Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Eddain posted:

Man, navigating the Japanese PSN is impossible when you don't know any Japanese at all. I managed to make an account but I'm pretty much blindly stumbling through the menus.

I think I'll just login on the 13th and hopefully the Vesperia demo will be on the front page.

I know absolutely zero Japanese and when I started visiting the Japanese PSN back in '07 I figured it all out in fifteen minutes. Here, I'll give you a little run down on how the Japanese PSN is set-up. I imagine all the cool PS3 dudes here may want to read this poo poo too.

The newest poo poo is in the upper right hand corner, it'll probably be here on the 13th so click around there. The rotating ads in the middle will probably have it too, but on the left you have:

- Featured
- PS3 Games
- PSP Games
- PSOne Classics
- Downloadable Content and Themes
- Demos and Trailers (this is the one you'll want)
- Some sort of community gaming thing
- A-Z database

Just as a heads-up, the Japanese PSN typically only has some demos around for a limited time. They rotate, meaning that if the Vesperia demo gets old enough and enough new demos come out after it, it could disappear from general public after awhile. Shouldn't be a problem because the last PS3 demo to come out on Japanese PSN was "Legends of Wrestlemania" back in April.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The A-Z database is really a A-W database, though. Specifically, from top to bottom, A (followed by all vowels), K (and C), S, T, N, H, M, Y, R, W.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
So I played through the TOV PS3 demo. It's in Keiv Moc, all the party aside from Judith are present. However, Raven and Karol aren't playable, despite being present in skits and cutscenes :psyduck:. Patty's moves are pretty interesting by Tales series standards, with some of her attacks having special effects on them. Like, I noticed that her default X arte would sometimes heal her. Also, the one arcane arte she has access to has a unique card gimmick. Basically, 3 cards pop up over her head during the move, and choosing a card with either Circle, X or Square will do either nothing, add an explosion effect to her attack, heal her a bit or cause her to fail. I don't know if the cards are random or if there's a rule to it, but being able to read Japanese would probably help. The same goes for her Burst Arte too. Her attacks are a mix of melee and long range gunshots. Also, I'll go over the other differences from the 360 Vesperia I saw:

-In skits, character names are in a different colour.
-Font seems to be bolder.
-The cracked screen animation upon an encounter seems a little shorter, but load times for fights are a little longer than the 360 version.
-The Save/Load icon in the menu is different for some reason.
-THERE IS A SKIP SCENE FUNCTION!!!
-Also the PS3 version seems to have more slowdown than the 360 version.
-And you can change character's names.
-And you can set artes to L1+Button and L1+Right stick for a grand total of 12 artes.

My Crab is Fight fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 13, 2009

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I played it too...did it bug anyone else that when you end one of Yuri's standard attack strings, he does a little flip with his sword, leaving him wide open for counterattacks? I don't understand the design reason for that...

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
That bugs me in the 360 version too. I mean, adding little touches like that to the animation is a nice thing but if it takes so long the enemy can recover and hit you before YOU recover, there's something a little wrong there.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

BurningCourage posted:

That bugs me in the 360 version too. I mean, adding little touches like that to the animation is a nice thing but if it takes so long the enemy can recover and hit you before YOU recover, there's something a little wrong there.

I always thought they did that for balance.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I think they did it to encourage you to end standard attack strings with special attacks (they are called artes or something in English?), but I still don't like it.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

LorneReams posted:

I always thought they did that for balance.

What's balanced about being punished for getting a legitimate hit on an enemy? It's not like it matters TOO much, it being a mostly single-player RPG, but it's still annoying. I don't remember this happening in any of the other Tales games either.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So I'm playing though TOS a second time and I accidently used my All-divde that I got from the Teriet Ruins and with two hours worth of playthough between my last save and then I decided to let it go.

Question then; is there a way of geting a Second All-Devide before the Tower of Salvation or have I snookered myself as far as the second TOS boss is conerned.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

ConanThe3rd posted:

So I'm playing though TOS a second time and I accidently used my All-divde that I got from the Teriet Ruins and with two hours worth of playthough between my last save and then I decided to let it go.

