Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

QUALITY SEIZURE-INDUCED GLITCH-HOP FUN!

Yodzilla posted:

^^ FlatOut 2 blows. "hey let's get rid of vehicle damage and make it super hard and also gently caress up the physics so hitting a discarded bumper will send you shooting twenty feet into the air costing you the race!" :waycool:

Actually you're only showing one side of the argument on why people are split between 1 and 2. The first one was must more of a simulation racer and the second one is very arcade-style driving and physics. So it really depends which side of the spectrum you're more into on which you'll like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Overwined posted:

SO I'm torn between 1nsane and Flatout. I really want a fun little racing game. My question is, which one works best without a joystick or anything? I really don't want to invest in some kind of controller for one fun little game.

They're both really fun but FlatOut is a bit newer and you'll probably get more mileage out of it.

SixOhSix posted:

Actually you're only showing one side of the argument on why people are split between 1 and 2. The first one was must more of a simulation racer and the second one is very arcade-style driving and physics. So it really depends which side of the spectrum you're more into on which you'll like.

I wouldn't call the first game a sim as it still had very arcadey physics. It was definitely more grounded which to me made it a hell of a lot easier to control. The second game threw poo poo all over the track and hitting a pile of rubble was a complete crapshoot as to whether or not it would completely end your race. And wasn't the third game basically a remake of 2?

Either way Destruction Derby 2 is still the king of the genre because it's still the only derby game that's gotten vehicle damage right.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

QUALITY SEIZURE-INDUCED GLITCH-HOP FUN!

Yodzilla posted:

And wasn't the third game basically a remake of 2?

It was 2, just with shinier graphics and Live support. There was hardly anything extra to it to even constitute remake.

Lamacq
Jun 15, 2001

Breezeblock RIP

Yodzilla posted:

They're all loving fantastic actually. 1nsane is a great little checkpoint racer that actually has a lot of user mods and content out for it. It's sort of like an early version of Smuggler's Run style gameplay.

FlatOut is better than it's sequel and is basically a Destruction Derby style game focusing on destruction. Almost everything in the environment can be driven through and unlike FlatOut 2 your car is actually affected by damage so once you blow your shocks out your car bounces all over the place hilariously. It's a drat fun game.

Thanks for the info, I'll pick up FlatOut. Shallow is fine by me, I barely have any time to game these days so a pick up and play, fun arcadey racer is a no brainer for me because I would never be able to make my way through a more involved game. And I already have a decent gamepad.

e: bought. Just like Defense Grid for $5 on steam, I figured it was dumb not to buy this game.

Lamacq fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 21, 2009

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

guppy posted:

Rainbow Six is out, $10: http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/tom_clancys_rainbow_six

This about 75% of the reason I signed up for GOG. I lost my disk years ago and just remember this game being one of my favorites. I got the Ghost Recon package from steam a few months ago and was playing the first one. Tactical shooters were the bee's knees for me in high school.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Yodzilla posted:

They're both really fun but FlatOut is a bit newer and you'll probably get more mileage out of it.

Depends. I own both and while Insane is quite old, its multiplayer is still top of the line! You have really cool modes (Capture the Flag, King of the Hill, Race, Tag, etv.) and it often gets really insane with all the different vehicles and terrains. There is even a plane you can download and fly around with.

Singleplayer-wise though, I'd choose FlatOut, but if you have a couple of buddies who'd be into this as well, definitely go with Insane.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

FLX posted:

Singleplayer-wise though, I'd choose FlatOut, but if you have a couple of buddies who'd be into this as well, definitely go with Insane.

Actually yeah I wasn't even thinking multi. Man it's been years since I played 1nsane online.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Is Rainbow Six multiplayer thing sill going strong? That's the main reason to get it, right?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Yodzilla posted:

TOCA 3 is what GRiD should have been. It's a really solid, fun TOCA style game with good vehicle handling, nice damage, and a ton of difference race types and car classes including big rigs!

Interesting. Gonna go ahead and buy it for $5 since I've heard good things about it and it's going to be stripped away from the catalogue. :(

And anyone who doesn't get FlatOut for $2.99 is crazy.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Charles Martel posted:

Interesting. Gonna go ahead and buy it for $5 since I've heard good things about it and it's going to be stripped away from the catalogue. :(

And anyone who doesn't get FlatOut for $2.99 is crazy.

I was seriously on the fence about it, but I probably have $15 in change rolling around in my car. $3 is definitely a "don't think twice" kind of price. In other news I'm about to buy a Diablo II LoD key for about the same price. $6 is definitely more than a weekend's worth of gaming.

sandmaniac
Sep 15, 2005

by mons al-madeen

Overwined posted:

In other news I'm about to buy a Diablo II LoD key for about the same price. $6 is definitely more than a weekend's worth of gaming.

i was just wondering about that poo poo, where do you get the key & after that, where do you dl the game and such?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

sandmaniac posted:

i was just wondering about that poo poo, where do you get the key & after that, where do you dl the game and such?

