Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Brookz
May 20, 2006

guppy posted:

What's some good aggressive-sounding electronica along the lines of the Prodigy?

An Albatross comes to mind when I think of aggressive electronica. Though nothing like prodigy.

http://www.myspace.com/analbatross23

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
What's someone that sounds a lot like Mustard Pimp? I really like that, and I've dipped my toes into Crookers and the like, but I think I'm kind of at a crossroads between french house/electro and dubstep. I prefer Goose over Crookers, if that's any help. I'm familiar with some house music, though, particularly the Ed Banger set.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.

Bean_ posted:

Whether you want to hear it or not, this is your entrance into metal. There's no going back now. :)

Sorry for taking so long to reply. I'm not exactly new to metal - I normally listen to stuff like Killswitch Engage (my favorite band), Slipknot, All That Remains, Trivium, etc. I was just looking for something a little different (but still metal) ;)

I only started giving Lacuna Coil a serious listen like last year after I heard "Heaven's A Lie" on the Headbanger's Ball album. I picked up Comalies (which was good, but I didn't think it was their best) based on that. Later, I heard a few songs from Karmakode (thank you Rock Band!) and picked that up too. Then I got to see them live on the Music as a Weapon 09 tour (they were awesome) so I decided to get Shallow Life, and have not been disappointed; it's probably their hardest album so far (one or two songs I skip through, but overall a good album). They have pretty much spurred my interest into female-fronted metal.

I guess the point is I normally listen to more "conventional" metal, but have lately been discovering (and thoroughly enjoying) the more "gothic" or "symphonic" stuff. Especially when a chick is fronting the band. Something about the blending of pretty (yeah I said it) vocals mixed with awesome metal music appeals to me.

Thanks for the recommends, I'll have a listen at them when I get home from work :)

EDIT: In case anyone else wants more stuff like I've been looking at, I'd like to recommend a few myself:

Krypteria: German band fronted by a Korean chick, Ji-in Cho. She doesn't quite have the high vocal range of a lot of singers, but she's still pretty good and the band is super-talented. All Systems Go is probably my favorite Krypteria song (bad-rear end guitar solo, right up there with Adam D. from KSE imo).
All Systems Go, from the album Blood Angel's Cry

Within Temptation: Dutch band. The singer, Sharon den Adel, has a really nice voice with good range, and it mixes well with the band's metal music. The Howling is my favorite song of theirs so far.
The Howling, from the album The Heart of Everything

Lullacry: Recommended to me in this very thread (thanks guys :) ). From Finland (why are the awesome chick-fronted bands always foreign?) and fronted by Tanja Lainio. She has a decent voice; not as pretty as Sharon den Adel's, but better range than Ji-in Cho. Crucify My Heart is the only album I've listened to so far, but I'm liking it a lot, and will probably check out their other stuff soon.
Crucify My Heart, from the album of the same name

Lacuna Coil: Italian band fronted by the hot hot Christina Scabbia. She's got a really great voice, and the band is awesome. The other singer, Andrea, has improved his English since their last couple albums, and Shallow Life is probably their best album so far, imo. If you're into this kind of music and haven't ever given them a good listen, you ought to. They did a pretty awesome cover of Depeche Mode's Enjoy the Silence.
Spellbound, from their new album Shallow Life
Enjoy the Silence, covered on their album Karmakode

Jadz fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jul 16, 2009

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

guppy posted:

What's some good aggressive-sounding electronica along the lines of the Prodigy?

The entire genre of breakbeat hardcore.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

guppy posted:

crystal method, chemical brothers, hexstatic, overseers, junkie xl (there is much much more aggressive stuff out there though in a variety of genres - acid techno, hard techno, gabba, breakcore, noise, hard house & trance, etc - anything with 'hard' or 'core' or 'hardcore' in the name is probably a good bet, except happy hardcore)

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

guppy posted:

Pro-tip: A lot of people will look down on you for saying "electronica." It's not really a genre and more of a pop-culture word. What you're looking for is big beat, hard dance, hard techno maybe.

http://www.di.fm/mp3/harddance.pls

EDIT: ^^ haha, definitely let him listen to happy hardcore.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Haha, I've heard happy hardcore. Ugh.

