Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.

Sigma-X posted:

I want to say it had some name that sounded vaguely naughty.

G-Spot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1nce
Sep 19, 2004

Plant your brassicas in may and cover them in mulch.
Haha, thanks guys, the recovery app is the direction I went.

For future reference, you can use apps like AVImedic and AVIrepair which can take the headers from a similar file and drop them over the top of the file thats having issues. I tried this, but neither application wanted to play ball.

Instead I found a guide on using a Hex Editor (HxD in my case) to copy the headers from a test render of similar quality over the top of the bad headers in the output file. I had to actually copy the footers too for the render to play back.

After this I'd get errors around the last rendered frame, so using Virtual Dub I set the frame range from 0 to the last rendered frame, and saved the AVI.

Then I hit cancel, and discovered that yes it does in fact write the headers during the post-render clean up op. Bah.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Hinchu posted:

G-Spot?

That's it!

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

Wow I've actually been doing some personal 3d work for about the first time in a year. Finally sorting out that head I posted ages ago. I guess the next step after I tidy up the head a bit more and sort out the proportions finally is to the do body!

I'm sort of finding out mudbox as I go along but its a fun experience. He's going to be Magua from Last Of The Mohicans when he's done.

brian encino man fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 15, 2009

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
Very nice! I recognized him. I had to go look up some images to see if his face is really that messed up, holy crap it sure it! Nice work!

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

cubicle gangster posted:

I actually finished that train station one I started months ago. It's changed a hell of a lot since then and turned into an interior now, but it's done!
First thing i've ever finished that was not someone elses idea/a photo and not done just to learn something either.

I used the new environment fog in vray too, which is amazing.

Uhh, for some reason this looks eerily like the Team Fortress 2 map with trains. Except real.

brian encino man posted:

I'm sort of finding out mudbox as I go along but its a fun experience. He's going to be Magua from Last Of The Mohicans when he's done.

How're you liking Mudbox? Once I learned the interface and hotkeys to ZBrush I picked it over Mudbox. With version 4 coming soon I'll probably stick with that, as it looks to have a shitload of good new features.

PS. That's a really good likeness, reminds me that I need to watch the next episode of Kings that aired recently :P

ceebee fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 16, 2009

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

cubicle gangster posted:

I actually finished that train station one I started months ago. It's changed a hell of a lot since then and turned into an interior now, but it's done!
First thing i've ever finished that was not someone elses idea/a photo and not done just to learn something either.

Holy poo poo that's impressive like most, if not all, of your work. I really need to brush up on some of my rendering skills. Unfortunately I've changed jobs now and am using horribly old versions of Vectorworks and loving Artlantis now so I am not really progressing any rendering skills at work anymore. Got to get the PC at home fixed / replaced to do some more stuff.

The design of the railway station has something a bit odd about it that I can't quite put my finger on. I think it's the fact that you've got an ornate outdoor station (walkway, lighting, clock, tunnel & paving) which seems to have been housed in a much later period warehouse.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Love the model encino man
It has a really nice irregular, fleshy feel

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Progress!

It's pretty much the first time I'm doing something that i'm trying to add character and attitude to. What do you think?

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

Thanks guys, hopefully I can keep up the likeness..

ceebee posted:

How're you liking Mudbox? Once I learned the interface and hotkeys to ZBrush I picked it over Mudbox. With version 4 coming soon I'll probably stick with that, as it looks to have a shitload of good new features.

I'm loving it so far. I tried to use zbrush once but I'm terrible for tutorials so I sort of struggled with the interface like a fish in a net for a few minutes and gave up. Of course though that is hardly the right attitude so I think I'll make a definite go of it as Mudbox certainly seems to have less features.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Aargh posted:

The design of the railway station has something a bit odd about it that I can't quite put my finger on. I think it's the fact that you've got an ornate outdoor station (walkway, lighting, clock, tunnel & paving) which seems to have been housed in a much later period warehouse.

