Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Bob Morales posted:

If it's not going to be freezing where you live, it'll be fine. In the winter I bring my batteries in the house over the winter. Trickle chargers are cheap, from $10-$100 depending on which one you get.

Personally, I'd just change it once.

Yeah, it won't be getting too cold. I'll probably just bring the battery inside.

Change it before or after storage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Christoff posted:

Yeah, it won't be getting too cold. I'll probably just bring the battery inside.

Change it before or after storage?

After.

Moonlitenite
Feb 8, 2007

by Fistgrrl
I was wondering if anyone could help me identify this bike and give me information on it. I'm considering buying it but I can't find out much which bothers me.

Click here for the full 764x573 image.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Moonlitenite posted:

I was wondering if anyone could help me identify this bike and give me information on it. I'm considering buying it but I can't find out much which bothers me

The fact you're asking, means the bike is not for you. I can tell you a lot about the bike, but none of it is useful if you don't know how to work on bikes. You will not get ANY sort of support for it. You'll need to pick up manuals for a different kind of bike, and carefully interpret it so you can determine what is right, and not right for your bike.

How much are they asking for it? Why are they selling it?

Now, I just said DO NOT BUY IT.

The bike is a Chinese piece of crap. It's got a honda clone motor, which is probably the best part of the bike.

Sick_Nukes
Aug 10, 2004
Has anybody tried Keith Code's superbike school? How did you feel about it, do you think it was worth the extra cost over a regular trackday? Anybody try the two day camps? They seem a bit salty seeing as I could almost buy a motorcycle for the price of one.

Moonlitenite
Feb 8, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Nerobro posted:

The fact you're asking, means the bike is not for you. I can tell you a lot about the bike, but none of it is useful if you don't know how to work on bikes. You will not get ANY sort of support for it. You'll need to pick up manuals for a different kind of bike, and carefully interpret it so you can determine what is right, and not right for your bike.

How much are they asking for it? Why are they selling it?

Now, I just said DO NOT BUY IT.

The bike is a Chinese piece of crap. It's got a honda clone motor, which is probably the best part of the bike.

The seller is asking $500 for it. It's a 2004 with around 300 miles for it, and the seller said they never rode it and since he knows I'm interested in motorcycles he'd sell it to me.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.

Shlomo Palestein posted:

I'm not sure why you think it wouldn't work. The tanks on more modern bikes are less round-breadboxy tanks, but a cafe bike is pretty much just a set of clubman bars, cutdown (usually single) seat, rearsets, and sometimes a little round fairing. The two bikes you mention would be perfectly fine for that, they just won't look "period" because they have more modern elements to their styling. If you've got it and you feel like making those changes, there's no real reason not to.

Let me direct you to:

http://www.cb750cafe.com/

Obviously not totally modern, but the same concept applies. There's a guy at a local bar in Long Beach (The V Room if anyone cares) that cafe'd an R6. It's a little modern for me, but hot nonetheless.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Moonlitenite posted:

The seller is asking $500 for it. It's a 2004 with around 300 miles for it, and the seller said they never rode it and since he knows I'm interested in motorcycles he'd sell it to me.

Well, its a Chinese bike. As Nero said, its got a clone of a Honda horizontal single. Probably 110cc or 140. You will get zero parts support for the bike itself. The only thing you will probably be able to easily replace will be the tires and chain. Everything else (and I mean EVERYTHING) is some one-off piece from China made by a company that probably doesnt exist anymore.

Even the Honda clone motor may be tough to find parts for, as the Chinese copies are often not 100% copies of the original.

If you can talk him down to $200, max, and have $200 to blow on a bike that may be dead next week, and are OK with shoddy brakes and such, then by all means buy it.

That bike could go two ways. As I mentioned, it may be dead inside of a week, or it might last for a while. Be prepared to work on it a lot, create cludgy homebrew solutions that arent safe, and generally be frustrated. Also be prepared to straight up throw it away when it finally kicks the bucket, or you're done with it. The resale on Chinese bikes is nonexistent.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Moonlitenite posted:

It's not a safe bet. I know probably a dozen people on this forum that could buy that and do "something" worthwhile with it. But even $500 is to much. New it was $1000.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

OrangeFurious posted:

Let me direct you to:

http://www.cb750cafe.com/

Obviously not totally modern, but the same concept applies. There's a guy at a local bar in Long Beach (The V Room if anyone cares) that cafe'd an R6. It's a little modern for me, but hot nonetheless.