I said "electronica" because I was under the impression that it was a catch-all term for electronic music, as opposed to something like "techno" which has a specific subgenre connotation. Is there a better word to use?

Thanks for the leads, all.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I get bogged down by all the electronic music subgenres, but this website is amazing for identifying them all, showing the connections between them, and providing samples of the various styles:

http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

guppy posted:

I said "electronica" because I was under the impression that it was a catch-all term for electronic music, as opposed to something like "techno" which has a specific subgenre connotation. Is there a better word to use?
"Electronic music" is the least likely to draw ire. Really though, plenty of people don't have a problem with "electronica". There are people who will get huffy about it, but really just because for a long time "electronica" was mostly a word used by people unfamiliar with the music. In terms of being a descriptive and concise genre name, it serves the purpose pretty well (whereas "electronic music" feels kind of stilted).

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

i just say 'dance music' for stuff like house and techno and 'electronic' if i'm including stuff like ambient or experimental or video game soundtracks that isn't really dancey, those shouldn't piss anyone off fwiw.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Electronic music is the umbrella term.

Dance music is poo poo played in clubs, which would include stuff like Britney spears.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I use 'electronic music' when describing what kind of music I like to the old and uninformed. Otherwise I'll just say the specific genres.

Speaking of happy hardcore I youtubed some the other day to remind me what it sounded like. Jesus gently caress. How I ever listened to that in my youth I have no idea. Was there no other kind of dance music? What the gently caress was I thinking. I actually had to turn it off I was cringing so hard.

Splash Damage
May 23, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Are there any actual (good) bands who play folk music?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Splash Damage posted:

Try Crooked Still.

I guess they are more folky/bluegrass. Still good though, been addicted to them for months.

iSheep fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jul 4, 2009

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

Splash Damage posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Anthology-American-Music-Edited-Harry/dp/B000001DJU/

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Splash Damage posted:

What the gently caress kind of question is this? "Folk music" is an enormous umbrella genre covering thousand years of musical tradition, from all continents and countries, not just anglophone music that vaguely resembles Bob Dylan. That's like asking if there are any good bands that play rock music, except that there is infinitely much more variety in folk than rock. StevieB's suggestion is a good starting place for American folk music, but really, you could go through some kind of minimal effort to research poo poo before throwing an utterly inane question to this thread.

Splash Damage
May 23, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I should have mentioned that I was looking for European (Preferrably east-European) folk music with instruments like accordion, some "hey-hey" singing and stuff like that.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Splash Damage posted:

I should have mentioned that I was looking for European (Preferrably east-European) folk music with instruments like accordion, some "hey-hey" singing and stuff like that.

There's still a shitload of that, have you even gone to the ethnic/folk section at the store or on amazon or anything? There's at least a hundred 'gypsy folk' compilations from Roma bands and other bands/series that get into the wide range of folk traditions in eastern europe, start with a general one and then explore individual countries and ethnic groups (klezmer, turkish folk, hungarian, baltic stuff, russian and former USSR, etc all have distinct sounds and styles though the chord progressions and instruments may be similar). Taraf de Haidouks is a good start. The "hey hey hey" thing is more common in Russian music though.

*edit for more helpful: i'm not trying to be mean it's just that looking for the 'best' folk bands is kind of pointless because the best ones are most likely gonna be living in a village you've never even heard of with no cds released, and pretty much the ones who got famous are all excellent instrumentalists with a good grasp of the traditional songs in their region, but the history and stuff is all going to be somewhat faked and whitewashed for marketing in the west, it's difficult to know whether what you're getting is 'authentic' if you're not a folklorist but even the 'unauthentic' music is still going to sound like what you want

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 4, 2009

Splash Damage
May 23, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

etard knievel posted:

Taraf de Haidouks

They are great, thanks!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I'm looking for some abrasive noise rock along the lines of Big Black and "From Her to Eternity"-era Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds.

