Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Finally took down the Tower Knight, although the Crescent Falchion made it a total cinch. Now to try and kill that loving spider and continue onward into more soul crushing areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnwayne'smom
Oct 16, 2004
i wish i had an evil twin
Ok, I've been exploring the tunnels in 2-1 for about an hour now and I just want to say that this is some crazy poo poo. This place is neverendingly huge,packed with giant bugbears, and the fact that there's a boss at the end who is going to kill me is just the icing on the cake. Fire levels are always my least favorite :-(

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
You mean 2-2? I got really lucky on 2-2 and found the easy, low-encounter way to the boss the first time in.

Head right at the first intersection from the spider (away from the exploding mine carts). Fight through some miners, find a big hole. Carefully drop down the hole, just a platform at a time. Careful, some of them are hard to see down there. Eventually you will come to some ground. Ignore any passages and keep dropping down the god drat hole. You will eventually end up at the very bottom. Ignore the worms, leave, keep taking rights. If I remember correctly you should be at Flamelurker in no time.

Then once I beat Flamelurker and the Dragon God, I went back and explored the rest of 2-2 backwards. It seemed easier to get around that way.

What sucks is that now on New Game+ Flamelurker has handed my rear end to me about a dozen times so far and I think about the lowest I've been able to get him is about 1/3 health.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

It's bad rear end that this has been announced for America now. I've been considering getting a PS3 for this. There's just something about it's dark atmosphere and character customization that pulls me in.

Still, it's strange watching the regular gaming press that wasn't turned on to this beforehand going ape over it, like this destructoid hands-on impression. Still, I anticipate it with equal measures dread and excitement--one at what lays ahead for me, and the other for my wallet.

Does anyone have more videos of this game in action? And with the 3 month rule for LPs now, does that mean someone could start one for the Asian region version, given that it's all in English anyway?

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
Regarding this video (you need an account to watch, but it's free, google it), I just watched all 35 minutes of some guy playing Demon's Souls. I'd like to know:

- Why are the lizards desirable? He chases after them like they're valuable.
- What's with the ghost buddy of yours? Is this online co-op or is it a summon?
- Why does he end up resorting to dodging most of the enemies, even though he could probably have killed most of them (apart from the ones in the lava area, which were out of reach)?

That's pretty much it, I'm just trying to get a head start before it arrives.

Megalixir fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jun 5, 2009

LunaSky
Sep 10, 2008

Even Diablo has a soft side
Yay! Took out Flamelurker on my own and almost finished 3-1! Flamelurker took forever using the shield spear combo! Any suggestions on farming moonlight stones? Trying to get the moon spear buffed up so things will be easier to poke in the future

Thanks

YamataNoOrochi
Oct 24, 2005

Megalixir posted:

Regarding this video (you need an account to watch, but it's free, google it), I just watched all 35 minutes of some guy playing Demon's Souls. I'd like to know:

- Why are the lizards desirable? He chases after them like they're valuable.
- What's with the ghost buddy of yours? Is this online co-op or is it a summon?
- Why does he end up resorting to dodging most of the enemies, even though he could probably have killed most of them (apart from the ones in the lava area, which were out of reach)?

That's pretty much it, I'm just trying to get a head start before it arrives.

I haven't watched the video, but here goes:

-The lizards are crystal geckos, and they drop large amounts of ore to upgrade your weapons.

-A blue phantom is online co-op. You will also see occasional white phantoms, which only exist for a few seconds, of other people going through the same area as you. You can also summon a red phantom from a bloodstain and see the last 5 seconds or so before someone's death.

-This is really dependent on the player's situation. Most enemies can tear you apart if you give them a chance, so if you aren't comfortable fighting a certain enemy, or the risk of fighting them is greater than any potential reward, it is a good idea to find a way around them.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Lotish posted:

Still, it's strange watching the regular gaming press that wasn't turned on to this beforehand going ape over it, like this destructoid hands-on impression. Still, I anticipate it with equal measures dread and excitement--one at what lays ahead for me, and the other for my wallet.

