Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Atomic Dog posted:

Recently heard Tom Waits' first album Closing Time and I absolutely love the track Closing Time. It's a slow jazz instrumental, with a muted trumpet carrying the lead with piano, double bass and drums. Nuts about that muted trumpet sound.

Can anyone recommend me something quite similar? it's a pretty cinematic song, sounds like it could be in the soundtrack to a film noir. Really like the Taxi Driver soundtrack so an ost along those lines would be great too.

You'll absolutely love the score music to a '90s neo-noir film called Romeo Is Bleeding, starring Gary Oldman and Lena Olin. The soundtrack is by Mark Isham, and the title track is nothing but muted trumpet -- the perfect noir accompaniment. It feels very influenced by Bernard Hermann's Taxi Driver score.

That movie, Romeo Is Bleeding, is actually named after a Tom Waits song, and you might like his (completely unrelated) song too. Waits' gravelly voice is not for everyone, but it sounds like more film noir music with a sad, mournful saxophone, and Waits doing his beat poetry schtick over it. '70s-era Waits was great for that "down and out under a streetlight" jazzy feeling. "Small Change," "Burma Shave," and the more upbeat "Jockey Full of Bourbon" are some more Waits tracks worth checking out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

aude omnia posted:

I'm looking for Polish-language music, and dark is good. D-Alternative is the best I've found so far. Any recommendations along similar sonic lines would be appreciated. :)

Pati Yang and her band FlyKKiller are pioneers of dark drip-hop in Poland, try that. They've got tracks both in english and polish.

texting my ex fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 28, 2009

Rat Salad
Apr 15, 2007

arms are for hugging (and killing fascists)

Godzilla07 posted:

I need some punk recommendations. I've owned London Calling for a long time and I have Nevermind the Bollocks. I'm not too much of a fan of Nevermind the Bollocks and I love London Calling. I hope I'm not being too vague here.

Are you looking specifically for 77 punk or what? Like I guess you just want a starting point, but you maybe can't imagine how much there is to learn about. Here's some accessible older stuff that'll give you a bit of an idea of the range of poo poo out there, but really you just gotta do your own research.

The Weirdos
Circle Jerks
Negative Approach
Side By Side
DRI
Dag Nasty
Discharge

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Rat Salad posted:

Are you looking specifically for 77 punk or what? Like I guess you just want a starting point, but you maybe can't imagine how much there is to learn about. Here's some accessible older stuff that'll give you a bit of an idea of the range of poo poo out there, but really you just gotta do your own research.

The Weirdos
Circle Jerks
Negative Approach
Side By Side
DRI
Dag Nasty
Discharge

I don't really think he's looking for straight-ahead punk if he didn't like Nevermind but loves London Calling.

Rat Salad
Apr 15, 2007

arms are for hugging (and killing fascists)
He's not exactly asking for bands 'similar to The Clash', I'm taking it he wants to know more punk bands in general. I'm saying that if you're going to just start out exploring that stuff, you're gonna need to hear more than the two records he mentioned before you start forming opinions about the genre. Those bands would all lead in different directions depending on which he likes more.

(Unless, dude, you really just want more stuff like London Calling, in which case I can't really help.)

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Rat Salad posted:

He's not exactly asking for bands 'similar to The Clash', I'm taking it he wants to know more punk bands in general. I'm saying that if you're going to just start out exploring that stuff, you're gonna need to hear more than the two records he mentioned before you start forming opinions about the genre. Those bands would all lead in different directions depending on which he likes more.

(Unless, dude, you really just want more stuff like London Calling, in which case I can't really help.)

People have different criteria for what they consider punk though. I'm not trying to turn this into a "what is punk?" conversation but London Calling is quite different from "straight-ahead punk" like the Sex Pistols and the Ramones. Chances are he probably would gravitate more towards Gang of Four than the Circle Jerks. That said I thought this was a better suggestion:

A Violence Gang posted:

Sounds like my taste as far as punk goes -- I like the stuff that uses punk as one influence among others but I'm not big on pure punk itself. Maybe check out some other punk/something else hybrid groups like Gang of Four (Entertainment!, Solid Gold) and the Gun Club (Fire of Love, Miami)?

