Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

Feenix posted:

it is and it isn't. Understand that Ive gotten into "I wanna beat this game" mode and also I'm at home with the flu. So a couple run throughs with last-second deaths that cost me a huge backtrack/retread and I just start to lose my patience a little.

Also 5-2 just kinda sucks.

[edit] where is the shortcut?

Yeah, I'd say 5-2 is probably the ugliest and most unpleasant stage to go through in the game, between the swamp and the darkness and the enemies lurking in the mists, though I'm sure that was the idea. The hardest part for me was the first giant goblin on the island with a couple small goblins. I used ranged attacks, but I needed to be in the swamp to get close enough, and of course it makes a beeline for you once you hit it. Meanwhile, it's like you're walking in molasses, plus you have the bonus of being poisoned. Once I got past that, though, and through the first fog door, it seemed easier. There are only two other giant goblins that you have to go through, and at least there you're on solid land, so you can do ranged attacks and back up (with the Thief Ring) so it goes back to its spot. Repeat until dead.

Unfortunately, to access the shortcut, you have to practically get all the way to the boss in the first place. Instead of going to the left and the big fog door, you go to your right along a narrow ledge, where you knock down a plank at the end. This gives you a bridge to the boss nearly from the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I beat 1-2 earlier and I've started messing with some of the other stages a bit. I am using the Crescent Falcion +1, Compound Long Bow +3, Short Spear +4, Morning Star +3, and Purple Flame Shield, depending on situation.

Is there any gear I should focus on getting before I put all my effort into clearing new stages? Is it a bad thing that I still have all of my starting armor? (I picked soldier if that makes any difference.)

If not, should I start with 2-1? 1-3 seems to be blocked until I have a certain type of soul.

Gooch181 fucked around with this message at 07:58 on May 21, 2009

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Gooch181 posted:

I beat 1-2 earlier and I've started messing with some of the other stages a bit. I am using the Crescent Falcion +1, Compound Long Bow +3, Short Spear +4, Morning Star +3, and Purple Flame Shield, depending on situation.

Is there any gear I should focus on getting before I put all my effort into clearing new stages? Is it a bad thing that I still have all of my starting armor? (I picked soldier if that makes any difference.)

If not, should I start with 2-1? 1-3 seems to be blocked until I have a certain type of soul.

2-1 is pretty much the natural second area to go through. Your spear and falchion are plenty to get through all of area 2, which contains a lot of treasure and opens up better item upgrading.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

dis astranagant posted:

My biggest problem is that the ore I need to make my primary weapon better only exist there and it takes too long to kill giants and the like. I'm not 100% used to the heavy armor clang for a roll nor the lack of a roll on most of the map, either.
Why are you running through the swamp? I told you were to get chunks of faintstone. The pure one you get from the chick in the Nexus if you have 20 faith, which you should have if you're trying to make a blessed weapon anyway, the splinters can be bought for souls but I had plenty of those. If you are at black WT there will be a giant BP in the upper area but you can either avoid him or just farm the first shaman.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Hamburger Test posted:

Why are you running through the swamp? I told you were to get chunks of faintstone. The pure one you get from the chick in the Nexus if you have 20 faith, which you should have if you're trying to make a blessed weapon anyway, the splinters can be bought for souls but I had plenty of those. If you are at black WT there will be a giant BP in the upper area but you can either avoid him or just farm the first shaman.

I finally got the job done. Turns out that the best way to get faintstone is just to get it off the crystal geckos, which are conveniently close to archstones. As for why I was running through the swamp, I still hadn't gotten around to actually getting through the area.

So far the regen whore gimmick is working decently. I regen 27 per second with my blessed halberd +5, adjudicator's shield +2, regenerator's ring and slow recovery, which pretty much solves any need for between fight healing.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

dis astranagant posted:

I finally got the job done. Turns out that the best way to get faintstone is just to get it off the crystal geckos, which are conveniently close to archstones. As for why I was running through the swamp, I still hadn't gotten around to actually getting through the area.

So far the regen whore gimmick is working decently. I regen 27 per second with my blessed halberd +5, adjudicator's shield +2, regenerator's ring and slow recovery, which pretty much solves any need for between fight healing.
I couldn't get enough chunks off the geckos, probably because I never raised luck and didn't have the LSoS yet, so I had to farm the shamans for about 15 chunks.

Yea, it's pretty awesome for when you're being lazy. Great damage without needing to use the magic weapon spells or items, and for normal monsters you don't really have to worry about eating grass. With both the shield and blessed fully upgraded, I tend to skip the ring since there are so many other useful ones.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Hamburger Test posted:

I couldn't get enough chunks off the geckos, probably because I never raised luck and didn't have the LSoS yet, so I had to farm the shamans for about 15 chunks.