I know what you mean, the design thing was intentional but I dont think the idea comes across nearly as well as i'd hoped. - the view is set in modern day in a city where they've tried to preserve old architecture, so you end up with this surreal mix of old and new. I tried to take into account them not doing a particularly good job...
The original version had a near-futuristic city in the background of the old station, but none of it was working so it got scrapped and I changed the view.

ceebee - do you have a screenshot? i've never played tf2.

Rekka
Feb 1, 2004

oh god, it's.... THE DOOOO!
Someone was talking about Modo a while ago so I gave it a try. Am I the only one in thinking Modos interface / key placement is totally batshit insane? I couldn't figure it out for the life of me and I've used Silo / Maya. I really wanted to use Modo because Silo just has too many bugs and Maya just isnt too fast for modelling.

However it was taking me forever to do even the smallest thing because the keyboard shortcut menu is complicated and lists way too many things, and I know you can set a shortcut through activating something and going into the history. However two issues with that. One the history only seems to appear in one of their layouts. Two actually finding the stuff I want to place shortcuts for within the menus is a pain in the rear end. Whether they're in a more logical position or not I just couldn't find even the simplest of tools.

I'm sure its great once you learn it but I was just constantly getting frustrated going through each menu everytime I needed something and spending 5 minutes trying to find it, then looking through a tutorial video to see where it might be, then finding it.

I liked the fact you can change the control scheme to Silo however I wish it'd change keyboard shortcut placement, or even accept keyboard layout config files from Silo.

Also it took me ages to set space to maximise / show the quad modelling viewports like other modelling programs, and even then just space on its own seemed buggy. It seemed to work better with shift+space.

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002

Rekka posted:

Someone was talking about Modo a while ago so I gave it a try. Am I the only one in thinking Modos interface / key placement is totally batshit insane?

I'm right there with you. It's especially confusing when you hear people all over the internet saying that the interface is so well thought out and intuitive. I've heard the same thing about Blender, so either a lot of people are living in crazy land or it's one of those things that hurts like hell at first, but opens up and makes complete sense afterward. I haven't had the time or motivation to try and get to that point, though.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.

Odddzy posted:

Progress!

It's pretty much the first time I'm doing something that i'm trying to add character and attitude to. What do you think?

The only real crit I would have is that he doesn't look very balanced in the sense that he doesn't look like he's holding his own weight. It looks like he would topple over backwards in that pose.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

cubicle gangster posted:

ceebee - do you have a screenshot? i've never played tf2.

Here's a video of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDQrAMu-UUI

The layout of your train station looks similar, but of course TF2 is much more cartoony.

Kirby
Dec 2, 2005

Low Altitude Flyer
speaking of tf2, everyone should check out this;
http://www.valvesoftware.com/publications/2008/GDC2008_StylizationWithAPurpose_TF2.pdf

absolutely brilliant presentation for anybody interested in character design and animation, let alone game design.

theres a whole bunch of these here

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Still sculpting random heads. The more I use zbrush, the more fun it gets.

I am fascinated with the idea of sculpting a celebrity head for practice.
This one is nowhere close, but I didn't create the basemesh.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah. My problem is I get way too easily distracted following wierd forms. It was supposed to be a female head for the CG Challenge. Instead... :ohdear:

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah. My problem is I get way too easily distracted following wierd forms. It was supposed to be a female head for the CG Challenge. Instead... :ohdear:

Yeah, I get the same way. I was once sulpting a simple male face and ended up with a demon clown.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

v1nce posted:

Alternatively, any thoughts on recovering the uncompressed AVI? MPC, Vegas 8 and Zoom Player all said no.

Not so much about recovery. But if you render an image sequence rather than an .avi it is much safer. If something breaks you only lose the frame it is rendering at that time.

You can then use a composting package, NLE or even quicktime to convert the images to whatever video format you want.

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Fluent in five foreign tongues!
Grimey Drawer

cubicle gangster posted:

Very nice man, the mood is just perfect. Only thing: i might change the angle ever so slightly, since the tunnel now kinda looks like it was painted on by Wile E. Coyote (carnivorous vulgaris).

Grass!

Click here for the full 1280x720 image.

I like vrayscatter. Took 3.5 hours though, probably because my dynamic memory settings weren't correct. LightCache took 1h15m on 700 subdivs :(.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
Nice shader!

