Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I'm looking for gangsta rap, as violent, graphic, and angry as possible. I've been listening to And then there was X by DMX, and I can't imagine there's anyone better at that than him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

Final Fantasy Baseball posted:

What is your favorite fun or summery-sounding reggae album? I'm looking for that, and if your first thought has to do with Bob Marley or 311 please don't recommend me anything.

I'm not sure if this is right up your alley but recently I've really been enjoying Easy Star's Lonely Hearts Dub Band by Easy Star All-Stars. Pretty self-explanatory, its just the whole of Sgt.Pepper re-done in a really smooth dub reggae style with guest-appearances from a heap of reggae artists. Kinda gimmicky I know, but a really fun and easy listen on the whole

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Kaiser Bill posted:

I'm looking for gangsta rap, as violent, graphic, and angry as possible. I've been listening to And then there was X by DMX, and I can't imagine there's anyone better at that than him.

Geto Boys, Ganksta Nip, Onyx, Dre Dog, Brotha Lynch Hung, Poison Clan, Point Blank... that's assuming you've got the most obvious of obvious classics, NWA and Three 6 Mafia and what have you.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I'm in Austin now and every damned band in the world comes through here during the year. I'm looking for fun, upbeat bands that play with a ton of energy and have an indie rock bent- think Matt and Kim. Thanks so much guys.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

CaptainScraps posted:

I'm in Austin now and every damned band in the world comes through here during the year. I'm looking for fun, upbeat bands that play with a ton of energy and have an indie rock bent- think Matt and Kim. Thanks so much guys.

Okay, usually I would list a lot of indie/pop/garage/rock bands, but since you live in Austin, I'm going to recommend you just go to a show every night of the week. It should be pretty hard to avoid finding the kind of music you're looking for.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

kingcobweb posted:

Okay, usually I would list a lot of indie/pop/garage/rock bands, but since you live in Austin, I'm going to recommend you just go to a show every night of the week. It should be pretty hard to avoid finding the kind of music you're looking for.

God I would if I could, I just can't afford that kind of time.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I like a shitload of different stuff, and I'm always trying to find good music. Just recently I've found some good stuff through iTunes Genius recommendations, and I'm looking to find stuff in a similar vein.

Mainly:
Random Firl by Late of the Pier (but not their other songs). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_PY...player_embedded
Sleepyhead by Passion Pit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bfseWNmlds
Someone Great by LCD Soundsystem http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaYsczkWti0 (although again not really their other stuff)
I guess also The Avalanches are in a slightly similar vein, but not really, though I do like them.

I don't know quite how to classify this sort of stuff exactly, I guess electronic pop but it's not quite as simple as that, as I'm looking for stuff with an interesting and unusual sound.

I'll probably be hitting up this thread with some other requests for other kinds of stuff too. Thanks.

Muffin Loaf
Aug 9, 2006

You muffin to me?
You muffin to ME?

Kaiser Bill posted:

Check out Necro. A lot of his songs are mostly sex-focused (ala the eternal classics "All Hotties Eat the Jizz" and "Piss"), but he has a lot about violence too.

edit: Just to be clear, I think Necro is pretty retarded. But if you're jonesing for raw anger, he's got it.

Owen
Dec 5, 2006

bite the bullet

incoherent posted:

I'm looking for music similar to madlib beat cds (Mind Fusion, etc). I have a lot from stones throw catalog in addition to flying lotus, but is there anyone out there just making sick beats devoid of human voice?

Check out Damu the Fudgemunk.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
I've been really into Black Moth Super Rainbow for a while now, and I was wondering if there's anything else that's pretty similar to them. Mostly looking for something like this:
http://www.last.fm/music/Black+Moth+Super+Rainbow/_/Lake+Feet
Something like really organic electronic with an acoustic touch.
I already have a bunch of Mum, Library Tapes, and Boards of Canada

sea of losers fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 11, 2009

bonnemenagere
Oct 21, 2005

Nos sale a saludar la gente linda..

sixteenstraws posted:

You might like Will Oldham. Try Bonnie "Prince" Billy - I See A Darkness, Bonnie "Prince" Billy - Master & Everyone and Palace Brothers - There Is No One What Will Take Care of You.

