Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RollingBoBo
Aug 25, 2008

living that high life
Something similar to the arctic monkeys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mack
Mar 6, 2005
Completely love every song in Velvet Underground & Nico album, anything that sounds mostly like it?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

RollingBoBo posted:

The Fall took me a really long time to get into, but they're probably the band that most directly inspired Arctic Monkeys.

mack posted:

Completely love every song in Velvet Underground & Nico album, anything that sounds mostly like it?

No.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Stagger_Lee posted:

scarface, outkast, three six mafia, really selected juvenile, david banner. i really love like 90% of t.i.'s and luda's singles, but that might be too clean to be what you're going for.

Already heard Outkast so I have some of theirs already, haven't heard Scarface beyond his Ruff ryder appearances, don't know any Juvenile, David Banner or Three Six Mafia. Any recommendations on albums?

I've had T.I's Paper Trail since it came out but never gave it a listen until this and I'm liking it. I've known about Ludacris for years but since I used to hate rap I always lumped him in with MTV hip hop. What are some good albums by him?

Bean_
Oct 6, 2006

by Ozma

ilikechapstick posted:

So I really like working out to Lamb of God...mainly because of the heavy guitar and not so much the screaming. I could do without that honestly. I like Trivium as well for the same reasons.

Anything out there that has heavy, metal-esque guitar riffs, but a little less screaming? I realize that they probably go hand in hand but I might as well ask. I don't mind a little however.

I'm going to give you some stuff that I relate to what you're asking for; whether or not other people would agree might be a different story. Unfortunately, I think MOST of what you're asking for is going to have some screaming in it. The biggest thing is finding someone who you think does it with a touch of class! Hopefully there's something here you'll like.

First, I'm going to agree with the above poster that you might like Protest the Hero My recommendation would be to listen to Bury the Hatchet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN36cpecnSo (sorry its a GH2 video, but at least its a FC!)

Killswitch Engage
Rose of Sharyn
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBbq9BlxuBI
My Curse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjAytcZkrQw

Disillusion
And the Mirror Cracked
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dREjsCoKt64&feature=related

Devin Townsend Band
Vampira My favorite of the bunch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMLXoobDKWs
Devin Townsend-Ziltoid the Omniscient might also get you pretty good. The whole cd is a story he wrote as a kid, transformed into a VERY good album. Here is one song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlls3vsDi5s&feature=related

Nevermore
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=impRqn44OCA

Soilwork
Natural Born Chaos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TGX2Jwhx2s
Song of the Damned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twmLXr8EjpU&feature=related

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

RollingBoBo posted:

Gang of Four is an obvious predecessor, though significantly more on the punk side of things (chronological order is fine for their albums). I haven't cared for their later work and I'd bet you're already familiar, but Bloc Party's first album, Silent Alarm, should have some appeal as well.

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 6, 2009

Dinkerdoo
Dec 18, 2005

If you go out in the woods today, You'd better not go alone. It's lovely out in the woods today, but safer to stay at home.
Looking for in-your-face Brazilian instrumental funk. Horn-heavy and light on sampled sounds preferred. Similar to the first few tracks on the City of God soundtrack.

Charleston Jew
Jul 31, 2005

oh my sloth!
I really like Cex's album Role Model (here's a sample http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYozCdyT5ro), any recommendations for something similar? I'm not too familiar with electronic music in general, but I know some big names like Aphex Twin, Autechre, Boards of Canada. I guess what I'm looking for is nice sounding, interesting stuff, but not too dancey or crazy/breakcore. IDM-ish stuff.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

RollingBoBo posted:

I'd recommend The Libertines if you haven't already checked them out. they were a big influence on the Arctic Monkeys musically. The lyrics are a bit more wistful and poetic, but still capture that sense of British working class life, albeit with a slightly darker edge.
Also definatly check out Pulp if you haven't already, as Jarvis Cocker is the definitive smouldering Englishman. He's from the same town as the Arctic Monkeys too, so the accents are the same.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
Listening to Death Of Autotune, I realized my library is lacking Jay Z. What's a good album by him? I already have Reasonable Doubt and a handful of his singles.

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

Listening to Death Of Autotune, I realized my library is lacking Jay Z. What's a good album by him? I already have Reasonable Doubt and a handful of his singles.

The Blueprint is the most important one for you to get if you already have Reasonable Doubt but after that get the Black Album and Volume 3.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

Already heard Outkast so I have some of theirs already, haven't heard Scarface beyond his Ruff ryder appearances, don't know any Juvenile, David Banner or Three Six Mafia. Any recommendations on albums?

