Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

So it's only $5.99 until midnight on May 21st where it turns into a pumpkin costs $9.99. I might go ahead and get this then.

But, didn't the first HoMM have an expansion pack? I know the sequels did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Charles Martel posted:

So it's only $5.99 until midnight on May 21st where it turns into a pumpkin costs $9.99. I might go ahead and get this then.

Nope, the first one never had an official expansion pack. Heroes 2 had "The Price of Loyalty", 3 had "The Shadow of Death" and "Armageddon's Blade", and 4 had a couple too. You could also argue that all the standalone chronicles games were heroes 3 expansions too.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Vidmaster posted:

Nope, the first one never had an official expansion pack. Heroes 2 had "The Price of Loyalty", 3 had "The Shadow of Death" and "Armageddon's Blade", and 4 had a couple too. You could also argue that all the standalone chronicles games were heroes 3 expansions too.

Not to mention there really was a point in time when we didn't have expansion mania. Mostly they would revamp the game and call it a sequel (see Doom I v Doom II, Ultima 7 v Ultima 8). I'm really not sure which I prefer, adding a fluffy character to the game and calling it an expansion, or reskinning the protagonist and calling it a sequel.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Overwined posted:

Not to mention there really was a point in time when we didn't have expansion mania. Mostly they would revamp the game and call it a sequel (see Doom I v Doom II, Ultima 7 v Ultima 8). I'm really not sure which I prefer, adding a fluffy character to the game and calling it an expansion, or reskinning the protagonist and calling it a sequel.

At least the heroes sequels have always been significantly different, while the expansions have just added new campaigns and monsters and stuff while keeping the same engine. Doom 1 vs. Doom 2 is kind of like that, since doom 2 used the same engine and just had more monsters and levels, while ultima 8 was a totally different engine and world from ultima 7.

Still, it was pretty nice having full sequels instead of 6 different expansions.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

edit: nevermind

Bleusilences fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 14, 2009

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Bleusilences posted:

Doom 2 is not the same engine then doom 1, they had to rebuild it from strach because doom 2 was way too big.

[citation needed]

Sporadic posted:

Postal 2 Complete is up for $9.99

Just a warning: I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, but if you find the secret area Tora Bora, DON'T loving go back in after you've completed it. I did and there seems to be no way back out. I'm considering just restarting the game on easy difficulty and going berserk, which is half the fun and probably much funnier when I don't have to worry about my health all the time.

As the week progresses, will previously open areas close down?

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

ymgve posted:

[citation needed]

I most either mix something up or maybe they just changed the way they compiled the texture. Because for what I heard years ago is that doom2 had a problem, it was way too big, so they did something to make it smaller but maybe it`s my memory who is a bit fuzzy.

edit: I just did a quick search on the internet and they are the same engine.

Bleusilences fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 14, 2009

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Vidmaster posted:

Cool! Buying this when I get back from running a few errands then. :) I just don't want to miss out on any expansions when I start to play something. I like all the ducks in a row.

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

Just a heads up for anyone in the UK who wants HOMM, I have seen PC World selling a box set with all 5 games and expansions and some random bonus crap for around £20-£30.

That said, I am tempted to get the GoG version too, just because I like them- I can play Cannon Fodder in Windows 7 for chrissakes!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Overwined posted:

You probably meant Ultima 7, parts 1 & 2. Actually each part had their own expansions too that integrated into the original games adding a major story-heavy quest with the ability to turn the Avatar into a superhero.

I didn't feel cheated by the Ultimas and Doom 1 vs. 2s since there was so much content and fun to be had. I would have been irritated if they kept doing it for years though.

Ultima 6 also had two same-engine, but non-canon, follow-ups which were pretty awesome. They were esoteric, set in Lost World (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle) and Martian Chronicles-like universes. The Savage Empire & Martian Dreams.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

teethgrinder posted:

I didn't feel cheated by the Ultimas and Doom 1 vs. 2s since there was so much content and fun to be had. I would have been irritated if they kept doing it for years though.