SOHC CB750's can be cafe'd. The bikes that were otherwise referenced were (or at least, I assumed) the 90's and 00's equivalents, which aren't really stylistically supportive of the cafe treatment.

The CB750 is one of the most commonly cafed vintage bikes out there; Carpy's site is fairly well known.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Sick_Nukes posted:

Has anybody tried Keith Code's superbike school? How did you feel about it, do you think it was worth the extra cost over a regular trackday? Anybody try the two day camps? They seem a bit salty seeing as I could almost buy a motorcycle for the price of one.

Where are you located? From everything I've heard, Keith Code does a fantastic job of breaking down the steps to learning to go fast. I could just never justify one of his days as there are a lot of trackday providers out here who offer some amazing schools for 1/10th of the price.

jujube
Dec 11, 2004

*Pain!* *Pain!* *Laughter!*
How do I persuade a friend who's never ridden a moped and is dead set on buying a >2000 600cc sportbike? I'm worried he'll buy one, ride it for a month, crash/drop it, sell it and forget about motorcycles.

I feel guilty for getting him interested in bikes :(

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

jujube posted:

How do I persuade a friend who's never ridden a moped and is dead set on buying a >2000 600cc sportbike? I'm worried he'll buy one, ride it for a month, crash/drop it, sell it and forget about motorcycles.

You can't. Just let him ride.

Taelrin
Jul 17, 2004
At least convince him to get decent accident and regular insurance so when he does break himself he's not totally screwed

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Convince him to get an SV650S?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

blugu64 posted:

Use the unfailing logic of 650 is larger that 600.

Problem solved! :science:

Unfortunantly, there's not much that you can do to convince someone when they're dead set on a 600. Just get them to the MSF and pray.

jujube
Dec 11, 2004

blugu64 posted:

I've given him plenty of pillion rides on my SV but for some reason he wants something else. Something goes VROOM VROOM and looks like a spacerocket.

I wouldn't mind if it was any other person but he just doesn't seem to be interested in bikes except for the VROOM and the looks. Gah, oh well.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

jujube posted:

How do I persuade a friend who's never ridden a moped and is dead set on buying a >2000 600cc sportbike? I'm worried he'll buy one, ride it for a month, crash/drop it

A good friend of mine did the same thing (bought an R6). He died on 3/8/07 in a motorcycle accident.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

jujube posted:

I've given him plenty of pillion rides on my SV but for some reason he wants something else. Something goes VROOM VROOM and looks like a spacerocket.

I wouldn't mind if it was any other person but he just doesn't seem to be interested in bikes except for the VROOM and the looks. Gah, oh well.

A new Ninja 250 goes vroom all of the time and looks just like any other spacerocket (except for the narrower wheels and smaller muffler), get him to take a look

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

jujube posted:

Ninja650r

(the r is how he knows its fast)

jujube
Dec 11, 2004

I might convince him to buy a 400cc, but for some strange reason he's dead set on a GSXR (2001-2004)
There's something about GSXR's that causes temporary (or chronic) retardedness.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

jujube posted:

I've noticed this as well and I'm not alone. There's also something about retardedness that causes GSXRs. It's the ultimate squid bike.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

jujube posted:

I might convince him to buy a 400cc, but for some strange reason he's dead set on a GSXR (2001-2004)

For some reason I find this to be oddly true. The guys in my local shop all seem to think if you ride a GSXR and are under 30 your a guaranteed squid.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Are gel grips worth it? I apparently damaged a nerve while riding, and thus would like something better then the stock grips. I'm looking at Progrips 716. No I wasn't death gripping the bars either.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

jujube posted:

Pray he won't pass his AVB exam?

You can't talk him out of a bike, but you can talk him into good insurance and, if you're lucky, full gear.

Good luck dude. :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

blugu64 posted:

Are gel grips worth it? I apparently damaged a nerve while riding, and thus would like something better then the stock grips. I'm looking at Progrips 716. No I wasn't death gripping the bars either.

Did the vibration damage the nerve or pressure from leaning on your hands?