Man, thanks so much. I've been hearing of Will Oldham for years now but I never got around to getting any of his stuff. This was exactly what I was looking for.

CaptainScraps posted:

Giving up on your Biodome soundtrack? Heh. Well since I know you IRL I think I can give you some suggestions where as I'm sure for most people your request will be way too broad. If you like Matt and Kim you would probably dig Black Kids, Les Savy Fav, The Organ, Architecture in Helsinki, or Metric Also I think you'd love Ween-Chocolate & Cheese.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

WhatEvil posted:

I like a shitload of different stuff, and I'm always trying to find good music. Just recently I've found some good stuff through iTunes Genius recommendations, and I'm looking to find stuff in a similar vein.

Mainly:
Random Firl by Late of the Pier (but not their other songs). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_PY...player_embedded
Sleepyhead by Passion Pit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bfseWNmlds
Someone Great by LCD Soundsystem http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaYsczkWti0 (although again not really their other stuff)
I guess also The Avalanches are in a slightly similar vein, but not really, though I do like them.

I don't know quite how to classify this sort of stuff exactly, I guess electronic pop but it's not quite as simple as that, as I'm looking for stuff with an interesting and unusual sound.

I'll probably be hitting up this thread with some other requests for other kinds of stuff too. Thanks.

I bet you will like: The Presets, Cut Copy, MGMT, Matt & Kim, Hot Chip, Royksopp, Simian Mobile Disco and !!! This so called 'electro indie' style is extremely popular right now, so listen to college radio or something like KEXP online maybe to hear a good range of it. Also, if you don't have that whole Late of the Pier album, get it, one of my top favorites of 2008.
*edit: wait if you don't like any of lcd soundsystem or late of the pier's other songs then you have weird taste i guess, cause neither of those are particularly standout from the rest of their oeuvre. what exactly is it you like about those songs, because i can't really hear anything in common about them that isn't characteristic of the genre? jw, but check out some of the artists i listed anyway caues you might like some of their songs

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 11, 2009

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Well actually I was basing my dislike of Late of the Pier's other stuff on itunes samples, but after listening on youtube the rest of the album seems pretty good. I do like Hot Chip and MGMT, not so keen on Royksopp since it's all a bit samey. Also not so keen on Simian mobile disco except "The Hustler", since it's all just a bit too synthy and derivative. It's a real turnoff when I can hear a synth sound that's one of the really basic ones from a really popular Roland synth or whatever, it just seems lazy.

I will check out the others you've mentioned though, and probably will by the LotP album, thanks a lot. Also if you have any recommendations for standout tracks particularly, or if anybody else has similar recommendations that'd be great.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
If you like Someone Great but not other LCD Soundsystem songs, maybe what you're looking for is New Order.

Muffin Loaf
Aug 9, 2006

You muffin to me?
You muffin to ME?
A couple of separate taste-expanding questions:

-I keep hearing about Can. Where (ie with which albums or big songs) should I start?

-I really like Echo and the Bunnymen, what are some other must-hear bands with that sound?

-I've been poking around the fringes of metal/hardcore. What are a couple essential albums/artists in the various branches of those genres? Not a whole encyclopedic tour, but just a few central seeds to get me going?

Thanks.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Muffin Loaf posted:

A couple of separate taste-expanding questions:

-I keep hearing about Can. Where (ie with which albums or big songs) should I start?

-I really like Echo and the Bunnymen, what are some other must-hear bands with that sound?

Can: Tago Mago is the most-discussed album, but Ege Bamyasi is the most accessible (and still amazingly good), so I'd start with that. After those two, Future Days, then the rest.

Echo and the Bunnymen are somewhere on the poppier/synthier side of post-punk. I'd check out Josef K, Killing Joke, and although they don't sound much like Echo, The Jesus and Mary Chain just because of the scene from High Fidelity where the guy goes in asking for Echo and the Bunnymen.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Heh, well they had a couple of good songs, but nah, too 80s. If it gives anybody more of an idea one of my favourite acts is the Prodigy, I like interesting beats/breaks a lot.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Regarding LCD Soundsystem, "Someone Great" is the only song I've ever heard by them that I've actually liked - to the point where indeed I've never bothered listening to them much. Can you guys give some specific recommendations for similar sounding stuff?

etard knievel posted:

*edit: wait if you don't like any of lcd soundsystem or late of the pier's other songs then you have weird taste i guess, cause neither of those are particularly standout from the rest of their oeuvre.