Frederik
Aug 9, 2008
What's something that sounds like Dispatch and State Radio? A friend recommended Guster and they're pretty good aswell. Also looking for something similar to A Perfect Circle (not Tool and Puscifer). Thanks!

sixteenstraws
May 7, 2009

slave to a label but I own my masters

BOOM! DOCTA WATSON posted:

I'm looking for some abrasive noise rock along the lines of Big Black and "From Her to Eternity"-era Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds.

the birthday party
shellac
rapeman
the jesus lizard
witch hats
young widows

hell, pretty much everything on amphetamine reptile records. they've released a few comps called 'dope, guns & loving in the streets' which you should check out.

+ http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3144210

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

BOOM! DOCTA WATSON posted:

The Young Gods and everything the guy before me mentioned.

edit: and Boris, the albums Pink and Smile and whatnot

Technetium fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 5, 2009

PerniciousContusion
Jan 21, 2007
Most Exalted Potentate
I'm looking for solo acoustic guitar similar to Kaki King, Sir Richard Bishop, James Blackshaw, etc. Not a huge fan of new age-y poo poo, but I'll try anything once. Suggestions?

Darth Brookz
May 20, 2006

PatronSaintONothing posted:

I'm looking for solo acoustic guitar similar to Kaki King, Sir Richard Bishop, James Blackshaw, etc. Not a huge fan of new age-y poo poo, but I'll try anything once. Suggestions?

How about some Jack Rose?

PerniciousContusion
Jan 21, 2007
Most Exalted Potentate

Darth Brookz posted:

How about some Jack Rose?

actually, I already own Kensington Blues, which just means that you made an excellent recommendation. got any other artists in mind?

Darth Brookz
May 20, 2006
Maybe some stuff by Six Organs of Admittance

here's a good one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtO8SoFpPPg&feature=related

and Wooden Wand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01o0Ul1HRF4

wouldn't be surprised if you have heard of these two either though!

Also, one of Sunburned Hand of the Man's guitarist's is doing a solo acoustic thing under Head of Wantastiquet : Heres the myspace : http://www.myspace.com/headofwantastiquet

Another one is an experimental acoustic group that goes by Enos Slaughter - can't find a myspace

Enos also has members of Sunburned, No-Neck Blues Band, and D. Charles Speer < who are also all other decent recommendations.

Woops, also forgot to mention I found this compilation album titled "Wooden Guitar" and features four solo acoustic musicians all playing long pieces. Here is a list of the songs/artist - two of which have been mentioned already!

Side A
1. Jack Rose - Red Horse (14:41)

Side B
1. Steffen Basho-Junghans - A North Thuringian Raga (14:27)

Side C
1. Tetuzi Akiyama - Time Between (20:39)

Side D
1. Steffen Basho-Junghans - Smiling Penguins (5:06)
2. Sir Richard Bishop - Corpuscle (15:17)

Darth Brookz fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 6, 2009

flavaaDAAAAAVE
Jun 2, 2008
I'm on a Blues kick right now. I've been listening to The Black Keys, Dan Auerbach's solo stuff and B B King, but since I've never looked into the genre before I don't know where to go next. If I could also get some recommendations for some blues/jazz fusion I would appreciate that as well.

PerniciousContusion
Jan 21, 2007
Most Exalted Potentate

Darth Brookz posted:

all kinds of goodness

thanks! really digging Head of Wantastiquet in particular

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
Here is an odd request. Would anyone recommend Solange Knoweles? As it turns out I must have downloaded her album at some point and I have never heard her, so I'm thinking I must have heard it recommended, or a good review of it or something.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

Here is an odd request. Would anyone recommend Solange Knoweles? As it turns out I must have downloaded her album at some point and I have never heard her, so I'm thinking I must have heard it recommended, or a good review of it or something.

