Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

I just got the Animal Collective album Merriweather Post Pavillion, and I loved it. What other Animal Collective albums should I get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Any suggestions on good electro/hip hop like spank rock rock or the cool kids?

Please no ironic white girl MCs though.

The Bacon God
Oct 20, 2007

Himmelschreibende
Herzen

sky-writing hearts

bovis posted:

I just got the Animal Collective album Merriweather Post Pavillion, and I loved it. What other Animal Collective albums should I get?

If you started with MPP, it's best to work backwards from there. Start either with the Water Curses EP or Strawberry Jam, and then go back to their freak folk days.

CinnamonToastFunk
Nov 11, 2008

"He is ill clothed that is bare of funk."
--Pimpjammin Funklin
I'm looking for some upbeat, early jazz like Cab Calloway and Django Reinhardt. Completely different styles, but I want that same kind of bounce that their stuff has. Nothing after 1940, so no cool/smooth sax-and-pad poo poo that you hear at 11 PM on the radio with a deep-voiced DJ, please.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

CinnamonToastFunk posted:

I'm looking for some upbeat, early jazz like Cab Calloway and Django Reinhardt. Completely different styles, but I want that same kind of bounce that their stuff has. Nothing after 1940, so no cool/smooth sax-and-pad poo poo that you hear at 11 PM on the radio with a deep-voiced DJ, please.

well for big names you've got Duke Ellington, Benny Goodman, Gene Krupa, Count Basie, Nat King Cole, Ella Fitzgerald... but honestly i'd suggest tracking down a Swing/Big Band or Jazz Standards multi-cd compilation. the trouble with exploring that period of time through different artists is that there were a lot of different people all collaborating with each other covering a lot of the same old songs, and the regional scenes all had their own interesting flavors and it's easier to absorb as a whole, wide genre than getting albums of hits by one bandleader or singer in particular. Also most artists did a mix of slower, ballady type crooner songs with the real upbeat dancey stuff. Have you seen the Jazz documentary by Ken Burns? He goes into a lot of the notable artists of that era. Also read up on Tin Pan Alley.
PS: writing off all modern jazz just because of the stuff you hear on the radio, is as ignorant and closed minded as those old dudes who say that all rock music post 1978 or whatever sucks, just saying. also the swing era was still going strong into the 40s...

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 17, 2009

CinnamonToastFunk
Nov 11, 2008

--Pimpjammin Funklin

etard knievel posted:

PS: writing off all modern jazz just because of the stuff you hear on the radio, is as ignorant and closed minded as those old dudes who say that all rock music post 1978 or whatever sucks, just saying

Thank you! As for this, I know it's really stupid, but I really haven't liked what I've heard on the radio. What some artists that I can listen to to shed my hatred?

The KoRn Identity
Apr 9, 2009

Have you tried Miles Davis

augustaugustaugust
Apr 4, 2009

no cool/smooth sax-and-pad poo poo that you hear at 11 PM on the radio with a deep-voiced DJ, please.

Depending on where you live you might be able to find stations that play really interesting jazz at 11 p.m. (or earlier for that matter). See if you have college, pirate, or independent radio stations that aren't NPR. I live in CT and we have this station - https://www.wpkn.org - which is entirely DJ'd by crazy locals with amazing record collections.

CinnamonToastFunk
Nov 11, 2008

--Pimpjammin Funklin

Cha Cha Desmond posted:

Have you tried Miles Davis

Dude has a shitton of albums, where's the best place to start?

The KoRn Identity
Apr 9, 2009

I don't know.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CinnamonToastFunk
Nov 11, 2008

--Pimpjammin Funklin
Thanks dude :)

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
I don't do anything more than dabble in jazz, but I can try: Kind of Blue is the record most often cited, but it's a downtempo mood piece. You might try some of the stuff he did with Charlie Parker if bop's gonna be closer to the style you already dig, and Birth of the Cool for something of a transition. Then check out Bitches Brew if you're interested in a more abstract jazz.