See my above post. Someone Great sounds very different, IMO.

Vannaroth
Aug 5, 2005
I'll see you on the darkside of the moon
I'm just recently dabbling in electronic music and would really appreciate any recommendations along the same lines as Groove Armada, The Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, Propellerheads etc. I know next to nothing about electronic music and its subgenres so these groups are really the only reference I can give you guys to score some recommendations :shobon:

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.

Vannaroth posted:

I'm just recently dabbling in electronic music and would really appreciate any recommendations along the same lines as Groove Armada, The Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, Propellerheads etc. I know next to nothing about electronic music and its subgenres so these groups are really the only reference I can give you guys to score some recommendations :shobon:

Along the same lines of those groups: Fatboy Slim, Freestylers, Pendulum, Junkie XL, Moby, The Crystal Method, Primal Scream, and maybe even Daft Punk, Juno Reactor, and Infected Mushroom, among others.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.
I'm looking for jazz; preferably trumpeters, but really anyone who can transport me to a smokey, dimly lit jazz bar, with a piano, a drummer who knows not to dominate the stage, a smooth trumpet and maybe a sexy female vocalist. Something like Thomasz Stanko or Miles Davis. No big band poo poo please!

Muffin Loaf
Aug 9, 2006

You muffin to me?
You muffin to ME?

kingcobweb posted:

Can: Tago Mago is the most-discussed album, but Ege Bamyasi is the most accessible (and still amazingly good), so I'd start with that. After those two, Future Days, then the rest.

Echo and the Bunnymen are somewhere on the poppier/synthier side of post-punk. I'd check out Josef K, Killing Joke, and although they don't sound much like Echo, The Jesus and Mary Chain just because of the scene from High Fidelity where the guy goes in asking for Echo and the Bunnymen.
Thanks for the recommendations, I'm looking into them now. I'll gladly take any suggestions based on High Fidelity, as all too often I find my life mirroring that book/film. As a side note though, there isn't a synth anywhere in Echo and the Bunnymen's catalog, unless you're referring to the drum machine.

Muffin Loaf fucked around with this message at 13:34 on May 12, 2009

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Cyril Sneer posted:

See my above post. Someone Great sounds very different, IMO.

Thanks, I knew I wasn't crazy.

Vannaroth posted:

You've hit upon some of the better ones there. I recommend:
Hot Chip - Good tracks are "Over and over", Ready for the floor, Touch too much and One pure thought to name a few.

The Postal Service, particularly Brand new colony.

Lemon Jelly for some nice relaxing stuff (although not necessarily the slower more ambient electronic music.

Leftfield have some great tracks, with Phat Planet and Storm 3000, two of my favourites.

Faithless have some amazing, classic dance tracks, most notably Insomnia and God is a DJ.

Mint Royale are another good one, you may well have heard their version of Singing in the rain but they have other good songs too, such as I don't care and My heart is beating fast.

If drum and bass is more your thing, you can't get much better than Roni Size. Pretty much anything off the albums Touching down and In the mode

That should keep you going :)

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

I've been listening to the Colour Haze All lately. Who else sounds like them and what other albums by them are worth listening to?

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
Looking for some good instrumental music that isn't too "happy" and conveys a lot of emotion. I really like Philip Glass and NIN's Ghosts, for instance. Post-rock isn't really what I have in mind here. Any suggestions along those lines?

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

Zorodius posted:

Looking for some good instrumental music that isn't too "happy" and conveys a lot of emotion. I really like Philip Glass and NIN's Ghosts, for instance. Post-rock isn't really what I have in mind here. Any suggestions along those lines?

Jazz?

Or perhaps try some 'ambient' music such as Brian Eno.

farmtrill fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 13, 2009

ARE THOSE MY SPERMS
Sep 22, 2008

:f5h::allears::fh:
Loves You
I'm on a huge Beirut/Realpeople kick right now. Anyone got some stuff that's similar???