Question then; is there a way of geting a Second All-Devide before the Tower of Salvation or have I snookered myself as far as the second TOS boss is conerned.

Not if you didn't steal from the fake. That said, he's totally beatable without an all-divide (ok I used one in my LP, but I was playing on mania and I came pretty close on my first attempt without one).

Cross
Mar 30, 2003

This was their new emblem.

BurningCourage posted:

What's balanced about being punished for getting a legitimate hit on an enemy? It's not like it matters TOO much, it being a mostly single-player RPG, but it's still annoying. I don't remember this happening in any of the other Tales games either.
It balances Yuri versus the other characters. He already gets all the overpowered Main-characteritis skills like Tension and Glory, he's the strongest physical character, and he's by far the best at stringing together combos without an Overlimit - so the main drawback to him is that he's kind of flatfooted animation-wise and leaves himself really open at the end of his attacks. It's a pretty good way of letting him have all the 'special' abilities like that without making him overshadow everybody else.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
I personally disagree that it's a good idea. If the only way Namco could think of to balance him was to make the recovery on some of his moves so long that he can be punished for hitting an enemy, even if they get knocked into the air, then I don't think they really gave a poo poo about balance. If he could get hit if his moves were blocked, then that would be perfectly fine. I guess it's because I play quite a few fighting games but the very idea of a move, any move, getting me hurt for scoring a hit with it doesn't sit very well with me. On block? Fine. But then again, who cares about balance in a JRPG? They're more fun when they can be totally broken :v:

I get the feeling that it wasn't an intentional thing, they just added all the sword flicks and poo poo onto his moves and he just ended up leaving himself really open after some of his moves.

And, saying this, if Yuri's Tales of VS counterpart is ripped directly from Vesperia, I have to wonder how well he'll do in that game.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

BurningCourage posted:

I personally disagree that it's a good idea. If the only way Namco could think of to balance him was to make the recovery on some of his moves so long that he can be punished for hitting an enemy, even if they get knocked into the air, then I don't think they really gave a poo poo about balance. If he could get hit if his moves were blocked, then that would be perfectly fine. I guess it's because I play quite a few fighting games but the very idea of a move, any move, getting me hurt for scoring a hit with it doesn't sit very well with me. On block? Fine. But then again, who cares about balance in a JRPG? They're more fun when they can be totally broken :v:

I get the feeling that it wasn't an intentional thing, they just added all the sword flicks and poo poo onto his moves and he just ended up leaving himself really open after some of his moves.

Haven't all main characters had this issue though? Lloyd from Tales of Symphonia does that huge spin after his last normal combo and leaves himself totally open to attacks. Luke is pretty slow himself and can get hit by especially fast enemies.

I think the long recovery after Yuri's normal combo makes the player rely more on guarding or backstepping. Otherwise you could completely dominate single enemies just by having Yuri spam normal attacks with no recovery period.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
I never noticed Lloyd's spin leaving him open to get hit by the same enemy it just hit though, but it's been a long while since I played Symphonia. And yes Luke was pretty loving slow too. I'm not saying that attacks should have no recovery, but just the right amount, so that scoring a hit with a standard string doesn't result in the enemy recovering faster that you, despite you scoring a hit.

Christ, this is one of the nerdiest discussions I've been in on this site :v:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Chiming in to say that Tales of Monkey Island is a pretty awesome game. First chapter released so far is great! :downsrim:

So which of these is a good one to start on, because I am well known to hate most JRPGs, but I loved Chrono Trigger, Fire Emblem, and Secret of Mana and a few goons have told me that I would apparently like this stuff.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Fuzz posted:

Chiming in to say that Tales of Monkey Island is a pretty awesome game. First chapter released so far is great! :downsrim:

So which of these is a good one to start on, because I am well known to hate most JRPGs, but I loved Chrono Trigger, Fire Emblem, and Secret of Mana and a few goons have told me that I would apparently like this stuff.

