Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flappin fish
Jul 4, 2005

Casao posted:

Report a site problem and see if it gets fixed, my completely out there guess is that it's not being supported because of the <b> tag in the fall back text, because otherwise I don't see why it wouldn't be working.

I'm not sure if it's a site problem. http://dev.opera.com/articles/view/a-call-for-video-on-the-web-opera-vid/ has a few sample videos, none of which work for me in the latest weekly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Casao posted:

Report a site problem and see if it gets fixed, my completely out there guess is that it's not being supported because of the <b> tag in the fall back text, because otherwise I don't see why it wouldn't be working.

Even when you completely edit out the fallback text and reload from cache it doesn't work. My guess is that the feature only worked in that one labs preview version.

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

stupid babies need the most attention
I'm still having big problems with Opera's mail client in 9.64, and I can't download my mail again. It gets stuck at the "Fetching measures (0/X)" part and doesn't report any error messages that I can use to try to get to the bottom of the issue. I used to be able to get around it by deleting spam mail in my inbox using webmail, but now all that's left in there is important messages and it still won't download. Worse yet, the problem happens on Opera across all supported platforms, and if I try to download my mail using some other POP3 mail client it works great. So something's hosed with Opera.

It all started around when my computer crashed and I had to run chkdsk on the partition that Opera's on. I have a feeling something is corrupted. Is there anyway to get Opera's mail client to rebuild all of its various data files or otherwise start over from scratch, but without losing all my emails? Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Make a backup of your Opera stuff and install the latest beta version. On one of the updates it told me it needed to do some maintenance on my mail stores and spent 10 minutes working. Maybe that'll help you too.

Alternatively you could maybe try importing the emails manually into a fresh installation via the file>export/import menu.

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

Mithaldu posted:

Alternatively you could maybe try importing the emails manually into a fresh installation via the file>export/import menu.
Just tried this and it did the trick. Thanks for the tip! I didn't think I could do that at first, because there was no option to export mail before I imported it again. And then further investigation revealed it can just import mail from any existing Opera installation.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Great to hear it worked out. Also gives me more incentive to play around a bit with removing parts of my email store to backup, as it gets pretty old to have it handle as much mail as i have all the time.

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

I take it back - it didn't work out. I just realized that all the old emails I imported are blank. Back to square one, I suppose.

edit: And I just switched back to the old Opera installation from earlier from which I imported all of my old emails, and they're blank there too. So it looks like 2 years worth of work emails just went kaputz. The only clue I have is that every time I select the email to read them, and then select another email, the icon next to the first email I selected turns from a grayed out envelope into a down arrow. Is there anything I can maybe do to recover them?

GuyGizmo fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 1, 2009

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

New build released, check your autoupdater.

Mostly just bug fixes, no new features. Looks like we're getting close to 10 stable.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Manky posted:

You're right, it is the default behavior, but on a Mac laptop I'm always command-clicking, which I guess is something else. Guess I just need to use my travel mouse more.

If I am understanding what you want to do, if you shift-command-click, links open up in a backgraound tab.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Figures. The one time I do try to use the auto-update feature, it says I have the latest version installed.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Sergeant Hobo posted:

Figures. The one time I do try to use the auto-update feature, it says I have the latest version installed.

Check opera:config and make sure "Download All Snapshots" under Auto Update is checked.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Casao posted:

Check opera:config and make sure "Download All Snapshots" under Auto Update is checked.

I remember checking that in an earlier snapshot but it must have gotten overriden. Thanks.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

kapalama posted:

If I am understanding what you want to do, if you shift-command-click, links open up in a backgraound tab.

No, I know, the thing is I want to make tabs open in the background by default. Just so that Opera isn't the only browser I use that'll open tabs actively when I command-click them. It's just me being dumb and OCD, but I'm surprised that it's not an option given the level of customization Opera offers.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->
It appears that Opera's long-time problem of looking like poo poo in Linux is gone in Opera 10. I can actually use it in Linux now! :woop:

Edit: And it appears Adobe finally pulled their head out of their rear end and released a 64-bit flash plugin. :)

Cosmopolitan fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jul 2, 2009

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

New Weekly up from the 3rd, still not on autoupdate though.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Casao posted:

New Weekly up from the 3rd, still not on autoupdate though.