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

to whoever was talking about lcd soundsystem, you're right and i was wrong, i got that song mixed up with a different one and didnt watch the video haha

IS A CRACKBABY posted:

I'm on a huge Beirut/Realpeople kick right now. Anyone got some stuff that's similar???

havent heard Realpeople but for similar to Beirut try Devotchka, The Decemberists and Yeasayer. Maybe also Rufus Wainwright, Man Man and Gogol Bordello.

vvvv Steve Reich is a lot like Philip Glass only better imo. and if you like ghosts try Brian Eno. but 'emotional instrumental music' is a pretty wide genre. try looking up ambient, space rock, post rock, new age, classical, folk and yes, jazz (what you're thinking of as easy listening is only one tiny fraction of a genre that ranges from dancey to smooth to funky to insanely experimental), and see if any of those specifically are more along the lines of what you're looking for and you might get some better reccomendations

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 08:19 on May 13, 2009

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...

BUY IT.

Xtal posted:

Jazz?

Or perhaps try some 'ambient' music such as Brian Eno.

well, I can see where jazz fits what I said, but it's not really what I had in mind. It seems like jazz tends to sound like "easy listening," with a really warm, accessible, trifling kind of sound. I'm looking for something with more focus to it.

ARE THOSE MY SPERMS
Sep 22, 2008

Loves You

Zorodius posted:

havent heard Realpeople but for similar to Beirut try Devotchka, The Decemberists and Yeasayer. Maybe also Rufus Wainwright, Man Man and Gogol Bordello.

Realpeople is just the Beirut guy's Electronic side project. He just did a double release of Beirut and Realpeople called March of the Zapotec/Holland. March of the Zapotec being a Beirut release and Holland being a Realpeople release.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Doctor Teeth posted:

I've been listening to the Colour Haze All lately. Who else sounds like them and what other albums by them are worth listening to?

You probably be into more guitar heavy krautrock. Definitely get Amon Duul II - Yeti, and Guru Guru - Hinten, and Kanguru.

It's more out there but there's some pretty amazing psych guitar by Manuel Göttsching on Walter Wegmueller - Tarot.

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007

Zorodius posted:

This might actually be a terrible recommendation but have you tried Max Richter?

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

Where should I start with The Residents?

big beefy chedder
Jul 16, 2004
I'm looking for more stuff that is sort of like Zero 7, Sia, Air, Bitter:Sweet, Rogue Traders. Downtempo / trip-hop / fashion pop???? I know it's not all exactly in the same genre but I'm trying to get that general feel.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

KirbySSB posted:

I'm looking for more stuff that is sort of like Zero 7, Sia, Air, Bitter:Sweet, Rogue Traders. Downtempo / trip-hop / fashion pop???? I know it's not all exactly in the same genre but I'm trying to get that general feel.
These recommendations are pretty all over the map, but you might like some of these:

- Thievery Corporation [similar, but frequently has a world music feel]
- Massive Attack [darker]
- Morcheeba [poppier, more of a groove]
- The Postal Service [more vocals, usually a bit faster]
- Ivy [poppier]
- Orbital [weirder, varied]
- Portishead [darker, heavier]
- Frou Frou [dance pop]

Seth Huber
May 19, 2007

MY DAD IS DEAD

KirbySSB posted:

Here are some more recommendations.

Koop
Bonobo
Coldcut

The first two are kind of jazzy and the last one has a more electronic edge.

Edit: Teddybears maybe?

Seth Huber fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 14, 2009

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.

KirbySSB posted:

Thievery Corporation for sure, especially The Mirror Conspiracy

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.

MALCOLM XTREME posted:

This might actually be a terrible recommendation but have you tried Max Richter?

this is pretty cool, thank you

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007

KirbySSB posted:

Some of Cut Chemist's work might be up your alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ARE THOSE MY SPERMS
Sep 22, 2008

Loves You

etard knievel posted:

I'm liking devotchka and Man Man. Not sure I'm a fan of the way Yeasayer's music sounds... like, how the production values are.

Anybody have anything else?