Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

fitsfadda posted:

You were able to kill Demogorgon but the planes had you at sub-10 HP as a valkyrie with the orb of fate? This doesn't make sense to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Ogmius815 posted:

You were able to kill Demogorgon but the planes had you at sub-10 HP as a valkyrie with the orb of fate? This doesn't make sense to me.

Being able to kill Demogorgon was due mostly to the sheer luck that I was standing on the upstairs on a burned Elbereth while fighting Orcus. In the endgame I was overly excited and not playing as carefully as I should have been. The Orb of Fate was really the reason I didn't die. :shobon:

Also, do other classes need to depend on their pets much more? I didn't really care about it playing as a valk, but I was trying a rogue and I seem to keep dying although it doesn't help that I keep forgetting I'm not a valk.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Ledneh posted:

Is there any way at all to get that Portable Ubuntu stuff working on a 64 bit system? I really wanna use Interhack but everything I've seen so far says "nope, no can do" :(

Not at the moment. The work around is to install ubuntu in VirtualBox (or vmware but virtual box is free) then install interhack from there.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

fitsfadda posted:

Also, do other classes need to depend on their pets much more? I didn't really care about it playing as a valk, but I was trying a rogue and I seem to keep dying although it doesn't help that I keep forgetting I'm not a valk.

They definitely have to depend on something. Pets are a big help and highly recommended though there are other options such as Elbereth, heavy use of ranged attacks, Tourist's camera, etc.

Valkyries are tanks; they have great HP and, due to the shield, as soon as they get some junk armor they have the best AC in the early game. (Samurai, for instance, have better AC on turn 1 but practically need mithril to upgrade significantly from there). Long sword isn't a bad starting weapon, either. Valkyries can hack and slash through the game in a way that many classes can't.

Playing a rogue like a valkyrie will indeed get you killed plenty. Honestly I've never gotten the hang of rogues, or rangers either really. But for sure you want to do as much damage from a distance as you can, and expect a bit more of running from fights and letting your pet do the work and so forth than valkyries have to deal with.

McNerd fucked around with this message at 07:16 on May 24, 2009

Girl Drink Drunk
Jan 2, 2007

"Well it's really quite simple Russ. You simply take twelve large strawberries chopped, three ounces of dark rum and a..."
Is it possible to convert Minetown's altar and kill the crossaligned priest without alerting the guards? This wouldn't be an issue for me with a chaotic character, but I'm stuck with a neutral ranger who really needs maximized luck and a stack of blessed arrows.

The tentative plan is, having reflection from Sokoban, to sacrifice on the altar in front of the priest, then zap him with a wand of polymorph. I'm not sure if this'll work, though.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Girl Drink Drunk posted:

Is it possible to convert Minetown's altar and kill the crossaligned priest without alerting the guards? This wouldn't be an issue for me with a chaotic character, but I'm stuck with a neutral ranger who really needs maximized luck and a stack of blessed arrows.

The tentative plan is, having reflection from Sokoban, to sacrifice on the altar in front of the priest, then zap him with a wand of polymorph. I'm not sure if this'll work, though.
You're spot-on. Wands of polymorph are great for this, they even prevent you from committing murder. It would be arguably safer for you to zap the wand before converting the altar, though (and you might get a good sacrifice animal from killing the poly'ed priest, too).

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

fitsfadda posted:

If you play on NAO or have Autopickup exceptions set up on your own PC, it helps a ton when playing Rogues, Rangers or any other class that use missile weapons.

I usually use my pet as a curse tester for armor while I head to sokoban. By that point I usually have an AC worth a drat and a melee weapon for backup. Healers are the exception though.

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I PLAYED BATTLETOADS AND ALL I GOT WAS A RASH IN MY ASS
Don't forget about the Rogue's backstab bonus.
Elbereth or a Tooled horn plus a stack of enchanted daggers will make short work of anything.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I have a +4 mummy wrapping. In all your opinions is the +4 or being invisible more valuable? Armor class is -10 with -14 without.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Ogmius815 posted:

I have a +4 mummy wrapping. In all your opinions is the +4 or being invisible more valuable? Armor class is -10 with -14 without.