Has it occurred to you that it might be easier to just listen to it than to ask us?

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Munky from KORN posted:

Has it occurred to you that it might be easier to just listen to it than to ask us?

That would require going home, putting it on my iPod and then listening to it.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Do that.

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

I've just started listening to The Decemberists and really love them, where should I go for music similar to them?

Daryl Fucking Hall
Feb 27, 2007

Daryl ohhhhhhhh Daryl

Dear G*d, how will you form an opinion without us?!

Listening!? To MUSIC?!

Dadjacket
Jul 23, 2004

HIPSTER PITCHFORK CARDIGAN SCARF

bovis posted:

I've just started listening to The Decemberists and really love them, where should I go for music similar to them?

I would definitely check out Pitchforkmedia dot com. Particularly their Best New Music section from 2002-2006.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I have a flatmate that listens to almost nothing except hip-hop and metal. Now we share pretty similar tastes when it comes to the former but when it comes to metal I know close to nothing. Most of the stuff he plays isn't really my cup of tea- probably a bit too hard for my liking but every now and then I hear something I like. From the little I've heard of Between the Buried and Me I've liked. The breakdowns are great and the guy has a wicked voice. I've also enjoyed Black Dahlia Murder although I've probably only heard a couple of their tracks.

Metal certainly isn't something I listen to all the time but I'm interested in expanding my horizons and seeing what else is out there.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

flavaaDAAAAAVE posted:

I'm on a Blues kick right now. I've been listening to The Black Keys, Dan Auerbach's solo stuff and B B King, but since I've never looked into the genre before I don't know where to go next. If I could also get some recommendations for some blues/jazz fusion I would appreciate that as well.

I'm sure you've already checked him out, seeing as he's so popular, but if you somehow haven't you should definitely look into Stevie Ray Vaughan, he's easily one of the best blues guitarists I've ever heard. You should also try out some Albert King, he's similar to BB, though a bit more energetic. As for blues/jazz fusion, you should try Larry Carlton out, he's a really great guitarist whose playing is super-smooth, though he's a bit more jazz than blues.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.

Ewar Woowar posted:

I have a flatmate that listens to almost nothing except hip-hop and metal. Now we share pretty similar tastes when it comes to the former but when it comes to metal I know close to nothing. Most of the stuff he plays isn't really my cup of tea- probably a bit too hard for my liking but every now and then I hear something I like. From the little I've heard of Between the Buried and Me I've liked. The breakdowns are great and the guy has a wicked voice. I've also enjoyed Black Dahlia Murder although I've probably only heard a couple of their tracks.

Metal certainly isn't something I listen to all the time but I'm interested in expanding my horizons and seeing what else is out there.

Well, metal is a pretty broad term, and I don't listen to many bands that are quite as hard and heavy thrashing as Black Dhalia Murder or Between the Buried and Me, but based on your comment about most of that kind of stuff being a bit too hard for you, I'd like to make suggestions for some slightly less harsh metal that you might enjoy. Some of this stuff is similar to those two, but a lot of it is not quite so abrasive. Hopefully you'll hear something you like.

If you like growling/screaming vocals, I highly recommend Killswitch Engage. Really great guitar work, and the lead singer does lots of growling; but he also does some actual singing and the rest of the band's music is easier to understand and follow than some of the thrash stuff you posted. They're a nice medium between the super-heavy stuff your flatmate listens to and the softer stuff you might hear on the radio. Rose Of Sharyn is one of ther best songs, in my opinion.

Trivium is an excellent band who sounds more like classic metal than anything else most of the time. They do a lot of really technical music with clean guitar solos and fast, heavy drums. While some of their songs have lots of screaming (like the one I linked), the singer doesn't do a lot of screaming in most of their songs, so if you want a heavier emphasis on loud vocals, these guys might not be for you. And Sadness Will Sear is more representative of the kind of music they usually do.