Check out this guys dynamics work:
http://www.brandonriza.com/3DVisualEffects/HTML/3DVisualEffects.htm

Done with Rayfire apparently. Crazy. I want shatter tools like that, the simming is fine but getting nice geometry for it is a pain.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Heintje posted:

Nice shader!

Done with Rayfire apparently. Crazy. I want shatter tools like that, the simming is fine but getting nice geometry for it is a pain.

That's just nuts. Can I assume they used houdini for those dynamics?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Those are shots for Blur studios, I think they often use the Physx rigid body stuff that comes with the rayfire plugin for MAX. A guy I work with uses it, it's pretty amazing. I know they also use Houdini and Thinking Particles in their pipeline aswell though.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you

sigma 6 posted:

That's just nuts. Can I assume they used houdini for those dynamics?

Nope, it appears to be max and rayfire (shattering plugin). At least that's the gist I'm getting from the viewport captures and the rayfire website links to his work as examples.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
Here's one that was a rush that actually didn't come out too bad (despite the fact that I had to factor in time to render at 200dpi for an Arch-D print). No time for light and material tweaks, which it needs quite a few of. For a sense of scale, the benches are 8' long, and the columns and rafters are 14"x14".

Click here for the full 1735x713 image.

1:1 detail of one of the columns with one of the submaterials having a horribly small diffuse noise map.

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 18, 2009

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

drat, that poo poo looks expensive!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

EoinCannon posted:

A WIP of the face texture, I haven't delved into this too much so it's still pretty messy.
The hair will be actual hair, not what is mapped on at the moment
She's slightly retarded around the eye area but I can fix that when I pose the face.
Rendered with mental ray

Waffleimages seems to be down

This is fantastic. I am also struggling with making faces look feminine. Did you use the zbrush z project brush to create the texture?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Cheers Sigma
I used Zbrush's projection master to initially project images from 3d.sk into the model. That way the poly count doesn't need to be high, just the texture size. Just using the plane primitive with Zadd turned off you can project an image onto a mesh and then divide the plane and tweak the points to get the image to fit properly. Export the resulting texture then repeat for each angle you want to project.

I may be able to make a video of the process if anyone's interested and if I have time this weekend.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

EoinCannon posted:

I may be able to make a video of the process if anyone's interested and if I have time this weekend.

Please do so, I would be greatly interested :)

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Hinchu posted:

drat, that poo poo looks expensive!

All in all, including swings and a soccer field, it's a $300K project. Structure alone is probably about $70K.

So is there a clever workaround to bending max's wood map? Certainly there's a quicker way than rendering out textures for each unique grain pattern...because I really don't want to do that with 50 of them.

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jun 19, 2009

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Handiklap posted:

Here's one that was a rush that actually didn't come out too bad

I quite like this - but one thing that might help is in your next bit of downtime create a field surrounded by trees/distant buildings - looks really odd without a background floating in space. Even if you're going to fade it to white, a hint of context would help.

International Log posted:

Only thing: i might change the angle ever so slightly,
Hows this?

Got the camera moves ready for the animation - these are stills from the animation itself. :)

I've uploaded a smooth & highlights to youtube with all the music cued up - it may change slightly, but not by much - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k1cnxbI7jA
Need to tidy up a few patches but it should be rendering in a couple of days!

I think this is pretty much just going to be my entire showreel. gently caress 3 months of my spare time on each shot.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jun 19, 2009

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

cubicle gangster posted:

I've uploaded a smooth & highlights to youtube with all the music cued up - it may change slightly, but not by much - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k1cnxbI7jA
Need to tidy up a few patches but it should be rendering in a couple of days!
Is the FOV going to stay the same for the rendering? It's looks okay when you're moving at right angles but crappy as gently caress from 0:40 to 0:47 for example.

edit: the atmosphere is really good though. You should think about scoring it yourself ;)

wayfinder fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 19, 2009

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

cubicle gangster posted:

I quite like this - but one thing that might help is in your next bit of downtime create a field surrounded by trees/distant buildings - looks really odd without a background floating in space. Even if you're going to fade it to white, a hint of context would help.