I've had T.I's Paper Trail since it came out but never gave it a listen until this and I'm liking it. I've known about Ludacris for years but since I used to hate rap I always lumped him in with MTV hip hop. What are some good albums by him?

With Scarface I'd go with Mr. Scarface is Back or The Diary, and check out some of the Geto Boys (his former group). Mostly I don't listen to hip-hop this way, though, and there aren't any records I'd wholeheartedly recommend by the others, and the singles tend to be the best tracks, honestly. But I like "MTV hip hop" for the most part, as long as it isn't, you know, ja rule or LL Cool J as an old dude.

deetron69
Jan 18, 2005

deetron69 fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Aug 1, 2013

thedavid
Oct 29, 2004

Starting on 9/11 this year I've 'season passed' Keith Olbermann on my tivo.

Also, Golden Girls.
I've been tasked with providing the music for my 18 year old sister in law's graduation party. Aside from cliche lists like this that I found on the internet:

quote:

Alice Cooper-- School's Out
Amy Grant-- I Will Remember You
The Bangles-- Hazy Shade of Winter
The Beach Boys-- Graduation Day
The Beatles-- In My Life
The Beatles-- With a Little Help from My Friends
Bob Dylan-- The Times They are A-Changin'
Billy Joel-- Moving Out
Billy Joel-- This is the Time
Bo Bice-- Remember Me
Boys II Men-- It's Hard to Say Goodbye to Yesterday
Carrie Underwood-- Whenever You Remember
Chris Isaak-- Graduation Day
Christina Aguilera-- These are Special Times
Crosby Stills and Nash-- Wasted on the Way
Diana Ross-- I'm Coming Out
Dido-- Here With Me
Eve 6-- Here's to the Night
Faith Hill-- There You'll Be
Hoobastank-- Remember Me
Indigo Girls-- Closer to Fine
Josh Groban-- You Raise Me Up
Kanye West-- Graduation Day
Kelly Clarkson-- Breakaway
Lee Ann Wolmak-- I Hope You Dance
Lenny Kravitz-- Again
Madonna-- This Used to be My Playground
Matchbox 20-- Closing Time
Michael Tolcher-- Kings in Castles
Paula Cole-- I Don't Want to Wait
Pink Floyd-- Another Brick in the Wall
Porter Wagoner- Graduation Day
Queen-- We are the Champions
R. Kelly-- I Believe I Can Fly
Rascal Flatts- My Wish
REM-- It's the End of the World as We Know It (and I Feel Fine)
Sarah McLachlan-- I Will Not Forget You
Sarah McLachlan-- I Will Remember You
Simon and Garfunkel-- Bridge Over Troubled Water
Simon and Garfunkel-- Hazy Shade of Winter
Simple Minds-- Don't You Forget About Me
Smashing Pumpkins-- Today
Steve Miller Band-- Fly Like an Eagle
Time-- The Alan Parsons Project
Time After Time-- Cyndi Lauper
Vitamin C-- Graduation (Friends Forever)

... I'm having problems. There's going to be a gaggle of 18 year old girls, who listen to what 18 year old girls listen to. Problem is, aside from 'general pop' I don't really have a clue. Any ideas for an uptempo party mix that won't be hyper offensive to my mother in law? Why does this make me feel so old?

Difficulty multiplier - they generally seem to like radio-pop and mtv type stuff, not your normal NMD fare

thedavid fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 8, 2009

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

Oz Fox posted:

I've been on a bit of a britpop kick recently, specifically the early Blur/Oasis albums. What have ya got?

I'll keep it short and sweet: Suede, Kula Shaker and of course, Pulp.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

thedavid posted:

I've been tasked with providing the music for my 18 year old sister in law's graduation party. Aside from cliche lists like this that I found on the internet:

... I'm having problems. There's going to be a gaggle of 18 year old girls, who listen to what 18 year old girls listen to. Problem is, aside from 'general pop' I don't really have a clue. Any ideas for an uptempo party mix that won't be hyper offensive to my mother in law? Why does this make me feel so old?

Difficulty multiplier - they generally seem to like radio-pop and mtv type stuff, not your normal NMD fare
I can't give too much help on this one but Lady Gaga's singles are probably good picks -- check out Just Dance, Poker Face and LoveGame.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
Gaga depends on how much attention your mother-in-law pays. Just Dance is mostly about drinking until you don't know where you or any of your stuff are, and the other two singles have prominent references to rough sex. But then again these seem to be like the most popular songs in the country, so maybe I'm just old fashioned.

