Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AltoidsAddict
Sep 13, 2007

when they're yours you'll love them

Way Past Cool! posted:

If you're looking for something beyond the Scott Joplin piano stuff, you might like Piedmont Blues which is heavily influenced by ragtime but primarily uses the guitar. The albums Ragtime Guitar's Foremost Fingerpicker Blind Blake and The Best of Blind Willie McTell (Yazoo records) are both good starting points.

This has led me to Michael Bloomfield, Sammy Vomacka, and Takashi Hamada, for which I thank you. And Blind Blake is very good! I like his rendition of "In the Jailhouse Now."

Any good piano bluesy ragtime along the same vein you can rec? I don't dislike Joplin, exactly, it's more wanting to avoid piano ragtime that sounds like it's coming from a player piano. (Which isn't Joplin's fault, to be fair, it's more how it's interpreted these days by hammy players.) "80's on the Rag" deliberately played that caricature up, but I'm interested in a "peppy blues" feel in the piano - or like a really awesome juke joint. Any further recs along those lines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President
Can anyone recommend any albums with a Rob Dougan, E.S Posthumus vibe? Mostly looking for orchestral with a dab of electronic.

aoxomoxoa
Feb 10, 2005
I'm looking for songs/albums similar to Martina Topley-Bird's short intro to the album Quixotic. You can hear it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DTeEW8akTw
Basically, something with soulful, bluesy vocals, and a low-key instrumental section. Jazz is fine too.

Chexmix
Dec 10, 2006

Looks like you'll have to go handle this yourself.

Seaniqua posted:

For the last couple months I've been listening to Steve Reich's Music for 18 Musicians when I study - I think it's really beautiful but repetitive enough that I sort of zone it out if I'm doing something else - which makes it great for homework.

Any suggestions? I've found a few things by Philip Glass that work pretty well, but there's also a lot of stuff by Glass that doesn't work at all for this.

Couple pages ago, but you might want to try out Emeralds. Not quite the same deal, but they're good for being pretty and repetitive in my opinion. Their recent 7", Fresh Air, has two really gorgeous tracks and manages to be a nice summation of the Emeralds feel without instantly tossing you in the deep end with their regular 10+ minute fare. I'd say that one, at the least, is worth checking out, and if it's up your alley then look for Solar Bridge.

Anyway:
I've been on a huge Lupe Fiasco kick lately, but I only really have his albums. Are his mixtapes any good? Which of them should I be checking out first?

Darth Brookz
May 20, 2006

Chexmix posted:

Couple pages ago, but you might want to try out Emeralds. Not quite the same deal, but they're good for being pretty and repetitive in my opinion. Their recent 7", Fresh Air, has two really gorgeous tracks and manages to be a nice summation of the Emeralds feel without instantly tossing you in the deep end with their regular 10+ minute fare. I'd say that one, at the least, is worth checking out, and if it's up your alley then look for Solar Bridge.

also try out some of the solo stuff from Mark McGuire of emeralds. But before that i'd also recommending trying to find some Ash Ra Tempel, Tangerine Dream, Kluster.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

The Consultant posted:

I'm looking for music somewhat similar to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pqyEQhkzUw

kinda chilled out jazzy poo poo. supposedly bark psychosis are the founders of post rock but this sounds more like lounge or downtempo to me.

Bark Psychosis... one of my favorite bands. Unfortunately I don't think there's much that can really compare to them to be honest. Many people draw a connection between them and the later Talk Talk records, and there's certainly a valid comparison there, though even then I think both of those bands were very much doing their own thing in a lot of ways. Anyway, you may want to check out I'm Not a Gun. They're not as moody as Bark Psychosis but they do the whole instrumental rock with electronic/light jazz vibes thing very, very well. I like all of their albums, but I'd start with We Think As Instruments.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Remembering yesteryear, I did a search for some music from The Avalanches group. If you don't remember them, look up Since I Left You or Frontier Psychiatrist for some examples. Anyway, realizing I like this kind of stuff, I have two questions. The first being, are there any other bands like this? And secondly, did these guys just vanish off the face of the earth or what?

