Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

That is better than most of the student work I have seen at my school. Hilarious. Thanks for starting my day with a smile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ErIog posted:

The best part is that it feels more professional than lots of other animation reels I've seen.

Yeah, the skin shader is pretty nice and they've actually put some effort into the facial expressions, the little guy has some character, which a lot of student projects tend to lack.

The story lost me a bit though, needed a happy ending :)

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Just received word that I passed my 3d studio max ACI test. Now I am certified by Autodesk to teach both Maya and Max fundamentals.

:cheers:

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

mashed_penguin posted:

I can not unsee that facial expression...

It reminds me of one of the fist modeling projects I had to do at VFS a few years back. It was modeling a unicorn. One guy in my class decided that rather than a traditional horn he would put a huge cock on his unicorn's head. I'll have to try and see if I have images floating around somewhere.

Hey, speaking of VFS, I was considering attending there. Any suggestions/tips?

If you have AIM I have some dumb questions to ask ya (I'm on as ceebee3d)

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you

EoinCannon posted:

The story lost me a bit though, needed a happy ending :)

Hehe.

hehehehehehe.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

ceebee posted:

Hey, speaking of VFS, I was considering attending there. Any suggestions/tips?

If you have AIM I have some dumb questions to ask ya (I'm on as ceebee3d)

Sure I can help you out, I don't have aim though, I can probably set one up I guess. If you have MSN i'm at mashed_penguin [at] hotmail.com

In general I would say its a good school if you want an intensive one year program. However it is very much a get out what you put in place (same as any CG program). It gave me the environment to make a reel to get a start in the industry.

Some of the staff are great, some of them have been teaching for so long they have forgotten what it actually means to create something. The new head of department Al was the VFX mentor when I went through. He is pretty awesome and I'm sure its only going to get better with him calling the shots.

I actually just started teaching a nuke compositing course there part time now. So I guess that means you have to take what I say with a grain of salt :)

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Heintje posted:

Ahhhh internet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2QBP3QBNv4

This is amazing.

Anyway here's a low-poly I started some days ago. It's a chest. Rendering in 3DS Max.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
^^ oo nice shader.

Sculptor guys, check this insanity out:
http://www.mudboxhub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=357

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Heintje posted:

^^ oo nice shader.

Sculptor guys, check this insanity out:
http://www.mudboxhub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=357

Holy poo poo, this is actually insane.

Anyway here's some progress:

I'd like some tips on how to improve it. So far there's only normal and diffuse maps, I'm not sure how should I setup the specular map, or other shaders.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Zbrush 4 looks like it will be pretty insane.

Kirby
Dec 2, 2005

Low Altitude Flyer
wow. insane indeed.
with that and Go being included it's looking to be a pretty sweet.
they must have been getting alot of feedback on what people wanted in the program over the last year.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you

Elentor posted:

Holy poo poo, this is actually insane.

Anyway here's some progress:

I'd like some tips on how to improve it. So far there's only normal and diffuse maps, I'm not sure how should I setup the specular map, or other shaders.

I would use occlusion to return a darker value for the grooves. Set this as a multiplier or mask for your spec map, what this means is that you won't have shiny bits in the deep cuts. If you think about how a material wears, this makes sense- the exposed bits get smoothed and the cracks stay dark and rough.

It would also be good to add yet another multiplier to spec, this time do reduce the amt for areas that have a 'different' material, just to introduce variation.

Yet another point of variation would be to map the glossyness or roughness of that spec highlight, again to differentiate between different parts of the box.

Aaaand yet another thing to do after all that is introduce a simple bump map for certain bits, this will break up your spec even more.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
I hope they fix stability in ZBrush 4, along with all these other features.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh that ZB4 video just makes me so happy.

In other news the CG Challenge is up

The theme? Secret Agent! This ought to be fun.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Also, top 75 finalists for Dominance War IV is up:

http://www.gameartisans.org/dominancewar/finals/2009/top75-3d.htm

Pretty amazing poo poo this year.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Heintje posted:

I would use occlusion to return a darker value for the grooves. Set this as a multiplier or mask for your spec map, what this means is that you won't have shiny bits in the deep cuts. If you think about how a material wears, this makes sense- the exposed bits get smoothed and the cracks stay dark and rough.

It would also be good to add yet another multiplier to spec, this time do reduce the amt for areas that have a 'different' material, just to introduce variation.

Yet another point of variation would be to map the glossyness or roughness of that spec highlight, again to differentiate between different parts of the box.

Aaaand yet another thing to do after all that is introduce a simple bump map for certain bits, this will break up your spec even more.

Thanks :) Followed some of the tips, and rendered in Marmoset Engine.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Elentor, that's a cool chest. Have you used any photographic textures on it yet?
Some photographs of woodgrain would look really cool in the diffuse map.

