Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BARON BONGHITS
Jul 20, 2005

ahahaha tyeaa smoke weed lick a nigga fartjohnson chet etc blablab dmx guns are strong WOOF WOOF mameshibaaa~

ImJasonH posted:

What application was it? I tried one and NAO was incomprehensible, even to watch games.

If you can watch games, I can't imagine playing would be much harder, as long as you're used to hjkl.
Maybe you have to set it to IBM graphics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xazak
May 6, 2008

BARON BONGHITS posted:

Maybe you have to set it to IBM graphics?

If this is the case, you'll either need to change the translation type of your terminal client to CP437, or change that line in your defaults to DEC graphics, which will work without any extra fuss. If you're watching a game and it looks like a garbled mess because of that option, the former solution is your only choice.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Darth l33t posted:

You didn't mention your alignment, but once you reach 41 HP, a quest artifact might be a good choice. The (wizard) Eye is the best choice for neutrals, and the Scepter is pretty good if you're lawful.
I hear the Orb of Fate is good too for neutrals: half physical as well as spell damage is quite nice when you can't wear armor, though you don't get the magic resistance. Might be worth considering? I don't know.

Darth l33t
Jul 6, 2000

McNerd posted:

I hear the Orb of Fate is good too for neutrals: half physical as well as spell damage is quite nice when you can't wear armor, though you don't get the magic resistance. Might be worth considering? I don't know.
It's not a bad choice by any means, especially once you reach level 17 for the controlled levelports. It's just that the power regeneration from the Eye is too good to pass up; you can cast extra healing or something almost constantly, which is even better than half damage. Also, crystal balls are really heavy, and with an early-game monk's STR, he probably won't be able to avoid being burdened while carrying it.

Grisly Grotto
Jun 17, 2003

Are sure you should fight tonight? You don't look well.
ugh, YASD. Probably the most promising archaeologist I've had (most of mine die before minetown), and I died in the most retarded manner. Didn't have anything especially great, but I was alive, I'd gotten to minetown, I had a wand of teleport and a ring of teleport control, a few ok pets and a magic whistle, I also had a silver saber. Things started going bad when a mind flayer wiped out all my pets, so I ran out of the mines quickly. I then hit a teleport trap, teleport control prompted me for what level i wanted to go to... but me not really watching I'd tapped left twice and hit enter before thinking about it. I teleported myself to the valley of the dead. Things ended pretty quickly from there.

So now my question is: is there a safe way to teleport back from way deeper in the dungeon than you should be? I know a cursed teleport scroll or cursed levitation would have been useful, but I had nothing like that.

e: another hosed up thing that happened to me, I was chasing a couple of nymphs around, as they'd stolen a bit of my stuff. I didn't want to risk a luck penalty by casting force bolt at them, and I had nothing to throw, so I decided to zap an unidentified wand at one. It was create monster, which created yet another nymph. I really should carry daggers or something I guess.

Grisly Grotto fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 26, 2009

Darth l33t
Jul 6, 2000

Grisly Grotto posted:

ugh, YASD. Probably the most promising archaeologist I've had (most of mine die before minetown), and I died in the most retarded manner. Didn't have anything especially great, but I was alive, I'd gotten to minetown, I had a wand of teleport and a ring of teleport control, a few ok pets and a magic whistle, I also had a silver saber. Things started going bad when a mind flayer wiped out all my pets, so I ran out of the mines quickly. I then hit a teleport trap, teleport control prompted me for what level i wanted to go to... but me not really watching I'd tapped left twice and hit enter before thinking about it. I teleported myself to the valley of the dead. Things ended pretty quickly from there.

So now my question is: is there a safe way to teleport back from way deeper in the dungeon than you should be? I know a cursed teleport scroll or cursed levitation would have been useful, but I had nothing like that.
Cursed scroll of teleportation yes, cursed potion of levitation no. The lesson you should learn from this game is to never press or hold a direction repeatedly. You could have run into a rust monster or floating eye just as easily. Use g<direction> to cover long distances.