Keeping it upbeat and as inoffensive, lyrically and/or aesthetically as possible

Black Eyed Peas - Boom Boom Pow (You'd need the radio edit, few swears)
Beyonce - Single Ladies, Irreplaceable
Sean Kingston - Fire Burning, Beautiful Girls
Soulja Boy Tell 'Em - Kiss Me Through the Phone
Kelly Clarkson - My Life Would Suck Without You is the current one, but almost all of her singles are pretty great, although I guess some came out when they were 11.
Heartless, either Kanye or Kris Allen from American Idol's cover for extra teen girl points
Kid Cudi - Day & Nite (talks about a stoner)
rihanna - disturbia
m.i.a - paper planes (get high like planes)
the ting tings - that's not my name

Don't want to just spam with lists, and most of these are just off the current Hot 100. Maybe go through some MTV video playlists on their site for information?

and you might check out ilxor.com or like the yearly pazz and jop polls if you're interested in reading stuff from people who take chart hit pop music seriously

peekaboo gangster
Sep 12, 2003

Dinkerdoo posted:

Looking for in-your-face Brazilian instrumental funk. Horn-heavy and light on sampled sounds preferred. Similar to the first few tracks on the City of God soundtrack.

Check out Jorge Ben's Africa Brasil, though it's not all instrumental, it is pretty much one of the founding fathers of Brazilian funk. Keep an ear out for the song Taj Mahal, which Rod Stewart lifted sections from to make If You Think I'm Sexy (Taj Mahal is better).

Dinkerdoo
Dec 18, 2005

If you go out in the woods today, You'd better not go alone. It's lovely out in the woods today, but safer to stay at home.

peekaboo gangster posted:

Check out Jorge Ben's Africa Brasil, though it's not all instrumental, it is pretty much one of the founding fathers of Brazilian funk. Keep an ear out for the song Taj Mahal, which Rod Stewart lifted sections from to make If You Think I'm Sexy (Taj Mahal is better).

Thanks for the recommendation! Ordered a copy of Africa Brasil and downloaded Força Bruta. I find the title of the second album ironic, considering how wonderfully mellow it is.

Scruffy the janitor
Dec 31, 2007

A greater tragedy my eyes have never beheld

FateFree posted:

I was hoping someone could recommend me some bands for a specific kind of music. I'll do my best to break it down and describe it to you. I'm a big fan of songs with video game feels to them, specifically the use of the keyboard.

I would suggest Monty Are I- Castle Bound
I won't say that it's exactly what you want, but it is about Zelda

no youre a liberal
Mar 28, 2009

our future
k

no youre a liberal fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 8, 2015

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

This might be bizarrely specific, but which version of Holst: The Planets should I get?

I can go for the London Symphony, the Berlin Philharmonic, the Royal Philharmonic, and so forth.

Is there a clear superior that I should spring for, or do they sound the same, in which case I'll just go for the cheapest?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Stagger_Lee posted:

Gaga depends on how much attention your mother-in-law pays. Just Dance is mostly about drinking until you don't know where you or any of your stuff are, and the other two singles have prominent references to rough sex. But then again these seem to be like the most popular songs in the country, so maybe I'm just old fashioned.

Keeping it upbeat and as inoffensive, lyrically and/or aesthetically as possible

Black Eyed Peas - Boom Boom Pow (You'd need the radio edit, few swears)
Beyonce - Single Ladies, Irreplaceable
Sean Kingston - Fire Burning, Beautiful Girls
Soulja Boy Tell 'Em - Kiss Me Through the Phone
Kelly Clarkson - My Life Would Suck Without You is the current one, but almost all of her singles are pretty great, although I guess some came out when they were 11.
Heartless, either Kanye or Kris Allen from American Idol's cover for extra teen girl points
Kid Cudi - Day & Nite (talks about a stoner)
rihanna - disturbia
m.i.a - paper planes (get high like planes)
the ting tings - that's not my name

Don't want to just spam with lists, and most of these are just off the current Hot 100. Maybe go through some MTV video playlists on their site for information?

and you might check out ilxor.com or like the yearly pazz and jop polls if you're interested in reading stuff from people who take chart hit pop music seriously

If you want to take a risk, I imagine they'd enjoy Girl Talk, but be warned, quite a bit of swearing and such. But two CDs worth of excellent dance music.