First off, are you wearing mithril? You want the highest level of magic cancellation (3rd level, not related to magic resistance which of course you also want ASAP); this is far more important than either the +4 or the invisibility at this point. Most cloaks provide this: even dwarven cloaks suffice. But armor usually doesn't, except mithril, so if you're not wearing that then the mummy wrapping is out of the question.

Second, what cloak would you wear instead of the mummy wrapping? An elven cloak gives you +1 so you wouldn't be losing as much (and stealth if you don't already have it; this goes nicely with invisibility). If you have a robe or something, then the +4 is really looking more like +2 and not worth it.

Beyond that, I'd personally go with invisibility anyway but I don't have quite good enough of a feel for AC to say for sure. Like you say, maybe factor in other opinions.

Worst case, at least you don't have to fear getting caught with your pants down in a shop!

EDIT: And on an unrelated note, I found out why you can't let yourself get bored of digging through the loot. Going through a series of open water levels, I was getting bored of going around to look at every crappy item sitting on the ground. I saw some crappy ) sitting halfway across the screen and half of me didn't want the hassle of going to look. Turned out to be someone's silver saber named Grayswandir.

I'm a healer so can only get basic, and I'm exactly one floor away from the Staff of Aescapalius (if I don't die, though I've taken fully six accidental swims by forgetting my ring of levitation so expect YASD soon). So I won't be using it as a primary weapon, but it'll sure be nice in Gehennom!

McNerd fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 25, 2009

bavid
Jul 28, 2003
I've got myself pretty stuck and figured I'd see if anyone has an idea that can save my valkyrie. I'm on the top level of the wizards tower, wearing a ring of levitation that got cursed while I was up there.

Usually, that would be fine, but I just (for the first time, of course) blew up my bag of holding with a wand of cancellation. It had my remove curse scrolls and holy water in it (and 3 amulets of life saving, but they're a little less important now). I thought I'd use the orb of fate to teleport out to somewhere I could pray, but I must have put it in the bag of holding right before blowing it up since it's sitting on the ground beneath me. The only scrolls I've got are light and confuse monster, and I don't have a wand of lightning. There's no sink, since I'm stuck in the middle of the wizards tower.

The only thing I can think of is waiting around for a nymph to show up, dropping all my other items, and having it steal the ring before it teleports away. I've got a ring of slow digestion and 8 food rations, so I can certainly wait a while, but I figured I'd see if anyone had other ideas.

It'll be pretty painful to starve to death in the tower. Between my 4 amulets of life saving, 700 HP, and a boatload of nice gear, I had figured this would be my first ascension!

Edit: I realized I had an oil lamp I hadn't ID'd yet, so I tried rubbing it. Killing that angry djinn was the worst thing ever.

bavid fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 25, 2009

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

So I downloaded a telnet program for my Blackberry Pearl and was able to use it to watch games on NAO. I still haven't tried playing but has anyone ever played NetHack on NAO using their cell phone?

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
Update: got the staff and escaped with no further water in my lungs. It got a little scary when I realized I wasn't protected from level drain, but I put him to sleep and killed him to death. It's pretty awesome having the Staff of Aescepalius and also a pet vampire lord (with YDSM!) Cheap kills by level drain are fun; now I can double my pleasure!

bavid posted:

I've got myself pretty stuck and figured I'd see if anyone has an idea that can save my valkyrie. I'm on the top level of the wizards tower, wearing a ring of levitation that got cursed while I was up there.

Usually, that would be fine, but I just (for the first time, of course) blew up my bag of holding with a wand of cancellation. It had my remove curse scrolls and holy water in it (and 3 amulets of life saving, but they're a little less important now). I thought I'd use the orb of fate to teleport out to somewhere I could pray, but I must have put it in the bag of holding right before blowing it up since it's sitting on the ground beneath me. The only scrolls I've got are light and confuse monster, and I don't have a wand of lightning. There's no sink, since I'm stuck in the middle of the wizards tower.

The only thing I can think of is waiting around for a nymph to show up, dropping all my other items, and having it steal the ring before it teleports away. I've got a ring of slow digestion and 8 food rations, so I can certainly wait a while, but I figured I'd see if anyone had other ideas.

It'll be pretty painful to starve to death in the tower. Between my 4 amulets of life saving, 700 HP, and a boatload of nice gear, I had figured this would be my first ascension!