Here's a WIP of the project I'm working on. I posted a WIP of the girl's head earlier in the thread. I've started texturing it but obviously nothing else. Just about everything is still being sculpted all at the same time so it's a bit here and there. It'll be brought back into MAX fro rendering so some of the straps and hard pieces will be less wobbly. There's a fair few buttond and bits that haven't been brought in yet.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
When the boat goes down, I'll be driving

EoinCannon posted:

Elentor, that's a cool chest. Have you used any photographic textures on it yet?

Here's a WIP of the project I'm working on. I posted a WIP of the girl's head earlier in the thread. I've started texturing it but obviously nothing else. Just about everything is still being sculpted all at the same time so it's a bit here and there. It'll be brought back into MAX fro rendering so some of the straps and hard pieces will be less wobbly. There's a fair few buttond and bits that haven't been brought in yet.

Looks pretty good. I see a lot of anatomy issues though. Right now she looks very stick figurish. I'd bust out the anatomy book and push the leg anatomy. Women tend to have more developed legs than that. Also it appears that her shoulders are wider than her hips and it should be either equal or hips being the widest on a female.

Put more wrinkles and distress on the backpack as well as the roll up blanket. There should be creases where the straps are pulling it tight.

I dig what wrinkles you have so far in the pants and boots. Are you sculpting in zbrush or mudbox?

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

le capitan posted:

Also it appears that her shoulders are wider than her hips and it should be either equal or hips being the widest on a female.

They might be shoulder-pads. :confused:

Oh and it looks awesome EoinCannon. I'm very jealous.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

le capitan posted:

Looks pretty good. I see a lot of anatomy issues though. Right now she looks very stick figurish. I'd bust out the anatomy book and push the leg anatomy. Women tend to have more developed legs than that. Also it appears that her shoulders are wider than her hips and it should be either equal or hips being the widest on a female.

Put more wrinkles and distress on the backpack as well as the roll up blanket. There should be creases where the straps are pulling it tight.

I dig what wrinkles you have so far in the pants and boots. Are you sculpting in zbrush or mudbox?

Thanks a lot for the comments mate.

Yeah, they're supposed to be shoulder pads. It's not very period accurate or anything but that's what I was going for. I defintely agree that the overall proportions are not quite sitting correctly though, she's supposed to be fairly skinny but yeah, not quite there yet.

The whole backpack and blanket area is still pretty much a basemesh from max so I haven't tried to work in a clothy feel to it yet, defintely on the list though.

It's all MAX and ZBrush, just about everything is UV'd so it's all going back into MAX either as high res or low res with displacement or normal maps. I'm going to use all the different costume elements to explore the mapping options in ZBrush.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EoinCannon posted:

I used some, but I avoided it. I didn't want it to look photo-realistic and I'm actually avoiding it, trying to find a nice style, etc :)

Your model is looking amazing so far, in my opinion.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

Elentor posted:

I used some, but I avoided it. I didn't want it to look photo-realistic and I'm actually avoiding it, trying to find a nice style, etc :)

Your model is looking amazing so far, in my opinion.

I think right now your box lacks a distinct style and a half-realism look. You can't really tell what element or material it's made out of. Parts of it look like they should be wood and parts of it look like some kind of fantasy marble/stone or something. Using some reference or photo texture when hand painting it would definitely benefit it. Since it's a simple box you really have to rely on your painting/reference to make it look appealing to the eye.

As much as I hate using reference and photo textures, you should either pick cartoony or realism, and rely on the shader and various maps for a distinct "style". In my opinion a diffuse should be either cartoony or realistic, anything inbetween and it just kind of looks thrown together or incomplete.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A WIP of the face texture, I haven't delved into this too much so it's still pretty messy.
The hair will be actual hair, not what is mapped on at the moment
She's slightly retarded around the eye area but I can fix that when I pose the face.
Rendered with mental ray

Waffleimages seems to be down

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Let me know when you start recognising a pattern in this CGTalk challenge.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
When the boat goes down, I'll be driving

tuna posted:

But everybody likes motorcycle chase scenes.

The challenge is 3d only right? So i'm guessing these are just composition roughs?

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Yeah those are early concepts. The time when they should be trying out different things, not the overused cliche crappy james bourne impossible III fantasy they're trying to live out via Blender and Lightwave.

There is a 2d section in the challenge as well (and animation).

tuna fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 14, 2009

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

tuna posted:

Yeah seriously. I told myself if I enter this competition I'm staying well away from that poo poo.

I had a quick idea that was sort of gouache paint colours, south of France scene with an inconspicuous old French man who sort of turns in to / folds in to a Citroen 2CV. I'm not sure if I'm crazy but I might draw up a concept.

brian encino man fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 14, 2009

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
I like how the theme is supposed to be Spies yet none of them actually look like they're actually good at being Spies.