I have to say, though, the concept of an absent-minded adventurer accidentally teleporting himself to hell is hilarious.

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I PLAYED BATTLETOADS AND ALL I GOT WAS A RASH IN MY ASS

Grisly Grotto posted:

I believe you're thinking of a cursed potion of gain level. Other options for levelport are the Orb of Fate and Eye of the Aethiopica.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Grisly Grotto posted:

Instead of cursed levitation, I believe what you're thinking of is a cursed potion of gain level which takes you up one floor. Not a very big help in your situation. They're also rather hard to come by: enemies tend to drink them (and all gain level potions) before dying, and personally I don't want to curse one myself if I can avoid it.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

ImJasonH posted:

What application was it? I tried one and NAO was incomprehensible, even to watch games.

If you can watch games, I can't imagine playing would be much harder, as long as you're used to hjkl.

MidpSSH was the one I used: http://www.xk72.com/midpssh/ The only reason I haven't tried playing is because I forgot my NAO password since the last time I played was an Arc ascension last year.

Anyways it's still cumbersome and I still need to experiment with it. I'm capable of playing MUDs with it but I'm not sure if you can do direct input through just the keyboard. You have to select the input command then enter the letter and then it goes through. Maybe there's a better telnet program out there and I'd imagine this would be more fun with a full qwerty keyboard Blackberry, not the mini one on the Pearl.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
YASD, I really need to stop playing 'a few turns' before work in the morning. I had a priest that had a shield of reflection and GDSM on dlvl1. Had a few close calls on a Minetown bones file that had already killed a couple people but finally lost him this morning to a energy vortex. Had a wand of teleport and could've escaped just fine, but I went for one more hit like an idiot.

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

JawnV6 posted:

YASD, I really need to stop playing 'a few turns' before work in the morning. I had a priest that had a shield of reflection and GDSM on dlvl1. Had a few close calls on a Minetown bones file that had already killed a couple people but finally lost him this morning to a energy vortex. Had a wand of teleport and could've escaped just fine, but I went for one more hit like an idiot.

Energy/Ice vorticies are made dangerous by their passive attack (the damage you take when you hit them in melee). Stick to ranged attacks and you'll be fine. Throwing your weapon works pretty well, because it always lands at your feet.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Argon_Sloth posted:

Energy/Ice vorticies are made dangerous by their passive attack (the damage you take when you hit them in melee). Stick to ranged attacks and you'll be fine. Throwing your weapon works pretty well, because it always lands at your feet.

I was inside of it, do you really not take damage if you just . through it?

:suicide:

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

JawnV6 posted:

I was inside of it, do you really not take damage if you just . through it?

:suicide:

No, you will still get zapped or freeze to death if you sit inside without resistance. If you have resistance, then it doesn't matter if you hit with melee or not, because you won't take any damage regardless.

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

stubblyhead posted:

No, you will still get zapped or freeze to death if you sit inside without resistance. If you have resistance, then it doesn't matter if you hit with melee or not, because you won't take any damage regardless.

This is correct, but the difference is that their actual attack (freezing to death/zapping) does minimal damage, like 1d6 or something, while the passive attack is dependent on how much damage you do to them.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I both love and hate this game so much. That random Valkyrie I drew looks like it's going to make it but playing isn't very interesting-I think I have the formula for ascending down to the point where playing straight up Melee roles is a waste of my time (indeed, I only played this one at all to prove I could do it without finding 2 wands of wishing on the floor before level 10 like I did on my first Valkyrie).

On the other hand I have a very early Tourist at the beginning of the dungeon. I know he is going to die because I'm not nearly good or careful enough to ascend a Tourist. But he got lucky and found some Dwarvish mithril and a pair of speed boots. I'm going to be sad when he dies because I probably won't be so lucky next time.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Ogmius815 posted:

I both love and hate this game so much. That random Valkyrie I drew looks like it's going to make it but playing isn't very interesting-I think I have the formula for ascending down to the point where playing straight up Melee roles is a waste of my time (indeed, I only played this one at all to prove I could do it without finding 2 wands of wishing on the floor before level 10 like I did on my first Valkyrie).