Edit: I realized I had an oil lamp I hadn't ID'd yet, so I tried rubbing it. Killing that angry djinn was the worst thing ever.

You got quite a pickle there. I assume you didn't accidentally say "wizard's tower" instead of "Vlad's tower," where oddly enough you are allowed to pray? Otherwise I can't think of much, although you haven't listed all your items so maybe there's a miracle to be had.

EDIT: vvvv Man, a bat almost screwed me in the early game this time: giant bat from a magic trap when I was at level 1. Though I can't complain; I played the "Get to the Minetown altar without reaching level 2 for cheap protection" game, and surprisingly this was the only rough patch on the way.

McNerd fucked around with this message at 07:13 on May 25, 2009

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
New enemy: bats

Bastards keep killing me for some reason :argh:

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
Got my third ascension, an archaeologist. Got grayswandir on dlvl3 and it was gravy from there.

The only real issue I had was not having a BoH until the castle. Inventory management was fun, and I felt like a bad person blowing a wish on a BoH.

I had to genocide gremlins because I kept getting mysterious forced below Jubilex's level, and some gremlins had gotten it on and there were maybe 30 of them, and it's night. I lost fire resistance and said gently caress it.

Speaking of the mysterious force, all three characters I've ascended have been lawful. I really need to stop playing lawful characters, cause that poo poo is infuriating.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bobwhoops
Oct 29, 2007

Sartak posted:

That sends two "escape" keys before trying to engrave, which should eliminate both of those two issues and more.

I think this should be used in more places. I was taking stuff out of my BoH and one of them was a scroll that hadn't been named, so it brought up the press "press tab to send ..." message. I didn't think anything about it and just pressed it. Next thing I know, "Your Cleaver becomes dull". It had written DEH on the floor, which presumably came from GRAVEN DEH. My guess is it did a bunch of stuff and finished taking stuff out of the bag, the E started an engrave, the N selected Cleaver, the space spaced through, and then it wrote DEH.

bavid
Jul 28, 2003

McNerd posted:

You got quite a pickle there. I assume you didn't accidentally say "wizard's tower" instead of "Vlad's tower," where oddly enough you are allowed to pray? Otherwise I can't think of much, although you haven't listed all your items so maybe there's a miracle to be had.

Sadly, it's the real wizard's tower. I've got:
-Amulets of life saving and reflection
-Excalibur, Greyswandir
-A T-Shirt, GDSM, leather gloves, high boots, a helmet, shield of relection, and an oilskin cloak
-food rations, royal jelly, lizard corpse
-scrolls of confuse monster, light
-3 unID'd spellbooks (none are papyrus, so I assume none are the botd.
-potion of restore ability
-rings: conflict, teleport control, slow digestion, regeneration, cursed levitation
-wands: digging, sleep, undead turning, fire
-tools: candelabra (with candles), that oil lamp that was magic, a blessed unicorn horn, a pick axe, skeleton key, a towel, and the silver bell

I had a couple more ideas - if I change alignment, then equip and unequip excalibur, won't it hit me with some lightning damage? The other thing I thought of was getting my god angry enough to smite me, but I dont think I have disintegration resistance, so that wouldn't end well. I can't really think of a way to change my alignment without getting my got mad either.

I guess reading those three unID'd spellbooks is the way to go, in case one happens to be remove curse. Spellbooks are the one type of item in the game I have yet to use at all, so we'll see how that goes. Also, I can't find the book of the dead anywhere in here, which I thought it would be. If I had managed to put it into my pack before blowing it up, would it have been destroyed?

Darth l33t
Jul 6, 2000

bavid posted:

I had a couple more ideas - if I change alignment, then equip and unequip excalibur, won't it hit me with some lightning damage?
No, touching a cross-aligned artifact deals pure magic damage, not shock. And you don't have a way to change alignment anyway.

bavid posted:

I guess reading those three unID'd spellbooks is the way to go, in case one happens to be remove curse.
I'd say so. The only other thing I can think of is that if you can somehow get the Bell of Opening cursed, and run it out of charges (in either order), it will start acting like a regular cursed bell, which has a chance of summoning a nymph. So if a lich or something comes up, you might want to let it curse your stuff until it gets the Bell.

bobwhoops
Oct 29, 2007

bavid posted:

stuff

You can't wait for a nymph because they're too low level to be generated. Waiting for a shocking monster probably works though. Edit: ^, huh, didn't know bells did that, you should try that

Spellbook would work if you're lucky.