Yea, it's pretty awesome for when you're being lazy. Great damage without needing to use the magic weapon spells or items, and for normal monsters you don't really have to worry about eating grass. With both the shield and blessed fully upgraded, I tend to skip the ring since there are so many other useful ones.

That's odd. I only had 10 luck and got 2 chunks off the gecko in 5-3 every time I killed him.

Demons Holes
Feb 13, 2007

Do you seek soul power? Touch the demon inside me.

dis astranagant posted:

2-1 is pretty much the natural second area to go through. Your spear and falchion are plenty to get through all of area 2, which contains a lot of treasure and opens up better item upgrading.

I always finish 4-X before going into 2-1, 2-2 and 2-3. You'll tear the poo poo out of the Adjudicator with the Falchion, the Old Hero is a joke, and as far as the Storm King goes...well that's kind of done for you.

After that you will have 1-3 open.

Hit up 2-1, kill Armor Spider, then head to 3-1 and snag the thief's armor set. After that, go ahead and finish 2-X.

My preferred stage order is like this:

1-1 (obvious), 1-2 (winged spear/catalyst/short bow), 4-1 (crescent falchion/regen ring/ compound long bow), 2-1 (take out the boss with long bow), 4-2 (soul arrow on old hero), 4-3 (easy as pie), 3-1 (thieves armor/etc), 2-2 (ore galore, trap the boss on the stairs and soul arrow), 2-3 (flamethrower on the rubble from the shade), 5-1 (walk carefully, snipe the boss with arrows), 1-3 (firestorm the penetrator for an easy kill), 5-2 (poison ring and thieves ring/sword of moonlight/sneak past the big trolls/firestorm to kill the boss in 2 hits), 5-3 (snipe the crap out of astraea with arrows from above), 1-4 (use death cloud gotten from boss of 5-3 soul to kill boss easily), 3-2 (death cloud again to paralyze both maneaters completely and beat them down), 3-3 (in offline mode for the easy win)

Kikaimegami
Feb 4, 2005
Machine Goddess
How do you Death Cloud Maneater without him jumping you in the process? Am I just being too impatient and needing to chill out to get him with it? It seems like I cast it and it doesn't really do anything so I'm guessing I'm missing :(

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Demons Holes posted:

I always finish 4-X before going into 2-1, 2-2 and 2-3. You'll tear the poo poo out of the Adjudicator with the Falchion, the Old Hero is a joke, and as far as the Storm King goes...well that's kind of done for you.

After that you will have 1-3 open.

Hit up 2-1, kill Armor Spider, then head to 3-1 and snag the thief's armor set. After that, go ahead and finish 2-X.

My preferred stage order is like this:

1-1 (obvious), 1-2 (winged spear/catalyst/short bow), 4-1 (crescent falchion/regen ring/ compound long bow), 2-1 (take out the boss with long bow), 4-2 (soul arrow on old hero), 4-3 (easy as pie), 3-1 (thieves armor/etc), 2-2 (ore galore, trap the boss on the stairs and soul arrow), 2-3 (flamethrower on the rubble from the shade), 5-1 (walk carefully, snipe the boss with arrows), 1-3 (firestorm the penetrator for an easy kill), 5-2 (poison ring and thieves ring/sword of moonlight/sneak past the big trolls/firestorm to kill the boss in 2 hits), 5-3 (snipe the crap out of astraea with arrows from above), 1-4 (use death cloud gotten from boss of 5-3 soul to kill boss easily), 3-2 (death cloud again to paralyze both maneaters completely and beat them down), 3-3 (in offline mode for the easy win)

Yeah, but the great club in 2-1 tears the poo poo out of the skeletons in area 4. 1-2 is needlessly difficult for few rewards, while 2-1 is trivial with a spear.

Demons Holes
Feb 13, 2007

Do you seek soul power? Touch the demon inside me.

Kikaimegami posted:

How do you Death Cloud Maneater without him jumping you in the process? Am I just being too impatient and needing to chill out to get him with it? It seems like I cast it and it doesn't really do anything so I'm guessing I'm missing :(

It takes about 30 seconds or so to paralyze him. Death Cloud the first one and run to the flame in the center. Bob and weave until he freezes up and then repeat on the second one.