Rethink this statement. Would you really have been irritated if you got another Doom 2 instead of Doom 3? :v:

Of course, in my opinion Painkiller is the REAL Doom 3, so...

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
So I reinstalled Postal 2 earlier, and I forgot how much fun it is to just run around and wreck havoc in that game. The only issue I had is that it only goes up to 1280x1024...or so it seems.

If you're like me and have a 1680x1050 monitor, you can set it at that res, but only by accessing the console with the ~ (tilde) key and typing in:

setres 1680x1050x32

*ziiiip* "Now the flowers will grow..."

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Charles Martel posted:

Ugh, even at $6 it's still kind of a ripoff. The classic series is 4 games and several expansions big, do they honestly expect us to pay $10 for every single one? That's ridiculous. I'd pay $10-15 for all 4, no more.

The_Censorship_Nazi
Jan 1, 2008
Banned in over 52 nations since 1946!

Charles Martel posted:

So I reinstalled Postal 2 earlier, and I forgot how much fun it is to just run around and wreck havoc in that game. The only issue I had is that it only goes up to 1280x1024...or so it seems.

If you're like me and have a 1680x1050 monitor, you can set it at that res, but only by accessing the console with the ~ (tilde) key and typing in:

setres 1680x1050x32

*ziiiip* "Now the flowers will grow..."

Now THAT is useful to know, very useful to know...

Though truth be told I've mostly played the game in a windowed mode. Just in case...

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
With all the stuff about the games being made XP compatible and so on, does that mean they fixed fallout 1 and 2 so that when you use the world map you don't walk at about eight hundred miles per second?

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Ugh, even at $6 it's still kind of a ripoff. The classic series is 4 games and several expansions big, do they honestly expect us to pay $10 for every single one? That's ridiculous. I'd pay $10-15 for all 4, no more.

The only one you need to pay any money for is Heroes 3, as it's the best in the series by far. II is pretty good too, but it's ultimately skippable, especially if you can get III. V is good too, but that's not coming to GoG anytime soon since it's still pretty new.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

King Doom posted:

With all the stuff about the games being made XP compatible and so on, does that mean they fixed fallout 1 and 2 so that when you use the world map you don't walk at about eight hundred miles per second?

No, the problem is still there, but, the GOG forums have a pretty extensive list of patches and mods for the games, and they do a good job of providing support if there's problems with the games.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Recession be damned, if they had some Bullfrog games I wouldn't be able to stop myself. For a few weeks now I've been itching to play Synditate again, Dungeon Keeper'd be great too.
Talking about Startopia, if I recall properly it was developed by Mucky Foot, which had some ex-Bullfrog dudes in it, great game which I sunk manys a teenaged night into, it had terraforming and space drugs!

Also, loving Sacrifice! One of the best underrated games ever, back when it came out I only had a dial up so I wasn't able to play multiplayer but I would give my right nut for a game of it now, this week by James I will have it, who is with me!??

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
^^^ Yet another EA acquisition with all the intellectual properties swallowed whole for the sole purpose of preventing anyone else from ever enjoying the games again.

In regards to Heroes of Might and Magic...

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

While I appreciate your campaign in favor of the often oppressed PC gamer, I'm going to have to disagree on this one. I agree, $10 is a bit much, but being that it has an introductory sale, and the price is likely to go down once Heroes II comes out (I'm hoping), I'm willing to accept this price. Then again, I've been wanting to play this game ever since I tried the demo in 1997. So I guess I'm more willing to put out for this than most people.

I know Heroes II and III are better in every way (got them later), but I actually appreciate the ability to go through the different games and see the progression of innovations. That's something that's especially visible with the 'Heroes' series.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Drox posted:

Rethink this statement. Would you really have been irritated if you got another Doom 2 instead of Doom 3? :v:

Of course, in my opinion Painkiller is the REAL Doom 3, so...
Painkiller is great, but Doom 64 was the REAL Doom 3! I was so surprised it wasn't another rehash. It was basically the exact same old gameplay, but with new levels and higher resolutions.

