Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

SecretFire posted:

File/photo sharing, chat, web hosting? Handy I guess, but not exactly groundbreaking unless I'm missing something.
Yeah, big letdown. Revolutionary my rear end.

quote:

"Opera Unite is, in short, a Web server running inside the Opera Web browser. This Web server allows the user to install services and share these services with their friends and colleagues (or everyone, if they wish). The interaction is all done via a central Opera Unite server — Opera Unite uses a proxy between the server and its clients (found at operaunite.com) to avoid the need for any special firewall configuration."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Yeah this is pretty lame. I'm not sure what big problem this is solving.

tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!
I think what they've bothered creating for the platform so far is - even by their own admission - lame and already available on the internet.

I think the idea is that they came up with a platform that they want to grow into something else that could be revolutionary. If I'm understanding it right, they want it to be a web-based p2p EVERYTHING. The problem is they didn't come up with any ideas for it, they just created the platform and a bunch of preexisting features available elsewhere and said, "here, you guys do all the work"

Definitely not ground-breaking in its current form, has potential so I'll lay off passing judgment.

edit: They talk a lot about it here http://labs.opera.com/news/2009/06/16/

tismondo fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jun 16, 2009

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Hey, DO NOT SEARCH your music if you have a lot of it

They need to work on some QoS or something, opera slowed like mad

Pretty sure I'm digging it. It's not HUGELY REVOLUTIONARY or anything, pretty neat way of sharing though. And dead loving simple as well. Actually it's too simple i expect my box to be hax0red in the morning. Gonna stream like mad at work though.

I like the 3 little buttons at the bottom left, they're adding up nicely. :) EDIT: by that i mean Link, Unite, Turbo. Cool features.

down1nit fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jun 16, 2009

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
I actually think that if it's usable and simple enough it might gain some traction. One of the main problems nowadays with everyone being behind a router and two firewalls, with no idea how to configure either of them is that most people have no idea how to easily share files with other people, which leads to people using such horrible shitholes as rapidshare or megaupload. If this can circumvent that problem, it'd be really neat.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
gently caress it go nuts http://home.down1nit.operaunite.com/fridge

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Mithaldu posted:

I actually think that if it's usable and simple enough it might gain some traction. One of the main problems nowadays with everyone being behind a router and two firewalls, with no idea how to configure either of them is that most people have no idea how to easily share files with other people, which leads to people using such horrible shitholes as rapidshare or megaupload. If this can circumvent that problem, it'd be really neat.

This is my thinking too. Yes, there's nothing here that hasn't been done before, but it's bundling a simple web/media/app server with a friendly interface and an included NAT-traversal tech. If that NAT-traversal actually works well (I'm thinking Hamachi-level good), this will be amazing for non-technical users and occasionally-convenient for technical ones.

For the former category, however, note that its utility to Grandma also relies on Grandma having enough bandwidth to run any sort of server, i.e. not being on dialup, which unfortunately rules it out in my family :(.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

I tried out Opera Turbo today and found out something neat: It allows me access to sites that are otherwise broken for me.

For example, i can never read perlgeek.de, because the site just plain won't load for me. However with Turbo on it works just fine.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Colour me unamazed. Weird that they hyped it so much - albeit without any big campaigning, though, but they were pretty bold about it.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

ufarn posted:

Colour me unamazed. Weird that they hyped it so much - albeit without any big campaigning, though, but they were pretty bold about it.
That's what marketing is about : How well and confidently you exaggerate. Just look at Safari or Firefox. They often flat out lie in their marketing poo poo.

Plus, the people reading here are very much geeks for whom this is very old news. However to the normal person the concept of "I can have my friend listen to a song on my computer without waiting ten minutes to upload it to somewhere?" will be pretty amazing.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mithaldu posted:

Plus, the people reading here are very much geeks for whom this is very old news. However to the normal person the concept of "I can have my friend listen to a song on my computer without waiting ten minutes to upload it to somewhere?" will be pretty amazing.