Also, look at the BBC charts. That's generally more danceable music.

thedavid
Oct 29, 2004

Starting on 9/11 this year I've 'season passed' Keith Olbermann on my tivo.

Also, Golden Girls.

guppy posted:

I can't give too much help on this one but Lady Gaga's singles are probably good picks -- check out Just Dance, Poker Face and LoveGame.

Sounds good, I'll add these to the stuff to get.

Stagger_Lee posted:

Thanks for these, I'll check that site and the listed tracks for more. I think I'll run through billboard and mtv, never heard of ilxor and such but I'll look into it.

Yoshifan823 posted:

If you want to take a risk, I imagine they'd enjoy Girl Talk, but be warned, quite a bit of swearing and such. But two CDs worth of excellent dance music.

Also, look at the BBC charts. That's generally more danceable music.

I'll look at BBC, but ... I dunno how well girl talk would go over. I do have some 'less offensive' mashup stuff, but it incorporates stuff from a lot of different time periods and I dunno how well that will go over. From what I do know of teen girls, they have quite the flighty attention spans.

Boiled_Dove
May 10, 2009

Charleston Jew posted:

I really like Cex's album Role Model (here's a sample http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYozCdyT5ro), any recommendations for something similar? I'm not too familiar with electronic music in general, but I know some big names like Aphex Twin, Autechre, Boards of Canada. I guess what I'm looking for is nice sounding, interesting stuff, but not too dancey or crazy/breakcore. IDM-ish stuff.

Just some things I like, although I'm not an authority on the subject..

Jega
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW9I635ti6Q
AFX (okay, it's still Aphex Twin albeit under a different name)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3yHbf7XEXU
µ-Ziq
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2_cz26IQGs
Luke Vibert
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ_6753RkG4
Modeselektor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0vpWsNqNpE
Squarepusher
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hB2-L9mJVE

DaveSpillings
Jul 31, 2007

"I'll just get a glass of orange juice." "no no no NO NO!!!"
I've been blasting the hell out of the new Agoraphobic Nosebleed album since the day it came out. It got me wondering what other thrash/grind/whatever core bands are out there that I may have missed, utilizing the same sort of catchy song structures and super clear, ridiculously pissed vocals (besides Slayer). I do listen to a lot of grind-y type stuff but I tend to lose interest in bands with the "death growl" type of singers. Basically I'm in love with Richard Johnson's voice. Anything that matches that level of pissed-off-ed-ness will suffice.

Halfsharkalligator
Dec 11, 2007

come on feet, cruise for me
come on feet, come on run
Not sure if this is the right thread but does anyone know a good site where you can download classical music that has entered the public domain?

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.
Here's an interesting challenge:

Let's assume for the sake of argument that I had a total nervous breakdown in 1998, abandoned my career as a composer and essentially walled myself off from music. No concerts, no radio, no active search for new music. Imagine living in a cave.

So, 10 years later, if I try to have a conversation with anyone about music, every influence or band I cite is literally ancient. If I give a list of the stuff I used to like, can we find anything vaguely modern that I might enjoy, so I can actually talk to modern human beings and not sound like a cave-dwelling relic? Here's a list:

Most influential on my taste:

Primus
Nine Inch Nails
Mr. Bungle
Squarepusher
Mr. Oizo
Lambert, Hendricks, and Ross
Ween
Beck
Alice in Chains
Soundgarden

Stuff I've been listening to recently:
Amon Amarth
Cannibal Corpse
Boys Noise
Tenacious D
Lady Sovereign

And of course, I've left out the hundreds of western art music and jazz influences, since my goal is more to be able to be conversant with some people more recent than the mid 90s. I know it's a mess, but maybe someone will see some sort of common thread or order in it. Thanks in advance for any suggestions at all.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

To be honest I'm not a fan of most of those bands, but you might find what you're looking for on Mike Patton's Ipecac label.

edit: You'd probably like the Melvins. They've been around longer than the bands you mentioned, but they're still touring and releasing albums. In fact their last two were on Ipecac.

Pomplamoose fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 11, 2009

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Cock Inspector, if you like Primus, Mr. Bungle, and Ween, try Man Man and Steroid Maximus. And if you like Tenacious D for the comedy mixed with music, give The Lonely Island a shot. I think they are much funnier than the D, with catchier songs.