Demon's Souls is a very odd, quiet sort of fellow. You will hear little whispers about it and become intrigued and try to find him and he will come into your arms and GRAB YOUR loving BALLS AND CUT THEM OFF WITH A FALCHION.

It's... that sort of game.

Re: why dodge?, everything in this game can and WILL kill you at some point. Yeah, even that little squirt from 1-1? Get careless and he will go ballistic on your arse.

It's that sort of game.

Weezy88
Sep 25, 2006
I'm up to 4-2 now and I've been having a great time with my shield/spear knight, but I still cringe when I think of that loving flamelurker. After dying so much from him level's 3 and 4 feel kind of easy. kind of.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Got an email from NCSX. Game's going to ship for me around the middle of June. Can't wait!

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 11, 2009

Corpus Smegma
May 18, 2009

Weezy88 posted:

I'm up to 4-2 now and I've been having a great time with my shield/spear knight, but I still cringe when I think of that loving flamelurker. After dying so much from him level's 3 and 4 feel kind of easy. kind of.

Flamelurker is raping me...what melee weapons did you use to beat it? And also do you have any tips in general for fighting it?

my best melee weapons are Mirdan Hammer+4, Crescent Falcion +1, and a Sharp Winged Spear+2. I can't seem to do much damage at all with my melee attacks, but I don't doubt my overall crappiness as a player has something to do with that. Any tips would be appreciated though, this fight is driving me crazy.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Corpus Smegma posted:

Flamelurker is raping me...what melee weapons did you use to beat it? And also do you have any tips in general for fighting it?

my best melee weapons are Mirdan Hammer+4, Crescent Falcion +1, and a Sharp Winged Spear+2. I can't seem to do much damage at all with my melee attacks, but I don't doubt my overall crappiness as a player has something to do with that. Any tips would be appreciated though, this fight is driving me crazy.

Use the crescent falchion. It should do a good chunk of damage every swing. The reaper at the start of 4-2 drops darkmoonstone ore if you feel like improving it first.

Weezy88
Sep 25, 2006
Yeah, my winged spear wasn't doing poo poo, even with sticky white stuff.

I ended up owning him when I finally farmed some souls and learned soul arrow. Go into the fight with the purple flame shield (you can get it in 1-1 by the dragons nesting near the cliffs), a wand or whatever to cast spells, and like 10 spices to regenerate mana. Block his attacks and run around a lot, when he does that jumping back thing, shoot him with soul arrow.

When his health gets down to I think like 35% he will get a little pissed off and start attacking more but just remember to block and heal when you need to.

If that doesn't work, get to the entrance and if you're not in body form use a stone of ephermal eyes to resurrect and then wait for a blue phantom to help you.

Gulping Constantly
Apr 10, 2005

by Lowtax
So I just beat this tonight and after restarting at the beginning I noticed I have alot of left over souls from the bosses I never found a use for, like Grey Demons Soul and Lead Demons soul. Is it safe to use these or should I just hang on to them?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Gulping Constantly posted:

So I just beat this tonight and after restarting at the beginning I noticed I have alot of left over souls from the bosses I never found a use for, like Grey Demons Soul and Lead Demons soul. Is it safe to use these or should I just hang on to them?

Keep them. Most of them are used for trading with the higher magic vendors or for making special weapons after you beat flamelurker and build up certain base items. Neither of the 2 you listed do anything too useful, so feel free to use them if you need an extra ~1k souls each. One makes a weak spear that's mildly irritating in pvp, the other makes a really big axe that gets outclassed by other big weapons (but it's faster than a lot of them)

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jun 5, 2009

EvilUrchin
Jun 13, 2007

Sigmar's Fist: 5 Star Crash Rating
Should I feel bad that I took down Tower Knight by standing on the battlements in such a way that his ranged attack was completely ineffectual and just plinking at him with 80 or so crossbow bolts?

