Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lazerface
May 6, 2003

How do you lot deal with the lack of aligned priests & altars, quite often I'll get an encouraging start but get stymied by not being able to donate at all, having to convert the altar. I've not gotten that far in NetHack yet so I don't know if there are a glut of altars/temples once you get past lvl 16 or something but it's the thing that always seems to trip me up at the moment.

Like at the moment, I have a cursed magic lamp which I want to bless so I can get a wish and lower my AC to get past the big room etc. I've converted an altar but all my subsequent sacrifices don't seem to be impressing my god - "you have a feeling of inadequacy" for the last 10 or so corpses i've offered. So i'm stuck hanging around waiting for my god to chill the gently caress out so i can make some holy water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Lazerface posted:

How do you lot deal with the lack of aligned priests & altars, quite often I'll get an encouraging start but get stymied by not being able to donate at all, having to convert the altar. I've not gotten that far in NetHack yet so I don't know if there are a glut of altars/temples once you get past lvl 16 or something but it's the thing that always seems to trip me up at the moment.

I don't remember the details for what "inadequacy" means when sacrificing, but as far as aligned priests go, there's always one in Minetown, and one in Moloch's temple in the Valley of the Dead. Notably, they DON'T have to actually be of your alignment for you to make donations, and donating to a different alignment won't bother your god in the slightest.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
'A feeling of inadequacy' means you've pissed off your god somehow and you need some good quality sacrifices to molify him. Neutrals and lawfuls can usually get by but chaotics can have a really hard time with that since their god requires stronger sacrifices before they'll calm down.

Lazerface
May 6, 2003

Marvelous! I'm not sure what I did wrong, pretty sure I haven't eaten any pets in a while. Oh well, looks like I am going to have to hang around a bit more and wait for something worthwhile to spawn nearby.

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

Lazerface posted:

Marvelous! I'm not sure what I did wrong, pretty sure I haven't eaten any pets in a while. Oh well, looks like I am going to have to hang around a bit more and wait for something worthwhile to spawn nearby.

See if you can find a bag of tricks or wand of create monster in the mines, because those can get you from pissed-off God to happy, gift-giving God in mere minutes.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Lazerface posted:

This is weird since if your god were angry when you tried to convert the altar, you would have instead converted yourself to the other god (which screws you over, making the game unwinnable). So it must have been after that.

I think maybe sacrificing a coaligned unicorn would piss him off? I don't remember how that works, but I know it's a bad idea.

Having to convert the altar is generally a nonissue; it's a little bit of a hassle but you can always do it eventually. The only time it's dangerous is if there's a priest, since they'll attack you and they can be nasty.

You're guaranteed a coaligned altar with or without a priest in some classes' Quest Levels, if you were interested. You're also guaranteed one with a priest on the Astral Plane, but if you're on that altar you shouldn't be in need of holy water!

Ray Mears Bushcraft posted:

See if you can find a bag of tricks or wand of create monster in the mines, because those can get you from pissed-off God to happy, gift-giving God in mere minutes.
This is good advice, but since you said you're not far in the game I'd like to qualify it by stating the obvious. Those wands can be dangerous. If you're not prepared to deal with four or five rothes, or a swarm of killer bees, exercise extreme caution if you must do this.

McNerd fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 18, 2009

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

..btt posted:

Search for secret doors - they're fairly common in rooms, and "ends" of corridors, and very rarely somewhere along a corridor. Generally levels fill the map, so if there's a big space somewhere, try searching the walls of rooms facing that area. You get a feel for likely locations of secret doors after playing for a while.

Seriously secret doors are the dumbest poo poo in the universe and the #1 factor that takes away fun from the game. I can't tell you how many times I have known almost for sure that there was a secret door on a given wall and had to pace up and down it searching every step for sometimes hundreds of turns before I found it. Beyond that I'm convinced I am missing rooms on like a quarter of the floors I pass and I hate that feeling. The game would be a lot more fun if there were no secret doors or hallways.