Darth Brookz
May 20, 2006
For the love of god if you love primus listen to as much of THE RESIDENTS as you can. I was a huge primus fan until I heard the residents and was like, gently caress.. how'd I miss out on these guys.

primus covered this song by residents

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krmowThBYUk = residents!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsOiR9sKRB0 = primus

Darth Brookz fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 11, 2009

Nilbog Resident
Dec 23, 2005

X Y v ^
someone school me on surf rock / surfer rock / surf noise / surf genres.

i've been listening to alot of the vandelles, boardwalkers, and the barracudas lately

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Nilbog Resident posted:

i've been listening to alot of the vandelles, boardwalkers, and the barracudas lately
plug: I'm playing a 2 hour surf show at Noon CST today, https://www.wtulneworleans.com and you can check out my playlists here

and if you miss that, please report back once you have listened to:

Big names: Dick Dale, Link Wray, Ventures (go straight to their album Ventures in Space), The Shadows, The Trashmen
good old bands: The Sentinals, The Astronauts, Al Casey, Jerry Cole, The Frantics, Sandy Nelson, The New Dimensions, The Original Surfaris
good noisy new poo poo: Apemen, Giant Leeches, Hawaii Samurai, Robert Johnson & The Punchdrunks, Rat Holic, The Windows, Switch Trout, Mad 3,
weird poo poo: Stereophonic Space Sound Unlimited, The Messer Chups, Tornados, Fifty Foot Combo, Man... or Astroman?, The Hypnomen
Good plain old surf: The Barbwires (seriously, if you could buy one surf album I'd listen to Searider), The Ramblin' Ambassadors, The Dynotones, Bomboras, Tremolo Beer Gut, Los Straitjackets, Satan's Pilgrims, The Surfites, Mighty Gordinis, The Langhorns, Krontjong Devils, El Ray, The Bambi Molesters
Spaghetti sound: The Five Outsiders, Moe Greene Specials, The Madeira (more middle eastern I guess), The Hellbenders

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
All great choices, but I'd add the Volcanos, a '90s surf band who put out two amazing albums on Estrus Records, Surf Quake and Finish Line Fever. They were fan-loving-tastic, but the albums are out of print and tend to be pricy and rare, and there is almost no information about the band online.

Darth Brookz
May 20, 2006

Nilbog Resident posted:

New out this year that I have found are:

Sir Richard Bishop "Freak of Araby" - psychedelic middle-eastern inspired surf rock. It's amazing.

and

Ducktails - "s/t" - Psychedelic/noisy/drone surf rock. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

agro_cragg
Dec 9, 2006
Time travel to the edge of the Moon!
I picked up Kool and the Gang's The Wild and the Peaceful a couple of months ago and I love it. I got to get some more funk! What's the funkiest?

AltoidsAddict
Sep 13, 2007

when they're yours you'll love them
After being introduced to "80s on the Rag" last night at the pub, I hunger for some good ragtime music that I can get from iTunes. Is there even such a thing as contemporary ragtime? I'd love artists that depart from the usual Scott Joplin stuff and do something different.

I know Something Awful has a bustling ragtime enthusiast community, so let's hear it!

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

AltoidsAddict posted:

After being introduced to "80s on the Rag" last night at the pub, I hunger for some good ragtime music that I can get from iTunes. Is there even such a thing as contemporary ragtime? I'd love artists that depart from the usual Scott Joplin stuff and do something different.

I know Something Awful has a bustling ragtime enthusiast community, so let's hear it!

If you're looking for something beyond the Scott Joplin piano stuff, you might like Piedmont Blues which is heavily influenced by ragtime but primarily uses the guitar. The albums Ragtime Guitar's Foremost Fingerpicker Blind Blake and The Best of Blind Willie McTell (Yazoo records) are both good starting points.

Adrenochrome
Nov 22, 2007

by mons all madden
Where can I find songs with lot's of organs? I've been getting into Beth Gibbons and the likes of Camera Obscura and Beach House. I'm open to anything as long as there's some kind of organ playing in the background. I just love that in your face kind of organ.

Songs like these
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNQ97P0rQk8 Beach House - Heart of Chambers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC9494AwRTc Beth Gibbons - Tom The Model

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Consultant
Apr 5, 2006

I'm tops and you're horseplops
I'm looking for music somewhat similar to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pqyEQhkzUw

kinda chilled out jazzy poo poo. supposedly bark psychosis are the founders of post rock but this sounds more like lounge or downtempo to me.