great!

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
I want some metal that's extremely fast/heavy with clean(not growling) vocals, like Strapping Young Lad or Death's last album. I also want some technical death metal, I have all of Death's, Necrophagist's and Decapitated's albums already.

edit: I'm also not a very big fan of death metal, but I strangely like Cryptopsy a lot so any recommendations on that would be nice.

CharlesWillisMaddox fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 3, 2009

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Muffin Loaf posted:

What are some more bands like ratatat? I never really thought much of them until I saw them live recently; now I can't get enough of them.

I searched for similar bands for a long time now, I don't think there are any :(

m0nkeysensei
Mar 13, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Looking for more angry sounding post-rock similar to 65daysofstatic.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

m0nkeysensei posted:

Looking for more angry sounding post-rock similar to 65daysofstatic.

Maybeshewill, if you're just looking for that cool glitchy post-rock stuff. Té is angry, I guess, I wouldn't really call it angry, just fast paced or aggressive. If you want angrier sounding stuff you can always branch into post-metal too with bands like Neurosis who build up into an actual angry climax.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

aliencowboy posted:

Ashra - New Age of Earth
Tangerine Dream - Tangram
Vangelis - Albedo 0.39
Jean-Michel Jarre - Oxygene
Jonn Serrie - Lumia Nights (more recent and doesn't sound exactly like the others but I think it fits the mood you want)

Also get a Hearts of Space subscription and listen to some of their old shows - you'll find a LOT of this kind of stuff there.

Cyne fucked around with this message at 10:20 on May 4, 2009

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005
What is your favorite fun or summery-sounding reggae album? I'm looking for that, and if your first thought has to do with Bob Marley or 311 please don't recommend me anything.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Final Fantasy Baseball posted:

What is your favorite fun or summery-sounding reggae album? I'm looking for that, and if your first thought has to do with Bob Marley or 311 please don't recommend me anything.

So if you're a reggae fan, and someone asks for some reggae and their first thought is the most popular reggae artist of all time, you don't want their recommendations?

Alright I guess.. I'll just wait for someone else as it appears I am not qualified.

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

So if you're a reggae fan, and someone asks for some reggae and their first thought is the most popular reggae artist of all time, you don't want their recommendations?

Alright I guess.. I'll just wait for someone else as it appears I am not qualified.

It's just because I already know who the most popular and cliche reggae artists are, I'm just hoping for a recommendation from somebody that has a depth of knowledge I guess

edit - HAI are you reading this

edit 2 - I don't hate Bob Marley, it's just kinda cliche, ya know

Final Fart Buttball fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 4, 2009

Gaza
Jul 16, 2008
Reccomend me carnatic/indian music or anything with a tabla/sitar.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Demolisher posted:

Reccomend me carnatic/indian music or anything with a tabla/sitar.

Hindustani classical:

Allauddin Khan, Annapurna Devi, Gangubai Hangal, Bhimsen Joshi, Ustad Bade Ghulam Ali Khan, Ustad Vilayat Khan, Kumar Gandharva, Ali Akbar Khan, Abdul Karim Khan, Abdul Wahid Khan, Faiyaz Khan, Kishori Amonkar, Semmangudi Srinivasa Iyer, Krishnarao Shankar, Lakshmi Shankar, Zia Mohiuddin Dagar, Zia Fariduddin Dagar, Sayeeduddin Dagar, Ustad Amir Khan, Hirabai Barodekar, Pandit Jasraj, Omkarnath Thakur, Roshan Ara Begum, Surashri Kesarbai Kerkar

Allauddin Khan was the guru to Ravi Shankar and guys like that so he's like #1 20th figure I think, though recordings I've heard have been excruciatingly lo-fi.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Final Fantasy Baseball posted:

edit - HAI are you reading this

I am, but "summery reggae" is a completely daft thing to ask for, and my first answer would've been Kaya anyway. Try some rocksteady comps, urban legend says it was born because the summer of '67 was so hot that people didn't dance to ska.

Gaza
Jul 16, 2008

HAI posted:

Hindustani classical:

Allauddin Khan, Annapurna Devi, Gangubai Hangal, Bhimsen Joshi, Ustad Bade Ghulam Ali Khan, Ustad Vilayat Khan, Kumar Gandharva, Ali Akbar Khan, Abdul Karim Khan, Abdul Wahid Khan, Faiyaz Khan, Kishori Amonkar, Semmangudi Srinivasa Iyer, Krishnarao Shankar, Lakshmi Shankar, Zia Mohiuddin Dagar, Zia Fariduddin Dagar, Sayeeduddin Dagar, Ustad Amir Khan, Hirabai Barodekar, Pandit Jasraj, Omkarnath Thakur, Roshan Ara Begum, Surashri Kesarbai Kerkar

Allauddin Khan was the guru to Ravi Shankar and guys like that so he's like #1 20th figure I think, though recordings I've heard have been excruciatingly lo-fi.

Holy gently caress thank you so much.

augustaugustaugust
Apr 4, 2009
I'm looking for a new obsession. I need music that gives me a concept or good lyrics to think about while I'm enjoying the music, I like a bent sense of humor, I like it loud, I like texture and odd instrumentality, I like pop music that is pushing beyond the bounds of pop music. The following bands have filled this role for me at one time or another:

-Godspeed You! Black Emperor
-The loving Champs
-Jethro Tull
-Pink Floyd
-Mr. Bungle
-Tom Waits
-The Artists Forever Known as the Justified Ancients of Mu Mu
-The Pogues

Bonus Points if you can find me something specifically to replace the JAMs in my life.

augustaugustaugust fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 5, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

augustaugustaugust
Apr 4, 2009

aliencowboy posted:

Maybe try Boards of Canada?