Although this kind of stuff isn't hard to find either, just look up some of more upbeat post-punk like Wire, Pere Ubu, The Fall, Talking Heads etc.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Way Past Cool! posted:

words, quoted my suggestion

I'd also like some recommendations along the lines of stuff I was suggesting -- stuff with a heavy punk influence but integrating that into something a more diverse than traditional punk. More... melodic maybe? Gun Club and Gang of Four were all I could think of along those lines, so if anybody's got some suggestions like that, that would be awesome. But I never really got into much of the stuff described as "post-punk" or anything with much New Wave influence so that might rule out a lot of bands that kinda meet this criteria.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

A Violence Gang posted:

I'd also like some recommendations along the lines of stuff I was suggesting -- stuff with a heavy punk influence but integrating that into something a more diverse than traditional punk. More... melodic maybe? Gun Club and Gang of Four were all I could think of along those lines, so if anybody's got some suggestions like that, that would be awesome. But I never really got into much of the stuff described as "post-punk" or anything with much New Wave influence so that might rule out a lot of bands that kinda meet this criteria.

Well, there's a lot of different kinds of post punk. I would recommend The Au Pairs to start; they basically sound like a feminist Gang of Four. Then on to: The Slits, Liquid Liquid, Josef K, X, The Pop Group, Public Image Ltd. There's also many good genres that split off from punk that could sorta-kinda be classified as post punk. Check out Rites of Spring (post-hardcore) and Royal Trux (noise rock).

DrKrankenwagen
Mar 21, 2005

Earlier in the thread someone recommended Regina Spektor to another poster and I fell in love with her music. Could anyone recommend something similar? Nice piano with a beautiful voice.

Wackle
Oct 28, 2006
Title Text?
This definitely doesn't deserve its own thread so i'll put it here...

Where are some good "radio" style websites? I'm looking to expose myself to more music and at the same time avoid posting poo poo like "I like this band, which band is like this band that i would probably like too?"

.... it needs to be free.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

Funyon posted:

Earlier in the thread someone recommended Regina Spektor to another poster and I fell in love with her music. Could anyone recommend something similar? Nice piano with a beautiful voice.

The most obvious answer to this, assuming you haven't already checked her out, would be Tori Amos, who has a similar style of personal, intimate piano based music. For something a bit different I'd reccomend PJ Harvey, who starts out has a similar songwriting style but a harder, more abrasive edge to her music.

Wackle posted:

This definitely doesn't deserve its own thread so i'll put it here...

Where are some good "radio" style websites? I'm looking to expose myself to more music and at the same time avoid posting poo poo like "I like this band, which band is like this band that i would probably like too?"

.... it needs to be free.

Tried Last.FM?

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Looking for a few things.

Firstly, stuff along the lines of Guy J, Hernán Cattáneo, Gui Boratto and especially 16 Bit Lolitas. Really like the progressive/electro and sometimes minimal sound these guys have and I'd definitely be intrested in more recommnedations. Lay it on me NMD!

Secondly I'd like some mellow piano pieces along the lines of Gonzalez, Eluvium and Aphex Twin (when he's in the mood).

Cheers for the help :)

ARE CHILDREN
Nov 11, 2007

Funyon posted:

As Surfer Rosa Parks said, Tori Amos is good. Also, try Fiona Apple or Nellie McKay- Fiona Apple has more of a jazzy feel and Nellie McKay is all over the place, but both are definitely worth checking out.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Ewar Woowar posted:

Looking for a few things.

Firstly, stuff along the lines of Guy J, Hernán Cattáneo, Gui Boratto and especially 16 Bit Lolitas. Really like the progressive/electro and sometimes minimal sound these guys have and I'd definitely be intrested in more recommnedations. Lay it on me NMD!

have you checked out the labels Guy J, Hernan, 16 Bit Lolitas and Gui Boratto are primarily associated with (bedrock, renaissance, anjunadeep and kompakt respectively)? Cause they're all excellent and specialize in different aspects of this sound, get a few different compilation albums. Also, other artists that they include in their DJ mixes, and people who have remixed them. The style you're talking about is THE music pretty much all over Europe right now so it's really difficult for me to just throw out a couple names when there's so drat much of it out there, but try Tigerskin, Fairmont, Glimpse, Jesse Somfay and Stephan Bodzin.