But for the period you mentioned, I have some three-disc Duke Ellington comp, the name of which escapes me, that is pretty fantastic.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

How about Kind of Blue, by far the most famous and revered jazz album of all time?

funkcroquet
Nov 29, 2004

Stagger_Lee posted:

But for the period you mentioned, I have some three-disc Duke Ellington comp, the name of which escapes me, that is pretty fantastic.

The one everyone pretty clearly needs is "The Blanton-Webster Band" (or whatever trackwise equivalent you might be able to find) but don't overlook his actual LPs either, especially the 61-67 greats...

CinnamonToastFunk
Nov 11, 2008

--Pimpjammin Funklin

HAI posted:

How about Kind of Blue, by far the most famous and revered jazz album of all time?

Listening to this now, it's pretty loving fantastic. I'm sorry for being an rear end in a top hat about something I knew nothing about.

Darth Brookz
May 20, 2006

Listening to this now, it's pretty loving fantastic. I'm sorry for being an rear end in a top hat about something I knew nothing about.

I personally like "Miles in the Sky" and "Get Up with It". "Sketches of Spain" is loving amazing too. and "Dark Magus".. even though Miles Davis states he hates his performance on it but Mtume is so loving crunk on the drums that I still listen to it a lot. Oh and... . . . "Sorcerer" .. These got me into Miles Davis though I am still more keen on Sun Ra.

Edit: Did not see the not after 1940 statement! oh well. all good recommendations anyway.

But as for a recommendation, I have been listening to a lot from this group called Ducktails. Basically bubbly psychedelic surf guitar, clever use of loops, and swirly drone electronics that faintly resembles what Animal Collective/Ariel Pink have been putting out with clearly a similar range of lo-fi psyche inspirations. The guitar work is probably the stand out of their self titled album which was just released. I think it's their first release out side of cassettes/cd-r ' s but im not sure. Not gold the full way through but overall its a pretty drat great album that makes for great rainy day at the beach music.

Darth Brookz fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 18, 2009

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~
Don't think this warrants a thread and this is the most appropriate place to ask: are there any websites that give an updated list of good club/dance music? Whenever I go to a bar I always hear songs that don't get popular for another few weeks, would like to stay ahead of the curve.

Just seems like every google result is someone on a board requesting songs, and the posts are from months ago etc.

dongsweep fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 18, 2009

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

dongsweep posted:

Don't think this warrants a thread and this is the most appropriate place to ask: are there any websites that give an updated list of good club/dance music? Whenever I go to a bar I always hear songs that don't get popular for another few weeks, would like to stay ahead of the curve.

Just seems like every google result is someone on a board requesting songs, and the posts are from months ago etc.

most djs have a wide range of various specific weekly charts by other djs, blogs, and newssites they read, or keep an eye on the weekly top downloads in their pet genre on Beatport, also getting monthly updates from record labels you like, there's not one particular place you can go for a 'cheat sheet' of all the new music especially just for 'dance music' as a whole and not any one specific style. a good place to start if you like house or techno though is Resident Advisor.

apoptosis
Apr 13, 2003
Drain Bamaged
I really like Lykke Li and Metric...what should I listen to that is like this?

Also, https://www.ilistentoeverything.com has single-handedly rekindled my love of music.

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.

dongsweep posted:

I personally use Beatport.

SynthesizerKaiser
Jan 28, 2009
BOOSTER JUICE

dongsweep posted:

You might want to start listening to Trance Around The World with Above & Beyond, or Marcus Schossow's Tone Diary for house music (Thursday @ 1? PM PST on afterhours.fm). Same goes for the Global DJ Broadcast with Markus Schulz and to a lesser extent Armin's weekly ASOT (though the pure crap to quality ratio is terrible on that program), which are played earlier on Thursday.

Someone recommend some music with a lot of sad or melancholy ambience. This request was inspired by the Gary Jules cover of "Mad World". I want more of that feeling.

SynthesizerKaiser fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 19, 2009

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

apoptosis posted:

Metric

Have you tried Emily Haine's solo work?