This is exactly who it's marketed to, and goes well with the whole "Opera Community" thing they have going.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Sure its nothing new, but for the majority of users who are tech unsavy its amazingly easy to set up and use. From a technical viewpoints its boring, but this is so easy to use and theres a lot of potential for further services that im optimistic about this.

Nobody took their "reinvent the web" catchphrase seriously and im pretty drat sure they knew that.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Can't wait until they add in an ftp server/client :D

bt_escm
Jan 10, 2001
I really don't understand who this is for. Do they think there are that many people with content that don't know how to post it somewhere?

It's like a bunch of hippies run Opera and decided they needed to build something to tear down the walled gardens of today and tomorrow.

This just doesn't even seem to be in step with the way all digital media is currently going. We're now at a point where people want access to all of their their documents, mp3, movies and games all of the time. How is it useful to only have access to my stuff when my desktop is running?

Also, outside of just making it easier for the lay-person I don't see how this is much different than anything that could have been done over 10 years ago.

However, I could see this as being kind of sweet for company intranets, but I doubt there are too many companies that would even allow opera on their machines.

bt_escm fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jun 16, 2009

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

bt_escm posted:

I really don't understand who this is for. Do they think there are that many people with content that don't know how to post it somewhere?

Actually, yes.

bt_escm
Jan 10, 2001

Stanley Pain posted:

Actually, yes.

I don't know if that's true. You kind of have to know a thing or two to be able to create content on a computer. If you can create the content, then you can get it online.

Just look at the number of baby boomers and grandparents on facebook. They all managed to get on there and upload wacky pictures of their grandkids.

I was not expect anything out of this, but I'm actually shocked as to what unity is.

Maybe I'll come around in a couple of hours.

I totally realize that using services like facebook or myspace or youtube or whatever, that you are giving up some rights to any property that you share through them, but I don't see the people concerned about their IP and people that can't figure how to share a file with someone as being part of the same demographic.

bt_escm fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jun 16, 2009

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

bt_escm posted:

How about people who do not want to post it somewhere but want to make sure it only goes to the recipient?

The point here is not the feature itself. It's already clear that it is available to everyone elsewhere already, the point is the simplicity and convenience coupled with the control it offers.

Besides, keep in mind that the average lay person makes up at least 60% of the populace. ;)

bt_escm
Jan 10, 2001

Mithaldu posted:

How about people who do not want to post it somewhere but want to make sure it only goes to the recipient?

The point here is not the feature itself. It's already clear that it is available to everyone elsewhere already, the point is the simplicity and convenience coupled with the control it offers.

Besides, keep in mind that the average lay person makes up at least 60% of the populace. ;)

That definitely make sense. I guess I've spent too much time lately working on social network apps and using S3. Hopefully this works out for them.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:
I'm really interested to see what kind of security they can enforce on this.

bt_escm
Jan 10, 2001
Just tried out a couple of the links/servers/apps/unities (what are running instance called?) and it seems pretty neat. It has some mime type issues when connecting with firefox.

Also there's a box with the heading "Others running this service" on a file share that lists other open file shares. I'm not sure they thought this out all the way unless they too are part of the pirate party.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

^^^^
As long as there's no search, it'll be pointless for that and even so, it's the responsibility of the users.

Zom Aur posted:

I'm really interested to see what kind of security they can enforce on this.

quote:

Access Control
Choose an access option for these files and save it:

• Public: Allow anyone to access these files.
  • Limited: Limit access to only those with the full URL. Send your friends the URL above, which includes a unique password that you can edit.
  • Private: Only you can access these files. (Requires you to be logged in to your my.opera.com account.)
You can set this per service and you can set up multiple services with unique settings. For example, right now i have a file sharing service with my web dev stuff that's private, and a public one with random files for irc.

