Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
:toot: Success! Clutch cable has successfully been reinstalled on the 650. A short break to rest and then it's "haul all that poo poo into the basement" time. Thanks everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Glad I could help.

*eagerly awaits Superhawk build thread* :munch:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Bucephalus posted:

Glad I could help.

*eagerly awaits Superhawk build thread* :munch:

Yes please document the Superhawk. It looks old and awesome.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I've ordered a copy of the manual from the internets and found a website with a forum that specializes in the 305. Either tonight or tomorrow (depending on how tired I am), I am going down into the basement where I just hauled all those goddamn parts and sorting through everything to see what I've got. I've decided to take tomorrow off. For now I will just separate poo poo into piles; these are engine parts, these are electrical parts, idon'tknowwhatthefucktheseare parts. That should at least give me a good gauge of what I have, what I should keep as a spare, and what I can sell.

This will be a slow and painful process. I didn't feel like I could pass up that whole lot for $100, but new stuff for missing pieces will come bit by bit. I R po'. I do have 2 whole sets of carbs, and a single lonely one that was lovingly stored in bubble wrap. I think I'll start with those since they are small and I have stuff to clean them with.

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.
I did almost everything.

Drained the old gas, got some new spark plugs, and started her up. She wasn't running so good. Thanks to a few awesome people in the question thread, I should just be a short trip to a parts store to get a couple of o-rings away from at least a functioning bike. And I found out what was wrong with the brake lever! It was just gummed up. And yeah, you should ALWAYS remember to put the hoses back on your fuel tank before you put the gas in.

Still on the agenda are those drat left turn signals, getting a new box for the taillight, finding out which of the two mystery hoses is for the battery vent, what the OTHER mystery hose is for, new tires and I may decide to paint the Gas can, but it's got quite a few dents. Maybe i'll look for a nice one at a junkyard or something once I can walk again.

And those o-rings for the intake boots. DON'T FORGET THAT NICK.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Oil changed on the 1977 CB750K. Unfortunately I couldn't change the filter because the oil filter bolt is totally stripped. THANKS, DAD!

I only put 200 miles on it last season. I'll worry about it at the end of this riding season.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Washed the GSX-R and put her on craigslist.

:(

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...
Put a 2008 R6 rear shock on my 1989 GSX600F. Its certainly a bit nicer to ride with damping!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Braincloud posted:

Washed the GSX-R and put her on craigslist.

:(

I washed up my XR200R and stuck in on craigslist

Also, I took advantage of Hooker getting out of the motorcycle business, and bought a set of their Troublemaker pipes at a huge discount. Only 14 sets left!

I hope they're here by the weekend. I'll get videos of the stock exhaust, the Screamin' Eagle II setup I have on there right now, and lastly, the Hooker pipes.

EvilDonald
Aug 30, 2002

I'm the urban spaceman, baby.
I ordered some pilot jet parts from Bike Bandit, and then thought longingly of the bike, as it's a thousand miles away, and the weather is perfect. :(

When I get home, Super Happy Bike Wrenching Day is coming, where I intend to:

- Remove carb, replace pilot jet, O-ring, and washer, and clean the hell out of it.
- Clean, lube and adjust the chain
- Remove the lowering links and put the stock ones back on
- Lower the front forks in the triple tree
- Lube the swingarm bearings
- Adjust the valves
- Change the oil
- Install bits of rubber on the places where the seat sits on the frame

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Need to take the fairings off today and figure out why my bike sounded like it was wheezing through a plastic bag. I wonder if my exhaust stud nuts have loosened a tad or something. Doesn't sound like any exhaust leak I have heard, but my experience comes from cars, not bikes that redline at 12k. Sounds like a mixture of a wet fart and engine rumble.

Oh and I love the weather right now. Entire week of riding ahead :dance:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

dietcokefiend posted:

I love the weather right now. Entire week of riding ahead :dance:

drat straight! Last 2 mornings it's been 30* with frost. Caged it to work 'cause I'm a pussy.

Content! Today I made this:

Click here for the full 1066x1600 image.

Tomorrow we'll see if it works. Note the shutoff valve at bottom-center, which can be closed to allow use on 2-carb setups. :science:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Finally got it to a shop to check the carb situation, and by got was it running like hell off the stop lights by the time I got there. I blame the traffic for overheating my little air-cooled baby.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Bucephalus posted:

Tomorrow we'll see if it works.

Nope. Abject failure. The oil is too light; carbs started sucking it out of the tubes almost immediately. Installed cigarette filters flow restrictors, but it was pulsing so badly there was no way it was going to work.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Bucephalus posted:

Nope. Abject failure. The oil is too light; carbs started sucking it out of the tubes almost immediately. Installed cigarette filters flow restrictors, but it was pulsing so badly there was no way it was going to work.