There's a PC version of it and lots more information here: http://www.doom2.net/~doomdepot/abs-about.html

Although reading that, I now kind of want to check out the PSX version which I was completely unaware of.

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

teethgrinder posted:

Painkiller is great, but Doom 64 was the REAL Doom 3! I was so surprised it wasn't another rehash. It was basically the exact same old gameplay, but with new levels and higher resolutions.

There's a PC version of it and lots more information here: http://www.doom2.net/~doomdepot/abs-about.html

Although reading that, I now kind of want to check out the PSX version which I was completely unaware of.
There's actually a more faithful PC fan-port of Doom 64. Of course, it requires you to have a ROM of the N64 version to generate the IWAD...

There's also a GZDoom port of PSX Doom.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

teethgrinder posted:

I never played Doom 64 and just assumed it was a lovely console port, so I'll have to try this out. Thanks for the link!

As far as GOG news: Enemy Engaged: Comanche vs. Hokum has been released for $5.99, and...some game called Original War has "returned" to GOG? I don't recall it being there in the first place and leaving, but that's cool I guess. It's $5.99 also.

OPs all updated, as usual. :)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

RiffRaff1138: Thanks for the links!

Charles Martel posted:

I never played Doom 64 and just assumed it was a lovely console port, so I'll have to try this out.
Yeah, I think they kind of shot themselves in the foot with the naming scheme since Doom was already being ported to everything and anything in its older incarnations.

Sounds like the PSX version isn't different enough to bother with, but the music in it is apparently fantastic.

edit: Doom 64 EX is nice just because it's "simpler" and easier to get started. Absolution doesn't seem that much different overall (and therefore presumably not THAT much less 'authentic'), but the engine is infinitely more configurable.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 19, 2009

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Charles Martel posted:

As far as GOG news: Enemy Engaged: Comanche vs. Hokum has been released for $5.99,

Oh boy, that game was awesome. Pretty realistic and very challenging. Takes a long, long time to get anywhere in it due to the whole "persistent campaign" thing they've got going on, but it's rewarding if you like playing flight sims for hours. I think I still have the disc, but I'll probably re-buy it if I can find my old joystick. Flight sim goons take note.

Frustrating at times, although very realistic. After liberating a quarter of Taiwan from the Chinese invaders with no losses on my own missions, I got a transfer mission to fly one of our few remaining Comanches from a rear base up to the front lines. It was through the radar coverage of enemy SAMs, but I was excellent at flying low and fast. Flying in a real downpour of a thunderstorm, I didn't see the power lines until about two seconds before impact :science:

I hope they release Apache vs. Havok so that we can fly those birds in the same game. It's nice having more options, since there's so much more going on than just your flights. Watching a flight of A-10s flying straight into the enemy air defense network and unleashing their fury is as glorious as you might imagine.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nibbles the Shark posted:

I hope they release Apache vs. Havok

Actually that one's already available.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

RiffRaff1138 posted:

There's actually a more faithful PC fan-port of Doom 64. Of course, it requires you to have a ROM of the N64 version to generate the IWAD...

There's also a GZDoom port of PSX Doom.

Wow, thank you for this! I remember turning the lights out, playing this game on my electronics-store-employee purchased sound system, and playing until 2 in the morning. Never finished it, now's my chance! Doom64 really was the rightful heir of the sprite-based Doom series.

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

:jiggled:Top Class:jiggled:

royallthefourth posted:

Actually that one's already available.

Just about to say that.

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/apache_vs_havoc

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Rainbow Six is out, $10: http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/tom_clancys_rainbow_six

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
Yeah, I really wanted to play this back when I was in the 8th grade (3 years out of college now). I think it's probably a bit dated for me.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
Racing games on sale this weekend: http://www.gog.com/en/page/racing_weekend/ Including the last chance to buy TOCA Race Driver 3, as it's apparently getting removed from their catalog.