DrKrankenwagen
Mar 21, 2005

Sum Ergo Sum posted:

As Surfer Rosa Parks said, Tori Amos is good. Also, try Fiona Apple or Nellie McKay- Fiona Apple has more of a jazzy feel and Nellie McKay is all over the place, but both are definitely worth checking out.

Thanks for the recommendations guys. But none of those artists really do it for me the way Regina Spektor does. I don't know what it is about her. I usually listen to metal, but I can't stop listening to her.

On that note, I posted a recommendation request a few pages back that seemed to have been overlooked. Does anyone have any good recommendations on metal/rock with a heavy focus on the piano? I've been listening to a lot of Anathema lately, and I'd love to hear similar stuff. I'm not a big fan of the orchestral stuff, I just love the piano.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Funyon posted:

On that note, I posted a recommendation request a few pages back that seemed to have been overlooked. Does anyone have any good recommendations on metal/rock with a heavy focus on the piano? I've been listening to a lot of Anathema lately, and I'd love to hear similar stuff. I'm not a big fan of the orchestral stuff, I just love the piano.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrufkkhg_U8
This is from Mirrorthrone's third album, the previous two have more guitar on average. There's a lot of synthesized piano, harpsichord, and "orchestral" instruments.

Wobegon
Jan 13, 2007

by The Finn
Allmusic and Pandora keep giving me two kinds of results for Sigur Ros - piano instrumentals and ambient trip-hop. I'm looking for more of that ethereal sound, but not with the 808 drum beats or being just reverby piano music. I'm really digging Sigur Ros recently, and would like to find more like that. Efterklang is in the right direction. Some other random poo poo to make associations, I like "Kind of Blue" by Miles Davis a lot, and I've loved Tom Waits (Island to the present, mostly, but his old stuff is cool sometimes too) for years.

Wobegon fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jun 27, 2009

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009

Funyon posted:

Thanks for the recommendations guys. But none of those artists really do it for me the way Regina Spektor does. I don't know what it is about her. I usually listen to metal, but I can't stop listening to her.

Maybe rather than just female singer-songwriters, you might be interested in the anti-folk scene in New York she came out of? I don't know about her former peers in New York, but maybe stuff like Billy Bragg or Michelle Shocked?

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

etard knievel posted:

have you checked out the labels Guy J, Hernan, 16 Bit Lolitas and Gui Boratto are primarily associated with (bedrock, renaissance, anjunadeep and kompakt respectively)? Cause they're all excellent and specialize in different aspects of this sound, get a few different compilation albums. Also, other artists that they include in their DJ mixes, and people who have remixed them. The style you're talking about is THE music pretty much all over Europe right now so it's really difficult for me to just throw out a couple names when there's so drat much of it out there, but try Tigerskin, Fairmont, Glimpse, Jesse Somfay and Stephan Bodzin.

Brilliant cheers for the recommendations. Bodzin is loving incredible and I'd heard a little of Fairmont (although he seems more in the Nathan Fake/The Field sort of sound...whatever that is) but the others are great.

I'm in New Zealand and we don't seem to bring those sort of acts over here unfortunately- more of the cheese producers and the oldies like Sasha/Digweed etc. I don't mind the latter but I've seen them play many times before so I'd like something fresh. I'd loving kill to see 16 Bit Lolitas play. Have you seen them yourself?

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Ewar Woowar posted:

Brilliant cheers for the recommendations. Bodzin is loving incredible and I'd heard a little of Fairmont (although he seems more in the Nathan Fake/The Field sort of sound...whatever that is) but the others are great.