This ends up making one of the hardest bosses one of the easiest.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Can anyone give me an exact location for Regenerator's Ring? Wiki says 4-1, but the tunnels in 4-1 are super annoying to me and I really don't feel like looking through them again.

magical_ape
Apr 30, 2008

*Do justice to yourself*
So all the maps have been removed and a notice put up

quote:

All maps have been removed following a claim by the legal owner of the material.
The owner did not grant permission to copy, translate or distribute this materials, and a formal complaint is under process.
Uploading and using this maps for walkthroughs without due permission is copyright infringement and it will not be tolerated.

On another note, how is it best to get meltstone, ive killed a poo poo load of those fire geckos and they have never dropped anything, i need the meltstone as i took my compound long bow to +5 by accident and i want it at +3 now so i can get the best bow.
I accidentally use the meltstone you pick up as treasure early in the game "upgrading" a weapon, then see it downgrade it haha.

magical_ape fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 21, 2009

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

CRAYON posted:

Can anyone give me an exact location for Regenerator's Ring? Wiki says 4-1, but the tunnels in 4-1 are super annoying to me and I really don't feel like looking through them again.

Take the shortcut in 4-1, and it drops you right on top of the ring. The shortcut is from the rightmost tower of the second castle wall you come upon (the one with the fog door, rightmost as you are facing the fog door.

Basically enter the fog door and go left in the passageway (watch out for the arrow trap -- keep your shield up). Go up the stairs and kill the Silver Skeleton, then cross the wall until you're at the top of the stairs in the right most tower. What you want to do is run and then roll, sort of aiming for the Southeast corner of the tower (which is a spot above the stairs that go to the base, so you're rolling out over open space). When I say South East, i'm imagining that the wall you're own runs directly East West, and that if you're outside the wall, facing the first fog door (And the boss beyond it) you're facing due north.

You need to be light enough that you can run and roll quickly, but it shouldn't take too many times to hit the spot. If you do it right, you're left standing on top of the broken wall, and then you can just drop down to the courtyards outside the wall, where teh regenerator ring is on a corpse. As a bonus, it's just a quick run to the boss, bypassing all that stuff with mantas and Gold Skeletons.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

magical_ape posted:

Oh no using maps drawn in MS-Paint for a videogame I'd better lawyer up :ohdear:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Some random goony goon could always just copy the images and post them here in a link to 'em (ie: Photobucket) and dodge the lawyerin'. I hear vidya lawyers be hardcore, son.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

magical_ape posted:

On another note, how is it best to get meltstone, ive killed a poo poo load of those fire geckos and they have never dropped anything, i need the meltstone as i took my compound long bow to +5 by accident and i want it at +3 now so i can get the best bow.
I accidentally use the meltstone you pick up as treasure early in the game "upgrading" a weapon, then see it downgrade it haha.

My bow is currently +3 long compound bow, where should I go from +3?

magical_ape
Apr 30, 2008

*Do justice to yourself*

Gooch181 posted:

My bow is currently +3 long compound bow, where should I go from +3?

Upgrade it to Viscous long compound bow at Ed the blacksmith i believe.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

:siren: ATTENTION :siren:

I want to throw this game into a loving fire

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Kessel posted:

You are weak.

Don't get mad, just walk away for an hour. Something you can't explain will make you turn the game on again.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Kessel posted:

hehehe. What's the story, son? Come hop up on our collective knee and tell us what's got you all frown-faced!

ssug
Feb 13, 2008
Oh man... I'm blind. This is awesome!

Kessel posted:

Oh this won't do at all... as was said above, you will likely return after cooling off... I know I've run through that cycle a few times now.

Honestly, though, I'm surprised there aren't more posts like this.

My favorite game right now, BTW.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
I'm not too surprised. As was said before a few times, the game usually doesn't kill you all that cheaply. It's generally pretty clearly going to be your own fault for rushing or doing something careless or retarded.

The one death that really really ticked me off though was when I dropped from the parapet in 3-1 (right before the boss doors) and that stupid black phantom unstealthed and one-shotted me before I had a chance to recover from my fall. But even that would have been avoidable on my part if 1) I remembered her being there from my first time through the game, 2) I took the time to read the note somebody wrote before I dropped about watching for an ambush, and 3) If I dropped into a roll maybe I would have had time to get out of the way before she sniped me.

Squint
Jul 14, 2007

Extremely Not Bad
Fall 2009? drat, it's going to be a while before I can LP this game. :(

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
I've died plenty of times where I thought it was cheap. Manta Rays shoot me through walls constantly, I hate them. Getting down the right path to Flamelurker is really annoying also, whenever I'm unlucky enough not to have any player messages I fall to my death constantly because I can't see anything.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

nominal posted:

I dropped from the parapet in 3-1

This is the start and end of your mistake. I got through that area without even taking damage on my first try, simply because I went the longer route and just walked up the path towards the phantom. One Soul Remnant and the fight was over.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Squint posted:

LP the Asian version, just because. I'll volunteer to showup as a Blue Phantom for shenanigans.