This mostly only applies to the early game though. This is one reason why I, in a departure from popular opinion, consider the early game to be one of the least interesting parts of the game).

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 18, 2009

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Ogmius815 posted:

Seriously secret doors are the dumbest poo poo in the universe and the #1 factor that takes away fun from the game.

Yes, secret doors are stupid, a pointless attempt to include every possible D&D rule without regard to fun (though a couple of exceptions, like the vault portals, are okay). But you'd have to make every door in the game secret to make it less fun than Gehennom mazes are.

Darth l33t
Jul 6, 2000

McNerd posted:

This is weird since if your god were angry when you tried to convert the altar, you would have instead converted yourself to the other god (which screws you over, making the game unwinnable). So it must have been after that.
Actually, you only convert yourself if your alignment record is negative. Your alignment record goes down when you behave in a manner not consistent with your alignment, or with certain actions generally frowned upon, such as killing your pet. Your god only gets angry if you specifically offend him or or his religion; the most common way is to pray too soon. As long as your alignment record is positive, you can safely convert altars even if your god is angry.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
edit: n/m, misread

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

So I decided to get back into Nethack today. Got my spoiler lists out, had a priest going pretty nicely, had reached Sokoban...

...and I attacked a floating eye. :(

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Lord Hydronium posted:

So I decided to get back into Nethack today. Got my spoiler lists out, had a priest going pretty nicely, had reached Sokoban...

...and I attacked a floating eye. :(

I tried getting back into it too! I didn't get killed by a floating eye!

I got killed by a Grid Bug.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Ogmius815 posted:

Seriously secret doors are the dumbest poo poo in the universe and the #1 factor that takes away fun from the game. I can't tell you how many times I have known almost for sure that there was a secret door on a given wall and had to pace up and down it searching every step for sometimes hundreds of turns before I found it. Beyond that I'm convinced I am missing rooms on like a quarter of the floors I pass and I hate that feeling. The game would be a lot more fun if there were no secret doors or hallways.

This mostly only applies to the early game though. This is one reason why I, in a departure from popular opinion, consider the early game to be one of the least interesting parts of the game).

Go Neutral, make your first wish Blessed Eyes of the Overworld. Won't show you secret doors, but it's stupidly easy to figure out where they are when you can see the hallway on the other side.

And if the beginning isn't interesting, what is?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

McNerd posted:

Yes, secret doors are stupid, a pointless attempt to include every possible D&D rule without regard to fun (though a couple of exceptions, like the vault portals, are okay). But you'd have to make every door in the game secret to make it less fun than Gehennom mazes are.

Yeah Gehennom sucks. It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't like twenty levels long. Mostly I like the middle and also, for some weird reason, the oft-criticized planes. Also the mines wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the dark levels.

Sargeant Biffalot
Nov 24, 2006
How common are bugs in this game? I ask because last night I saved a game just after picking up a bag of holding in the bottom floor of sokoban and filling it with all my junk. Now I don't see it anywhere when I load the game up, and I'm trying to work out if it's missing somewhere or some sort of glitch has got rid of it.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Sargeant Biffalot posted:

How common are bugs in this game? I ask because last night I saved a game just after picking up a bag of holding in the bottom floor of sokoban and filling it with all my junk. Now I don't see it anywhere when I load the game up, and I'm trying to work out if it's missing somewhere or some sort of glitch has got rid of it.

Hahahahaha.

No that's not a bug. There are certain items that don't mix well with a bag of holding. Putting a wand of cancellation, a bag of tricks or another bag of holding inside it will make the bag explode and its contents disappear. Exploding a bag of holding is one of the great 'oh gently caress' moments in nethack.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Bugs happen, but they're not exactly common. It's far more likely that either...
* You accidentally dropped it / threw it somewhere
* A nymph stole it
* You blew it up by sticking a wand of cancellation, bag of tricks, or another bag of holding into it.