Some older Slipknot may be more to your liking if you are enjoying the heavy, fast-paced styles of bands like Black Dhalia. The singer growls more than screams, but their music more than makes up for it. Most of their stuff sounds like the first one I linked, and like My Plague.

Mushroomhead is pretty similar to Slipknot (though hardcore fans of one usually hate the other because of stupid fanboi crap that I'm not into). Another good song of theirs is Kill Tomorrow. The video is kind of stupid, but the song pretty much defines their style.

Other stuff you may like, ranging from more melodic to thrashing:
Shadows Fall
Destroyer of Senses
The Light That Blinds

Sevendust
Leech
Separate

Lamb of God
Ruin
Laid to Rest

Kittie
Brackish
Spit

In Flames
Trigger
Cloud Connected

Ill Niņo
When It Cuts (ignore the stupid video, it's the best version of this song I could find)
Lifeless...Life...

From Autumn To Ashes
The After Dinner Payback
Where Do You Draw The Line

Demon Hunter
Our Faces Fall Apart
Everything Was White

Avenged Sevenfold
Unholy Confessions
Bat Country

All That Remains
Six
The Deepest Grey

36 Crazyfists
We Gave It Hell
At The End Of August (another stupid video, those are NOT the actual words he's showing, but it's the best-sounding one I could find)

Hope some of this grabs you :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Jadz posted:

Well, metal is a pretty broad term, and I don't listen to many bands that are quite as hard and heavy thrashing as Black Dhalia Murder or Between the Buried and Me, but based on your comment about most of that kind of stuff being a bit too hard for you, I'd like to make suggestions for some slightly less harsh metal that you might enjoy. Some of this stuff is similar to those two, but a lot of it is not quite so abrasive. Hopefully you'll hear something you like.

If you like growling/screaming vocals, I highly recommend Killswitch Engage. Really great guitar work, and the lead singer does lots of growling; but he also does some actual singing and the rest of the band's music is easier to understand and follow than some of the thrash stuff you posted. They're a nice medium between the super-heavy stuff your flatmate listens to and the softer stuff you might hear on the radio. Rose Of Sharyn is one of ther best songs, in my opinion.

Trivium is an excellent band who sounds more like classic metal than anything else most of the time. They do a lot of really technical music with clean guitar solos and fast, heavy drums. While some of their songs have lots of screaming (like the one I linked), the singer doesn't do a lot of screaming in most of their songs, so if you want a heavier emphasis on loud vocals, these guys might not be for you. And Sadness Will Sear is more representative of the kind of music they usually do.

Some older Slipknot may be more to your liking if you are enjoying the heavy, fast-paced styles of bands like Black Dhalia. The singer growls more than screams, but their music more than makes up for it. Most of their stuff sounds like the first one I linked, and like My Plague.

Mushroomhead is pretty similar to Slipknot (though hardcore fans of one usually hate the other because of stupid fanboi crap that I'm not into). Another good song of theirs is Kill Tomorrow. The video is kind of stupid, but the song pretty much defines their style.

Other stuff you may like, ranging from more melodic to thrashing:
Shadows Fall
Destroyer of Senses
The Light That Blinds

Sevendust
Leech
Separate

Lamb of God
Ruin
Laid to Rest

Kittie
Brackish
Spit

In Flames
Trigger
Cloud Connected

Ill Niņo
When It Cuts (ignore the stupid video, it's the best version of this song I could find)
Lifeless...Life...

From Autumn To Ashes
The After Dinner Payback
Where Do You Draw The Line

Demon Hunter
Our Faces Fall Apart
Everything Was White

Avenged Sevenfold
Unholy Confessions
Bat Country

All That Remains
Six
The Deepest Grey

36 Crazyfists
We Gave It Hell
At The End Of August (another stupid video, those are NOT the actual words he's showing, but it's the best-sounding one I could find)

Hope some of this grabs you :)

Wow epic post! Thanks man, I'll start checking these out :) I'll let you know what I think.