Something I'm missing is the ability to restrict access to other my.opera.com accounts.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is there a reason for why Opera 10.0 beta doesn't (auto)update to the version with Unite? Are they making two separate versions to make using Unite optional?

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Am I missing something or is setting up a web server usually out of the range of an average person, and when I say average person not geeks like us who read SHSC all day.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

^^^^
Out of the range? In what manner? If you mean experience and know-how, yes.

ufarn posted:

Are they making two separate versions to make using Unite optional?
It's like Turbo or Link or IRC or Mail. By default disabled, enabled by the user.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

b0nes posted:

Am I missing something or is setting up a web server usually out of the range of an average person, and when I say average person not geeks like us who read SHSC all day.

The average person has trouble navigating websites, taking batteries out of their cellphone, etc, etc. So yes, setting up a webserver on their computer is WAY THE HELL out of their scope ;)

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Mithaldu posted:

Exactly.

b0nes posted:

Yes. People who are traveling have absolutely no chance to set up anything, and just want to send the drat files home. (Me being in this case.)

Opera 'just works'. I can get more functionality out of firefox but cannot stand setting it up, for instance.

I am a perfect consumer of this.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
Look at what you'd have to do to equal the features of Opera Unite.

1. Buy a .MAC or or Windows Home Server or mess around with similar free file remote access gateways. Configure your router to support it if it doesn't do uPnP like most ISP issued routers. I'm looking at you 2Wire.
2. Install ORB or some other (free) media streamer software and configure your router if it doesn't support uPnP.
3. Install some sort of web server with a content management system to roughly equal the Fridge, web server, and photo hosting capability. Configure your router and pray your ISP doesn't block port 80.
4. Use Meebo or some other web based chat host that works no matter what IM protocols the people you know use.

Having something with all these features for free that you can install and setup in just a few clicks could be a big deal for non technical users or technical people who don't want to mess around with multiple services. And what do you want to bet Opera will add access to your Unite page from Opera Mini / Mobile?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

I just realized something else interesting: As far as i know Mozilla can not put this feature-set into firefox. Unite is based around the already existing proxy infrastructure Opera built and maintains around their Mobile and Turbo offerings. This means there is a lot of code in there as well as a constant cash drain server maintenance and bandwidth. I doubt Mozilla has the capabilities to provide that. And if they do not have that, then any kind of web server they integrate with FF will be useless in comparison as it doesn't automatically go through firewall/NAT.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Might check out Unite - after they've upped the security (seriously, URL-extensions for passwords?) and allow me to pick my own profile name, so it doesn't get associated with my user name.

Speaking of which; my mate's Firefox tab crashes when accessing my file-sharing link. Can I get some reports on the success rate of connecting your friends to your links?

ufarn fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 16, 2009

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

El_Matarife posted:

2. Install ORB or some other (free) media streamer software and configure your router if it doesn't support uPnP.

with the API, i hope there will be streaming options for something other than music.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Mithaldu posted:

That's what marketing is about : How well and confidently you exaggerate. Just look at Safari or Firefox. They often flat out lie in their marketing poo poo.

However, the average consumer has a 256/512k upload cap, if that. If they're streaming music to a friend, doing anything else on the internet will be painfully, painfully slow.

The Opera video acts like servers are supercomputers or something, but that's not it at all. They're servers because they're well connected.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

timb posted:

However, the average consumer has a 256/512k upload cap, if that. If they're streaming music to a friend, doing anything else on the internet will be painfully, painfully slow.

The Opera video acts like servers are supercomputers or something, but that's not it at all. They're servers because they're well connected.

A large chunk of Comcast's users are on their new Blast! service (or w/e) with 2mbit up speeds. A lot of people are in markets where U-Verse or FIOS are increasing competition, and DOCSIS 3 is right around the corner. We're seeing lines with better upload. It might be a bit early, but upload caps are increasing.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Casao posted:

A large chunk of Comcast's users are on their new Blast! service (or w/e) with 2mbit up speeds. A lot of people are in markets where U-Verse or FIOS are increasing competition, and DOCSIS 3 is right around the corner. We're seeing lines with better upload. It might be a bit early, but upload caps are increasing.