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Seaniqua posted:

For the last couple months I've been listening to Steve Reich's Music for 18 Musicians when I study - I think it's really beautiful but repetitive enough that I sort of zone it out if I'm doing something else - which makes it great for homework.

Any suggestions? I've found a few things by Philip Glass that work pretty well, but there's also a lot of stuff by Glass that doesn't work at all for this.
You can't go wrong with Terry Riley. Check out "In C", "A Rainbow in Curved Air", and "Salome Dances for Peace". You may also like some of György Ligeti's middle period works, particularly "Clocks and Clouds" and "Self-portrait with Reich and Riley."

Also, can anyone recommend artists similar to Foetus/Steroid Maximus? The ones Last.fm suggests are mostly industrial, but I'm looking for something more pop-ish, sample-heavy, and with a sense of humor.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Spermando posted:

Also, can anyone recommend artists similar to Foetus/Steroid Maximus? The ones Last.fm suggests are mostly industrial, but I'm looking for something more pop-ish, sample-heavy, and with a sense of humor.

Foetus isn't very "pop-ish"? Whats your thoughts on the Young Gods albums L'eau Rouge and T.V. Sky?

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Green Puddin posted:

Remembering yesteryear, I did a search for some music from The Avalanches group. If you don't remember them, look up Since I Left You or Frontier Psychiatrist for some examples. Anyway, realizing I like this kind of stuff, I have two questions. The first being, are there any other bands like this? And secondly, did these guys just vanish off the face of the earth or what?

They haven't released anything after that album, my guess would be that it was just a pet project by a couple of sound engineers or something. However, Wikipedia suggests that they've got a new album that's coming out soon that they're waiting for samples to clear on for, so cross your fingers for that I guess.

The only artist I can think of off hand who's really similar both in mood and production technique is Luke Vibert / Wagon Christ. If the thing you like about The Avalanches is the way everything is made from sampling, you might want to try Kid Koala, maybe even The Evolution Control Committee and Tape-Beatles. But if you're just looking for groovy lounge music then try Thievery Corporation, The Herbaliser or RJD2.

Darth Brookz
May 20, 2006

Cyne posted:

Bark Psychosis... one of my favorite bands. Unfortunately I don't think there's much that can really compare to them to be honest. Many people draw a connection between them and the later Talk Talk records, and there's certainly a valid comparison there, though even then I think both of those bands were very much doing their own thing in a lot of ways. Anyway, you may want to check out I'm Not a Gun. They're not as moody as Bark Psychosis but they do the whole instrumental rock with electronic/light jazz vibes thing very, very well. I like all of their albums, but I'd start with We Think As Instruments.

Have you guys heard of Guillemots? Admittedly not my cup of tea usually, but I think they sound a lot like what you guys are looking for!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXQytTxf8bY

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

etard knievel posted:

They haven't released anything after that album, my guess would be that it was just a pet project by a couple of sound engineers or something. However, Wikipedia suggests that they've got a new album that's coming out soon that they're waiting for samples to clear on for, so cross your fingers for that I guess.

The only artist I can think of off hand who's really similar both in mood and production technique is Luke Vibert / Wagon Christ. If the thing you like about The Avalanches is the way everything is made from sampling, you might want to try Kid Koala, maybe even The Evolution Control Committee and Tape-Beatles. But if you're just looking for groovy lounge music then try Thievery Corporation, The Herbaliser or RJD2.

Think I'll just try all those out. Thanks man!

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
What are some good hip hop diss/fued tracks? Something like Ja Rule's Loose Change, and 50 Cents and Eminem's response, or the one sided Eminem vs Benzino tracks.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Technetium posted:

Foetus isn't very "pop-ish"?
"Flow" and "Love" are more accessible than the average industrial music. It's not exactly pop, but it isn't too far off.

quote:

Whats your thoughts on the Young Gods albums L'eau Rouge and T.V. Sky?
It doesn't sound bad, but it's not quite what I'm looking for.