Just installed this. The default skin has gotten a blue-ish tint (somewhere between an actual blue and a gray). I kind of liked the previous one but this one seems OK too.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Sergeant Hobo posted:

Just installed this. The default skin has gotten a blue-ish tint (somewhere between an actual blue and a gray). I kind of liked the previous one but this one seems OK too.

Did you look in the skin options? You can probably choose a tint and put it back if you want.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Lakitu7 posted:

Did you look in the skin options? You can probably choose a tint and put it back if you want.

I did but didn't see anything about "Darker" or just plain "Black." Nearly everything else is on there though.

Rabid Koala
Aug 18, 2003

I searched the thread and couldn't find the answer to this. How do you prevent Opera from moving to the next page in a thread on SA when using Spacebar to scroll down? I'm using OS X.

Casao posted:

Preferences > Advanced > Shortcuts

Edit Keyboard shortcuts

Search for space

Delete the one with an action of "Fast Forward"

That worked. Thanks!

Rabid Koala fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 5, 2009

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Rabid Koala posted:

I searched the thread and couldn't find the answer to this. How do you prevent Opera from moving to the next page in a thread on SA when using Spacebar to scroll down? I'm using OS X.

Wait, you can use spacebar to scroll down? :aaa:

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Rabid Koala posted:

Preferences > Advanced > Shortcuts

Edit Keyboard shortcuts

Search for space

Delete the one with an action of "Fast Forward"

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Sergeant Hobo posted:

Wait, you can use spacebar to scroll down? :aaa:

Another "drat that's cool!" moment brought to you (and me) by Opera. As much as I love Opera, I wonder how much more I owuld love it if I knew all the tricks.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Here you go then: http://help.opera.com/Windows/9.60/en/keyboard.html

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Has anyone discovered a way to disable the new tabs thing? It's cute, but I don't like it. I keep middle clicking to close tabs and missing by a bit and suddenly my tab bar takes up 1/4 of my screen. Like to disable it, if anyone knows how.

Edit: Just figured it out, in case anyone wants to know: opera:config#UserPrefs|UseThumbnailsInsideTabs

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Casao posted:

Has anyone discovered a way to disable the new tabs thing? It's cute, but I don't like it. I keep middle clicking to close tabs and missing by a bit and suddenly my tab bar takes up 1/4 of my screen. Like to disable it, if anyone knows how.

Edit: Just figured it out, in case anyone wants to know: opera:config#UserPrefs|UseThumbnailsInsideTabs
I'm looking forward to see if Mozilla's user challenge to find a replacement for tabs yields anything interesting (their logo redesign sure as hell didn't).

I'm the kind of person who uses at least twenty tabs at at time, and there just aren't any browsers who address this near-satisfactorily.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

ufarn posted:

I'm looking forward to see if Mozilla's user challenge to find a replacement for tabs yields anything interesting (their logo redesign sure as hell didn't).

I'm the kind of person who uses at least twenty tabs at at time, and there just aren't any browsers who address this near-satisfactorily.
Usually when operas tabs go above 50, i switch to the "Windows" panel which has handy 'quick find' filtering to quickly switch and drag tabs between Opera windows - it even has multiselect with shift or ctrl. Im still looking for a better "Sort" option, though i guess the name sorting is okay in most cases.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Usually when operas tabs go above 50, i switch to the "Windows" panel which has handy 'quick find' filtering to quickly switch and drag tabs between Opera windows - it even has multiselect with shift or ctrl. Im still looking for a better "Sort" option, though i guess the name sorting is okay in most cases.