Depends on what systems you have access to. Symphonia is the oldest 3D Tales game, but is definitely worth playing (Gamecube). Stay away from its sequel.

I've heard varying reports about Abyss and haven't played it myself (PS2). I've heard a lot of bad things about Legendia (also PS2).

Vesperia is fantastic. It's also more polished than the other three, which may make it awkward to play them after playing it (360, PS3 port in Japan in Sept).

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Fuzz posted:

Tales games tend to be like Secret of Mana since they're very action-based. They don't play anything like Chrono Trigger (standard turn-based RPG) or Fire Emblem (strategy RPG).

If you can stand overly cliche Japanese stuff, Symphonia is a good start. If not, I'd suggest Abyss before Vesperia only because it's a progression of battle systems. If you played Vesperia first you might not like being reduced to Abyss' inferior combat.

Or, if you prefer classic games, you could start with the very first Tales of Phantasia (SNES/Famicom original, GBA remake, PSX remake). There's a hugely popular Famicom English translation rom floating around, I'd stay away from the GBA remake, and I'd recommend the PSX remake (there's already an English patch out for it). Phantasia is a 2D game, so think side-scrolling beat-them-up on a linear plane.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Eddain posted:

If not, I'd suggest Abyss before Vesperia only because it's a progression of battle systems. If you played Vesperia first you might not like being reduced to Abyss' inferior combat.

Seconding this. It was really hard to play Abyss after Vesperia because you feel really limited. I can imagine playing Vesperia after Abyss would help you take advantage of the battle system a lot quicker though.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Eddain posted:

If you can stand overly cliche Japanese stuff, Symphonia is a good start. If not, I'd suggest Abyss before Vesperia only because it's a progression of battle systems. If you played Vesperia first you might not like being reduced to Abyss' inferior combat.

If you don't want to play ToS, you could always check out my LP.

Skyelan
Sep 17, 2007

Time out a second, Abyss is fantastic, but should be given an accompanying warning, because if you don't know beforehand you'll wanna drop it almost instantly.

The main character starts out a complete and total unlikable douchebag, although unlike in most games where the star would get a 'get out of backlash' free card the party (including one awesome rear end in a top hat) almost never takes his bullshit. But anyway, he's a jerk for the sole purpose of getting one of the better examples of character development I've seen throughout the game.

tldr; Main character starts as annoying, he gets better.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Also if you dislike seeing technical problems in a game Abyss unfortunately runs fairly poorly for a PS2 game, with slowdowns on the world map and a few bizarre bugs, such as being able to remove the disc on the world map and travel almost anywhere on it, thus being able to get powerful equipment early in the game, and one that lets you ditch Luke forever. There's also the odd freeze.

My Crab is Fight fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 14, 2009

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The weirdest bug I ran into in Abyss was that the overworld music more or less got...lost? I posted about it earlier in the thread but basically at a certain point in the game if you loaded the game from the overworld map, it'd come up completely silent. After going into a town the game would then use that town theme when you'd exit back in the overworld. It eventually randomly fixes itself.

I also did notice that compared to Symphonia and Phantasia PSX, the load times for the battles and such were a lot longer in Abyss.

But considering I've played the Tales games in the following order: Symphonia, Phantasia PSX, and Abyss without having any difficulties with them, I think the "problems" in these games would only show up if you played the later ones like Vesperia first. I think if you play them in the order they came out you'll be good to go and the upgrades made in each game to make the experience smoother will be better appreciated.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
That music bug is in every single NA copy of the game. Apparently the Japanese version didn't have it so I don't know how that one slipped through.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
I'm at the end of Tales of Vesperia, and did I miss something or did they not entirely explain Zagi? I mean past the "he's trying to kill Flynn, then he gets obsessed with fighting you" bit. I assume he was either hired by or working for Levithan's Claw, but it's odd they didn't mention it.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

timeandtide posted:

I'm at the end of Tales of Vesperia, and did I miss something or did they not entirely explain Zagi? I mean past the "he's trying to kill Flynn, then he gets obsessed with fighting you" bit. I assume he was either hired by or working for Levithan's Claw, but it's odd they didn't mention it.