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

What are some good hip hop diss/fued tracks? Something like Ja Rule's Loose Change, and 50 Cents and Eminem's response, or the one sided Eminem vs Benzino tracks.

Ice Cube - 'No Vaseline', NWA got hosed on this one. 'Second Round K.O.' is Canibus goin after LL. Some people mention 'Hit Em Up' by 2Pac but personally I think its whack, check it out anyway.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
Jadakiss "Checkmate" if you want more people making fun of 50, Jay-Z's "The Takeover" makes a lot of room for itself. cam'ron's "You Gotta Love it" is kind of sloppy and it's not one his best albums, but stuff like "plus we tote handles at your open-toed sandals" will probably always make me laugh.

oh and d.m.x's "where da hood at" if you're ok with homophobia being hilarious

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

A couple classic examples would be the tracks that came out of the Jay-Z/Nas beef. If you've ever heard someone say that a rapper was Ethered, this is where that came from. Almost everyone agrees that Nas won the beef with his track "Ether." Check out Jay's "Takeover" too though which addresses Nas and Prodigy from Mobb Deep.

Phonics
Apr 6, 2009

by XyloJW

Cyne posted:

A couple classic examples would be the tracks that came out of the Jay-Z/Nas beef. If you've ever heard someone say that a rapper was Ethered, this is where that came from. Almost everyone agrees that Nas won the beef with his track "Ether." Check out Jay's "Takeover" too though which addresses Nas and Prodigy from Mobb Deep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryMx5MSyfRE

Nas - Destroy & Rebuild

Cormega and Mobb Deep diss, great song too.

And for a small and strange request: I loved the music in Simcity 4, the jazzy stuff, anything like that?

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Any suggestions for some 'Blues & Boogie Rock'? As it's listed by Rhapsody. I'm digging J.J. Cale and Moe. and Widespread Panic. Past that the pickings are a bit slim on the service.

JJ Cale example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ93dW7iWhY

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Spermando posted:

I love Steroid Maximus and J.G. Thirlwell's Venture Bros. soundtrack, so I'll recommend Secret Society, a new "steampunk" big band led by composer Darcy James Argue. More straight-ahead jazz than Thirlwell's stuff, it doesn't have his sense of irony and humor, but it still evokes that soundtrack feeling, and might appeal to you just the same.
https://www.newamsterdamrecords.com/#Album/Infernal_Machines
http://secretsociety.typepad.com/darcy_james_argues_secret/secret-society-live-audio.html

Chairman Moo
Apr 10, 2006
I'm looking for something similar to the Sneaker Pimps post Becoming X. Splinter is one of my favorite albums and I have not been able to find anything that sounds like it... Any suggestions?

Darth Brookz
May 20, 2006

A Man Whore posted:

Any suggestions for some 'Blues & Boogie Rock'? As it's listed by Rhapsody. I'm digging J.J. Cale and Moe. and Widespread Panic. Past that the pickings are a bit slim on the service.

JJ Cale example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ93dW7iWhY

Old school, but try some Canned Heat.

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
Does anyone know any music that's similar to the first Noisettes album? I didn't really like the second album, a bit too much pop/dance compared to the first album.

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Aussie band the "Cat Empire" is one of my favorites. Anyone have any recommendations that are similar, in terms of rocking really hard but utilizing some of the same latin-y elements that they do?

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Chairman Moo posted:

I'm looking for something similar to the Sneaker Pimps post Becoming X. Splinter is one of my favorite albums and I have not been able to find anything that sounds like it... Any suggestions?

Morcheeba, Portishead, Thievery Corporation, Massive Attack, Tricky

*edit: wait, I'm getting splinter and becoming x mixed up. actually I don't know, I'll have to listen to it again when I get home and edit this post, sorry

Phonics
Apr 6, 2009

by XyloJW
I'm looking something similar to Slick Rick.