Next up try SeaFoam :v:

PyxlWyz
Jan 9, 2007
I painted a few bits (triple clamps!), mounted ASV levers, and put on new pro-taper bars, in gold. Bling!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

UPS guy dropped my stuff off. I was able to take the stock exhaust off last night, just a couple bolts. Should have gotten a 'before' sound clip.

CHROME

LOUD

'DRAG PIPES'

The NonBornKing
Jun 25, 2007
Early one mornin' while makin' the rounds, I took a shot o' cocaine and I shot my woman down.

Bucephalus posted:

I used automatic transmission fluid in a similar 2 carb setup and it worked beautifully, are you sure there is unrestricted flow between the base of the four tubes?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

The NonBornKing posted:

I used automatic transmission fluid in a similar 2 carb setup and it worked beautifully, are you sure there is unrestricted flow between the base of the four tubes?

Yep, it's all brass fittings. I may undo the fancy-pants brass and just tie the tubes together with vacuum tees.

Content: I fiddled around with the synch screws and got acceptable starting and idle. Revs right up with no bogging, settles right back to idle. Swapped the tail cowl over to the slightly-less-tattered fleabay seat, and reinstalled seat and tank. Aired up forks and tires. Lubed cables and chain. Turned rear shock preload all the way up. :btroll:

Swapped out the floppy Emgo left-hand mirror for the rusty round one off the CB750:

:pwn:

Main fuse upgrade:

Shiny new registration sticker!

Registration and insurance card in hand, I hopped on and took off down the road. It ran like poo poo. Missing on at least 2 cylinders. Closing the choke had no noticeable effect. 40mph in 3rd was all she had. Limped it back home. Time to bust out the meter and test the coils and plug wires. If I don't find anything there, I'll pull the carbs. Again. :suicide:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Installed. Lost a bolt so I spent about an hour searching for it, then I just said gently caress it and went and bought new ones.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
That looks awesome. Something about long-rear end pipes sticking way out past the rear wheel just rubs me the wrong way.

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.
Thanks to this guy ^^ I found out that my turn signals don't work because of the switch! I have no idea how to fix a switch. But tomorrow, lads and lasses, I am going to the parts store, picking up my o-rings, cranking my radio as high as it goes playing "Born to Run" and shes going to start.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
LH controls go for ~$20 on Ebay, if you're not feeling adventurous. Hell, tear it apart anyway, just to learn how it works.

So when are we going to see pics of this heap beast?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Chairon posted:

Thanks to this guy ^^ I found out that my turn signals don't work because of the switch! I have no idea how to fix a switch.

Generally you just clean the contacts inside the switch unless its in pieces.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
^^ You're right, I'm overthinking it. Chairon, pull it apart and look for wear/damage.

Of all the crazy, stupid poo poo...

On a whim, I pulled the air filter and took another spin. Holy poo poo, does this thing run. I'm so elated right now, I can barely type. 650 Four > 200 Twin.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I took the cover off mine. The 650's were notorious for breathing problems. Being at 4,000 feet means you need every available atom of oxygen, never mind what happens when I go for canyon rides. Just take off the plastic cover and use big washers to hold the filter in place.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I've read about that. Since I don't have sidecovers (:argh: HONDA), I'm going to try taking a hole saw and cutting the "hump" out of the middle of the cover. I'll get a new filter, new plugs, and an 18mm plug socket (:argh: HONDA), get the basics squared away, then do some serious carb/timing/valve tuning.

Valfar
Nov 12, 2004

Born to lose, live to win.
I got this motherfucker out of the countershaft! Was worried a bit because the hole I drilled was hilariously off center, but it worked!

Backstory here.

Now I'm just waiting for my drat sprockets and bolt to arrive, somehow my order got lost somewhere in cyberspace :argh:

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Being on good terms with the local hardware store owner has it's perks. Went there to see about getting a chain breaker and he only had the one he uses in his shop. He said go ahead and use it if you can get it back today. He's a good guy, rides an 82 or 83 Silverwing and the kid that works for him has a V30 Magna, we BS about bikes every time I go in there and a 5 minute trip there & back usually ends up taking about a half hour.

Got this chain and sproket set: http://www.sportbikesolutions.com/product_info-cPath-122_224_451_454-products_id-4214/ex_500_94_07_stock_plus_chain_sprocket_kit.htm

Had to dremel grind some of the chain rivet heads off so the breaker would Stay on target, Stay on target!
Put on the new sprokets, stock/ 1 up on the back, and used the C-clamp/flange tool to press the rivet on the X-ring chain.