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002
I don't really keep up with CG communities anymore because of that kinda stuff. All of the work at those dark-background-light-text forums, while technically very good, is so devoid of imagination and originality. They all reference the same sci-fi looks, the same creature designs, the same action movies, the same fantasy artists... Instead, I've started reading the blogs of cartoonists and illustrators and Pixar designers for inspiration. If I lived closer to Stuart Ng Books, I'd probably spend days browsing there and disregard the internet entirely.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I guess the dominant 3D style is kind of a symptom of the video games and visual effects/film/tv industry being the main source of employment for 3D artists. Art directors of many video games and hollywood films seem to prefer a cetain visual style so people want to show that kind of style on their showreel. I get the feeling a lot of 3D art is not done purely for art's sake, it's still more about showing technical skill.

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Fluent in five foreign tongues!
Grimey Drawer
Some davinci-esque flying machine thing I'm modeling:

Actual model is only 5cm tall, 20cm wide, it's on my desk.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~anvile/temp/flying_machine02.jpg (vray DoF)

http://www.xs4all.nl/~anvile/temp/frying_machine03.jpg

Big files, so it's on own hosting. I know they look shopped to hell and back, but i was just messing around with looksbuilder. Pretty easy to use, that.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

tuna posted:

The other recurring pattern seems to be Inspector Gadget.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.

DefMech posted:

Instead, I've started reading the blogs of cartoonists and illustrators and Pixar designers for inspiration.

Any good links to blogs that are fun to read? I'm always looking for good ideas to steal be inspired from.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
http://motionographer.com/ is pretty awesome.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

DefMech posted:

I don't really keep up with CG communities anymore because of that kinda stuff. All of the work at those dark-background-light-text forums, while technically very good, is so devoid of imagination and originality. They all reference the same sci-fi looks, the same creature designs, the same action movies, the same fantasy artists... Instead, I've started reading the blogs of cartoonists and illustrators and Pixar designers for inspiration. If I lived closer to Stuart Ng Books, I'd probably spend days browsing there and disregard the internet entirely.

I can't see how the guys find time to do this stuff on the side. I'm too busy getting work done and when I get home it's like.. I have no time to start some big grand personal project.

And it's not exactly like I can take a big character from one of my jobs and stick it on a personal site either.

Kirby
Dec 2, 2005

Low Altitude Flyer

EoinCannon posted:

I guess the dominant 3D style is kind of a symptom of the video games and visual effects/film/tv industry being the main source of employment for 3D artists. Art directors of many video games and hollywood films seem to prefer a cetain visual style so people want to show that kind of style on their showreel. I get the feeling a lot of 3D art is not done purely for art's sake, it's still more about showing technical skill.

if i had the time i would do a totally boring scene of a dude in a suit with an id tag sitting at a desk doing paperwork :smug:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Speaking of interesting styles, this guy does amazing, charming 'miniature' landscapes.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I actually finished that train station one I started months ago. It's changed a hell of a lot since then and turned into an interior now, but it's done!
First thing i've ever finished that was not someone elses idea/a photo and not done just to learn something either.

I used the new environment fog in vray too, which is amazing.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 15, 2009

v1nce
Sep 19, 2004

Plant your brassicas in may and cover them in mulch.
Emergency file/rendering question:

I'm using 3d Studio 9 and rendering an uncompressed AVI file.
The clip is using some very large images which are slowing down the render process significantly, so what I want to do is stop the render (currently at 80%) and downsize these textures, then finish rendering the last 20% as a separate clip.

Before cancelling the render I made a copy of the output AVI to preview, but I can't seem to play that video back on any machine - they all say a variation of "file unrecognised". It looks about the right size and MPC recognises the image size but not the frame rate.

My question is if I press that big ol' Cancel button is it going to finish writing the AVI and make it usabe, or is it just going to drop everything and leave me high and dry, in which case I'd be better off waiting 9 hours for this thing to finish?

Alternatively, any thoughts on recovering the uncompressed AVI? MPC, Vegas 8 and Zoom Player all said no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

v1nce posted:

Emergency file/rendering question:

I'm using 3d Studio 9 and rendering an uncompressed AVI file.
The clip is using some very large images which are slowing down the render process significantly, so what I want to do is stop the render (currently at 80%) and downsize these textures, then finish rendering the last 20% as a separate clip.

Before cancelling the render I made a copy of the output AVI to preview, but I can't seem to play that video back on any machine - they all say a variation of "file unrecognised". It looks about the right size and MPC recognises the image size but not the frame rate.

My question is if I press that big ol' Cancel button is it going to finish writing the AVI and make it usabe, or is it just going to drop everything and leave me high and dry, in which case I'd be better off waiting 9 hours for this thing to finish?

Alternatively, any thoughts on recovering the uncompressed AVI? MPC, Vegas 8 and Zoom Player all said no.

I know there is some free-ware program I've used to repair AVIs and I think divx encoded .mpgs years ago (it basically goes through the physical file to correct that botched header information that keeps it from playing back) but I can't recall what it is. I want to say it had some name that sounded vaguely naughty.

I want to say Max will fix the .avi if you hit cancel as part of the end-render cleanup step but I can't say for sure.

In retrospect this isn't a helpful post at all :(