Yeah we're still building environments, although they do get alpha cropped and put on a standard layout.

also, success:

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 19, 2009

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Handiklap posted:

Yeah we're still building environments, although they do get alpha cropped and put on a standard layout.

also, success:

How? Was this simply a matter of putting an edit UV modifier on the mod stack before the bend, or is there some secret tomfoolery going on?

Ratmann
Dec 9, 2006

Heintje posted:

Nice shader!

That's rayfire for 3ds max, and that beats the hell out of any tool in the market right now, it rocks!

And also ThinkingParticles can be used to do destruction to a certain level.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
edit^^^
Yeah it certainly seems to do a nice job at creating pre-shattered geometry. I've looked into how that's actually done and it's a complicated and horrible process a lot of the time. I wonder what the sim times with rayfire are like, though the thought of pumping more than 50K polys through max makes me feel sick.

I'm currently turning the flamethrower stuff into a shelf tool for houdini, here's a pic of what I'm moving towards:

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Sigma-X posted:

How? Was this simply a matter of putting an edit UV modifier on the mod stack before the bend, or is there some secret tomfoolery going on?

I just took vrayLightMtls and bumped up their output and then baked the textures out. Once it's a uv'd texture, you can anything with the mod stack. Unless I'm missing something simple (very possible), the wood map is a volumetric procedural, so it's completely independent of UVs, so you're forced to rely on the texture's coords rollout to change grain direction, because I couldn't find a single way to configure a uvw map to affect it in any way. I've got to be missing something though. They must have anticipated this kind of usage...

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

wayfinder posted:

Is the FOV going to stay the same for the rendering? It's looks okay when you're moving at right angles but crappy as gently caress from 0:40 to 0:47 for example.

edit: the atmosphere is really good though. You should think about scoring it yourself ;)

i'll get right on it :) something about that shot didnt feel right to me but I was rushing and couldnt think what it was. If that doesnt fix it I might try to change the move a bit, think the rotation is a little weird too next to all these pans.

I cant score it myself either - if I did i'd think it was the best thing ever made then after 4 weeks i'd have a hard time admitting I made it. haha.
Also philip glass is much better than me at piano :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratmann
Dec 9, 2006

Heintje posted:

edit^^^
Yeah it certainly seems to do a nice job at creating pre-shattered geometry. I've looked into how that's actually done and it's a complicated and horrible process a lot of the time. I wonder what the sim times with rayfire are like, though the thought of pumping more than 50K polys through max makes me feel sick.

I'm currently turning the flamethrower stuff into a shelf tool for houdini, here's a pic of what I'm moving towards:

Actually the method is not as bad as you'd think, it's pretty doable, using Voronoi diagram and Delaunay triangulation.

That's one method for creating shattering, tho the pieces for the most part will look very similar, but there ar ways to make the effect look more noisy and such.

And the main other thing that makes rayfire so much more successful than Houdini for this is that it uses physX for running the sims, don't get me wrong, I like DOPs, I've been using it since 8, but it runs pretty slow, That's whats so great about game engine physics, while not crazy accurate, they run fast and look good.

I recently dove into the HDK and started looking into implementing bullet physics into Houdini, tho right now I was mainly looking at a sops implementation, maybe a DOP version would be better for interconnection. I did see the ODE Solver that 10 now includes, but it's still a bit incomplete, I also tried to compile the source code included in 10 under the public folders in the install directory but it seems it might still be broken, after sending a bug fix for it. Might have to do another.

Edit: I haven't used much of the Pyro tools yet, but can you pump in particles to use as the "emitters" for fire? That's one way I've made a flamethrower before, specially good to get that 'sticky' look that happens you set something on fire :haw:

Edit2: I think my main problem right now for Pyro tools is that it's still kinda wonky in , what's for me, the most important aspect to making believable pyro, and that's the light scattering from the fire onto the smoke, I know it has one, but I'm still finding it slow, cumbersome and doesn't really look very good :smith:

Fume on the other hand has gotten it working pretty quick.

Ratmann fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 19, 2009