I vary grips depending on the bike I'm running. SVs get the OEM ones, because they offer good feel and padding. For the g/f's Z1000, I like the grips that are on there, which are bigger honeycomb ones. Foam grips on big singles are nice to insulate every more.

I'd suggest going out and buying a bunch of different types so that you can figure out what fits you and your bike the best. Yeah, you'll end up dumping 50$ or so on grips, but comfort is something that you get everytime you get on the bike.

If the problem is the vibration, and you've got hollow bars, you can fill them with ball bearings, sand, or a bar snake to cut down on vibration.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 6, 2009

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

blugu64 posted:

I personally would be weary of buying gel anything, especially things like grips and bicycle seats. It can cause more damage if the gel's in the wrong place. It's way too subjective since everyone's built differently. Seconding Z3n's ideas.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Christoff posted:

- edit Also - If I change the oil just before I store it do I need to change it again before I ride it? Would it be a bad idea to not change the oil in there now and change it when I get back? It has about 1,000 miles or so on it and the filte.r

People say to change the oil before storage, mostly so you don't forget to do it when you pull it out. You'll likely be raring to get riding again, and might put it off. Stick a big sign on it that says CHANGE THE OIL and you'll be fine.

blugu64 posted:

It'd probably be better to get gloves with padding in the palms.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I've got a brake problem and I'm stumped. When I turn the bars all the way to one side or the other the front brake drags ever so slightly. Its enough to make an awful squealing sound and make the bike hard to move around by hand. At speed on riding the bike, even low speed maneuvers, I don't notice or hear it at all.

I've checked the pads, the fluids, the lines, everything seems fine. Braking power is truly excellent for a 70's bike. Any ideas?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
anyone know if it's possible to weld a crack in an alloy rim? or is that asking for a highside

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

anyone know if it's possible to weld a crack in an alloy rim? or is that asking for a highside

If anything, I would think that you'd be introducing a bit of extra weight off to the side that the crack is on, which would have to be counterbalanced.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

It's possible, not recommended. Tire on a car, not the end of the world if it falls to pieces, but on a bike it's a bit more important.

What sort of crack is it? If you absolutely must repair that rim, I'd take it to a professional who's willing to tell you if it's not repairable, and isn't just looking for more buisness.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is it common for the space between swingarm forks to be slightly wider (about 1/8th to 1/16th) than the fully assembled rear wheel?

Bukanza
Sep 28, 2001
What <= 500cc cruiser would be a comfortable ride for a 6'3" dude buying his first bike? I fear a Rebel and Virago would be too cramped.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Bukanza posted:

What <= 500cc cruiser would be a comfortable ride for a 6'3" dude buying his first bike? I fear a Rebel and Virago would be too cramped.

Why less than 500cc? Unless it's part of a licensing restriction, there's not much reason to limit yourself like that. Cruiser's are not like Supersports where a 600cc engine makes huge power....

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Bukanza posted:

A Vulcan 500 will probably be a too cramped for you, too. I'd look toward a Shadow 650 at least. 650 through 800/900 cc twin cruisers should be okay for a beginner, if only a little heavy.

Bukanza
Sep 28, 2001

`Nemesis posted:

Why less than 500cc?
Basically everything I read online is along the lines of "AHH NOTHING OVER 250CC FOR YOUR FIRST BIKE YOU GUNNA DIE!".

That said, I've passed the MSF course, have my endorsement and have a year and a half experience on a 125cc scooter if that matters.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Bukanza posted:

Basically everything I read online is along the lines of "AHH NOTHING OVER 250CC FOR YOUR FIRST BIKE YOU GUNNA DIE!".

That said, I've passed the MSF course, have my endorsement and have a year and a half experience on a 125cc scooter if that matters.

Don't worry about displacement, worry about power. Displacement is practically meaningless.... what you should be doing is aiming for less than 70hp or there-abouts.

For example, a Vulcan 800 produces like 55hp, which is quite newbie friendly.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Bukanza posted:

I'm 6'2 and took the MSF on a rebel. I ended up sitting on the passenger seat a lot, so yeah, don't do a rebel.

Something like a 600cc or more Shadow would be a good possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Is 17k miles on a sportbike an acceptable amount? The bike has been maintained meticulously and by a good shop. The bike has however been tracked several times.