Sargeant Biffalot
Nov 24, 2006
Yeah I've had the old exploding bag a few times now but I don't remember that happening last night and my health is a bit too high for it, similarly I killed all the nymphs running around sokoban and none of them had it. Probably lost it somewhere, still nothing there that I planned on using any time soon, just gonna hope I find another one soon.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Ughh. For some reason I didn't remember I didn't have teleport control and now I have to go kill the wizard without it. I should polypile.

Xazak
May 6, 2008
I have managed to get nethack to dump core and crash, but that was because I was using a binary that had been compiled on a radically different computer. Other than that, it's rock solid.

I've exploded BoHs before and not noticed. I'm not sure if that's worse than noticing it when it happens or not.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
On my first ascension I lost the Bell of Opening. I had dropped it while polypiling and managing a stash, not really knowing the importance of it at the time. I raced around trying to find it and was eventually convinced that I had polymorphed it into something else, until someone watching me told me that was impossible and I searched my stashes.

Yeah I've had the old exploding bag a few times now but I don't remember that happening last night and my health is a bit too high for it, similarly I killed all the nymphs running around sokoban and none of them had it. Probably lost it somewhere, still nothing there that I planned on using any time soon, just gonna hope I find another one soon.

The obvious answer is that a nymph put a wand of cancellation into the bag.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

Ughh. For some reason I didn't remember I didn't have teleport control and now I have to go kill the wizard without it. I should polypile.

This went fine and everyone who INSISTS on level porting down to the bottom and to/from the sanctum is lame.

So that's ascension #2, Knight's are pretty easy huh?

Lobster Maneuver
Jan 4, 2005

All heart and all thumbs

Ogmius815 posted:

This went fine and everyone who INSISTS on level porting down to the bottom and to/from the sanctum is lame.

They're just boring IMO. You'd think they play differently from any other melee class, but riding/jousting requires too much preparation and they don't really have enough power to spam magic missile with the mirror. Seems like 90% of endgame knights are just dual-wielding Excalibur and some other long sword and just beating up enemies.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Ogmius815 posted:

:what: Who does this? It is really not that hard. Also I thought you couldn't levelport with the amulet?

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

stubblyhead posted:

:what: Who does this? It is really not that hard. Also I thought you couldn't levelport with the amulet?

From waking the Wizard I think most people will levelport down the the vibrating square level if they can. Might save having to face the wizard an extra couple of times.

Also, I learnt just now that wielding a mirror does not reflect lightning.

Sigh.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

stubblyhead posted:

If you levelport from the vibrating square level (once you've opened the stairs) to the sanctum level, sometimes you arrive very close to the sanctum. It's convenient.

Then you can get off that level - even with the amulet - with a cursed potion of gain level, which is even more convenient.

Necessary, no. Would I make sure I could do it before I killed Rodney, the next time I get that far? Yeah, because it reduces the number of opportunities I will have to die stupidly.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Ogmius815 posted:

I do it every game because TC is easy to find, cursed scrolls of teleport are plentiful and once I'm in gehennom I don't care about fighting or finding loot. At that stage I'm all about getting out as soon as possible and magic mapping everything and levelporting past crap like the wizard's zoo make that possible.

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I PLAYED BATTLETOADS AND ALL I GOT WAS A RASH IN MY ASS

Ogmius815 posted:

If I can't level port I'll usually dig.
It's much easier to find stairs going up with clairvoyance than it is to find those that go down without it.

Exception: magic mapping. Usually I don't have it, and I'll only have a few scrolls. Which I save those for the floors I expect to find the entrance to Vlad's tower on.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I've found a new nemesis: fountains.

After drinking from a fountain on the very first level, I summoned a water spirit and got some blessed GDSM. Only about a minute later I drank from another fountain and died of poisoning.

Then on the next playthrough, I accidentally summoned two water nymphs who proceeded to rob me of all my stuff. After chasing them around, killing one, and gaining five levels in the process, I got murdered by a goddamn hobbit.

Girl Drink Drunk
Jan 2, 2007

"Well it's really quite simple Russ. You simply take twelve large strawberries chopped, three ounces of dark rum and a..."
This game is fun, I've replaced my Rock Band addiction with this.