I've been listening to a lot of Metric, and listening to bands resembling them, which is electronic/pop rock with a female singer. Birthday Massacre, The Knife, Bat For Lashes

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

To start, try these albums:
Bitches Brew
Nefertiti
Steamin'
On the Corner

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I don't know how old/new this is but this music video is probably the coolest one i've seen in forever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDz51Jup4M0

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

any advice on choral composers or vocal groups that explore atonality and harmonic texture? i guess what I'm imagining in my head is not so much the sort of 'non-singing' / making mouth noises or rhythmic kind of vocal experimentation but real tone based, sort of like that kind of muslim unison prayer chanting or droning like gregorian kind of stuff but with a modernist or atonal approach, like experimenting with the way that slightly off-tune harmonies make that sort of 'bumpy' frequency and stuff.

funkcroquet
Nov 29, 2004

etard knievel posted:

any advice on choral composers or vocal groups that explore atonality and harmonic texture? i guess what I'm imagining in my head is not so much the sort of 'non-singing' / making mouth noises or rhythmic kind of vocal experimentation but real tone based, sort of like that kind of muslim unison prayer chanting or droning like gregorian kind of stuff but with a modernist or atonal approach, like experimenting with the way that slightly off-tune harmonies make that sort of 'bumpy' frequency and stuff.
i gotta say I don't REALLY have a good frame of reference for what you want based on your examples, but what do you think of this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXjilKOyzow

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

funkcroquet posted:

i gotta say I don't REALLY have a good frame of reference for what you want based on your examples, but what do you think of this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXjilKOyzow

yeah this is good especially the first passage up until 2:25 or whatever, ive heard orchestral stuff from messaien, stockhausen & xenakis but somehow i didnt think to look up if they had done choral works, i'll start with them but if you have any cool other recommendations along these lines esp smaller ensemble stuff, or where a good place to research is?

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
I am really into The National, and was wondering what other bands people would recommend? I have heard suggestions of Elbow, so I guess what albums should I start with for them?

sixteenstraws
May 7, 2009

slave to a label but I own my masters

Harry Privates posted:

I am really into The National, and was wondering what other bands people would recommend? I have heard suggestions of Elbow, so I guess what albums should I start with for them?

i guess you're looking for 'dark' indie rock or whatever, so try:

Editors - The Back Room
The Black Heart Procession - 2
Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights
The Red Painting - Your tears Are Warning Signs

Zygar
Aug 6, 2005
I LEIK TRAINZ!!!1
Lately I've been listening to a lot of "electronic" music (by which I mean a catch-all encompassing all kinds of music from whatever Pendulum or Daft Punk is, to psy-trance, etc.)

An uncommon occurrence among some of these artists, but one that I really, really like, is the mixing of classical/acoustic guitar into the song. This is hard to explain but here's an example of the stuff I like:

Infected Mushroom - Becoming Insane – This is the single version, the album version has a lot more of that cool guitar. I really dig the way the singing and guitar gets more intense, finally giving way to the intense beat of the song.

Pendulum - 9000 Miles – Love the way the song blends into the guitar and back out again, starting around 1:40.

Infected Mushroom - Shakawkaw – About 1:40. I love how it jumps from modern electro synths and poo poo to the same melody on an acoustic/classical guitar.

Does anybody have any song and artist recommendations that are similar to the above songs in this respect? I realize it's quite a specific request but I love the mixing of the old and the new. Cheers!

Zygar fucked around with this message at 08:58 on May 21, 2009

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Owen posted:

Check out Damu the Fudgemunk.

appreciated.

funkcroquet
Nov 29, 2004

etard knievel posted:

yeah this is good especially the first passage up until 2:25 or whatever, ive heard orchestral stuff from messaien, stockhausen & xenakis but somehow i didnt think to look up if they had done choral works, i'll start with them but if you have any cool other recommendations along these lines esp smaller ensemble stuff, or where a good place to research is?