I'm in New Zealand and we don't seem to bring those sort of acts over here unfortunately- more of the cheese producers and the oldies like Sasha/Digweed etc. I don't mind the latter but I've seen them play many times before so I'd like something fresh. I'd loving kill to see 16 Bit Lolitas play. Have you seen them yourself?

nah i have pretty much the same problem being in Seattle, I have seen Gui Boratto though and he's ace

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Funyon posted:

Depends on what kind of metal you are looking for really. There's a lot of power metal with the whole orchestra stuff, but for specifically keyboards/pianos Sonata Arctica does a lot of that:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUszotxuwGo&feature=related

And then there are bands that use the more orchestral stuff and throw in pianos from time to time like Kamelot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4wV4rxTqfU&feature=related
All their ballads and such are entirely piano based but not exactly metal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEJ9tCdQVwE&feature=related

If you want something closer to Black Metal Munky's Mirrorthrone recommendation is probably as good as you'll get.

Also there's this obscure Japanese band, Mutyumu:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiGNYfPgHlU

A lot of their songs are really varied and they jump genres a lot so if you don't like specific parts of it jump around on youtube and you may find a song to like.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I noticed that I like songs with soft backing vocals, such as Drinkin in L.A. by Bran Van 3000, or Blown a Wish by My Bloody Valentine (just two examples). Songs where background vocals are used more like an instrument. It sounds great, but I only know a few songs made this way, can anyone recommend anything?

Also, nobody answered me a page back, anything similar to PJ Harvey? I like all of her albums, favorites are probably To Bring You My Love and Is This Desire?

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Anyone able to recommend anything similar to:

The Dangerous Summer
The Starting Line
The Spill Canvas

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Hirez posted:

Anyone able to recommend anything similar to:

The Dangerous Summer
The Starting Line
The Spill Canvas
I only know The Starting Line. Have you done the well-known stuff like Saves The Day already? You might also try The Juliana Theory.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
Hey guys, I am looking for some cool music with no lyrics. I need music when I'm doing lots of monotonous writing work, but hearing words messes up my own verbal flow. I already have a ton of movie and game soundtracks (if there's anyone out there half as awesome as John Powell, I must know) and video game remixes and junk, but I think my iPod is already nerdy enough. Classical music doesn't really work because any of it that I like well enough to listen to is so grand and complex that it's kind of overpowering. What I'd like is some really absorbing, enveloping, "full"-sounding electronic stuff with some semblance of melodies, like Air, Goldfrapp, Garbage, Birdy Nam Nam, and Röyksopp. (Those aren't all lyricless, just examples of the "flavor" I'm looking for.) Dance music, I guess, but with a real "wall of sound" feel. Nothing stripped-down.

Thanks a bunch!

Cichlid the Loach fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 28, 2009

nckomodo
Aug 14, 2007
Ronald Regans mother
In desperate need of new music looking for something along the lines of either binaerpilot, mogwai, four tet, or ratatat. Preferably little to no vocals.

Darth Brookz
May 20, 2006

Cichlid the Loach posted:

Hey guys, I am looking for some cool music with no lyrics. I need music when I'm doing lots of monotonous writing work, but hearing words messes up my own verbal flow. I already have a ton of movie and game soundtracks (if there's anyone out there half as awesome as John Powell, I must know) and video game remixes and junk, but I think my iPod is already nerdy enough. Classical music doesn't really work because any of it that I like well enough to listen to is so grand and complex that it's kind of overpowering. What I'd like is some really absorbing, enveloping, "full"-sounding electronic stuff with some semblance of melodies, like Air, Goldfrapp, Garbage, Birdy Nam Nam, and Röyksopp. (Those aren't all lyricless, just examples of the "flavor" I'm looking for.) Dance music, I guess, but with a real "wall of sound" feel. Nothing stripped-down.

Thanks a bunch!

Boards of Canada sounds like they might be up your alley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRRTOnXOZsM

if you have heard of them.. sorry!

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Looking for disco/french house. Anything that brings the funk. Daft Punk/Justice is somewhat long the lines, but I'm really looking for something with more soul and disco samples. Gay club music, probably.

Examples include, but are not limited to, Houzecrushers - Touch me, Kingpinz - On My Knees, Freemasons - When you touch me.

Artist suggestions would be good, singles would be great. Looking to build a collection here.

Canned
Jun 30, 2009

Cichlid the Loach posted:

Thanks a bunch!