I don't have the URL handy but there is a site that comes highly goon recommended that sells just legit D2 and D2 LoD keys for like $3. You can then go to the Blizzard store, punch in your key and download the game. I haven't tried it yet but I hear it's pretty effortless.

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

Overwined posted:

I don't have the URL handy but there is a site that comes highly goon recommended that sells just legit D2 and D2 LoD keys for like $3. You can then go to the Blizzard store, punch in your key and download the game. I haven't tried it yet but I hear it's pretty effortless.
Your previous post reminded me that Blizzard had this, and I just a few minutes ago registered a new Battle.net account, and added the keys from my old physical copies of Diablo II, LoD, and Starcraft Anthology. It was simple as hell.

This key-seller is news to me, though.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
^^ Haha, awesome.

Overwined posted:

Holy poo poo. I was just about to ask you what the site was until I remembered I took a small inventory of my CD Keys in a .doc file years and years ago since I was sick and tired of always trying to hunt down my case/discs. I just added my Blizzard games to my Battle.net account. I never knew all you needed was your key.

Thank you for the heads-up!

I even still have my Warcraft II BNE key, but they don't have it on there. Or the first Diablo. Oh well, maybe in the future, eh?

Ninja Edit: Downloading Diablo II now. This is sweet.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Charles Martel posted:

Holy poo poo. I was just about to ask you what the site was until...

In case anyone else is wondering the site is G2Buy.com. They also sell cheap starcraft/brood war and WC3 keys (no frozen throne though :().

roushimsx
Dec 1, 2002
Sweet, I'm grabbing all three of these. I was hoping to see Scorcher in the deal so that I could recommend it, but it's hard to recommend over the discounted games considering the prices.

I mean, god drat, Flatout for $3? Hell yes.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Horn posted:

In case anyone else is wondering the site is G2Buy.com. They also sell cheap starcraft/brood war and WC3 keys (no frozen throne though :().

If you register plain Starcraft at the Blizzard store, you get Brood War for free as it didn't come with a separate CD key.

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man

Horn posted:

Thanks for reminding me about this! I just bought Warcraft III for the hell of it cuz 5 bucks, why the gently caress not?

Wish I would've known about this before I bought Starcraft from Blizzard's site, oh well, they deserve the money anyways.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Horn posted:

How legal is this?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

BOOM! DOCTA WATSON posted:

How legal is this?

I asked in the D2 thread and they all seemed to think it was totally legit. Apparently (from that site, anyway) they are all legit, unused CD-keys. I am sort of curious how they do it myself. I have been looking at that site for a few weeks and still haven't bought. I sort of want to be assured that if I put this key in my battle.net account that it won't get yanked out from under me at some later date.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Overwined posted:

I sort of want to be assured that if I put this key in my battle.net account that it won't get yanked out from under me at some later date.

That would be my only concern, where they blacklist the key and deactivate the game.

Worst comes to worst you can download the files and toss 'em on a DVDR.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Overwined posted:

I asked in the D2 thread and they all seemed to think it was totally legit. Apparently (from that site, anyway) they are all legit, unused CD-keys. I am sort of curious how they do it myself. I have been looking at that site for a few weeks and still haven't bought. I sort of want to be assured that if I put this key in my battle.net account that it won't get yanked out from under me at some later date.

I believe arstechnica looked into this and G2Buy claimed they got the keys from discarded boxed copies of the games.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Horn posted:

I decided to try it out and bought the D2+LOD CD-Keys. How long does it take usually for those to be sent to you?

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I ain't his friend! If you were to ask me if I was his friend, I would say "NO" to you!

FLX posted:

I decided to try it out and bought the D2+LOD CD-Keys. How long does it take usually for those to be sent to you?
Mine were sent within the hour.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Imagine, if you will, how awesome it would be to see Warcraft: Orcs and Humans, Warcraft II, Diablo, Rock 'n Roll Racing, Blackthorne, and The Lost Vikings on GOG.

They pass all of the criteria after all: They're good, they're old (Diablo is the most recent in that group, yet it's just about 12 years old now, wow), and they're games.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Well, not everything on GOG is good (Redneck Rampage) or old (Toca Race Driver 3).

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

royallthefourth posted:

Well, not everything on GOG is good (Redneck Rampage) or old (Toca Race Driver 3).

Redneck rampage was good back then but now it's kinda lacking. Confusing level design with a lot of enemies is not acceptable anymore.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

royallthefourth posted:

Maybe they should change to GAOOG (Good and/or Old Games).

Lamacq
Jun 15, 2001

Breezeblock RIP
Stayed up way past my bedtime playing FlatOut last night. That game is waaaay too much fun for $3. I could do without the soundtrack though.