Great storytelling is what I'm looking for.

conrack
Oct 4, 2006

Phonics posted:

I'm looking something similar to Slick Rick.

Great storytelling is what I'm looking for.

I don't think anyone told as many stories as da Rula, but Andre 3000/Outkast and Cee-Lo/Goodie Mob have always reminded me of him. Also, check out "Rewind" by Nas for a story in reverse and "Shoot 'em Up" for dark goodness. Now that I think of it, Nas tells the hell out of stories.

I've never been a fan of metal, but I started watching Metalocalypse lately and have been playing the Dethklok album nonstop since I got it. I don't know what type of metal that is, but its amazing and I need some more of it. Point me in the right direction!

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

conrack posted:

I've never been a fan of metal, but I started watching Metalocalypse lately and have been playing the Dethklok album nonstop since I got it. I don't know what type of metal that is, but its amazing and I need some more of it. Point me in the right direction!

It's sort of a generic mishmash of genres with pseudo-death metal vocals. A lot of people who are into Dethklok are also into the melodic death metal band Amon Amarth. Their best album is With Oden On Our Side. Much of the material in the "melodic death metal" scenes in Gothenburg, Sweden and Finland could appeal to you.

And just as a shot in the dark, try listening to Overkill - Feel The Fire and see what you think.

Chairman Moo
Apr 10, 2006

etard knievel posted:

Morcheeba, Portishead, Thievery Corporation, Massive Attack, Tricky

*edit: wait, I'm getting splinter and becoming x mixed up. actually I don't know, I'll have to listen to it again when I get home and edit this post, sorry

Thanks. I checked out Morcheeba and I really like it. The others are what friends have pointed to when I asked this, and they're good but aren't quite it... I think what I'm looking for is the mix of acoustic guitar and electronic sounds.

Nilbog Resident
Dec 23, 2005

X Y v ^
i'm a little late, but thanks and high fives to you dudes who gave me the massive amount of surf to go check out.

i discovered these finnish dudes, laika and the cosmonauts, who do a pretty drat decent take on surf for a bunch of scandinavians. jamming their '96 album zero gravity real hard these past few days. good poo poo.

i think i'm becoming addicted, at this point.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.
You guys were so awesome helping me find the good techno/chill/ambient music, I figured I'd stop back in for something completely different this time.

I'm looking for something similar to "Within Temptation", "Krypteria" and "Lacuna Coil". Basically, good Goth Rock, I guess? Bonus if the singer's a chick. Something about the mesh of awesome hard rock instrumentals and a female's voice just appeals to me.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Jadz posted:

You guys were so awesome helping me find the good techno/chill/ambient music, I figured I'd stop back in for something completely different this time.

I'm looking for something similar to "Within Temptation", "Krypteria" and "Lacuna Coil". Basically, good Goth Rock, I guess? Bonus if the singer's a chick. Something about the mesh of awesome hard rock instrumentals and a female's voice just appeals to me.
None of these bands have anything to do with goth rock, which is a genre characterized by Sisters of Mercy, Bauhaus, Fields of the Nephilim, The Cure, etc. The genre you're looking for is one of two genres confusingly named "gothic metal," and this one has zilch to do with goth rock. It's downtempo symphonic metal with tits, but fear not, I don't intend to make this entire post a bitchfest about an awful genre name.

Anyway, check out After Forever (beware, some harsh male vocals if those aren't your thing, but the band is fantastic), Epica, Edenbridge, Tristania, early Theatre of Tragedy (and Liv Kristine's new act, Leaves' Eyes) and early The Gathering. You'd probably like Therion's Vovin a lot too (awesome symphonic metal influenced by actual gothic rock music), and maybe Dol Ammad and Dol Theeta's albums if you don't mind music full of gay Nintendo sounds that resemble a Namco RPG soundtrack.

In fact, just check out the Wikipedia article on gothic metal. It was abysmal last I checked, but it looks like someone fleshed it out into one of the better music-related Wikipedia articles I've read.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 16, 2009

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.