Try some conducts; I'm considering that for the first time now. My healer is going so smoothly I was going to try wishless and genoless...until I realized how much I hate reading "The master lich escapes upstairs." Now we'll see if I can scrounge up a scroll of genocide or if I'll have to break wishless as well (it's going to be tough without speed boots anyway, at this rate). Or I'll just go up there with a c corpse; we'll see.

McNerd fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 26, 2009

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
So I just found one of my better wizard's bones files on my barbarian, and I've never had Magicbane on a melee before. Is Magicbane/Silver Saber twoweaponing good enough damage or do I need to try to get a Brand or Greyswandir?

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

TotallyGreen posted:

Is Magicbane/Silver Saber twoweaponing good enough damage or do I need to try to get a Brand or Greyswandir?

Twoweaponing any +6 or +7 items is going to be plenty of damage, having frostbrand or grayswandir is nice but far from necessary. Magicbane's magic resistance and curse catching is quite helpful so I'd run with it if I were in your position.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
If I'm using magicbane, I should be safe without genociding L right?

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

TotallyGreen posted:

If I'm using magicbane, I should be safe without genociding L right?

You should be fine. Till they summon nasties and you get minotaurs and other E immune monsters.

Darth l33t
Jul 6, 2000
What's really impressive about this one is that he pulled it off in under a month.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

That's just sick...

BARON BONGHITS
Jul 20, 2005

ahahaha tyeaa smoke weed lick a nigga fartjohnson chet etc blablab dmx guns are strong WOOF WOOF mameshibaaa~
:spergin: No other word for it

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Did he... beat NetHack?? Honestly I don't know how people have fun doing that kind of stuff haha.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.

Oh my god. Jesus.

That's loving impressive.

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.
I did my extinctionist in less than a week once during some hefty off-time with little to do.

Not recommended :(

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

TotallyGreen posted:

Oh my god. Jesus.

That's loving impressive.

No it's just kinda pathetic :(

I hope he used a bot or something, 400,000 turns of manually casting create monster and killing them sounds incredibly tedious.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

The worst I ever did was get my AC down to -120 or so pudding farming while goofing around at work over a few months.

I don't get why anyone would ever go for an extinctionist.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

What's impressive about it is that it's not his highest score, by a factor of 10.

Also I want the story behind this:

quote:

2 2147483647 Zadir-Pri-Hum-Fem-Neu died on the Astral Plane.
Killed by overexertion. 4140 [4140]

ImJasonH
Apr 2, 2004

RAMALAMADINGDONG!

code:
Contents of the bag of holding named <<< NOT ESSENTIAL BUT NICE >>>:
  a blessed oilskin sack named #1

Contents of the oilskin sack named #1:
  a blessed oilskin sack named #2

Contents of the oilskin sack named #2:
  a blessed oilskin sack named #3

Contents of the oilskin sack named #3:
  a blessed oilskin sack named #4

Contents of the oilskin sack named #4:
  a blessed oilskin sack named #5

Contents of the oilskin sack named #5:
  a blessed oilskin sack named #6

Contents of the oilskin sack named #6:
  a blessed oilskin sack named #7

Contents of the oilskin sack named #7:
  a blessed greased bag of holding named <<< VANITY BAG OF HOLDING! >>>

Contents of the bag of holding named <<< VANITY BAG OF HOLDING! >>>:
  250000 gold pieces

So it's possible to have a bag of holding inside another bag of holding, as long as it's nested inside of other oilskin sacks? Anybody know more about this? Does it make things even lighter?

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

ImJasonH posted:

So it's possible to have a bag of holding inside another bag of holding, as long as it's nested inside of other oilskin sacks? Anybody know more about this? Does it make things even lighter?