In very select markets. Hell, there's still a good chunk of people who are on dial-up or can't even get decent broadband.

There's tons of people that are at the tail end of DSL.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

timb posted:

Actually, MANY people i know are upgrading and often also are GETTING upgraded. Three year ago 1mbit lines were the norm, nowadays 5-6 MBit lines are the norm. Plus, from my testing it, the music sharing app actually limits itself to only 90% of the max upload, which can be derived from ping tests.

Granted, I'm in Yurp, situation in the USA might be different.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 16, 2009

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

timb posted:

In very select markets. Hell, there's still a good chunk of people who are on dial-up or can't even get decent broadband.

There's tons of people that are at the tail end of DSL.

Yeah, but those kinds of people aren't likely to be using Opera anyway, more than likely just be using IE.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Casao posted:

Yeah, but those kinds of people aren't likely to be using Opera anyway, more than likely just be using IE.

So, who is likely to be using Opera? The tech savvy consumer? Wouldn't they already be doing this stuff through other means?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to poo poo on what Opera's doing here... Well, okay, I guess I am. It's not really revolutionary. It's basically Microsoft Bob: Web 2.0 Edition.

Opera wasn't relevant when they started, and they're not relevant now. There's just no room for a fourth layout engine. Tacking on lovely gimmicks won't suddenly make everyone want to use their browser.

Instead of doing poo poo like this, why don't they scrap Presto and switch over to WebKit, like everyone else is doing?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Okay, yeah, now you're dumbshitting. If you really need to understand what Opera is and does, keep in mind that their browser is most comparable with Apple computers and that they, financially, are an extremely successful company due to their mobile brand. The Desktop browser at this point is pretty much only their experimentation ground where they gently caress around with stuff they deem neat and think up new features that everyone else gets to copy then.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

timb posted:

So, who is likely to be using Opera? The tech savvy consumer? Wouldn't they already be doing this stuff through other means?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to poo poo on what Opera's doing here... Well, okay, I guess I am. It's not really revolutionary. It's basically Microsoft Bob: Web 2.0 Edition.

Opera wasn't relevant when they started, and they're not relevant now. There's just no room for a fourth layout engine. Tacking on lovely gimmicks won't suddenly make everyone want to use their browser.

Instead of doing poo poo like this, why don't they scrap Presto and switch over to WebKit, like everyone else is doing?

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of this, but it's not just the tech savvy consumer with a decent line - most people in suburbia or cities have good enough lines for this. I'm more referring to people who willingly keep dial-up or the lowest end DSL as "It's all we need" more than anything, I guess rural people would be screwed.

Anyway, I'd be fine with a switch from Presto to Webkit if they kept a lot of the features they use right now. To be honest, Presto isn't really much faster than Webkit and Facebook breaking and unbreaking every other version is annoying. But nothing else comes close to the features and eccentricities I like, and even Firefox's extensions can't mimic them.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I think the crux of this discussion is that the hype thing they were trying to get going was only going to be seen by the tech savvy goons, whereas the service it was teasing in no way is meant for the target audience of the teaser page.

If you think this is a new direction Opera is taking, no offence intended, wake up! Have you ever been to My Opera? It's a horrible sight to be hold, to be sure, but it's there, and has been for a while. I only noticed it because I use Opera Link.

Opera's claim to fame is its incorporation of a lot of features in one product, and the aforementioned projects are some of their ways of improving on that platform. It's not like it's taking a new direction and abandoning the tech savvy fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greenfield
Jan 27, 2005
When Opera is streaming to your friends or whatever, is it traffic from port 80? Wouldn't your ISP be mad about running a web server?