Zagi had an obsession with Yuri. That's about all there is to it and yes it doesn't really make sense.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Eddain posted:

Zagi had an obsession with Yuri. That's about all there is to it and yes it doesn't really make sense.

At first yeah he was working with Leviathan's Claw but then had that whole TIMELESS RIVALS thing going on with Yuri even if Yuri didn't give no gently caress about it.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I'm borrowing my friend's PS2 and I'm about 10 hours into Abyss having just finished Zao Ruins and was wondering if they did away with the Wonder Chef? I only have 3 recipes and I'm pretty thorough (I think). The only other Tales games I've beaten are Symphonia and Eternia which had the chef so I'm a bit worried I'm missing something.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Lakbay posted:

I'm borrowing my friend's PS2 and I'm about 10 hours into Abyss having just finished Zao Ruins and was wondering if they did away with the Wonder Chef? I only have 3 recipes and I'm pretty thorough (I think). The only other Tales games I've beaten are Symphonia and Eternia which had the chef so I'm a bit worried I'm missing something.

Yeah, Abyss went a different route. You learn new recipes through various events sometimes (sleeping at inns, talking to certain people) but most of the recipes are found in cookbooks (they appear as oversized notebooks in towns).

Eddain fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 15, 2009

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Calaveron posted:

At first yeah he was working with Leviathan's Claw but then had that whole TIMELESS RIVALS thing going on with Yuri even if Yuri didn't give no gently caress about it.

He was Yuri's "Team Rocket." :v:

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Calaveron posted:

I kinda thought that this was because you spanked him in the beginning and he never got over it. They mention other people he got obsessed with and killed and you were just the last one.

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI
I can tell already that, provided it comes out in the US, I will be importing the crap out of PS3 vesperia.

Because jesus christ gently caress waiting for a PAL release.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Have some footage of Collete and Lloyd in Tales of Versus. Watch as Lloyd hits someone with a full ground combo, launches them, hits them in the air, hits them with another ground arte, uses an Overlimit for a relaunch, hits them with ANOTHER arte, uses his Mystic Arte and does another combo :wtc:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Well, isn't this nice? Tales of Vesperia's PS3 demo contains initial English translation

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Also interesting is the new skill for Yuri that changes Crushing Eagle. I'm hoping it's for Guardian Frost, if not a new "Guardian Field" type arte.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
I hope Raven gets some new skills too. He was a fun character but pretty bad at locking down enemies or providing adequate cover.

I really liked spamming those homing arrows though.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
A little bit of new info on Tales of Graces now, there's two more characters revealed, and the game is supposed to be using the Chain Capacity system, last seen in Tales of Destiny PS2. Also, Dhaos, Barbatos, and Iria from Tales of Innocence are appearing in Tales of Versus, likely as playable characters. Flynn's new costume in Vesperia PS3 is a casual t-shirt and shorts. The shirt has Mieu on it too.

And the characters are:

Cheria Barnes (Red head)
18 years old
160cm
47Kg
Attacks: Thunderbolt, Nurse
Styles: Throwing knives, holy magic.
Hissatsuwaza: Asterism Line

Hubert Ozwell (Blue hair)
17 years old
171cm
62Kg
Attacks: Raigashourai, Rail Alors
Styles: Double-bladed sword, twin gun spells.
Hissatsuwaza: Instant Valse

Thanks dude on the official Tales boards.

My Crab is Fight fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 16, 2009

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Hissatsuwaza?

Also, is it just me or does Hubert look like he's an attempt at a younger Jade.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Nobody knows for sure what Hissatsuwaza is yet, but it's assumed that it's some form of special attack. Probably like Vesperia's Burst Artes.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Could someone please remind me what the "CC system" refers to? Google seems to just find this article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Lakitu7 posted:

Could someone please remind me what the "CC system" refers to? Google seems to just find this article.

Chain Capacity. It is freaking amazing to play as and I'll actually get Graces because of this.