You can't destroy the book of the dead (or put it into a container)

Wizmode testing seems to indicate that a bolt of lightning won't destroy your rings. Artifact blasts definitely won't.

bobwhoops fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 25, 2009

bavid
Jul 28, 2003
Thanks for checking that out - unfortunately, I genocided liches earlier in the game, so they won't be showing up.

I assume the wizard himself cursd the ring during the fight...is there anything else that could curse my bell?

-Unbelievable, I just tried reading one of the spellbooks, and an energy vortex appeared. I figured I'd be all set if I just removed my shield of reflection and GDSM, but they're both cursed too!

Edit- can wolves wear rings? I dont really want to become a werewolf, but if that's what it takes, I'm down

bavid fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 25, 2009

BARON BONGHITS
Jul 20, 2005

ahahaha tyeaa smoke weed lick a nigga fartjohnson chet etc blablab dmx guns are strong WOOF WOOF mameshibaaa~
If any of the books are cursed you could keep reading it until you got a teleport (still works on no-tele, doesn't it?) as one of the random bad effects. It could leave you paralyzed next to a minotaur but just put on an AoLS first and you'll be fine.

Oh, I checked and its not even paralysis, just confusion, and you only need a level 1 cursed spellbook for a chance of getting the teleport. You got any other books you know are cursed?

BARON BONGHITS fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 25, 2009

bavid
Jul 28, 2003
well, I read the books, one is cursed, but a mysterious force prevents me from teleporting. Another one was teleport away, which I learned, but my armor is cursed on to me so I dont think I'll be able to cast it

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

TotallyGreen posted:

The only real issue I had was not having a BoH until the castle. Inventory management was fun, and I felt like a bad person blowing a wish on a BoH.

Meh, I do this often. It's pretty hard to manage without one, and if you don't find one you don't find one.

Erdos
Dec 31, 2005

bavid posted:

well, I read the books, one is cursed, but a mysterious force prevents me from teleporting. Another one was teleport away, which I learned, but my armor is cursed on to me so I dont think I'll be able to cast it

All three levels of the wizards tower are no teleport anyway. I think your only hope now might be polymorph, but it doesn't look like you have any sources.

BARON BONGHITS
Jul 20, 2005

ahahaha tyeaa smoke weed lick a nigga fartjohnson chet etc blablab dmx guns are strong WOOF WOOF mameshibaaa~
Ok, from testing in wizard mode, dropping most of your stuff and praying to Moloch will often curse your poo poo, eventually giving you a cursed bell of opening you can summon a nymph with. You could encounter god knows how many disintegration rays on the way, though, and with only one AoLS, well..

bavid
Jul 28, 2003
The wizard of yendor came back finally. I figured he'd be my chance at cursing the bell, so I was about to put it on. Before I did so, I was removing all my other amulets and armor so they wouldn't get cursed and stuck on me (figuring that I'll want to drop them once I get a nymph summoned so they dont get stolen before the ring)

"You were wearing an uncursed towel.
You can see again.
It hits!
It stole a silver bell!"

I didn't know he could do that.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
This is part of why nethack is so great. You can be up poo poo's creek and still be able to pause, take a breath, and get the Internet to help find you a paddle.

BARON BONGHITS
Jul 20, 2005

bavid posted:

The wizard of yendor came back finally. I figured he'd be my chance at cursing the bell, so I was about to put it on. Before I did so, I was removing all my other amulets and armor so they wouldn't get cursed and stuck on me (figuring that I'll want to drop them once I get a nymph summoned so they dont get stolen before the ring)

"You were wearing an uncursed towel.
You can see again.
It hits!
It stole a silver bell!"

Oh jeez, I think you're about as hosed as they come, now :|

bavid
Jul 28, 2003

BARON BONGHITS posted:

Oh jeez, I think you're about as hosed as they come, now :|

Yeah, it's not a good scene. I'm going to hope an incubus shows up, removes my armor, and then an electric enemy pops up and removes the ring. It's my only hope.