I'm working on uploading a series of annotated ranger gameplay videos to Youtube. I've never ascended a ranger before, but it seems like this game is going pretty well (next update will be the castle) and the annotations may be helpful to others.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=1F1FB8E877B6FAB1

bobwhoops
Oct 29, 2007

Lord Hydronium posted:

I've found a new nemesis: fountains.

After drinking from a fountain on the very first level, I summoned a water spirit and got some blessed GDSM. Only about a minute later I drank from another fountain and died of poisoning.

Then on the next playthrough, I accidentally summoned two water nymphs who proceeded to rob me of all my stuff. After chasing them around, killing one, and gaining five levels in the process, I got murdered by a goddamn hobbit.

Lots of people consider quaffing from fountains at a low level a form of start scumming. The chances of you dying are pretty high and the chance of a wish is low. You can play however you want, but if you start relying on getting a wish at the start you won't get good at the game.

Always Shirtless
Oct 14, 2006

by Fistgrrl
why would you drink from more fountains after you already got a wish :psyduck:

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Always Shirtless posted:

why would you drink from more fountains after you already got a wish :psyduck:

No kidding. There are times I'll drink from fountains early on - I don't see it as anything like start-scumming, unless you only do it when your starting inventory isn't "good" enough - but it's still a reckless thing to do, and if it goes well for me I don't want to tempt the game any further!

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Like I said, it's been a while since I played it. I had forgotten that fountains did that, just that quaffing was something to do.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

bobwhoops posted:

Lots of people consider quaffing from fountains at a low level a form of start scumming. The chances of you dying are pretty high and the chance of a wish is low. You can play however you want, but if you start relying on getting a wish at the start you won't get good at the game.

I wouldn't say that it's startscumming, but it is kinda a dumb thing to do.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Contra Duck posted:

I wouldn't say that it's startscumming, but it is kinda a dumb thing to do.

It's dumb if you're good enough to have confidence without a wish: it'll get you killed on Dlvl 2 where good players shouldn't be dying. If I had to give a rule of thumb...If you reach the point where getting to Minetown (maybe even Mine's End) safely doesn't surprise you anymore, you're good enough that the fountain crap is probably holding you back. But it's more a personal call: you decide when you're sick of dying early deaths and it's not worth it.

If you're new to the game, quaffing from fountains, reading random scrolls, drinking random potions, etc. is a way to learn. It'll more likely kill you than help you, yes. But be honest: you're not gonna last long anyway. Dragon scale mail might give you enough of an edge to make the game more fun, and let you see an area or two you otherwise wouldn't; wishing for other good items you wouldn't otherwise find will give you some experience using them, and wishing for artifacts can be fun if you know what you're doing. Certainly I wouldn't call it startscumming, and I also don't think it'll make you worse at the game at this point.

Safer than quaffing is dipping for Excalibur ASAP (experience level 5), if you're lawful and have a (non-katana) longsword. It can still get you killed, but it's a much better gamble and the payoff is still terrific. Just don't get too cocky when you have an artifact weapon: you can kill faster and it's awesome but you can still die just as fast!

With that being said, if you already got a wish from quaffing, for god's sake quit while you're ahead. One wish is the beginning of a good game: don't throw it away with more recklessness.

McNerd fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 20, 2009

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Yes, well, I've figured that out now.

The nymph-hunting was still kind of fun.

Girl Drink Drunk
Jan 2, 2007

"Well it's really quite simple Russ. You simply take twelve large strawberries chopped, three ounces of dark rum and a..."
YAAP

http://alt.org/nethack/userdata/Oblivious/dumplog/1242865149.nh343.txt
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oblivious, lawful female human Knight

---------
|.......|
----- |.......|
@ a...| |..._...|
A---------.@-- |..%....|
|.....g.|aa.-- | |.......| |
A|...aa@.|.a@.--- |. ----.---- .|
|..a@@..%Aaaa.A |......%%.....|
|...aaa.|.a..--- ---....%....---
|.......|...-- -----|-----
---------a.-- -)-- %
A@ @ a.a.| % ---- %%
----- % %
-----% %--
| -- %
--- %%----%-
| [%% $
----------