OK, other recs:

- Nono was the best vocal writer of that generation; this one is a good starting point, and he had so many vocal pieces that you could just go to allmusic and look up his work index and track down all those pieces, especially the political 60s/70s stuff.
- Maybe Berio's "folk songs" and the sequenza III even though these are solo pieces, and the vocal+tape pieces he and Bruno Maderna did
- Kurtag's choral works
- Those famous Ligeti pieces like Lux aeterna and Aventures/Nouvelle aventures, and the later stuff, the Holderlin fantasies and the Nonsense madrigals
- for the Xenakis the Woods/London Choir set has almost all of his non-solo vocal works
- Going back slightly earlier there's a Luigi Dallapiccola set with the Ensemble InterContemporain set (here)

That's all sort of standard repertoire from the post-wwii modernists... I can't really think of anything from the generation after that I like as much as the above, except maybe Brian Ferneyhough's opera 'Shadowtime' and his choral pieces (here).

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.

Zygar posted:

Lately I've been listening to a lot of "electronic" music (by which I mean a catch-all encompassing all kinds of music from whatever Pendulum or Daft Punk is, to psy-trance, etc.)

An uncommon occurrence among some of these artists, but one that I really, really like, is the mixing of classical/acoustic guitar into the song. This is hard to explain but here's an example of the stuff I like:

Infected Mushroom - Becoming Insane – This is the single version, the album version has a lot more of that cool guitar. I really dig the way the singing and guitar gets more intense, finally giving way to the intense beat of the song.

Pendulum - 9000 Miles – Love the way the song blends into the guitar and back out again, starting around 1:40.

Infected Mushroom - Shakawkaw – About 1:40. I love how it jumps from modern electro synths and poo poo to the same melody on an acoustic/classical guitar.

Does anybody have any song and artist recommendations that are similar to the above songs in this respect? I realize it's quite a specific request but I love the mixing of the old and the new. Cheers!

Juno Reactor - Pistolero comes to mind when you're talking about similar artists to those. As far as other electronic music, try out stuff like Yppah, Tycho, Thievery Corporation, and you might also like newer stuff from Boards of Canada.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

I have a question similar to CinnamonToastFunk. I already know a few of the masters, but I'm looking for more "weird" jazz and don't really know where to start. I've just been listening to a lot of Sun Ra and a lot of the more instrumental Frank Zappa stuff, and not that there's really anyone that sounds like them but any other jazz with some sort of strange edge I'd love to listen to.

EDIT: Also realized I don't know poo poo about jazz fusion outside of Weather Report and Zappa's Hot Rats album, so anything there would be cool too.

Big Coffin Hunter fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 22, 2009

augustaugustaugust
Apr 4, 2009

hellfaucet posted:

great list to work with, even if all these artists are so different from one another. i definitely agree that boards of canada is pretty awful recommendation because of it's minimalism and lack of depth. here are my recommendations, by album:
+ brian eno's rock albums: 'here come the warm jets,' 'another green world,' 'taking tiger mountain by strategy,' 'before and after science.'
+ trans am - 'sex change' and 'liberation'
+ slim cessna's auto club - 'cipher' and their live album 'jesus let me down'
+ woven hand - 'ten stones'
+ matmos - 'the rose has teeth in the mouth of a beast'
+ animal collective - 'feels'
+ kaada - 'MECD'
+ secret chiefs 3 - 'First Grand Constitution and Bylaws' and 'Second Grand Constitution and Bylaws: Hurqalya'
+ tomahawk - 'anonymous'

Also, I didn't include Captain Beefheart in this list, because I figured you HAD to listen to them if you dig Tom Waits, Floyd, and Bungle.... but just on the offchance you seriously live under a rock, please listen to his albums "Safe As Milk" and "Trout Mask Replica.' Also, if you haven't heard Faust - 'Faust IV' get that too, it's better than 'So Far' IMO. And the Can recommendation by a previous poster is spot on, almost any album will do by them, but I'll specifically recommend "Ege Bamyasi," "Tago Mago," and "Future Days."

Also, kudos on JAMM/KLF, I've been rocking "The White Room" a whole bunch lately. MU MU, MU MU, MU MU!