I'll make sure to get a good screenshot when I starve to death!

Darth l33t
Jul 6, 2000
Bavid, when they said "all NetHack games are winnable", I don't think they had yours in mind. I think you'd better plan a spectacular way to die, because even if you somehow get that ring off your finger, I doubt you're getting out of Gehennom alive.

The moral of the story is not to carry around a wand of cancellation. To everyone whining "But my cursed BoH :supaburn:" -- carry some holy water, rebless the bag every time it gets unblessed, and the chances of it becoming cursed are slim. Keep some holy water and blessed ?oRC in an oilskin sack. Or just don't carry so much junk around that you get so overencumbered by a cBoH.

If you want a /oC for mass blanking, keep in in your stash. You can always fetch it down to uncurse your bag.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

bavid posted:

Yeah, he can steal any of the invocation arguments as well as the amulet.

bavid
Jul 28, 2003

Darth l33t posted:

The moral of the story is not to carry around a wand of cancellation.

I never do...that is what made me so clumsy with it. Maybe 10 minutes before this happened, I thought to myself "I wonder if they up the /oc drop rate in gehennom just to gently caress with people like me", so I guess I was asking for it.

bobwhoops
Oct 29, 2007
/oC are pretty useful, especially against enemies. In my most recent game a nymph had stolen some of my armor and then a fire elemental spawned who nearly killed me because I didn't have fire resistance. I zapped it with the /oC and it became harmless.

Darth l33t
Jul 6, 2000

bobwhoops posted:

/oC are pretty useful, especially against enemies. In my most recent game a nymph had stolen some of my armor and then a fire elemental spawned who nearly killed me because I didn't have fire resistance. I zapped it with the /oC and it became harmless.
Both of those creatures respect Elbereth, so you might as well have used a /oDi/F/Ln. Pretty much anything that's a substantial threat and ignores Elbereth is either not affected by cancellation or has enough MR to resist it most of the time.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Darth l33t posted:

Both of those creatures respect Elbereth, so you might as well have used a /oDi/F/Ln. Pretty much anything that's a substantial threat and ignores Elbereth is either not affected by cancellation or has enough MR to resist it most of the time.

It's still very handy, although if I were prone to putting it in bags accidentally I might reconsider (never done it so far). Even minor things like eels and disenchanters; it just removes a lot of hassle from the game. Fighting on an Elbereth square can be a pain.

Erdos
Dec 31, 2005
What are good early wishes for monks since GDSM/SDSM is out? I found a blessed magic lamp in the mines.

I'm going to try and make it to sokoban first to see if I get an "oR.

Edit: Scratch that, 2 magic lamps. There was another blessed one in Izchak's.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

I think that if you are levitating over a sink you will, uhh... sink. Perhaps that helps!

Darth l33t
Jul 6, 2000

Erdos posted:

What are good early wishes for monks since GDSM/SDSM is out? I found a blessed magic lamp in the mines.
You didn't mention your alignment, but once you reach 41 HP, a quest artifact might be a good choice. The (wizard) Eye is the best choice for neutrals, and the Scepter is pretty good if you're lawful. If you're chaotic, you might want to skip the Key, since you already get teleport control at level 17. Other options for your wish are gauntlets of power (you can still cast at 0% fail if you wear your robe) and speed boots.

Try to save one of the lamps until you have your quest artifact. You could use it just before Master Kaen to wish for a blessed spellbook of drain life; levitating over lava while draining MK's levels is one of the best strategies for dealing with him.

ImJasonH
Apr 2, 2004

RAMALAMADINGDONG!

Social Animal posted:

So I downloaded a telnet program for my Blackberry Pearl and was able to use it to watch games on NAO. I still haven't tried playing but has anyone ever played NetHack on NAO using their cell phone?

What application was it? I tried one and NAO was incomprehensible, even to watch games.

If you can watch games, I can't imagine playing would be much harder, as long as you're used to hjkl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bavid
Jul 28, 2003
Ahh, that's a relief. After 120k turns, I prayed my valkyrie to death. Now I can start something new and not spend another couple days wondering how to get a ring off my finger.

• Locked thread