Oblivious the Knight St:25 Dx:17 Co:16 In:7 Wi:16 Ch:18 Lawful S:768863
Astral Plane $:0 HP:87(87) Pw:101(101) AC:-33 Xp:15/219711 T:17346 Satiated

Your inventory
Amulets
d - an uncursed amulet of life saving named Vlad's Tower (being worn)
Weapons
b - a blessed rustproof +6 katana (wielded in other hand)
i - the rustproof +6 Frost Brand (weapon in hand)
Armor
o - a blessed fireproof +4 pair of speed boots (being worn)
z - a blessed +4 Hawaiian shirt (being worn)
A - an uncursed greased +5 silver dragon scale mail (being worn)
L - an uncursed thoroughly burnt +5 cloak of magic resistance named magic resistance (being worn)
T - a blessed rustproof +5 pair of gauntlets of power (being worn)
U - a blessed fireproof +5 elven leather helm (being worn)
Comestibles
k - an uncursed partly eaten food ration
q - an uncursed lizard corpse
E - 2 uncursed C-rations
F - 3 uncursed K-rations
Scrolls
Z - a cursed scroll of gold detection
Spellbooks
w - the cursed Book of the Dead
Potions
B - 3 potions of holy water
H - an uncursed potion of full healing
Rings
h - a cursed ring of invisibility
v - an uncursed ring of levitation
x - an uncursed ring of free action (on left hand)
S - an uncursed ring of conflict
Wands
a - a wand of teleportation (0:6)
e - a cursed wand of cancellation (0:0)
g - a wand of lightning (0:3)
s - a wand of death (0:0)
y - a wand of death (1:6)
K - a cursed wand of teleportation (0:3)
V - a wand of teleportation (0:5)
W - a cursed wand of death (1:5)
X - a wand of digging (0:2)
Tools
m - a magic marker (0:29)
n - the Bell of Opening named OPENING (0:1)
p - the uncursed Magic Mirror of Merlin
r - a blessed +0 unicorn horn
C - an uncursed lock pick
M - a +0 pick-axe
N - a blessed bag of holding named sokoban
R - the uncursed Candelabrum of Invocation (7 candles attached)
Gems
c - an uncursed ruby
f - an uncursed worthless piece of green glass
j - an uncursed ruby
l - a blessed luckstone named 1
t - an uncursed jet stone
u - a cursed worthless piece of black glass
D - 2 uncursed worthless pieces of violet glass
I - an uncursed garnet stone
J - an uncursed worthless piece of blue glass
O - an uncursed worthless piece of white glass
P - a blessed luckstone named 2

Contents of the bag of holding named sokoban:

Final attributes
You were piously aligned
Your alignment was 96
You were fire resistant
You were cold resistant
You were sleep resistant
You were shock resistant
You were poison resistant
You were magic-protected
You saw invisible
You were telepathic
You were invisible to others
You could jump
You were protected
You were very fast
You had reflection
You had free action
Your life would have been saved
You were wielding two weapons at once
You were very lucky (7)
You had extra luck
Good luck did not time out for you
You survived

Spells known in the end
Name Level Category Fail
a - sleep 1 enchantment 71%

Vanquished creatures
Asmodeus
Baalzebub
Orcus
Juiblex
The Wizard of Yendor (6 times)
Death
Famine (twice)
a high priest
Medusa
Ixoth
Vlad the Impaler
112 killer bees
1226 creatures vanquished.

Genocided or extinct species:
killer bees (extinct)
team h
team L
team ;
18 species genocided.
1 species extinct.