I never properly said thank you to hellfaucet for this.. THANK YOU! Some of this stuff I know, some I don't, and the list is sure to keep me busy for a while. Nice to meet another JAMMS fan. They just never get old to me.

Owen
Dec 5, 2006

bite the bullet

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

I have a question similar to CinnamonToastFunk. I already know a few of the masters, but I'm looking for more "weird" jazz and don't really know where to start. I've just been listening to a lot of Sun Ra and a lot of the more instrumental Frank Zappa stuff, and not that there's really anyone that sounds like them but any other jazz with some sort of strange edge I'd love to listen to.

EDIT: Also realized I don't know poo poo about jazz fusion outside of Weather Report and Zappa's Hot Rats album, so anything there would be cool too.

Rahsaan Roland Kirk (he goes by Roland Kirk in his early days) is my favorite jazz artist and quite the weird one. He played 3 saxes at once, was blind, and wasn't really taken seriously in his time due to his antics. But is music is spectacular. Check out The Inflated Tear and then maybe some of his later work like Natural Black Inventions and Volunteered Slavery.

Zygar
Aug 6, 2005
I LEIK TRAINZ!!!1

insomne posted:

Juno Reactor - Pistolero comes to mind when you're talking about similar artists to those. As far as other electronic music, try out stuff like Yppah, Tycho, Thievery Corporation, and you might also like newer stuff from Boards of Canada.

Awesome stuff. Thanks for this!

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Without Pants posted:

I've been listening to Drillnbasss/breakcore/drumnbass for a few years now, and I'd like to branch out...

I'll have to be pretty vague but here goes--

I've tried a couple of radiohead albums and they didn't do anything for me. I love the abrasive, fast, aggressive aspect of Nine Inch Nails, but I'm not a huge fan of the lyrics (or any lyrics, for that matter).

I guess I'm looking for similar bands that don't go too much into the screaming angry-at-nothing bit. Any ideas?

65daysofstatic can be very breakcore-y in places, for a post rock band

Epileper posted:

I've been really into Black Moth Super Rainbow for a while now, and I was wondering if there's anything else that's pretty similar to them. Mostly looking for something like this:
http://www.last.fm/music/Black+Moth+Super+Rainbow/_/Lake+Feet
Something like really organic electronic with an acoustic touch.
I already have a bunch of Mum, Library Tapes, and Boards of Canada

Have you got Tobacco - "hosed Up Friends"? Very similar to Black Moth..., as it's the solo project of one of the members. It's maybe worth having a listen to Animal Collective and Panda Bear, if you haven't already. And possibly Minotaur Shock

Gulp of Mexico
Jan 31, 2007
A fish, a fish, a fishy, oh?
Can anyone help me find another song similar to this one? I've gone through tags/similar bands but all of the poo poo doesn't sound the same. For example, I look at the different genre's listed for the song, and all of the songs under that genre sound different from this one to me. I'm mainly looking for a similar feel of the song, how it builds up using the different sounds. I like how there are different "layers" of beats. I know nothing about music, so this post sucks.

What I DON'T want is a song that builds up, but is completely boring throughout the first couple minutes. I want a song that builds up to certain peaks, but still remains very rich throughout.

Song is Dynamic Symmetry by BT (only looking for something similar to the first four minutes of the video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uNEQ3nsFbE

Gulp of Mexico fucked around with this message at 08:50 on May 23, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bacon God
Oct 20, 2007

Himmelschreibende
Herzen

sky-writing hearts

Epileper posted:

I've been really into Black Moth Super Rainbow for a while now, and I was wondering if there's anything else that's pretty similar to them. Mostly looking for something like this:
http://www.last.fm/music/Black+Moth+Super+Rainbow/_/Lake+Feet
Something like really organic electronic with an acoustic touch.
I already have a bunch of Mum, Library Tapes, and Boards of Canada

Check out Shogun Kunitoki, from Finland. They sound almost like if BMSR recorded an instrumental post-rock album. Very organic-sound synths, and if I recall correctly, their set-up is all analog. http://www.myspace.com/shogunkunitoki