I've always wanted to be able to drag tabs between windows and now I find out it's been built-in all this time. :(

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

NashAsh posted:

I've always wanted to be able to drag tabs between windows and now I find out it's been built-in all this time. :(
Uhm, why didnt you just, you know, try to actually "drag and drop" them between windows (on the tab bar that is) like you can do in a single window to manually reorder them? Granted, its one at a time, but its still more intuitive. Also grabbing a tab and pulling it outside of the window (or on areas that cant 'process' tab drops) automatically opens the tab in a new window. It doesnt even reload/refresh the page, so movieplayers just keep on playing.

God drat opera, why is your weakest point your piss poor declaration/advertising of gui-features. :argh:

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 6, 2009

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

ufarn posted:

I like Tree Style Tabs on Firefox. It works in a similar way to the folders tree in Windows Explorer.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Being able to categorize my tabs, be it by colour, space separation or anything else would probably end most of my woes. I wish I could post the suggestion on Opera's forums, but as my user name is my full name, I'm not likely to do it, but if anyone else wants to.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

ufarn posted:

Being able to categorize my tabs, be it by colour, space separation or anything else would probably end most of my woes. I wish I could post the suggestion on Opera's forums, but as my user name is my full name, I'm not likely to do it, but if anyone else wants to.

Dude, make a new loving My.Opera account if you're going to bitch every time it comes up that you used your full name.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Uhm, why didnt you just, you know, try to actually "drag and drop" them between windows (on the tab bar that is) like you can do in a single window to manually reorder them? Granted, its one at a time, but its still more intuitive. Also grabbing a tab and pulling it outside of the window (or on areas that cant 'process' tab drops) automatically opens the tab in a new window. It doesnt even reload/refresh the page, so movieplayers just keep on playing.

God drat opera, why is your weakest point your piss poor declaration/advertising of gui-features. :argh:

I knew about dragging a tab outside to create a new window, in fact, as you said, to make it easier to watch videos. But the last time I tried to drag tabs between windows it didn't work. Maybe because I didn't drag the tab to the tab bar?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I was just installing some Greasemonkey script, and when I started Opera again, all my tabs were gone(!). Now Opera won't load my session, but starts with a blank page.

Anyone experiencing the same thing (running the latest Snapshots)?

EDIT: Weird; now it's loading some previous tabs, but only SOME of them. Odd. EDIT: And now it won't. Sporadic, I guess.

EDIT2: And I've only JUST found the hidden Restore Previous Session (autosaved) - too late for me to restore the session, since it's already been succeeded (or any of my previous crashes). I think Opera confuses "features" with "easter eggs".

ufarn fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 6, 2009

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->
New snapshot build, run Auto Update. New error/about page is prettier. :)

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Stupid question: How do I force Speed Dial to update its website snapshot?

davebees
Feb 18, 2009

kapalama posted:

Stupid question: How do I force Speed Dial to update its website snapshot?

Right click the thumbnail and hit 'Reload'. Or just press F5 on a new tab to update 'em all.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->
Does anyone know if it's possible to make the "Download Finished" notification pop up, even for downloads that complete instantaneously? I never know if the download's done, or just taking a bit to finish, and I always have to open the Download Manager to find out.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Opera can do the dumbest stuff:

XHTML, javascript and SVG This page works in Firefox as well.

User javascript file that does the same effect on every web page

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Wheany posted:

Opera can do the dumbest stuff

I think I have a new toy for when I need to screenshot something extremely obvious.

Speaking of the obvious, and this is probably more user error than anything: just upgraded VLC to 1.0.0, but something flipped out and now Opera no longer has the plugin for streaming audio/video. I cannot figure out how to get ANY player on this PC (vista 64-bit) to recognize Opera 9.64 as something needing a goddamn hand here. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Trying to use the link that a busted stream gives me takes me to Microsoft's site for... XP downloads of WMP, no plugin, and none on their site for Vista I can find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Wheany posted:

Opera can do the dumbest stuff:

This definitely has the potential to catch on. :laugh:

Question is: is there a(n easy) way to turn on/off individual UserJS scripts?