So the games I'm currently playing are Defense Grid (bought for $5 on Steam), S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl ($5 on Steam), and FlatOut ($3 on GOG). That is just insane value. Oh not to mention I'd never played Doom II so I picked that up for 99 cents during the Steam holiday sale and am enjoying that too, although I haven't touched it since I got stuck on one of the city levels a few weeks ago.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

royallthefourth posted:

Well, not everything on GOG is good (Redneck Rampage)

Quiet, you. That's the first game I bought on here since I have fond memories of it and it has a unique charm even though it didn't do anything groundbreaking.

Now Kingpin on the other hand...blech.

Different strokes etc. etc.

Amphetama
Aug 16, 2008

Third Eye Vision
What the hell happened to Operation Flashpoint? I went to buy it today but I couldn't find it anywhere on the site. I could have SWORN that I saw it on there a few months ago...

Zagrod
Jun 26, 2005

fiyah fiyah fiyah
Clapping Larry

Amphetama posted:

What the hell happened to Operation Flashpoint? I went to buy it today but I couldn't find it anywhere on the site. I could have SWORN that I saw it on there a few months ago...

Bovineicide posted:

I know they had Operation Flashpoint on there a while back, but it was removed and hasn't come back yet. From what I heard, Bohemia was getting pissed at Codemasters for not giving them their share of the profits from the GOG sales. So it does happen due to licensing issues.

Amphetama
Aug 16, 2008

Third Eye Vision

Zagrod posted:

Stuff.

Ohhh no poo poo. Thanks dude.

That's a bummer, although apparently Amazon still has it in stock.

roushimsx
Dec 1, 2002

royallthefourth posted:

Redneck Rampage really isn't that bad. I was pretty surprised by how well it'd held up when I played through it last year. The first level or so is a bit awkward and there's one or two missions in there that are more confusing than they ought to be, but for the most part it was a decently enjoyable Build engine game. Certainly better than Shadow Warrior at the very least.

The real draw to the package though is the Suckin' Grits on Route 66 expansion pack from Sunstorm Interactive. Same team that did Wanton Destruction for Shadow Warrior, Duke it Out in DC and Duke Caribbean for Duke Nukem 3D and Cryptic Passages for Blood. Needless to say, their expansion to Redneck Rampage is excellent.

I still haven't gotten around to playing Redneck Rampage Rides Again: Arkansas. One of these days, I guess.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Went ahead and grabbed 1nsane also since the weekend deal on Steam is pretty weak. I definitely remember having $5 worth of fun with 1nsane in the past.

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

roushimsx posted:

I still haven't gotten around to playing Redneck Rampage Rides Again: Arkansas. One of these days, I guess.
The "Arkansas" isn't part of the title, it's just the state name on the license plate that the "Rides Again" part of the title art appears on.

And Rides Again is pretty great. It adds a few new enemies, at least one new weapon, and drivable motorbikes and airboats. The levels with motorcycles tend to also include some wicked jumps that you are required to take them off of.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Has anyone tried Original War? I was surprised when I saw how good the fan reviews were. The review on Gamespot was awful, but I'm getting the sense that the reviewer must have been very lazy and did not get a chance to play the game past the tutorial. The RTS/RPG element seems pretty cool, almost like C&C meets Fire Emblem.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
Just chiming in to say TOCA 3 is really great. I'm not really into racing games, but I'm really getting into this one. The graphics still hold up reasonably well, and there's huge variety to the race and vehicle types available. Glad I went and picked it up.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

r1ngwthszzors posted:

Has anyone tried Original War? I was surprised when I saw how good the fan reviews were. The review on Gamespot was awful, but I'm getting the sense that the reviewer must have been very lazy and did not get a chance to play the game past the tutorial. The RTS/RPG element seems pretty cool, almost like C&C meets Fire Emblem.

I played it and really enjoyed it. I bought on GoG during the Beta, and it lasted me a while. The campaign is pretty cool and if you get into it you can spend a ton of time playing it. The RPG elements are pretty cool, but it is ruthless in it's difficulty. You gotta either be really careful in the missions or be willing to reload.

All of the characters (and you get a limited amount in the game) can level up in one of four different areas. Soldier, Scientist, Mechanic, and Builder dude. Your guys can do anything, but they will be much better at what they have skill in.

It really is a bitch when you've spent 5 levels getting your mechanic up to insane mechanic skills only to have him blasted by the enemy on a base assault though. Especially when you are trying to not reload at all and are forced to use some borderline retarded mechanics :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man

Jimlad posted:

Just chiming in to say TOCA 3 is really great. I'm not really into racing games, but I'm really getting into this one. The graphics still hold up reasonably well, and there's huge variety to the race and vehicle types available. Glad I went and picked it up.

Do you have a gamepad or wheel?

If not, how does it work without said peripherals?