VVVV- Squint already has the Asian version.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 21, 2009

Noldar
Sep 29, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Squint posted:

That would be awesome. After I play the hell out of my copy I'll send it to you for an LP. Hopefully it'll be before the NA release.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Only "cheap" death i've had is when two Fat Minister BP's spawned infront and behind me while I was on a narrow walkway with no way off other than through them.

They were also impossible to roll by. :(

I don't think i'm ever making it through 1-3.

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.

Armed Neutrality posted:

I've died plenty of times where I thought it was cheap. Manta Rays shoot me through walls constantly, I hate them. Getting down the right path to Flamelurker is really annoying also, whenever I'm unlucky enough not to have any player messages I fall to my death constantly because I can't see anything.

When it comes to manta rays just make sure you're wearing your thief's ring. For the right path to Flamelurker either turn up your screen brightness or learn a better way down there. I've gotten so used to the drops I can do it now without even looking down to see where I'm going to land.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm a soul level 80. Does anyone wanna get on RIGHT NOW and just help me power through from the Penetrator's Archstone to wherever the end game is?

I just wanna see the ending. I would be PHENOMENALLY thankful. :)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Feenix posted:

I'm a soul level 80. Does anyone wanna get on RIGHT NOW and just help me power through from the Penetrator's Archstone to wherever the end game is?

I just wanna see the ending. I would be PHENOMENALLY thankful. :)

I can. Get on IRC you chump.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Fuzz posted:

I can. Get on IRC you chump.

I don't even really have an IRC client. I'm on OSX. Any suggestions?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Feenix posted:

Well I would help, and tell you to go here and use the web client:

http://www.synirc.net/chat/

But i just checked and I don't have 1-3/1-4 open on that character yet, since I haven't done enough of NG+ with her yet. You can still Blue Phantom across NG+ as far as I've seen, so maybe someone else can help?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Fuzz posted:

Well I would help, and tell you to go here and use the web client:

http://www.synirc.net/chat/

But i just checked and I don't have 1-3/1-4 open on that character yet, since I haven't done enough of NG+ with her yet. You can still Blue Phantom across NG+ as far as I've seen, so maybe someone else can help?

k. Thanks :)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Feenix posted:

k. Thanks :)

Sorry. :(

You can still hop on IRC to try and find someone, there are a bunch of people on. There are a few different IRC clients usable on OSX.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 22, 2009

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.

Feenix posted:

Colloquy is the best OS X IRC client.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Ok, working on endgame stuff before I start a NG+ and have a few questions. I've killed all the bosses except the final one. So looking at the wiki there is no way I can bring my world tendency on any level to pure white, is that right? I could take them to pure black and kill the primeevil demon, but that's just a +3 which would take me back to neutral. I've also killed all the black demon npcs in each level. So it seems I'm screwed until NG+. And apparently Ostrava got killed somewhere because he's not in the nexus. So if I can't get pure white on world 2 then no Beast Talisman for me, which sucks. I thought helping someone kill a boss as a BlueP raised your world to white, but apparently now.

I think the only thing I have left to do is go pure black on every world to kill all the primeevil demons, and get pure black personal tendency to do the mephistophles assassin quests. I've turned in all of my Demon Souls for either spells or the special weapons, and used my colorless souls I got from Crow and 1-1 area to upgrade the regen shield.

Also, when it comes to online, can you get summoned into someone else's game if you're way higher SL than them? I know if you try to break in as a BP you have to be within a certain level, but it seems I've summoned a few BlueP to help that were much more badass than me.

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.
You need World 2 at pure black, not pure white to get the beast talisman. You have to kill BP Scirvir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancebot
May 21, 2007

"Come, follow me," Cthulhu said, "and I will make you fish that walk like men."
Wow, 1-4 is a humbling experience. I thought I was doing pretty well in the game (beat worlds two and three) but I can't even get past the first room! I killed the black phantom wielding the penetrating sword easy enough, but how can I take down the other two? When I draw out the phantom with the spear and tower shield he recovers so fast from a blocked attack that my axe rebounds and he skewers me. I'm guessing he's also wielding that pvp spear because he broke all my stuff for a nice 18,000 soul repair bill.

How did you folks that beat the game get past this?

• Locked thread