You might like the books i would recommend their album The Lemon of Pink, Some of there songs they sing in but most of their songs tend to be just instrumentals, If you want some really throwback dance/electronic music there's always kraftwerk.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

the posted:

Looking for disco/french house. Anything that brings the funk. Daft Punk/Justice is somewhat long the lines, but I'm really looking for something with more soul and disco samples. Gay club music, probably.

Examples include, but are not limited to, Houzecrushers - Touch me, Kingpinz - On My Knees, Freemasons - When you touch me.

Artist suggestions would be good, singles would be great. Looking to build a collection here.

david guetta, stardust, dimitri from paris, bob sinclar, antoine claraman. the dutch, german, french and italian funky house / disco house scenes cross over a lot though so if you're interested in non french producers also try mousse t, armand van helden, olav basoski, erick morillo and kid creme. if you just want hits though try and track down one of ministry of sound's ibiza or summer compilations from like 1998-2005 (electro has gotten way more popular than funky/disco in the past couple years)

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 30, 2009

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.
I'm looking for some good experimental rock, the weirder the better. Recently, one of my brothers hooked me up with some Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, and I'm looking for anything remotely similar.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Poop Delicatessen posted:

I'm looking for some good experimental rock, the weirder the better. Recently, one of my brothers hooked me up with some Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, and I'm looking for anything remotely similar.

miasma & the carousel of headless horses, mr bungle & other mike patton stuff (fantomas, tomahawk), naked city, idiot flesh, secret chiefs 3, if you like frank zappa and captain beefheart sort of stuff then try the avant-prog/rock in opposition guys (henry cow, art bears, univers zero etc)

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.

etard knievel posted:

miasma & the carousel of headless horses, mr bungle & other mike patton stuff (fantomas, tomahawk), naked city, idiot flesh, secret chiefs 3, if you like frank zappa and captain beefheart sort of stuff then try the avant-prog/rock in opposition guys (henry cow, art bears, univers zero etc)

This is all badass, thanks.

Darth Brookz
May 20, 2006
If you are looking for the extra extra weird mix..

try Sunburned Hand of the Man -- has members of secret chiefs/mr. bungle

a few albums can be straight up experimental rock.. others more experimental

also related

Caroliner, Faxed Head, Sun City Girls

sixteenstraws
May 7, 2009

slave to a label but I own my masters

sun city girls
thinking fellers union local 282
bondage fruit
u.s maple
liars
kayo dot
caroliner

not all are exactly 'rock' but theyre really good + wierd

ToxicWind
May 23, 2006

Impossible! There is no intelligent life form capable of escaping the labyrinth of the multiverse!
How about a recommendation for someone that likes:
Sunset Rubdown
Dirty Projectors
St. Vincent
Page France
But absolutely hates Animal Collective and anything that remotely sounds like them.

aude omnia
Nov 14, 2004

Darth Brookz posted:

Boards of Canada sounds like they might be up your alley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRRTOnXOZsM

if you have heard of them.. sorry!
Never apologize for Boards of Canada! I've started using them while I write, too. Ulrich Schnauss might also serve this purpose well.

I need to broaden my horizons. I'm a huge Buck 65 dork and like Aesop Rock, El-P, Pharoahe Monch's album "Desire," Del, Immortal Technique, and some Jay-Z and Kanye tracks. I've listened to some high-weirdness rap & hip-hop like B. Dolan and Why?, but I could always use new names or more local acts I haven't heard of. :)

aude omnia fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jul 1, 2009

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Well I figured someone else would recommend them, but you need to get some stuff by The Residents. Absolutely essential experimental rock, people usually say start with The Commercial Album which is many short songs made to be advertisement jingles. Personally I like Third Reich n' Roll the most but either way you need to get something from them.

Bean_
Oct 6, 2006

by Ozma

nckomodo posted:

In desperate need of new music looking for something along the lines of either binaerpilot, mogwai, four tet, or ratatat. Preferably little to no vocals.

Try this goon music out:

Kevin Carafa:
http://www.myspace.com/catchymyspaceurl
His last two albums were really good, in my opinion. Free to download on this page. Its a little harder than mogwai, but worth a listen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
What's some good aggressive-sounding electronica along the lines of the Prodigy?