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
You're only cheating yourself. :c00l:

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
So, someone elsewhere claims that there was a possibility that a member of Team ICO helped with this game, as they're a division of Japan Studio, which is mentioned in Demon's Souls. What is the likelihood of this? I'm wondering if it was an art director or what. It could make sense.

Nuitari
Jun 17, 2005

Shit, Piss, Fuck, Cunt, Cocksucker, Motherfucker and Tits.
I've decided I'm going to try for the Platinum trophy in this, and I believe the only weapon I'm missing is the Keel Smasher. Seems like a pain in the rear end to get. I'm already on NG+ (soul lvl 110-ish I think), and have already cleared out all of world 2. So I'll probably need to do NG++, and follow the wiki for shifting to white offline. As if the game wasn't challenging enough, they make things like world tendency just as hard to manage.

Also after playing so many games lately, and going back to this, I can say without a doubt this is my GOTY so far. Probably my favorite game of the last several years. I still say import it if you can find it and/or afford it. It'll fill the summer void. If you wait until the fall, there will be a lot of other games being released competing for your attention (which you'll probably ignore, because this game rocks so hard).

Nuitari
Jun 17, 2005

Shit, Piss, Fuck, Cunt, Cocksucker, Motherfucker and Tits.

EvilUrchin posted:

Should I feel bad that I took down Tower Knight by standing on the battlements in such a way that his ranged attack was completely ineffectual and just plinking at him with 80 or so crossbow bolts?

I did this on NG+. On my first run through I did it the manly way by slicing his ankles.

Cyro
Mar 2, 2007

As a caveman frozen in a glacier, I face...different challenges.

Corpus Smegma posted:

he's one of the super red eye knights, I waited until I had beaten Phalanx and the Tower Knight and he still gave me trouble. I wouldn't recommend facing him until you have gained some equipment and upgraded yourself. He's just guarding a soul you can pick up and a door you can't open for a while. You don't have to fight him yet. The red eye guys are tough.

I always get him by first clearing the battlement area and spiral staircase on the other far end of the battlements.
Then I lure him all the way to the spiral staircase, run down and watch him fall down and die.
Works everytime on my new characters :)

ssug
Feb 13, 2008
Oh man... I'm blind. This is awesome!

EvilUrchin posted:

This is one of the 2 often discussed ways of taking him down, but you do rob yourself of some of the anger/elation of the close up battle. :)

I took him down with melee, because I didnt really do any ranged stuff early on, but I did go on to cheese Flamelurker by getting him stuck on geometry...

whatever works, but taking the bosses on face to face is really satisfying (and frustrating)

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
How long does the effect last when you apply Turpentine or Sticky White Stuff?

EvilUrchin
Jun 13, 2007

Sigmar's Fist: 5 Star Crash Rating

ssug posted:

This is one of the 2 often discussed ways of taking him down, but you do rob yourself of some of the anger/elation of the close up battle. :)

I took him down with melee, because I didnt really do any ranged stuff early on, but I did go on to cheese Flamelurker by getting him stuck on geometry...

whatever works, but taking the bosses on face to face is really satisfying (and frustrating)

Oh, I had plenty of the anger. I only did that after my first 15 or 20 attempts, and I simply did not want to go through yet another round of goddamn dragon dodging.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Cam gameplay 1 from gametrailers
Cam gameplay 2 from gametrailers

Points for the person who points out something new, visual-wise, in that gameplay.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Jimbot posted:

Cam gameplay 1 from gametrailers
Cam gameplay 2 from gametrailers

Points for the person who points out something new, visual-wise, in that gameplay.

Soul Mist™ comes out when you're struck in Soul form?

Edit: There's music in the stages now? Or is that just an overlay for the video's sake?

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 5, 2009

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

novaSphere posted:

Soul Mist™ comes out when you're struck in Soul form?

Edit: There's music in the stages now? Or is that just an overlay for the video's sake?