The cush coupling was pretty sloppy, so I cut squares to fit from an old innertube and rubber cemented them onto it, so far it seems like it's working well.

The NonBornKing
Jun 25, 2007
Early one mornin' while makin' the rounds, I took a shot o' cocaine and I shot my woman down.
Today I cleaned my carbs. This is the first time I've even removed them, never mind taking them apart. Everything seemed to check out fine. The pilot needles were a little dirty but I don't think it was causing any major trouble. Removal, cleaning, and reinsertion took a little over 8.5 hours. I feel accomplished! It was raining when I finished so the test ride will wait until the morning.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

AnnoyBot posted:

...[Goldwing carb nightmare, followed by epoxy sculpture.]...

Both repairs seem to have gone well. The idle mixture screw fits the reassembled threads, and the air cutoff valve housing threads have been reconstructed. For the latter, I fit a screw with a bit of wax on the threads in the remains of the housing and put 2 layers of JB Weld epoxy around the exposed threads. The waxed screw came right out this morning and everything looks good. Onward to the Chemtool dip, and the dealer for a replacement mixture screw.

Over at the '82 Seca 650, I determined that one cylinder is sparking but not firing and the petcock is now leaking. Looks like I've got another round of fuel system work.

Sybok
May 25, 2006
Let's see, in the past two days I have stripped 2 Ninja 250s down to the frames. Cleaned all the parts and started rebuilding the new one with parts from both. Got the engine rebuilt with valves and oil done. Installed the cooling system and wire harness. front tire and triple trees are on as well as the swingarm and shock/dog bones. Tomorrow the internal plastics, engine, and rear tire are going on. This particular bike is going to be streetfightered with dual headlights ala street triple. :fap:

E: Oh, the carbs were torn apart, cleaned, and rebuilt as well.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Found out that a 1/4" drive handle is a far better tool for installing fairings than is a ratchet wrench. What took me 2 hours of cursing the last time turned into 20 minutes and a couple of mild gripes. (Course, it doesn't hurt that the last time I learned the way everything wants to fit together in the fist place)

What I actually did was unbolt and loctite some stuff I'd been worried about, like the bolts for my skidplate, muffler, and the subframe bolts that are also holding on my crash bars.

Now I'mma go ride it, test out a gorillapod camera mount.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Chairon posted:

tomorrow, lads and lasses, I am going to the parts store, picking up my o-rings, cranking my radio as high as it goes playing "Born to Run" and shes going to start.

Well?

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

I put that 08 KLR I wrecked last year back together enough to run around a bit and after resetting the pilot screw and shimming & drilling the carb slide it power wheelies in first.
Yes!

Thinking about getting a couple of 20mm ammo boxes and a frame for saddlebags too.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
I washed mine after a nice 200 mile stroll around upstate ny this weekend. Cleaned the chain and lubed it up, first time for me actually doing the chain...and hell first time washing the whole bike too.

Saturday I went all the way around Cayuga Lake, one of the finger lakes, I decided to make it my goal to ride around the major finger lakes in the region this summer.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

shaitan posted:

I washed mine after a nice 200 mile stroll around upstate ny this weekend. Cleaned the chain and lubed it up, first time for me actually doing the chain...and hell first time washing the whole bike too.

Saturday I went all the way around Cayuga Lake, one of the finger lakes, I decided to make it my goal to ride around the major finger lakes in the region this summer.

That sounds like fun. I've driven in a car around Keuka a couple times, I'd really like the chance to get back up there on a bike.

Fun Fact: Natives of WNY pronounce Cayuga and Keuka nearly identically.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rejetted the Bandit for the 90th time this spring. I'm getting it really close. Almost to the point that I'll need to stick it on a dyno just to get an a/f reading from the sniffer.

Its running good though, if you roll on the throttle over 3K in first its wheelie time, which is really crazy, as I'm more used to the top-end rush of my old GSXR.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Phat_Albert posted:

Rejetted the Bandit for the 90th time this spring. I'm getting it really close. Almost to the point that I'll need to stick it on a dyno just to get an a/f reading from the sniffer.

Its running good though, if you roll on the throttle over 3K in first its wheelie time, which is really crazy, as I'm more used to the top-end rush of my old GSXR.

Wasn't the RD a rocket ship before you sold it as well? I think you just like your power delivery dangerous and sudden. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Twas, yes. The RD was a whole different animal though. A tiny, smoky, electrically iffy animal.

I dont have any plans to get rid of the Bandit in the near future, its pretty much exactly what I want in a street bike.