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man

thedaian posted:

Racing games on sale this weekend: http://www.gog.com/en/page/racing_weekend/ Including the last chance to buy TOCA Race Driver 3, as it's apparently getting removed from their catalog.

How is that game? I enjoyed a TOCA game on PS1 or PS2 once as a demo, but never went any further. Also, Racing Games on PC? Does that even work? :/

Weedle
May 31, 2006

deltawing posted:

How is that game? I enjoyed a TOCA game on PS1 or PS2 once as a demo, but never went any further. Also, Racing Games on PC? Does that even work? :/

It does if you use a gamepad or wheel.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

QUALITY SEIZURE-INDUCED GLITCH-HOP FUN!

thedaian posted:

Wait, so they remove things from the catalog?? How does that work? Does it stay on your shelf and is still redownloadable or do you pretty much have to download it before it's gone and keep a hold of that installer?

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
They'll let you download it whenever you want but only if you bought it. I have no idea what kind of lisencing deal would require them to remove it, though.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

quakster posted:

They'll let you download it whenever you want but only if you bought it. I have no idea what kind of lisencing deal would require them to remove it, though.
Probably one that's expiring.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
I know they had Operation Flashpoint on there a while back, but it was removed and hasn't come back yet. From what I heard, Bohemia was getting pissed at Codemasters for not giving them their share of the profits from the GOG sales. So it does happen due to licensing issues.

Lamacq
Jun 15, 2001

Breezeblock RIP
Anybody know if any of those racing games are any good? I don't have a racing game on my PC (hell the only racing game I have is Mario Kart DS) and that FlatOut game looks kind of tempting for $3. I'm guessing I probably wouldn't have the patience for a more realistic racer like the Toca one and the 1nsane one looks a little weak.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Lamacq posted:

Anybody know if any of those racing games are any good? I don't have a racing game on my PC (hell the only racing game I have is Mario Kart DS) and that FlatOut game looks kind of tempting for $3. I'm guessing I probably wouldn't have the patience for a more realistic racer like the Toca one and the 1nsane one looks a little weak.

Flatout is decent, but the sequels are much better. I recall playing 1nsane a long time ago and enjoying it, but I haven't played it in years, so YMMV.

On that note, I bought Toca 3. Damned weak willpower!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
^^ FlatOut 2 blows. "hey let's get rid of vehicle damage and make it super hard and also gently caress up the physics so hitting a discarded bumper will send you shooting twenty feet into the air costing you the race!" :waycool:

Lamacq posted:

They're all loving fantastic actually. 1nsane is a great little checkpoint racer that actually has a lot of user mods and content out for it. It's sort of like an early version of Smuggler's Run style gameplay.

FlatOut is better than it's sequel and is basically a Destruction Derby style game focusing on destruction. Almost everything in the environment can be driven through and unlike FlatOut 2 your car is actually affected by damage so once you blow your shocks out your car bounces all over the place hilariously. It's a drat fun game.

TOCA 3 is what GRiD should have been. It's a really solid, fun TOCA style game with good vehicle handling, nice damage, and a ton of difference race types and car classes including big rigs!

I've already bought 1nsane and I'd get FlatOut if I hadn't beaten it into the ground. I'm definitely getting TOCA 3 since I've been hemming and hawing about it for a while. Probably the best thing to play with on the PC is a simple wired 360 controller.

e: the one problem with the FlatOut games is that they're shallow as hell. what vehicle you pick barely matters and the upgrades are linear to a fault. they also don't have locational damage like a proper derby racer should so the actual demolition derby modes are worthless

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 21, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
SO I'm torn between 1nsane and Flatout. I really want a fun little racing game. My question is, which one works best without a joystick or anything? I really don't want to invest in some kind of controller for one fun little game.