I bleed soul mist when I get hit? All of my characters are squishy though.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Cephalocidal posted:

I bleed soul mist when I get hit? All of my characters are squishy though.

Oh I dunno then. I started as a Knight and haven't taken off his suit of armor since the beginning v:shobon:v

The text seems a little clearer, if that's the case.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That's something, but the new little thing is projected on the ground and this wasn't in the other versions of the game!

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Jimbot posted:

That's something, but the new little thing is projected on the ground and this wasn't in the other versions of the game!

I feel like an idiot for missing that. I was looking for it, too. HD quality makes it much more obvious.

ssug
Feb 13, 2008
Oh man... I'm blind. This is awesome!

EvilUrchin posted:

Oh, I had plenty of the anger. I only did that after my first 15 or 20 attempts, and I simply did not want to go through yet another round of goddamn dragon dodging.

Ahh... well I would have done the same then...

I should say that I had already taken out the red dragon before doing the Tower Knight, so getting back to him each time was less annoying.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Jimbot posted:

:v: hurf. Looks good.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Nifty. Here's hoping that whatever enhancements the US version gets come to all other versions of the game. I'd imagine that'll be the case. It'd be weird to have multiple versions running off the same master server.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
In the second video, shouldn't there have been a boulder trap on those stairs?

Edit: Never mind. It was already triggered.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Having driving music like that in the stages would just throw me off. DS is a game about very careful contemplation and measured action. And being hit in the back of the head by a club wielded by a ten foot tall ogre that you somehow didn't hear coming, and falling off a cliff.

edit: it's funny watching someone not doing very well at 1-1 though, that stage has become like Super Mario Brothers 1-1 to me, I've been through it so many times.

magical_ape
Apr 30, 2008

*Do justice to yourself*
Im trying to work out how the hell to upgrade Soulbrand and Demonbrand to Northern regalia, i have the false kings soul, soulbrand and demonbrand, i have looked at the upgrade options at both of the blacksmiths and neither of them have either of the 2 weapons as upgrade worthy, What the hell do i do ?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

magical_ape posted:

Im trying to work out how the hell to upgrade Soulbrand and Demonbrand to Northern regalia, i have the false kings soul, soulbrand and demonbrand, i have looked at the upgrade options at both of the blacksmiths and neither of them have either of the 2 weapons as upgrade worthy, What the hell do i do ?

If you're in New Game+ you can't do the special boss soul weapon upgrades until you beat Flamelurker again.

magical_ape
Apr 30, 2008

*Do justice to yourself*

Tortolia posted:

If you're in New Game+ you can't do the special boss soul weapon upgrades until you beat Flamelurker again.

poo poo i totally forgot i had to take Flamelurkers soul to him, i had just thrown it into the storage, Thanks!

Noldar
Sep 29, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: it's funny watching someone not doing very well at 1-1 though, that stage has become like Super Mario Brothers 1-1 to me, I've been through it so many times.

That's probably me you're watching :(. I haven't quite got out of the rush in and kill everything mentality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gustavus
May 27, 2008

Lock up your sons and daughters.
This game has me swearing and confused. I love it!
I'm going through the tutorial level thinking to myself that the games doesn't seem too hard. I can see it getting challenging later on, but so far it's a piece of cake. Well, here's the big boss. Just watch him for a little bit, try and get an idea of his patterns. Okay, let's go in for an attack and see what happens. He one shots me dead quite quickly.
Alright, "The Nexus" seems like a neat little place to go when you die. Hey blue dude, how do I get outta here? ...I need to do what?! A demon?
After much trial and error and many, many deaths, I make it to some dragons.
Ah, I'm so sly as I trick the one blowing fire at me preventing me from getting to the other one to fly off to the other side of the castle. Creep up on this big lounging bastard, all coyly wagging his tail about listlessly. One minor flick of his tail and I'm dead. Okay, I'm sure I won't go ALL the way back to the beginn... Oh god. Eff this game. EFF IT! *rage quit*
And now I'm going back for more punishment.

• Locked thread