Misogynist posted:

:eng101:

Thanks for the edumacation. I'll make sure I'm not mixing them up in the future ;) And thanks for the recommendations, I'll have a listen at them.

EDIT: Wow, some of that is pretty good, but a lot of it (especially Vovin) is extremely operatic, which isn't quite what I'm after. I guess I was a little vague, since the bands I cited as examples have some of that stuff themselves.

Specific examples would be songs like "The Howling" and "What Have You Done?" by Within Temptation, "All Systems Go" and "Somebody Save Me" by Krypteria, "Spellbound" and "The Maze" by Lacuna Coil, "Bring Me to Life" and "Going Under" and "Sweet Sacrifice" by Evanescence (yeah I know, most people hate them). While I don't think this quite falls into the same category, I also like "I'm So Sick" by Flyleaf.

I hope that helps narrow down my tastes a little more. Thanks :)

Jadz fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 16, 2009

Synthetic Eddie
Oct 24, 2008
I'm looking for something similar to Silverstein, Bayside, Fightstar and Earshot. A good hardcore band.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
I'm making a playlist, and so far I have:
Beautiful Drug - Thievery Corporation <-- Epitome of the style I'm looking for
Talk Show Host - Radiohead
Six Underground - Sneaker Pimps
The Fuel - Sneaker Pimps

Basically, I'm looking for stuff that's sexy, downtempo, probably kind of triphoppy - stuff to shoot heroin and have sex to. Pandora has mostly been giving me meh stuff, any recommendations?

chadxor
Jun 28, 2008
I have a few. Sorry if it's a repeat.

Looking for more like this:

Early Stephen Malkmus solo albums (like the self titled one)
Earlier Wilco -- Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and before

You know, the kinda fun, sing a long indieish stuff. I love the rest of the work (Pavement is one of my favorite bands) of both of 'em, but I'm looking for more light-hearded, sing-along, but still distortion-heavy rock. If that makes any sense.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

chadxor posted:

I have a few. Sorry if it's a repeat.

Looking for more like this:

Early Stephen Malkmus solo albums (like the self titled one)
Earlier Wilco -- Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and before

You know, the kinda fun, sing a long indieish stuff. I love the rest of the work (Pavement is one of my favorite bands) of both of 'em, but I'm looking for more light-hearded, sing-along, but still distortion-heavy rock. If that makes any sense.

Built to Spill's There's Nothing Wrong with Love comes to mind. Some of the rest of their work, too, but I'd start there based on what you're describing. Maybe some Guided by Voices.

chadxor
Jun 28, 2008

A Violence Gang posted:

Built to Spill's There's Nothing Wrong with Love comes to mind. Some of the rest of their work, too, but I'd start there based on what you're describing. Maybe some Guided by Voices.

Love Built to Spill, so that was a good suggestion. Saw them live a few years ago. They had this badass slideshow behind them while they were playing with art made by the lead singer. Pretty unforgettable show.

I'll check out Guided by Voices soon.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

chadxor posted:

Love Built to Spill, so that was a good suggestion. Saw them live a few years ago. They had this badass slideshow behind them while they were playing with art made by the lead singer. Pretty unforgettable show.

I'll check out Guided by Voices soon.

Cool. Alien Lanes and Bee Thousand are the standard starting points, and they're both chock full of really short songs. You'll probably find a good portion of them pretty forgettable and half-baked but I think the others are perfect examples of what you're looking for. If the sheer number of tracks is overwhelming at first, singling out a few songs like "I Am a Scientist", "Smothered in Hugs", "Watch Me Jumpstart", "As We Go Up, We Go Down" might make it easier to attach to.

Lo-fi shouldn't be a problem if you're into Pavement, but it is really lo-fi, and some of their later stuff like Mag Earwhig! is the same kind of songwriting with a lot more polish on the production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chadxor
Jun 28, 2008
Speaking of lo-fi, I really enjoy Dr. Dog. And Lee Scratch Perry's lo-fi stuff, but that's an entirely different beast.