Yes. http://nethack.wikia.com/wiki/Bag_of_holding#Bag_of_holding. And yes. Nesting bags of holding does decrease the weight.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
What does that message, "You could recognize detrimental food" come from?

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

http://nethack.wikia.com/wiki/Food_appraisal

BARON BONGHITS
Jul 20, 2005

McNerd posted:

What's impressive about it is that it's not his highest score, by a factor of 10.

Also I want the story behind this:
That one's a bit more interesting and a lot more stylish (overexertion is loving to death. loving to death on the astral plane altar.) http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.roguelike.nethack/msg/beddbbf83d4a369d?pli=1

Lazerface
May 6, 2003

Is there a good source of these ascension summaries? I've read through these here http://nethack.wikia.com/wiki/Notable_ascensions but I'm less bothered about mad conduct ascensions. More instructional/entertaining if there are any?

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

BARON BONGHITS posted:

That one's a bit more interesting and a lot more stylish (overexertion is loving to death. loving to death on the astral plane altar.) http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.roguelike.nethack/msg/beddbbf83d4a369d?pli=1

HA.

Also,
code:
                                                           ! !    [ 
                                --------------- 
                                |?``%[%[/(*=*)| 
                                |?[---------%(| 
/ 
                                |`(|)=```"?|()| 
  ---------------   
|(`|*)/[*)`|[?|               --------------- 
  |)!`[)%)[??[[!|               |![|?[[$)(`|`?| 
|%[*![)!_()%[?| 
  |%)---------[%--   ---------   
`)|`/?%[(`|[`|  ---------   --`(---------)?| 
  |)*|)!("[/)|[))-- --!_[)[/_--   
|`+|`(?[)`*|[*| --`%[_?[+-- )-(*%|`))(/(`|*?| 
  |((|)_?!*__|*[=_---=([`[((??--|)/----)----[*|--!?[[_*_!*---)[%(|!()``)%|?)| 
  |*)|)$!!*_!!?*_(+`)*`/?([)[[/||%[)(/`%[+`[**||(+)(__)=*(%/?_)*)%/) 
_/`_|%?| 
  |!%|!/%=_(+|/_?_---_%%__!"[(-----%`[[?%)_*-----%(%_!/[?=---?![(|%)!````|?%| 
  |(%|`*=_)+%|![?-- --/)?[)+[--   -----)-----   --*%?!=!?-- --[%%|=%/I`@&|_/| 
  |[!---------[*--   ----!----    --[))[/_(--    ----*----   --==---------=?| 
  |)?+_[=%?[%[))|      |+(/--------%([)_!`![--------_()| 
|?*?%[=?()[%=%| 
  ---------------   
|+`_%_?(!%|*![%[[[?(/(|?*_![/!/(|      --------------- 
                       -------**[--%?)[_[=/(--%(`------- 
                             |[?!%--[[!**??--(/+)| 
                             ---!"`----!----=!_--- 
                               |?))[[[)[_+%**([| 
                               ----------------- 
Note: That mess of items is the result of zapping a wand of teleport > at a pile of 20,000+ items, not recommended)
HA.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Wait, you can make a silver saber +9????

I thought +7 was the max for all weapons...

edit: I also see he has some +8 stuff in there too... didn't know that was possible!

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

It is not a fixed max, weapons are just too likely to blow up past +5.

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'

Hal Incandenza posted:

Wait, you can make a silver saber +9????

I thought +7 was the max for all weapons...

edit: I also see he has some +8 stuff in there too... didn't know that was possible!

It's possible. It's also risky. 2 in 3 times, enchanting at 6 or above will cause the weapon to be destroyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth l33t
Jul 6, 2000

Lazerface posted:

Is there a good source of these ascension summaries? I've read through these here http://nethack.wikia.com/wiki/Notable_ascensions but I'm less bothered about mad conduct ascensions. More instructional/entertaining if there are any?
For a "notable" non-ascension game, check this out.

• Locked thread