Voluntary challenges
You genocided 18 types of monsters
You polymorphed 94 items
You never changed form
You used 10 wishes

Your skills at the end
Fighting Skills
two weapon combat [Skilled]
riding [Basic]
Weapon Skills
long sword [Expert]
lance [Basic]
Spellcasting Skills
(none)

Latest messages
The giant ant turns to flee!
The invisible priest of Manannan Mac Lir turns to flee!
Unknown command '^J'.
Unknown command '^J'.
The Angel of Manannan Mac Lir zaps you with a magic missile!
The magic missile hits the high priestess of Lugh!
The magic missile whizzes by you!
The invisible priest of Manannan Mac Lir casts a spell!
The invisible priest of Manannan Mac Lir summons insects!
Unknown command '^J'.
Unknown command '^J'.
Unknown command '^J'.
There is an altar to Lugh (lawful) here.
#
What do you want to sacrifice? [qQ or ?*]
You offer the Amulet of Yendor to Lugh...
An invisible choir sings, and you are bathed in radiance...
The voice of Lugh booms out: "Congratulations, mortal!"
"In return for thy service, I grant thee the gift of Immortality!"
You ascend to the status of Demigoddess...

Fare thee well Oblivious the Demigoddess...
You went to your reward with 1690776 points,
and 5997 pieces of gold, after 17346 moves.
Killer: ascended
You were level 15 with a maximum of 87 hit points when you ascended.

No Points Name Hp [max]
1 2147483647 ctaboir-Wiz-Gno-Fem-Neu ascended to demigoddess-hood.
2 2147483647 Zadir-Pri-Hum-Fem-Neu died on the Astral Plane.
Killed by overexertion. 4140 [4140]
3 2147483647 Adeon-Wiz-Gno-Mal-Neu ascended to demigod-hood. 12320 [464076]

1999 4375118 efot-Mon-Hum-Fem-Neu ascended to demigoddess-hood. 292 [300]
2000 4373568 tomp-Val-Dwa-Mal-Law ascended to demigod-hood. 317 [431]
* 1690776 Oblivious-Kni-Hum-Fem-Law ascended to
demigoddess-hood. 87 [87]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wooo, personal best for me based on amount of turns. The next closest ascension that I have is barely below 30000 turns on a valkyrie. I got incredibly lucky with an early coaligned altar for holy water, two good bones files (two cursed magic lamps and a cloak of magic resistance), an early wish from a water demon (I wasn't expecting this at all, was just blanking any potions that I could find for more holy water), and a 0:3 wand of wishing in the castle.

I regretted using the third wish for gauntlets of power after seeing how many beehives were generated. With the amount of royal jelly and giant tins, I probably ended the game with an unmodified 18/** strength.

Neron
Jan 14, 2008

YAFAP!

https://wi.somethingawful.com/4b/4b41e5b71241900076ac205e309cdc72e963908c.png

(sorry for the horribly edited .png, I have no clue how to take a dump file from the windows version of nethack so I just took a bunch of screenshots and edited them together, also I lost the total number of kills, I believe it was around 1500)

I had never before even reached Gehennom, and I've been playing this game on and off for about ten years, so it was really great to finally ascend. I think I got very lucky in this one though. Found a wand of wishing very early on in the game, and in the mines I managed to polymorph my pet cat into a red dragon, which needless to say helped alot. Also managed to find a total of 4 magic lamps throughout the game, which I think was pretty ridiculous.

I got killed once, in the plane of air. Like I said, I had never been this far in the game before, so I completely underestimated the air elementals and got surrounded by a bunch of them, also an archon appeared from somewhere and proceeded to kick my rear end. Got killed once and somehow managed to escape to the portal. I was literally screaming at my monitor at that point, dying there would've really sucked. I think that was the only time I really had any major trouble in the game though.

I finally beat nethack. drat. Feels good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

MysteryVortex posted:

YAFAP!
Congrats! It was the same for me: my first time to Gehennom was my first ascension. The Planes can be scary, but the early game is definitely the hardest part.

A good cheap trick on the Plane of Air when your health gets low is to let yourself be engulfed by something weak like a fog cloud and just chill out. You'll regenerate health faster than you lose it, especially if you have regeneration. The only downside I know of is wasting time if you're low on food: gotta keep a stockpile for Famine.

• Locked thread